Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bold Predictions for the Colts in 2023

Archer

1) Richardson’s first start is Game 5 vs. the Titans.  Doesn’t seem fair to put a home opener against Jax on AR’s shoulders, and Minshew gives us the best chance to win.  Let AR learn how to prepare for a game during the first quarter of the season.  If we can come away with at least two wins during that time period (Texans and Rams?), we’ll still be in the thick of things when AR leads us in a very winnable game against the Titans.

2) Danny Pinter doesn’t make the team.  He was beyond terrible at OG last year, and I’m not sure that his usefulness as a back-up center is worth keeping him around.  French and Ekiyor back up the interior.

3) Dallis Flowers starts at least 10 games.  With Rodgers likely suspended and three or more rookies in the mix (I have a feeling about that Cole Coleman UCFA from Elon), the CB competition will be chaos.  Rush and Brents had to watch OTAs from the sideline.  Moore and Flowers are the top veterans, and Flowers already looked good in OTAs.

Anyone care to make some bold predictions?

• Like 3

I have 2 really big Bold one's:

1. Richardson starts on opening day vs the Jags and we win on opening day. Pretty bold considering we haven't won on opening day since 2013 and many don't even think AR will start game 1.

2. We won't have a losing a season, I see at least 8-8-1. Pretty bold considering I already see a lot of 3-14, 4-13, 5-12 predictions by many media outlets. 

• Like 5

1) AR won’t start until week 12 (after the bye). 

2) Leonard won’t play week 1. 

3) Our secondary will have a rough start with all the youngsters fighting to be starters. 

Edit: 4) Ryan Kelly will be our worst Olineman this season. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Solid84 said:

3) Our secondary will have a rough start with all the youngsters fighting to be starters. 

Number 4 isn’t bold it’s most likely 

0-17. 

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

Number 4 isn’t bold it’s most likely 

0-17. 

Yeah probably. He just strikes me as a guy going through the motions. I really wouldn’t be surprised if he got benched at some point during the season. 

6 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Yeah probably. He just strikes me as a guy going through the motions. I really wouldn’t be surprised if he got benched at some point during the season. 

He was going through a lot of personal tragedy last year.   Let's see how he rebounds

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ColtsGermany said:

Bold prediction :

Someone in this forum calls for Ballards/Steichens head after a week 1 losshaha

Ha!  Probable, not bold. 

Another probable - someone will complain when we lose a preseason game.  Look for this:  "Same old Colts, no imagination on offense and no pass rush on defense".

That's okay, it takes all kinds.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ColtsGermany said:

Bold prediction :

Someone in this forum calls for Ballards/Steichens head after a week 1 losshaha

That’s already happened lol

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Ha!  Probable, not bold. 

Another probable - someone will complain when we lose a preseason game.  Look for this:  "Same old Colts, no imagination on offense and no pass rush on defense".

That's okay, it takes all kinds.

Or this roster has talent at the wrong positions haha

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

How about this for a prediction…

the Eagles finish with a worse record than the Colts 

I like this. I don’t think it’ll happen but everyone expects them to continue being great. Their defense IMO will be but I think we will see a regression on Offense for them. People forget the rough start they had in 2021 until Shane took over play calling. Then obviously they did well in 22. Let’s see who calls the plays in 23. 

I’m not sold on them winning their division.  

• Like 1

Bold prediction #1 - Blake Freeland legitimately earns the starting RT spot, and Smith moves inside to RG.

Bold prediction #2 - Leonard is out for all of training camp, plays in the first 3 games, gets injured, and is out for the year.

Bold prediction #3 - Richardson starts opening day and has a terrible game.  Minshew starts the next three games and loses all three.  Richardson then starts week 5 vs the Titans and wins.

Easy prediction #1 - Colts start rookies at both CB positions, and suffer growing pains with them the entire year.

Easy prediction #2 - Colts continue to have trouble with a "blocking" tight end.  Steichen responds by playing a 6-man line on every short yardage play.

Easy prediction #3 - Rigoberto Sanchez makes the Pro Bowl, after leading the league in punting average.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Bold prediction #1 - Blake Freeland legitimately earns the starting RT spot, and Smith moves inside to RG.

Bold prediction #2 - Leonard is out for all of training camp, plays in the first 3 games, gets injured, and is out for the year.

Bold prediction #3 - Richardson starts opening day and has a terrible game.  Minshew starts the next three games and loses all three.  Richardson then starts week 5 vs the Titans and wins.

Easy prediction #1 - Colts start rookies at both CB positions, and suffer growing pains with them the entire year.

Easy prediction #2 - Colts continue to have trouble with a "blocking" tight end.  Steichen responds by playing a 6-man line on every short yardage play.

Easy prediction #3 - Rigoberto Sanchez makes the Pro Bowl, after leading the league in punting average.

Your #2 and #3 are wild, you have a hell of an imagination. Interesting to read your post.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Solid84 said:

#2 and #3 are reasonable but not really bold - both could happen and neither would be shocking. If #1 happens, that will be highly disappointing. I would be easier on Kelly, he had a lot of personal stuff going on last year like losing a baby. His head wasn't straight, and it should not have been.

On 6/15/2023 at 1:01 PM, Solid84 said:

I'm pretty shocked that no competition was brought in to compete with Kelly

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

#2 and #3 are reasonable but not really bold - both could happen and neither would be shocking. If #1 happens, that will be highly disappointing. I would be easier on Kelly, he had a lot of personal stuff going on last year like losing a baby. His head wasn't straight, and it should not have been.

I know they lost their baby last season, but he’s regressed for more than one season. This is the last year of his contract if I’m not mistaken? He’ll play it out for the money and retire after the season - my prediction. I’d be really surprised (pleasently of course) if he plays up to his ‘18-‘19 form this season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

I know they lost their baby last season, but he’s regressed for more than one season. This is the last year of his contract if I’m not mistaken? He’ll play it out for the money and retire after the season - my prediction. I’d be really surprised (pleasently of course) if he plays up to his ‘18-‘19 form this season. 

Kelly has another year after this one.

Colts could clear nearly $12.4m in cap space if they need to move on though 

• Thanks 1

I don’t have any bold predictions at this time…I just need to pay more attention to the team, fan forum and news around the league.

My dad once made the “Boldest of All Predictions” before a football game…

so I asked… he said, “ Zero - Zero!”

:facepalm:
I took that bait, hook, line, sinker!

I miss you, dad!

Happy Father’s Day in Heaven!

• Like 2

My bold prediction is we win a winnable division and host a playoff game.  Jax has a tough schedule,  Texans are too young and the Titans are too old.  A Wildcard is improbable but we have a punchers chance to win the division.  Week 1 is a huge game.

11 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

I predict that until someone pays me for my predictions, I won't make any predictions. The bold part: I probably won't make predictions even if they paid me.

I love predicting (before season picking). It is fun and I always like to see if I will be right or wrong being a huge sports fan with knowledge. I was wrong last season when I said Matt Ryan would be good and we would win the division. Having said that I was right when I said we would go 11-5 when we got Rivers and would make the playoffs. I am usually 50/50 at worse. I have very little clue on how the 2023 Colts will do as of now. I don't have much to go on is why. Will Taylor, Leonard, and Nelson be healthy? Will AR be at least average? How good of a coach will Shane be? All of those questions are critical. I will say this, last season we lost several close games we could have easily won. So as of now based on that, and thinking our main guys will be healthy + a favorable schedule I can see us around 8 or 9 wins as long as AR isn't a complete flop. Taylor has proven he can get you 1500 yards when healthy - see 2021 where he had 1800.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2023 at 8:45 AM, Archer said:

1) Richardson’s first start is Game 5 vs. the Titans.  Doesn’t seem fair to put a home opener against Jax on AR’s shoulders, and Minshew gives us the best chance to win.  Let AR learn how to prepare for a game during the first quarter of the season.  If we can come away with at least two wins during that time period (Texans and Rams?), we’ll still be in the thick of things when AR leads us in a very winnable game against the Titans.

2) Danny Pinter doesn’t make the team.  He was beyond terrible at OG last year, and I’m not sure that his usefulness as a back-up center is worth keeping him around.  French and Ekiyor back up the interior.

3) Dallis Flowers starts at least 10 games.  With Rodgers likely suspended and three or more rookies in the mix (I have a feeling about that Cole Coleman UCFA from Elon), the CB competition will be chaos.  Rush and Brents had to watch OTAs from the sideline.  Moore and Flowers are the top veterans, and Flowers already looked good in OTAs.

Anyone care to make some bold predictions?

What has French ever done to warrant a roster spot?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I love predicting (before season picking). It is fun and I always like to see if I will be right or wrong being a huge sports fan with knowledge. I was wrong last season when I said Matt Ryan would be good and we would win the division. Having said that I was right when I said we would go 11-5 when we got Rivers and would make the playoffs. I am usually 50/50 at worse. I have very little clue on how the 2023 Colts will do as of now. I don't have much to go on is why. Will Taylor, Leonard, and Nelson be healthy? Will AR be at least average? How good of a coach will Shane be? All of those questions are critical. I will say this, last season we lost several close games we could have easily won. So as of now based on that, and thinking our main guys will be healthy + a favorable schedule I can see us around 8 or 9 wins as long as AR isn't a complete flop. Taylor has proven he can get you 1500 yards when healthy - see 2021 where he had 1800.

There's so much I don't know in making predictions. I'm always hopeful the Colts will win, and sometimes puzzled when they don't - but should have. My general impression is that, for some reason, the Colts have under-performed their talent level. I attribute that to poor coaching and "team problems". The media tries to tell me I'm wrong. I won't tell you what I think of the media. You can probably predict my answer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

There's so much I don't know in making predictions. I'm always hopeful the Colts will win, and sometimes puzzled when they don't - but should have. My general impression is that, for some reason, the Colts have under-performed their talent level. I attribute that to poor coaching and "team problems". The media tries to tell me I'm wrong. I won't tell you what I think of the media. You can probably predict my answer.

I really don't care for most of the media either, many don't even know our team well outside of Indiana. Not all media is bad but some in the media like to stir up non-sense as well. I am usually half glass full/optimistic when it comes to the Colts. Reason being is, we have just had a ton of success since the 2003 season overall. I get Peyton and Luck was a nice advantage we had. I always just feel like we will find a way to figure out things with Irsay being owner. Last season wasn't pleasant at all and was a gut punch to me because I really thought we would be good. This upcoming season not much would shock me because I can see us going 5-12 if nothing goes our way. We could have a lot of injuries, AR may struggle, etc.. I look at our roster though and division we are in and I think we could be good, will we? Not sure. Health is very important with our key players + the progression of AR is critical too. This is the first season in a while where any prediction could be right, whether it be 5-12 or 10-7 for example. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

What has French ever done to warrant a roster spot?

He made the roster last year.  If the team didn’t want to risk trying to pass him to the PS, they must have seen something there worth developing…

12 hours ago, Myles said:

Bold prediction.   Minshew will start every game this season.  AR will be in for some garbage time snaps.  

I hope this is a prediction that you do NOT want to happen?    I think your scenario is just about the worst possible outcome.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I hope this is a prediction that you do NOT want to happen?    I think your scenario is just about the worst possible outcome.  

I totally disagree.   This would be the best case scenario.  If Minshew starts every game it would mean the Colts are winning games.  Playoff bound.   That would be great.

4 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

we get the number one pick and ballard gets the next great colt qb

Not as bold as you think. Richardson has a worst-case bust scenario this year. He could be so raw that he's the worst starter in the league. The thing is, if we had the number one pick, would we select Caleb Williams after one year or trade the pick for a bounty?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Myles said:

Bold prediction.   Minshew will start every game this season.  AR will be in for some garbage time snaps.  

I'll be honest, if Richardson doesn't start after the first month, I'll be completely disinterested in the team unless Minshew is dominating. I can handle watching Richardson start and take rookie lumps to begin his career, but I wouldn't be able to handle him riding the bench and watching Minshew all year. 

That said, your scenario is possible.

• Like 2