Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 Colts and NFL free agency news, rumors, discussions

stitches

Every year we watch our team and know the players well The next year 20 of them are gone I feel bad for the free agents that might not have a job next season .They should have a roster exemption,one player on each team can sign only a vet that has a lot of years in and wants a final year to play

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Autry and Ebron were small offers. Houston, Funchess, and Fisher were medium offers. Ballard has probably been one of the most passive GMs in FA in 7 years since being GM. He made no real effort to build around Luck in the 3 years of FA that Luck was on the team under Ballard (even though he retired before the 2019 season). 

It's old at this point that Ballard hasn't changed his ways and that Irsay is still enabling his behavior. Even worse is that Steichen doesn't seem to be doing anything to affect him either except maybe getting Minshew. I wanted more Eagles FAs and it's been disappointing. 

Sorry, those FAs are standard for most teams. Just because they are a big signing for Ballard doesn't mean it's normal for other teams. We aren't winning enough to excuse being passive in FA. We aren't the Packers or Ravens with Ballard. 

Not getting Seumalo sent me from a 10 to a 0. It's a terrible interior O-Line draft class and he was the perfect FA to start at RG. Familiarity with Steichen and a reasonable price. I feel worse about it after sleeping last night. The O-Line sucks and we are about to probably release Kelly. 

I just legitimately don't care anymore. Ballard has sucked the football spirit out of me. 

Ballard ONLY had Luck for Two years, NOT three.  2017, when he was hurt and didn’t play, and Ballard acquired Brissett, and 2018.   Luck retired in August of 19.   Two seasons.   That’s it. 

And believe it or not,  I agree with you that Ballard should make more small and medium offers.    But the point of my response is when it came to making offers you couldn't remember ANY of the ones I listed.   You only remembered Gilmore because it was the most recent.   Your poor memory pushes you to make flawed arguments.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

No offense to Campbell, but Campbell really did not do anything to justify keeping. 

Okereke absolutely justified being kept, but not when he was outplayed by Franklin who is making $4M a year and Bobby O would have come back as a part time guy for $10M+ behind Shaq and Z.

So those are examples where I can see not keeping the home-grown guys sadly. 

The love for Paris around here is absurd.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

FWIW, all the "Ballard is cheap" and "Ballard won't spend on offense", etc is a little bit misconstrued. 

I wont re-hash old posts where i showed how the Colts spent the most in the entire NFL on offense the past handful of years, but at the minimum here let's talk "philosophy".

We don't need to re-hash it and I am not responding to this to call Ballard cheap or anything.

But I think it's worth pointing out some context on that spending on offense. It was almost entirely from spending nearly $120M on vet QBs from 2020-2022 (including JB, Rivers, Wentz, Ryan, Foles) and OL extensions for Q, Smith and Kelly.

And very little was spent on any non-QB additions to the team.

And it's actually sort of sad that the Colts spent more than anyone else on offense during those years, yet have little to show for it and bottomed out as the worst offense in the NFL. If anything, it shows how flawed Ballard's philosophy has been...or how bad he has executed it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Monday must be LaMar day.  I just read three different articles on LaMar and they all mention the Colts as a team that could still be involved and gave reasons why it might happen.  Two of the articles suggested that it could happen on draft day after the 1st two picks are taken.  The reason being is if the Colts have a target in mind and that quarterback goes 1 or 2 then they might trade for LaMar instead of settling for quarterbacks 3 or 4.  One article even went so far as to say that if they are sitting at 4 and the choice comes down to LaMar or Stroud, Levis, or Richardson the choice becomes clear you trade for LaMar if you can.  A lot could happen between now and draft day.  He could sign an offer sheet and it could be matched or not.  So something happening draft day seems like a long shot.  But it’s the NFL so who knows.  Maybe someone will post the articles.  All good reads.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ballard ONLY had Luck for Two years, NOT three.  2017, when he was hurt and didn’t play, and Ballard acquired Brissett, and 2018.   Luck retired in August of 19.   Two seasons.   That’s it. 

And believe it or not,  I agree with you that Ballard should make more small and medium offers.    But the point of my response is when it came to making offers you couldn't remember ANY of the ones I listed.   You only remembered Gilmore because it was the most recent.   Your poor memory pushes you to make flawed arguments.   

Ballard was under the assumption that Luck was playing in 2019 before he retired. So when he did FA in 2019, he thought Luck was playing and operated as such. Even thinking that, he didn't change his ways. Even Irsay thought that Luck was playing. If you don't believe me, look at "with the next pick" in 2019 when Irsay is talking to Parris Campbell during the draft and asking if he's ready to catch passes from no12. Ballard, Reich, and Irsay were all operating FA and the draft that year thinking Luck would return.

So 3 FA periods, 2 where Luck played, and a third where they thought Luck would play, and they failed to do their job in FA.

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Monday must be LaMar day.  I just read three different articles on LaMar and they all mention the Colts as a team that could still be involved and gave reasons why it might happen.  Two of the articles suggested that it could happen on draft day after the 1st two picks are taken.  The reason being is if the Colts have a target in mind and that quarterback goes 1 or 2 then they might trade for LaMar instead of settling for quarterbacks 3 or 4.  One article even went so far as to say that if they are sitting at 4 and the choice comes down to LaMar or Stroud, Levis, or Richardson the choice becomes clear you trade for LaMar if you can.  A lot could happen between now and draft day.  He could sign an offer sheet and it could be matched or not.  So something happening draft day seems like a long shot.  But it’s the NFL so who knows.  Maybe someone will post the articles.  All good reads.

Lamar is the only thing that would save this team at this point. I could respect Ballard if he went after Lamar, but knowing him, he's vehemently against this. 

21 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

We don't need to re-hash it and I am not responding to this to call Ballard cheap or anything.

But I think it's worth pointing out some context on that spending on offense. It was almost entirely from spending nearly $120M on vet QBs from 2020-2022 (including JB, Rivers, Wentz, Ryan, Foles) and OL extensions for Q, Smith and Kelly.

And it's actually sort of sad that the Colts spent more than anyone else on offense during those years, yet have little to show for it and bottomed out as the worst offense in the NFL. If anything, it shows how flawed Ballard's philosophy has been...or how bad he has executed it.

Understood and agreed 

that said , I don’t care what positions it was spent on so much as the money was spent (when it comes to the cheap narrative). 

people that are  disagreeing with and questioning the investment in the oline and the investment in trying to fix qb (and being unsuccessful ultimately in both) have a valid and justified gripe. 

but a majority of our fan base is complaining about not spending to Improve the offense and that isn’t accurate. It just isn’t being spent at rb and pass catchers which are the sexier positions. And it isn’t being spent in UFA which is where everyone wants to see the splashes. 

and I genuinely believe until Ballard is no longer the GM, our fans need to expect this to continue and either accept it or just stop complaining about it because history shows us this is who he is and it doesn’t seem likely to change. So it’s just screaming into the void. Repeatedly lol. 

he will pay JT most likely. Might even pay Pittman. But anyone expecting him to go out and land a big fish at WR or even TE is going to continue to be disappointed 

I could even see another big contract on the OL if we ever move on from Kelly in the next year or two  (before we could have to pay Raimann in 2 yrs if he pans out). But I don’t see us adding our version of Diggs, AJ Brown, etc. which I agree stinks because that’s the kinda thing that has put some teams and developing QBs over the top recently. 

18 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

And what picks are the Colts going to give in case the Ravens don't match the offer? And what happens if the Ravens actually match the offer? The Colts are left with Gardner Minshew as starter and Sam Ehlinger as backup for the season? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

And what picks are the Colts going to give in case the Ravens don't match the offer? And what happens if the Ravens actually match the offer? The Colts are left with Gardner Minshew as starter and Sam Ehlinger as backup for the season? 

I believe the requirement for signing him is two first round picks.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Lamar is the only thing that would save this team at this point.

Opinion stated as fact. 

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I could respect Ballard if he went after Lamar, but knowing him, he's vehemently against this. 

I'd lose respect for him, not only because I DO NOT want Lamar, but Ballard stated very early on after his hiring, that the team should not be about one guy, and I agree with that, and brining in Lamar at the rumored desired contract demand is putting it about one guy.

Now, that aside, how about we swap this years, and next years #1s with Kansas City, and gain a decade of #2s, or players to make up the difference.

Then offer Lamar a contract the Ravens may not want in exchange for our next two #1s.

7 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Opinion stated as fact. 

I'd lose respect for him, not only because I DO NOT want Lamar, but Ballard stated very early on after his hiring, that the team should not be about one guy, and I agree with that, and brining in Lamar at the rumored desired contract demand is putting it about one guy.

Now, that aside, how about we swap this years, and next years #1s with Kansas City, and gain a decade of #2s, or players to make up the difference.

Then offer Lamar a contract the Ravens may not want in exchange for our next two #1s.

You defend this FO as much as anyone on this forum. You would go along with it and convince yourself he is doing the right thing if we sign Lamar after he did the presser for signing him. 

Players such as Mahomes, Allen, Hurts, and Burrow have proved the team is about one guy at the QB position and Ballard is wrong. That was a lie Ballard said a long time ago to excuse the loss of Luck and pretend like it was no big deal. That worked out real well didn't it?

9 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

There is no question he screwed up big time betting on Pryor and Pinter to do their job. Of course this happened with some very bad advice from more than one source i believe.
 And "they" sure fooled themselves AGAIN with their faith in Ryan to be here for at least 2 years and playing pretty good football.
 Ballards philosophy hasn't Looked so good the last 2 years because of the Falloff of Nelson and Kelly, and to some degree Smith. Ballard believes having a very solid, reliable run game sets up a lot of good things.
 Last year was with no Leonard and all the rest of the problems including coaching we bottomed.
 I'm hoping having a HC with a brighter mind with better philosphies, Ballard and his team do a better job drafting, adding talent.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You defend this FO as much as anyone on this forum. You would go along with it and convince yourself he is doing the right thing if we sign Lamar after he did the presser for signing him. 

Players such as Mahomes, Allen, Hurts, and Burrow have proved the team is about one guy and Ballard is wrong. That was a lie Ballard said a long time ago to excuse the loss of Luck and pretend like it was no big deal. That worked out real well didn't it?

And literally none of these players you mention got on those teams via a trade or free agency. They were all drafted and they dont play by themselves. Ballard told no lies. We should do what these teams did and draft our guy and develop for years on a cheap rookie contract.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, krunk said:

And literally none of these players you mention got on those teams via a trade or free agency. They were all drafted and they dont play by themselves. Ballard told no lies.

Yep, and Ballard didn't draft a QB for 3 additional years until he was forced too. Even now, I believe he is truly against it as he thinks all 4 QBs are the same. The guy  valued extra job security over a chance at long-term winning and winning a SB.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For once we agree

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep, and Ballard didn't draft a QB for 3 additional years until he was forced too. Even now, I believe he is truly against it as he thinks all 4 QBs are the same. The guy is a coward that valued extra job security over a chance at long-term winning and winning a SB.

Peanut Butter Order GIF by Jif

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep, and Ballard didn't draft a QB for 3 additional years until he was forced too. Even now, I believe he is truly against it as he thinks all 4 QBs are the same. The guy is a coward that valued extra job security over a chance at long-term winning and winning a SB.

You didnt have any problems with the vet QB he just picked up. You were the main guy celebrating. Lol! And then once he drafts the QB then you will move on to trashing the pick. Not bc hes a coward all of a sudden but bc hes incompetent. Do you even know what you want?

Just now, krunk said:

You didnt have any problems with the vet QB he just picked up. You were the main guy celebrating. Lol

Yes, Minshew went for $3.5 million and he worked with Steichen in Philly. He is the best QB on the roster already. I'm annoyed with the fact that it took 3 extra years to finally go after a QB in the draft while the AFC built a powerhouse conference of QBs in that time. I could handle signing Minshew and drafting Levis/Richardson if we were aggressive in FA with a QB on a rookie contract, but we aren't even doing it in this instance. Ballard will never learn, and this team will never win with him unless we get someone like Lamar that's so good he wins despite Ballard's shortcomings as the GM.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yes, Minshew went for $3.5 million and he worked with Steichen in Philly. He is the best QB on the roster already. I'm annoyed with the fact that it took 3 extra years to finally go after a QB in the draft while the AFC built a powerhouse conference of QBs in that time. I could handle signing Minshew and drafting Levis/Richardson if we were aggressive in FA with a QB on a rookie contract, but we aren't even doing it in this instance. Ballard will never learn, and this team will never win with him unless we get someone like Lamar that's so good he wins despite Ballard's shortcomings as the GM.

We weren’t aggressive?! Trading for Wentz, trading for Ryan, while both are mistakes, both are also swings at the QB spot

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

See you keep creating new circumstances. Each time one thing gets satisfied you create some other reason to be dissatisfied. How can a guy win with that outlook? Ballard will never really satisfy you. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, csmopar said:

We weren’t aggressive?! Trading for Wentz, trading for Ryan, while both are mistakes, both are also swings at the QB spot

Anyone who knows who to build a team knows you draft a QB and don't take other teams retreads. They are generally retreads for a reason and up for trade for a reason. Rarely does it ever work out. Oh, and the funny thing to this is, Ballard signed Rivers instead of Brady, Brady won a SB that year. Ballard traded for Wentz instead of Stafford, Stafford won a SB that year. Literally anyone who Ballard doesn't sign ends up winning big. Is that because Ballard has bad jidgment, or because no one can succeed here because of how he runs this team as the GM?

29 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

I believe the requirement for signing him is two first round picks.

So if we wait until after the draft to make a move on Lamar it would have to be 2024 and 2025 1st round picks? And supposedly we won't take a QB in this draft. So what happens when the Ravens match the offer? We tank next year for Caleb Williams? 

1 minute ago, krunk said:

See you keep creating new circumstances. Each time one thing gets satisfied you create some other reason to be dissatisfied. How can a guy win with that outlook?

He has to win at this point. Plain and simple. He's a losing GM through 6 years. Sorry, this FA period doesn't install confidence in me. I like Matt Gay and Gardner Minshew, but that alone isn't going to win us games unless Minshew is a franchise QB and we get lucky. Ballard halfway does it and then slows down. JMO, other GMs do it better that win and make the playoffs such as the Chiefs, Bengals, 49ers and Jags. I'm not saying I know better, I'm saying they know better.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Anyone who knows who to build a team knows you draft a QB and don't take other teams retreads. They are generally retreads for a reason and up for trade for a reason. Rarely does it ever work out. Oh, and the funny thing to this is, Ballard signed Rivers instead of Brady, Brady won a SB that year. Ballard traded for Wentz instead of Stafford, Stafford won a SB that year. Literally anyone who Ballard doesn't sign ends up winning big. Is that because Ballard has bad jidgment, or because no one can succeed here because of how he runs this team as the GM?

And when we were picking in the 20s who was there that you liked that you felt we should have drafted? Quarterback

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

So if we wait until after the draft to make a move on Lamar it would have to be 2024 and 2025 1st round picks? And supposedly we won't take a QB in this draft. So what happens when the Ravens match the offer? We tank next year for Caleb Williams? 

I think the implication in the article is you make the trade before our pick so they have our 23 and 24. 

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Players such as Mahomes, Allen, Hurts, and Burrow have proved the team is about one guy at the QB position and Ballard is wrong. That was a lie Ballard said a long time ago to excuse the loss of Luck and pretend like it was no big deal. That worked out real well didn't it?

Well, if by 'defend this FO as much as anyone' you mean I don't trash them at every turn, O.K., but know I don't because I don't pretend to know why every decision is made. BTW, you don't know either.

THAT and I don't have control over every decision. BTW, you don't either.

That said, actually, I ponder if I'm watching next year if we pick up Lamar or Richardson. I'll likely start out watching and see if it's as bad as I anticipate. Ravens fans got used to it, maybe I can also(?). 

Mahomes is great, but he has a LOT of supporting cast, as well.

Allen is showing regression. Maybe it's because he doesn't have the supporting cast Mahomes does(?).

Hurts? I don't count one year wonders. If he can do that at least a couple more years, I'll start buy in.

Burrow's career will be short if they don't get him better protection, and they could use a better defense.

And, I'm certain Ballard's comment was long before Luck's retirement, or injuries.

I don't think he was being disingenuous, and I agree with him on that thought.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He has to win at this point. Plain and simple. He's a losing GM through 6 years. Sorry, this FA period doesn't install confidence in me. I like Matt Gay and Gardner Minshew, but that alone isn't going to win us games unless Minshew is a franchise QB and we get lucky. Ballard halfway does it and then slows down. JMO, other GMs do it better that win and make the playoffs such as the Chiefs, Bengals, 49ers and Jags. I'm not saying I know better, I'm saying they know better.

What you dont see is you are not able to be satisfied. Each time one thing is met you will move on to a new complaint.

Just now, krunk said:

And when we were picking in the 20s who was there that you liked that you felt we should have drafted?

I wanted Darrisaw instead of Paye, and didn't like that we doubled down on EDGE rushers in the first two rounds. If your goal was to get two EDGE rushers, you could have signed Trey Hendrickson to a big deal in FA before the draft, and you would be more flexible to take one EDGE and one LT in the draft. Would have worked perfect to get Darrisaw and Dayo, and logic-wise, it makes more sense to need an EDGE and LT rather than two EDGE and a LT. 

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think the implication in the article is you make the trade before our pick so they have our 23 and 24. 

If you are going to make that offer would you rather lose your 23 or 25 1st rounder? I would rather lose the 25 one and take a blue chip player at #4. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

What you dont see is you are not able to be satisfied. Each time one thing is met you will move on to a new complaint.

Through 6 years, no division titles, a losing record, and 1 playoff win doesn't satisfy me. You are right. We are just now drafting a QB in round 1 in year 7 since Luck retired (and it may be round 2 if we go after Hooker). If Ballard changed his philosophy, I'd be more forgiving and give more of a chance, but it's the same thing, with a new coach, only thing that's changed is Ballard is finally forced to draft a QB. I'm keeping my expectations low at this point after missing out on Seumalo. That was the dagger in my heart.

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, I am not suggesting we sign him. I think the Ravens match anyway, unless the guaranteed money is in the Watson stratosphere, and I don't see Ballard doing this. Let's give Steichen a young QB to develop.

• Like 1