Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade up for Justin Blackmon

Peytonparker

Everything I have been reading lately has Blackmon dropping on boards for whatever reason. Todd Mcshay has him ranked 10th. If he were available mid 1st rd say around pick 15 wouldn't it be a good idea to trade up and grab him to pair with Luck. Before everyone tears into me for this post, this only hypothetical and I really dont believe he will fall but what if he did?

It would cost a first next year, plus second this year (obviously), plus probably some more picks to move up that far. So, no.

I keep saying it, and I'll say it again - I would rather spend, for instance, a third rounder on A.J. Jenkins than spend multiple picks including this year's second, later picks this year, and maybe next year's first or second, on a guy like Blackmon or Floyd or Hill.

Do you really think that the difference in potential between even Blackmon and Jenkins is less than the amount of talent we'd get with our second round pick this year and first round pick next year?

well considering I would like to take a wide receiver in the third I might trade up but not my second round pick but Mcshays a little out their with his opinions, I would trade my third and hmm maybe my second next year depends who Im trading to I might throw Freeny in the deal to make cap room but I dont see any of that happen as a matter of fact I think since Mcshay has him at number 10 he will go top 5 lol

If he drops close to 20, then I would trade with the Bengals or Browns if he is there for their 2nd first round pick.

However, to me, he has an Anquan Boldin/Reggie Wayne ceiling. He will be a productive WR like Wayne for years to come, just not as much of a world beater like Larry Fitzgerald for where he will be picked, IMO.

We would have to give up next yrs. 1st rder. and I think we all know that will be a top 5-8 pick, plus we would have to give up our 2nd and probably 4th or 5th this yr.. So there is no way on earth I would give that up for any player left after Luck and we'll already have him.

well considering I would like to take a wide receiver in the third I might trade up but not my second round pick but Mcshays a little out their with his opinions, I would trade my third and hmm maybe my second next year depends who Im trading to I might throw Freeny in the deal to make cap room but I dont see any of that happen as a matter of fact I think since Mcshay has him at number 10 he will go top 5 lol

I agree. I dont think he would fall past the Rams at 6 or the Jags at 7. All I am saying is IF he did start to fall for whatever reason shouldn't we consider trading up to get one of the elite talents in this draft to go with our new elite QB?

It would cost a first next year, plus second this year (obviously), plus probably some more picks to move up that far. So, no.

I keep saying it, and I'll say it again - I would rather spend, for instance, a third rounder on A.J. Jenkins than spend multiple picks including this year's second, later picks this year, and maybe next year's first or second, on a guy like Blackmon or Floyd or Hill.

Do you really think that the difference in potential between even Blackmon and Jenkins is less than the amount of talent we'd get with our second round pick this year and first round pick next year?

You can keep saying it all you want Mr W Hawk, but it does not make your opinion any better that those who think otherwise. I happen to think Blackmon is going to be a stand-out WR, but the cost of a possible trade would be a calculated gamble. I'd take it if the 'price was right'.....

If he drops close to 20, then I would trade with the Bengals or Browns if he is there for their second round pick.

However, to me, he has an Anquan Boldin/Reggie Wayne ceiling. He will be a productive WR like Wayne for years to come, just not as much of a world beater like Larry Fitzgerald for where he will be picked, IMO.

Lol, if he drops to the 20's you won't find anyone there that DOESN'T want to draft him to trade with you.

I agree. I dont think he would fall past the Rams at 6 or the Jags at 7. All I am saying is IF he did start to fall for whatever reason shouldn't we consider trading up to get one of the elite talents in this draft to go with our new elite QB?

depends on what the price would be, Id like to get him, but there are also other wide receivers I like in the middle rounds to

The cost would be too high.

You can keep saying it all you want Mr W Hawk, but it does not make your opinion any better that those who think otherwise. I happen to think Blackmon is going to be a stand-out WR, but the cost of a possible trade would be a calculated gamble. I'd take it if the 'price was right'.....

Would a first rounder next year plus this year's second and third be the "right price"? Because that's what it would probably take via the value chart plus the general valuing of future picks.

Everything I have been reading lately has Blackmon dropping on boards for whatever reason. Todd Mcshay has him ranked 10th. If he were available mid 1st rd say around pick 15 wouldn't it be a good idea to trade up and grab him to pair with Luck. Before everyone tears into me for this post, this only hypothetical and I really dont believe he will fall but what if he did?

Nope, nope and nope. People keep talking about trading back into the first round of this years draft while somehow failing to acknowledge the direction we're headed in. As big as a Colts fan as I am, I'm not expecting an 8 or 10 win season. We may very well have the first overall pick again next year or at least a top 5 pick. To move back up into this years draft, you'd have to sacrifice next years first-round pick. Why would you want to sacrifice that?

Imagine what we could get for a Matt Barkley trade. I'd much rather be patient for the future than try and hit home runs now. You can't expect one draft to change a team around. It will likely take a few years and a few picks in the top 10, but that's how we'll build around quality talent.

It's not worth it to trade away one pick to move up this year, when that trade may very well be at the expense of multiple first round picks. Besides, there will be just as good talent next year at the WR position. The kid from USC looks pretty good.

The cost would be too high.

Would a first rounder next year plus this year's second and third be the "right price"? Because that's what it would probably take via the value chart plus the general valuing of future picks.

Nope, probably not.

I think it's a good starting point, but considering the team we're trading with clearly has the leverage and will probably be fielding multiple offers, the asking price could be more.

Either way, I think the price is too high.

Im seriously thinking about it

Why? You would seriously consider giving up next yrs. 1st rder(which will be a very high pick) plus this yrs. 2nd and probably 4th for Blackmon? There is not a player in this draft(other than Luck), that I would even think about giving up that much for.

Why, are you saying no he wont drop or no you wouldn't want to trade up for him?

No he will not drop that low. Sorry but Blackmon and Floyd are the top WR projected in the draft and with Floyd character issues mentioned by scouts Blackmon will be taken before him.

If the Colts are picking in the top 10 next year, would you like Woods out of USC as much as Blackmon? Or more simply put, is Blackmon so talented, of so much value that you mortgage next year for this year? In doing so you are saying a Blackmon-like WR doesn't exist later in the 2012 draft, and won't exist in the 2013 draft (the first round pick has been traded).

I like Blackmon a lot, but the history of the NFL and WRs in the draft says you can find production, sometimes equal production, all over the first couple rounds. I wouldn't ever give up picks to move up on a WR.

uh wait are we drafting Barkley now? arent we supposed to be drafting players we need? we do need a potential number 1 wide receiver for years to come though

That would certainly be nice, yes. That doesn't mean we should dump all our picks for one WR prospect. There's no reason to panic and give up our whole draft just to get a guy like Blackmon THIS YEAR.

uh wait are we drafting Barkley now? arent we supposed to be drafting players we need? we do need a potential number 1 wide receiver for years to come though

We witnessed this yr. the ridiculous amount of picks some teams are willing to move up to get a future franchise QB. If we are in the position to have a pick next yr. to get a Barkley or Landry Jones, then somebody will trade away their future to us for that pick. To give away that pick this yr. to get Blackmon would be beyond stupid IMO.

We witnessed this yr. the ridiculous amount of picks some teams are willing to move up to get a future franchise QB. If we are in the position to have a pick next yr. to get a Barkley or Landry Jones, then somebody will trade away their future to us for that pick. To give away that pick this yr. to get Blackmon would be beyond stupid IMO.

good point

sorry but its not worth next years first pick. colts more then likely will be picking in the top 10 next year and have a shot at a very talented CB like honey badger mathieu in next years draft. same the second round pick, and next years picks and work from the draft. can easily grab Jenkins in the second round since chances are Fleener will not be available so colts will go after their biggest need. defense. CB Jenkins with the 34th overall pick.

I am all for this.. but it would probably deplete next year's draft for us too much, wouldn't it?

It would gut the 2012 draft too. Moving into the top half of the first round for a 2-14 team is completely cost prohibitive. Especially for the most uncertain position in the NFL draft. We could probably list more top of draft WRs who produce nothing than any other position. Maybe QB is close. But WRs are amongst the most risky picks.

To me all the move up posts, regardless of player mentioned, is like using the Visa to buy the fancy new TV. It's great when you do it, get it home, set it up and turn it on. But then the bill comes in, then the technology changes or is upgraded, or you sacrificed pixel count, maybe you spent more on 3D before realizing there is no 3D broadcasting yet, or didn't go back-lit LED, and the regrets mount. When a year later the neighbor has the TV you really wanted, and you're still paying interest on a year old set (you have no first round pick in 2013), you hate that you did it.

Awful idea (no offense). It would involve us having to trade so many picks this year and maybe our 1st next year, which is definitely not worth it.

Keep all our picks this year, because we need all of them.

I think he is another Marvin. Saw him play alot in college and he was absolutely dominant at 6'1, super fast and great hands

Listening to all the scouts, by all accounts, Blackmon is a smaller, slower, slightly less physical version of Julio Jones.

I mean, he's good, but he's not that good that I'd want to mortgage our future draft picks with.