Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Feels like two more players should be joining the team soon

Hoose

Two pretty glaring needs remain for the Colts:

1. Either starting or backup OG.

2. Another CB.

Each needs to be a veteran. Each should have a shot to start. With regard to CB, the future is full of hope and promise

but there is woefully little experience back there. 
Concerning the RG position, after the miserable experience the team went through last season, how can they roll the dice again with just Will Fries and no decent backup? I don’t see them doing that. 
Risner is still out there. He seems perfect given the Colts’ situation. Quite a few possibilities at CB. 
With camp just weeks away, something should happen soon. 

34 minutes ago, Hoose said:

2. Another CB.

Each needs to be a veteran. Each should have a shot to start. With regard to CB, the future is full of hope and promise

Concerning the RG position, after the miserable experience the team went through last season, how can they roll the dice again with just Will Fries and no decent backup? I don’t see them doing that. 
Risner is still out there. He seems perfect given the Colts’ situation. Quite a few possibilities at CB. 

At least Fries actually is an OG.

I’ll never understand the decision last year to start a backup OG at LT.  Many people saw that disaster coming from a mile away.

• Like 1

As you indicate the roster sits at 88 plus the German kid's exemption. So yes, they could stand to add 2 more to the 90 man roster and throw them into the mix.

As far as OLine is concerned and based off of the 1-Year deals that CB prefers giving out then there are still a few intriguing guys that could add to the competition:

Dalton Risner - 27 years old 

Gabe Jackson - 31 years old  

Trai Turner - 30 years old  

Cornerbacks

Josh Jackson - 27 years old - 6'0" with 31+ inch arms and a 9.27 RAS

Eli Apple - 27 years old - 6'1" with 31+ inch arms and a 9.01 RAS

Marcus Peters - 30 years old - 6'0" with 31+ inch arms and a 7.2 RAS

Ronald Darby - 29 years old - 5'11" with 31+ inch arms and a 9.11 RAS

51 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

As you indicate the roster sits at 88 plus the German kid's exemption. So yes, they could stand to add 2 more to the 90 man roster and throw them into the mix.

As far as OLine is concerned and based off of the 1-Year deals that CB prefers giving out then there are still a few intriguing guys that could add to the competition:

Dalton Risner - 27 years old 

Gabe Jackson - 31 years old  

Trai Turner - 30 years old  

Cornerbacks

Josh Jackson - 27 years old - 6'0" with 31+ inch arms and a 9.27 RAS

Eli Apple - 27 years old - 6'1" with 31+ inch arms and a 9.01 RAS

Marcus Peters - 30 years old - 6'0" with 31+ inch arms and a 7.2 RAS

Ronald Darby - 29 years old - 5'11" with 31+ inch arms and a 9.11 RAS

From this List I'd take Risner And Jackson

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AKB said:

From this List I'd take Risner And Jackson

I would be happy with those choices! Watched JJ play at Iowa and they turn out pro ready corners, especially since they run a 4-3 or 4-2-5 zone defense......oddly enough we have not drafted a DB out of Iowa since Bob Sanders though????

• Like 1

11 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

At least Fries actually is an OG.

I’ll never understand the decision last year to start a backup OG at LT.  Many people saw that disaster coming from a mile away.

He was drafted as an OT. Played four times as much Tackle at Penn St as he played OG.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If I'm not mistaken - ALL of those players have been available during the entirety of the off-season.

IF the Colts were interested in bringing any of them in - I firmly believe they would have already done so - having them here for OTA's and mini-camps.

• Like 2

I think we're rolling with what we have. 

Let SS figure out what he has, while giving the young players as much experience as possible.  SS has got a 6 year contract and there is no rush to win this season by putting a short-timer vet in a spot where a young player can learn.

And what player wants to commit to signing with the Colts at this point in the season?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Hoose said:

2. Another CB.

You're probably right but this team this year isn't going to be good anyway so does it matter. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Let SS figure out what he has, while giving the young players as much experience as possible.  SS has got a 6 year contract and there is no rush to win this season by putting a short-timer vet in a spot where a young player can learn.

And what player wants to commit to signing with the Colts at this point in the season?

Q: What player wants to commit to signing with the Colts at this point in the season? A: Maybe a guy who is currently unemployed and desperately looking for a job at this point. Which is basically any of the currently unsigned players still out there. Give any of them a reasonable one year prove it deal and they’ll sign. 
Now…. Whether the Colts feel the same anxiety that I do for the RG and CB slots is another thing altogether. We’ll soon see. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

Pretty sure they will have 90 when TC starts

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

Q: What player wants to commit to signing with the Colts at this point in the season? A: Maybe a guy who is currently unemployed and desperately looking for a job at this point. Which is basically any of the currently unsigned players still out there. Give any of them a reasonable one year prove it deal and they’ll sign. 
Now…. Whether the Colts feel the same anxiety that I do for the RG and CB slots is another thing altogether. We’ll soon see. 

I took your OP as Ballard wanting to find upgrades at RG and CB, not just sign more players to fill out the roster.

At this point, if I was a player, I would not feel desperate.  There is still roster shuffling to be had all around the NFL.  

There are other teams who could also give those players one year prove it deals.  Although I'm a Colts fan, I don't pragmatically see why any player would choose the Colts at this point and not wait as other opportunities became more visible.

As I said, I think we'll roll with what we have.  Fries has played a lot.  I think Rogers trouble was a gut punch...but...OTOH, he always seemed to have trouble winning over his coaches to land a sure starting position, so I don't know if Ballard thinks waiving him was a great loss that needs replaced.  (He's wrong about that though)

I'm not saying we won't add more players, but I don't think Ballard is interested in finding vet starter upgrades to G and CB at this point.

I'd be all for Risner, think Ekiyar was a great signing and he could push Fries, he shined in the SEC and helped lead that Bama line. His stock fell because of injury concerns but if healthy which he is now no reason he cant take the position and make it his. Hearing great thinks about Freeland,not sure if we tinker with moving Smith back inside but always an option if needed.

At Corner think we are rolling with Rush and Brents,Rush while drafted lower is more NFL ready while Brents has the higher long range ceiling. Flowers also in the mix struggled at Corner last year (Was amazing at K.O. return and lead the league). Also in Camp Darrell Baker Jr came out of nowhere and shined not sure if an aberration or a sign of things to come. 

• Thanks 1

Until the kids get some time under their belts, the CB position is full of promise with little to no experience. That’s a recipe for trouble; I’d be shocked if a vet wasn’t brought in to shore things up in the backfield. 

I think those here hoping/expecting a big sexy or glamorous name are setting themselves up for disappointment. 

Id love to sign a big time talent,  but I don’t see it happening.   

I think we will likely sign a modest veteran corner and guard, but perhaps not a name that will love the needle for anyone.   

Guys like Risner, Peters, JC Jackson, DHopkins etc are highly unlikely to sign with the Colts for a variety of reasons.   1.) They want more money.   2.) They want to play for a team that’s playoff caliber.   3.). They’re typically patient and will wait into August /Sept looking for a good team to suffer an injury forcing the team to up its offer for the player.   None of that sounds like the 2023 Colts.

I think the Colts will sign a modest vet or two to round out the roster and roll with what they have.    I’m not rooting for this to happen, I’m basing this based on what the Colts have done this entire off-season. 

And our roster has been down two players since we cut our two gamblers.  I feel that Risner is indeed in the cards.  If we go towards AR early in the season, the key will be to have Taylor and AR lead a dominating run game.  Risner has always been a good run blocker.  I’m not sure he’d start over Fries, so I wouldn’t spend too much, but he hasn’t received much interest elsewhere (it seems)…

• Like 1

I am more concerned about Oline depth  then the 5 starters. We had such great Oline depth when wentz was here. I wish we could build that depth again.

if any of you get a chance the official colts podcast had Anthony Castonzo on. He mentored Rainmann a little bit. Some cool

stuff. I really get the vibe Rainmann is going to be very good. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Archer said:

And our roster has been down two players since we cut our two gamblers.  I feel that Risner is indeed in the cards.  If we go towards AR early in the season, the key will be to have Taylor and AR lead a dominating run game.  Risner has always been a good run blocker.  I’m not sure he’d start over Fries, so I wouldn’t spend too much, but he hasn’t received much interest elsewhere (it seems)…

Reading a few articles about Risner, now.  I think I had the wrong impression - apparently he's better known as a pass-blocker.  They didn't call him a liability in the run game, but my logic above probably doesn't hold up too well...  

The OP has a good point.  I hope they add to the team, but Ballards M.O. is not to add a high profile player in FA  

He has upgraded the middle to bottom of the roster many times.  I would expect more of that.

There should be FAs available after cuts as well as lower impact trades

We arent done yet, I bet

Added thought.....  This team will probably have a challenging year (based on history of rookie QBs getting a start during year 1)  

The time to add that missing FA is when we are truly one player away from contending

Or...... if you get an amazing, cant pass deal opportunity for a young star that can be here 5 years from now

(Maybe Chase Young?......... I dont expect it though) 

I think it is very possible that the team picks up a quality O-lineman and/or CB veteran when teams do their cuts prior to the season.

I think Chris Ballard is hoarding salary cap space in order to address the pending contract extensions for Jonathan Taylor and Michael Pittman Jr.

31 minutes ago, sb41champs said:

I think it is very possible that the team picks up a quality O-lineman and/or CB veteran when teams do their cuts prior to the season.

I think Chris Ballard is hoarding salary cap space in order to address the pending contract extensions for Jonathan Taylor and Michael Pittman Jr.

Not to mention Paye and Dayo are eligible after the season. Dayo might come first if he breaks out because Paye has the 5th year and has been injured a lot.

6 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am more concerned about Oline depth  then the 5 starters. We had such great Oline depth when wentz was here. I wish we could build that depth again.

if any of you get a chance the official colts podcast had Anthony Castonzo on. He mentored Rainmann a little bit. Some cool

stuff. I really get the vibe Rainmann is going to be very good. 

I think he will be our most valuable  Lineman for the season actually, think Q bounces back but Rainman will be an elite LT and those dont grow on trees.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

I think he will be our most valuable  Lineman for the season actually, think Q bounces back but Rainman will be an elite LT and those dont grow on trees.

The only questions I have about the Oline starting five are they athletic enough for a mobile QB like Richardson. Rainmann and Q are. I expect better schemes will also help the Oline. I also think that left side is going to be pretty locked down with those two.

44 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The only questions I have about the Oline starting five are they athletic enough for a mobile QB like Richardson. Rainmann and Q are. I expect better schemes will also help the Oline. I also think that left side is going to be pretty locked down with those two.

If it helps…..

All of our starting OL,  with the exception of Fries,  profiled as above average athletically coming out of college.   

The just need to be healthy, and they need to be coached up better.  But they should be athletic enough.   

55 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

What is plan B incase kelly looks bad again ?

I'm hopeful Colts bring in solid competition at least during the cutdowns to 53

Pinter, French….   And I think the Colts also claimed someone off the Cowboys roster who can play center.  

• Like 1