Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chicago trade with Carolina

Patrick Miller

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

Id be somewhat alright with Richardson for Indy and not against it as i have been if we were talking about running the football a lot Philly style and we didnt already have Taylor. Problem is our staff is talking about being a primary passing team. And thats not Richardson strength. If Steichen came out talking about doing what they did in Philly id be more inclined towards the idea bc we can take more advantage of his feet now and teach the passing skills as we go. But first thing out his mouth was passing. Plus i dont think what they do in Philly is as needed here bc we have Taylor and Moss to spark the ground game. Since we want to pass more I think Stroud, Young, and Levis fit our approach better.

I think if Richardson  is there,  the Colts might take him. Maybe that's why they are not going off of 4. They know he will be there and Streichen is confident  he can make him into a generational talent.  

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I don’t think I would be so quick to pick AR15 unless we had a really good veteran quarterback to bridge him. Levis on the other hand I could see the Colts throwing right into the fire.

True… he was in the fire at Kentucky practically every weekend this past season. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

The Bears just fleeced the Panthers and you want to be mad at Ballard? 

I wouldn't  necessarily say that. Let's say the Panthers make it far into  the play offs.   That one  is a late one  next  year and basically  a 2nd round pick. Those 2nd and  3rd rounders  essentially become early 3rds and  4ths. It really depends on how far Carolins goes. Now  if they crash and they are picking  in the top five then yes the Bears fleeced them. If Panthers go far and get their franchise qb then they fleeced the Bears   cause they essentially got late picks and are left with Fields who is not a franchise qb. By the way wait till Moore gets there and Moore goes off  on Fields for not throwing him the ball. Plus, Poles is not going to look to hot if Young or whoever Carolina balls out  and the Bears  bench Fiellds mid season. Alot at work  here to say who wins or loses. Have to wait til end of the season. Bigger question is what if the Carolina drafts Young and he  becomes elite and the Colts draft   another guy and he is a dud? That to me that  is a bigger question cause no doubt the Bears  probably wanted the Colts pick at 4.  I hope the Colts know what they are doing. Finally Reich gets his guy and interesting to see how Frank is going to be viewed moving forward.

8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think if Richardson  is there,  the Colts might take him. Maybe that's why they are not going off of 4. They know he will be there and Streichen is confident  he can make him into a generational talent.  

It might really be as simple as Ballard and Steichen having that sit-down and Steichen telling Ballard that he can be successful with any of these QBs that they are eyeing.

Who knows, it may not even be one of these four. We've witnessed crazier things in the past.

18 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I dont control the draft but as far as i go i dont think so. Mainly bc as far as his and Ballard statements are concerned they are looking for a passer. Not only that but to build an offense around one. Not Richardson strength. If we were inclined to build around running id believe it more. Best offenses weve had in Indy have been predicated on passing. I still say Stroud, Levis or Young until im proven wrong.

4 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I think many do not know how to express a difference of opinion without sounding like they are "jumping down your throat". Sometimes that is just how they communicate with everyone and it sounds angry and sometimes insulting. Just ignore it and move on. It is not personal. Really. It happens to every poster. 

Comments like, "Are you out of your mind?", "What planet are you on?", "What gave you that silly idea?" etc are extraneous comments that posters should refrain from adding to their comments but are not really that offensive. Ignore them.

So, getting back to business, did you want the Colts to trade up? I don't like the idea of trading up because if you get the wrong guy, it sets you back and you lose draft capital in moving up. The Colts will get a top player at 4.

Pretty good advice :thmup:

5 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

This. To me Ballard has a flawed philosophy in today's nfl. He doesn't understand that the qb position IS the most important one for team's success and the SPECIAL ones give you a shot at that SB. Trenches, run game, solid defense and a serviceable qb sounds more like that Bears team that he was associated with in the EARLY 2000's that the Colts beat for a SB. It definitely doesn't match the Chiefs philosophy from where Ballard came from something a fact that JMV treaded lightly around in pointing out. To ME Ballard comes off as smug, stubborn and boarderline arrogant in his team build philosophy but is media savvy enough to sell snake oil as medicine. That would be fine with me IF he had a winning record, some division titles, regular playoff runs or the team was a SB threat after all these years BUT he has NONE of the above. The man is going into year SEVEN as a FIRST time gm. Let that sink in.

Ballard had no choice but to be humbled at the end of the season because whether you LIKE him or not his RESULTS have been at a bare minimum in SIX long years SOMETHING that he acknowledged himself and said that all the critism was warranted. If you get that special qb no one remembers what you gave up to get him. Carolina was moving up from the 9th position so they had to offer a haul. I think the Colts had some leverage at 4 IF they really wanted to make a move. I honestly never thought they would anyway because that's Ballard's MO. Deep down I was hoping I would see some change but I'm bracing for the same ol same ol.

A guy that actually works in the NFL.  Has held many jobs in the NFL.  That guy doesn't understand the importance of a QB?  You spent so much time typing that out.   It's the most important position in the sport.  I think he and the entire organization understand the importance of the position.   They also understand its not the only position 

14 minutes ago, Mike06181 said:

Theres some rumors that carolina did this trade for richardson.

Let's hope.  It would solve all our problems, but I doubt it happens. They probably wouldn't declare it either, so you wouldn't know going in until possibly the final few days.

I do wonder if Ballard feels he knows Frank well enough to add it to his calculations.

Just now, Mike06181 said:

Theres some rumors that carolina did this trade for richardson.

I see Richardson as the poorest fit for Reich's system. I would think Stroud, Young, and Levis would all be better fits.

Personally, I love Stroud for us, but if he goes before us, I would take the swing with Richardson.

I think Richardson would be able to start day 1, because of the way Steichen can build an offense around a young QB to help them excel early and grow into a better passer.

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Tim Tebow squared

I don't see Tebow as an accurate comp at all. Tebow couldn't even throw a good ball. I remember the times he tried deep passes in Denver that were absolute ducks. People got enamored by his success as a college QB and ignored all of the red flags that said he would not be a good pro QB.

Richardson has an arm, throws a beautiful deep pass, and has shown some of the intangibles in the pocket needed to be successful. He didn't have the same success, but I think he has way more traits that translate well to the NFL. I think we also have to keep in mind that Richardson didn't have a QB coach last season at Florida and an OL coach was calling the plays, so he wasn't exactly set up to develop as a passer. He has his private QB coach that he's worked with in the off-season, but he hasn't had the necessary support during the season to learn and grow. He's absolutely a gamble, but I can see him being quite successful as an NFL QB.

Come on Frank! Do us a solid and take Richardson bro!

11 minutes ago, Shive said:

I see Richardson as the poorest fit for Reich's system. I would think Stroud, Young, and Levis would all be better fits.

Personally, I love Stroud for us, but if he goes before us, I would take the swing with Richardson.

I think Richardson would be able to start day 1, because of the way Steichen can build an offense around a young QB to help them excel early and grow into a better passer.

I don't see Tebow as an accurate comp at all. Tebow couldn't even throw a good ball. I remember the times he tried deep passes in Denver that were absolute ducks. People got enamored by his success as a college QB and ignored all of the red flags that said he would not be a good pro QB.

Richardson has an arm, throws a beautiful deep pass, and has shown some of the intangibles in the pocket needed to be successful. He didn't have the same success, but I think he has way more traits that translate well to the NFL. I think we also have to keep in mind that Richardson didn't have a QB coach last season at Florida and an OL coach was calling the plays, so he wasn't exactly set up to develop as a passer. He has his private QB coach that he's worked with in the off-season, but he hasn't had the necessary support during the season to learn and grow. He's absolutely a gamble, but I can see him being quite successful as an NFL QB.

Not a poor fit at all if you use the QB in a similar fashion as Philly. Richardson certainly could run 10 times a game. And i think hes not that bad with the short high percentage stuff to extend plays. I think you could have Richardson ready in a reasonable amount of time with that approach.

4 hours ago, Indeee said:

I'm telling you to not worry so much as these QB's are not really considered generational talent. They ALL have flaws, thus not perfect solutions. Does that mean none will end up being great QB's? No, but it doesn't mean they will either. 

I get the feeling of our fans, because we have had 5 years of QB uncertainty, and the natives are getting restless. 

Even though unpopular, which led me to having a popular post :thmup:, I still think the Colts should make a move that would be less damaging from compensation and go after Zach Wilson who is still on a rookie deal. If Steichen is as good as they are stating, then maybe he can get Wilson on track and if not, then we go hard after Maye or Williams, who are considered to be generational talent next year. 

Your persistent on Maye OR Caleb next year and I don't blame you lol.. Either one would be a huge windfall. It's just that being in position to acquire them is more easily said then done. The colts would have to do a major tank job or be really, really bad on their own. 

I don't think the timing is right like it was for Bert Jones, Peyton, or Luck but I'm with you and hope it happens.

But I'm not so down as others on Levis, who I think will end up being a colt, as others here are. 

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

This is a tough one.  if u go on Frank's history, he likes a big qb who can pass the ball. I just think Youngs intelligence for the game will Trump everyone and that's what Frank  covets the most

Hes using Young for his preference just bc. However he says the big buzz is on Richardson.

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Bears players are really excited.  Moore going there is a big deal.  Good for them.  I can’t imagine what our players are thinking.  Yeah,  I guess I can.

Sure you can.  The thing you won't focus on is the key word in your mocking statement.  "IMAGINE" 

55 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I wouldn't  necessarily say that. Let's say the Panthers make it far into  the play offs.   That one  is a late one  next  year and basically  a 2nd round pick. Those 2nd and  3rd rounders  essentially become early 3rds and  4ths. It really depends on how far Carolins goes. Now  if they crash and they are picking  in the top five then yes the Bears fleeced them. If Panthers go far and get their franchise qb then they fleeced the Bears   cause they essentially got late picks and are left with Fields who is not a franchise qb. By the way wait till Moore gets there and Moore goes off  on Fields for not throwing him the ball. Plus, Poles is not going to look to hot if Young or whoever Carolina balls out  and the Bears  bench Fiellds mid season. Alot at work  here to say who wins or loses. Have to wait til end of the season. Bigger question is what if the Carolina drafts Young and he  becomes elite and the Colts draft   another guy and he is a dud? That to me that  is a bigger question cause no doubt the Bears  probably wanted the Colts pick at 4.  I hope the Colts know what they are doing. Finally Reich gets his guy and interesting to see how Frank is going to be viewed moving forward.

1. - Carolina maiking it far in the playoffs is anything but likely.  Possible? sure..... Then assuming Fields will underperfome and get benched on top of it?  The future picks involved in any trade are subject to fluctuate in order, this scenario isn't in any way isolated.

2. - Hyperbolic statements to prop up scenarios you think happened "NO DOUBT the bears PROBABLY wanted the Colts pick" are absurd.  This adds nothing but opinion to a claim, which is fine, unless coupled with words like "No Doubt" or "Always"  

3. - We all hope the Colts know what they are doing, and they quite likely know far better than any of us, we don't need to construct logical fallacies to reach this conclusion.

1 minute ago, Jackie Daytona said:

1. - Carolina maiking it far in the playoffs is anything but likely.  Possible? sure..... Then assuming Fields will underperfome and get benched on top of it?  The future picks involved in any trade are subject to fluctuate in order, this scenario isn't in any way isolated.

2. - Hyperbolic statements to prop up scenarios you think happened "NO DOUBT the bears PROBABLY wanted the Colts pick" are absurd.  This adds nothing but opinion to a claim, which is fine, unless coupled with words like "No Doubt" or "Always"  

3. - We all hope the Colts know what they are doing, and they quite likely know far better than any of us, we don't need to construct logical fallacies to reach this conclusion.

I think Carolina wins the division. They did excellent  last year considering they had no qb. They have excellent lines and if they grt Young, they can protect him. I think they will go far.

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

I think Carolina wins the division. They did excellent  last year considering they had no qb. They have excellent lines and if they grt Young, they can protect him. I think they will go far.

Maybe.  I know the locals in Carolina are not happy about much surrounding the team, other than this trade maybe.   Largely hated the Reich hire.

23 minutes ago, krunk said:

Hes using Young for his preference just bc. However he says the big buzz is on Richardson.

So if Frank does with with a  rookie  qb, it will be interesting how the narrative changes on his coaching abilities.  What will people say then?

1 minute ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Maybe.  I know the locals in Carolina are not happy about much surrounding the team, other than this trade maybe.   Largely hated the Reich hire.

I think he will   excell

I have to ask....because I see it being repeated ad nauseum here and elsewhere.  Is all this "Steichen has proclaimed he wants to throw the ball primarily, so that = X rookie QB more than others"  stemming from the one quote at his presser about "Passing to score, and running to win"?

I ask because you can't get much earlier in a Head Coaching career than this man is, but a lot of peo[ple are assuming and repeating all over the place that they already know what his references are going to be regarding all manner of things QB related, Offense structure related, Play Call related.....  It's amazingly early in his Career at this position, let alone with the Colts, to assume any of these things.  Let alone state them as quasi-facts.  Not to mention, he's perfectly capable of learning, growing, and evolving from what he has been up to this point, IF people claim to be basing these statements off of his past as a Coordinator and Position Coach.

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So if Frank does with with a  rookie  qb, it will be interesting how the narrative changes on his coaching abilities.  What will people say then?

I think he will   excell

looking at the situation in Carolina ownershipwise, and seeing Frank operate here for years, I wouldn't say Frank is going to be likely to win over Tepper if there is a significant difference of opinion in who to draft.  This goes several QB attempts beyond Reich for Tepper.....  

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Since the colts already fluffed this up, might as well take Will Anderson and just tank for Caleb

People keep saying this, but tanking can be pretty hard. Even with how terrible the 2022 Colts were, they still managed to win 4 games and only get the fourth pic. Hard to believe they would be worse this upcoming season. 

3 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

People keep saying this, but tanking can be pretty hard. Even with how terrible the 2022 Colts were, they still managed to win 4 games and only get the fourth pic. Hard to believe they would be worse this upcoming season. 

Colts did a great job when it came to suck for luck :lol:

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Colts did a great job when it came to suck for luck :lol:

Guess they could always sign Curtis Painter again. 

Honestly, joking aside, the way Polia. Didn't value QBs is the best system as long as the GM is on board. It ensures no mediocre QB purgatory. 

Tom Moore said it best when he explained why the backup QB gets no practice snaps. 

Archived