Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Updated: Colts hire Shane Steichen as their new HC (Merged)

CR91

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What would you guys think if Steichen brought Philip Rivers in as QB coach. They are very close. On the horseshoe huddle tonight they said rivers is being considered for QB coach. Wow if that happened.

Only way it makes sense is if Rivers wants to start a coaching career.  Hard for me to see him going down that path with his large family.  Anything is possible I guess.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Only way it makes sense is if Rivers wants to start a coaching career.  Hard for me to see him going down that path with his large family.  Anything is possible I guess.

Well he is already coaching. I think he would probably jump at the opportunity. But it probably isn’t the right time. He really wanted to coach his sons football team.

8 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Something bad is happening.  Its taking too long !!

What if Steichen backs out and its Saturday ????

Panic Button Netflix GIF by NailedIt

A poster posted a tweet from Pitt saying they're going to announce it tomorrow at noon.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Really, you probably should not live in such a protected environment. 

Nobody ever says stuff like this anymore....

But with all you've heard about EB, if somebody in the know just flat out said....compared to other candidates, EB simply has the IQ of a fence-post....would that help clear things up?

I have no idea what those first two sentences are even supposed to mean?  I do fine in the world I live in. 

And I don’t know why you’d even suggest Bienemy has the IQ of a fence post?   I think if that were true, he would never have been promoted to be the teams OC.   There are plenty of reasons why EB has not been given a chance to be a HC, and none of them have anything to do with his IQ, whatever it may be.  

This is a very strange post.    Sorry. 

27 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Something bad is happening.  Its taking too long !!

What if Steichen backs out and its Saturday ????

Panic Button Netflix GIF by NailedIt

Huh?     What are you talking about? 

Steichen is in Indianapolis.   The official announcement is likely to be noon tomorrow.   he and the wife are getting the VIP treatment.  

What are you worried about?!? 

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I have no idea what those first two sentences are even supposed to mean?  I do fine in the world I live in. 

And I don’t know why you’d even suggest Bienemy has the IQ of a fence post?   I think if that were true, he would never have been promoted to be the teams OC.   There are plenty of reasons why EB has not been given a chance to be a HC, and none of them have anything to do with his IQ, whatever it may be.  

This is a very strange post.    Sorry. 

We live in a world that is pretty sterile when it comes to spelling things out.   Sometimes, a written whack upside the head with a 2 by 4 clears the cobwebs as to what is going on.

I don't consider it a valid suggestion since I said "what if someone in the know said"...a hypothetical.  I don't know the man.  I've never heard him speak or read anything about him.  I've spent 3 minutes of my life thinking about it because that's how much it matters to me.  If he became Colts HC I'd probably think more about it, but that's not the case.

Its like a lot of things in life.  Sometimes things can't be explained.  Nothing makes sense.  Instead of trying to figure it out from the info you have, simply back into the answer by jumping to the one or two things that explains it.  The plight of EB is not high on my list of things I care about so any answer I would suggest has no investment of time in it at all.  The true answer can be many things.  

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

He had a few big throws, but what put up the yardage was the TOP aided by his running and 4th down conversions.  Keeping drives alive gives more offensive plays, and more passing yards....compared to our O that had a lot of three and outs.  I think Philly had 2.  Ryan's year isn't the only year we had Reich.  The Wentz offense looks a lot like the Philly offense, and there were lots of complaints about the O being too shallow and not chunky enough that year too.  And the Rivers year was not chunky.  As I said, the QB plays a part so its not just the coach, but when Reich had Wentz....and didn't take the ball out of his hands due to his recklessness, the passing game didn't look much different than Philly's last night.  I didn't see a lot of slinging it to the wideouts down the field past 15 air yards.

So its going to be short routes to the receivers with contested catches and JT getting stuffed.  Got it.

Maybe we'll see more designed outside runs with JT.  That will be different.

Actually Hurts lead all QB’s in air yards on touchdown passes.  So Steichen had no problem dialing up the big plays when necessary.  Hurts even connected on bombs that were and could’ve been touchdowns in the Super Bowl & NFC championship game.  He even overthrew Brown on a sure fire TD vs the 49ers.  Go draft Young and Steichen wil; have no problem dialing up some deep throws for him.

13 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Actually Hurts lead all QB’s in air yards on touchdown passes.  So Steichen had no problem dialing up the big plays when necessary.  Hurts even connected on bombs that were and could’ve been touchdowns in the Super Bowl & NFC championship game.  He even overthrew Brown on a sure fire TD vs the 49ers.  Go draft Young and Steichen wil; have no problem dialing up some deep throws for him.

Looking at those stats closer, the top guys in long ball throw attempts were Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Hurts, Tua, and Goff.

Mahomes and Allen can be explained by who they are.  Goff can be explained by DET scheme. 

IMO, Burrow, and especially Hurts and Tua need the WRs they have to want to attempt the number of long ball passes they did.  That kind of play calling doesn't transfer well to our personnel at this time.  JMO. 

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

The best QB in the draft is the wrong hand to go all in on???

No, that he will all the sudden put on the needed weight is, though. At least in my opinion. 

We aren’t talking about improving mechanics. The poster made it sound like since he is working with a nutritionist now, he should be able to add weight. My point was, if that’s all it took, we wouldn’t be having this discussion because he would have done it by now.

7 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think you should listen to Lombardi's podcast. Yes Mahonnes is good but he puts a lot of blame on the Philly D coaching and that he had no hard throws. People need to get over this fascination  with the qbs  winning and losing the games and the battle between the coordinators and how incompetent they are. Gannon is an example of a coach who is elected and not selected. Phillys's D has not played anyone and I said to Philly fans that they have not played anyone and they would pay. Everyone was talking about the elite Philly D and I was like  how.  Now all the talking heads are now saying well they didn't play anyone all year. 

Tbf, KC got a free 7 off of Hurts’ fumble and & a short field touchdown off of a long punt return.  But KC did go to work in that 2nd half.  How?  By shockingly running the ball. The thing Andy Reid is notorious for abandoning when he often came up short in the big games.  Looks like he finally learned.  

Also Chiefs got 2 TD’s & the game sealing penalty off of greatly schemed up plays.  The breakdowns on those pivot routes were backbreaking. The lack of pass rush was also interesting though. Was it missed holding calls or the poor field?  Hard to say but they surprisingly never got home.

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am so excited for him to get a young QB with a arm.  What happened with him this past season was just bad. 

The QB will still be a rookie, and the oline will still be what it is.  Not trying to be a debbie downer on an exciting day, but things still need to change other than getting a new HC and a rookie QB.  Even Mahomes and Allen didn't really light it up their 1st seasons.

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

How?  By shockingly running the ball.

Pecenko gets the tough yards, especially for not being a big guy.  He's a very good runner and the toughest runner KC has had in a long time.  His contribution does not get the credit with all of the media focus on Mahomes.  JMO.

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

So what.  His number of pass attempts is down there in the Murray, Fields, and Lamar quarter.  425.  OTOH, Burrow had 568 attempts.   Mahomes had 622.  Philly is a run based offense, not a sling it to the wideouts offense, and that's what I expect our O to look like.

Not if we draft Young.  You let him put it up as needed.  Steichen also coached Rivers & Herbert. Young is the best processor by far out of the top QB’s.  Steichen will take him and be able to open up the offense. Sure we can and will run it with JT. Who wouldn’t but a fool?  But we will most definitely take play action shots off of the running game.  And all of our receivers will get better with a QB like Young making the throws. He processes like Burrow but has the magical off schedule ability like Mahomes.  You don’t completely harness a talent like that. You let him sling it. 

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The QB will still be a rookie, and the oline will still be what it is.  Not trying to be a debbie downer on an exciting day, but things still need to change other than getting a new HC and a rookie QB.  Even Mahomes and Allen didn't really light it up their 1st seasons.

The Oline will get fixed. They will add a RG and Rainmann was getting better. I am not worried about Oline. Scheme will help too. Colts need to get better blocking from all offensive positions.  Stability from year to year is what these pass catchers need. A young QB will bring that.

6 hours ago, tvturner said:

Hyatt is the definition of a twitchy receiver..

Maybe. The majority of his snaps were from the slot facing off coverage.  Easy to run by safeties and slot corners when given a free release. Unknown if he can turn into Jefferson and beat press coverage at the NFL level though. 

Agreed.  I'll just say; we have JT, TE's that don't catch well, and WRs that lack wiggle despite what routes they run.  Those are absolutes that Steichen will be facing, and those things are the opposite of what he coached in Philly.  But who knows what he does with those. 

The QB will be a big part of what the O looks like no doubt. 

We could wait till after FA and the draft to have a better idea what abolutes he faces.

2 hours ago, John Waylon said:

When he’s gotta stand on his tippy toes to see over the grass?

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d70if0e7naepxqpw90om

Funny that the guy that everybody wants to hype up as the “prototype”, Will Levis, had more passes batted down than Young.  And Young had way more pass attempts. So make that make sense?  

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Who is to say the Colts front office don't share your opinion.  

Then Ballard should’ve been fired along with Reich. And I’ve been fine with Ballard being retained. But if he and Steichen are all in on Levis or Richardson at 4, then I think we’re gonna be in trouble and doomed to fail.  Richardson is highly inaccurate. Needs a lot more development. Levis is skittish and Wentz 2.0.  He’s turnover and injury prone.  Just like Wentz had dreadful games of under 100 yards passing, Levis has had plenty games like that. Often against poor college defenses. Expect him to have many more at the professional level. Ballard has been waiting on his Mahomes. He’s here and his name is Bryce Young. Go watch the tape. It doesn’t lie. 

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

Then Ballard should’ve been fired along with Reich. And I’ve been fine with Ballard being retained. But if he and Steichen are all in on Levis or Richardson at 4, then I think we’re gonna be in trouble and doomed to fail.  Richardson is highly inaccurate. Needs a lot more development. Levis is skittish and Wentz 2.0.  He’s turnover and injury prone.  Just like Wentz had dreadful games of under 100 yards passing, Levis has had plenty games like that. Often against poor college defenses. Expect him to have many more at the professional level. Ballard has been waiting on his Mahomes. He’s here and his name is Bryce Young. Go watch the tape. It doesn’t lie. 

Comparing Levis to Wentz and Young to Mahomes is an absurd statement

Looking at those stats closer, the top guys in long ball throw attempts were Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Hurts, Tua, and Goff.

Mahomes and Allen can be explained by who they are.  Goff can be explained by DET scheme. 

IMO, Burrow, and especially Hurts and Tua need the WRs they have to want to attempt the number of long ball passes they did.  That kind of play calling doesn't transfer well to our personnel at this time.  JMO. 

It could be. I think our QB situation limited the chances on those throws. Remember late in the season that big post to Campbell that Ehlinger essentially punted to him 20 yards short?  Plus I think Pittman and Pierce both can go up and get it either threw off schedule creation from a mobile QB or quick processing and giving either a chance in one on one opportunities. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is word salad.    You’re entitled to whatever opinion you want.   But they typically are a mystery to me and others.   

Thanks. It's just fine if you or others can't pick up the drift. As bright and as eloquent as you see yourself, you at times respond to others in a way showing that you have missed their message. It's what happens at your age.

I see about 1/3 written here as wacko, out in left field garbage, and happily add to my ignore list as it suits me.

As much as i tell myself to spend less time here, i just can't seem to stop myself from poking at the absurd. And i do get a kick out of tossing the salad at them, my way.

What has been disturbing is how the modest circle of better informed regulars that are here have also been cracking under the stress. So many weird takes.     

It's like everyone here has gone crazy!  chuckle

14 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Young is talented no doubt but can he hold up at the nfl level

He held up better than Levis did at the SEC level. The SEC is the closest thing to the NFL on the college level.  He’s a football player. He knows how to get down and avoid the bigger hits. The bigger guys rely too much on their size thinking they’re Superman. Look at our guy Luck.  We loved him for trying to make throws with defensive tackles hanging on him or running over 250 pound linebackers. But it took years off of his career. Give me the guy who knows his limitations but still finds a way to stand tall (:D) in the pocket and deliver.  Or escape the pocket and make a pinpoint throw before the linebacker can blast him.  He’s doing things that only a handful of QB’s in the NFL can do and no QB coming out in this draft can.  None of them. 

16 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Comparing Levis to Wentz and Young to Mahomes is an absurd statement

Why?  Plenty of former NFL QB’s see the similarities. Go watch the tape and tell me you can’t see them too.  Levis is just as injury prone as Wentz and his play suffers for his reckless play style. He’s got a big arm but for every great throw there’s a head scratching WTH kind of throw was that.  Sounds & looks like Wentz to me.

As far as Young being compared to Mahomes, I’m talking about his ability to break contain and make an off schedule throw to all levels of the field.  Sidearm. On the run.  Defender barreling down on him.  He can do all of that.  Again, go watch the tape.  But I’m not saying he’s gonna be Mahomes. He doesn’t need to be. He’s only gotta be Bryce Young.

And Bryce Young has ripped up the best high schools in the state of California and the nation and then ripped up the best conference in college football. I expect he’ll continue the trend and do the same at the NFL level.  Ballard’s “Mahomes” like talent is there for the taking. Go get him and let him sit for a year like Patrick did.  Come next year, he’ll be ready to dominate like he’s always done throughout his football career. 

25 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Why?  Plenty of former NFL QB’s see the similarities. Go watch the tape and tell me you can’t see them too.  Levis is just as injury prone as Wentz and his play suffers for his reckless play style. He’s got a big arm but for every great throw there’s a head scratching WTH kind of throw was that.  Sounds & looks like Wentz to me.

As far as Young being compared to Mahomes, I’m talking about his ability to break contain and make an off schedule throw to all levels of the field.  Sidearm. On the run.  Defender barreling down on him.  He can do all of that.  Again, go watch the tape.  But I’m not saying he’s gonna be Mahomes. He doesn’t need to be. He’s only gotta be Bryce Young.

And Bryce Young has ripped up the best high schools in the state of California and the nation and then ripped up the best conference in college football. I expect he’ll continue the trend and do the same at the NFL level.  Ballard’s “Mahomes” like talent is there for the taking. Go get him and let him sit for a year like Patrick did.  Come next year, he’ll be ready to dominate like he’s always done throughout his football career. 

Will Levis is injury prone? One riddled season doesn't equate to him or any player earning that label. 

He has the best arm talent in the class, the fastest release in the class, and he can move around. Not to mention he's the ideal build for a quarterback. The majority of his INTs should be credited to the receiver, not himself. His footwork is better than Wentz'. His downfall is his progressions and picking up blitz coverage. The team around him was awful last year. He has all the talents you want, he just needs to mesh it together.

Young nor any QB in this class has anywhere near the talent Mahomes had coming out of college. Let alone banking on someone to be "Mahomes" is a surefire way to failure. It's going to be a long time until any QB plays to Mahomes' level

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Thanks. It's just fine if you or others can't pick up the drift. As bright and as eloquent as you see yourself, you at times respond to others in a way showing that you have missed their message. It's what happens at your age.

I see about 1/3 written here as wacko, out in left field garbage, and happily add to my ignore list as it suits me.

As much as i tell myself to spend less time here, i just can't seem to stop myself from poking at the absurd. And i do get a kick out of tossing the salad at them, my way.

What has been disturbing is how the modest circle of better informed regulars that are here have also been cracking under the stress. So many weird takes.     

It's like everyone here has gone crazy!  chuckle

Everyone here has gone a little crazy, me included.   That’s what this insane season has done.   Some very good posters are spending less and less time here.   There are all sorts of weird takes.   But many of them come from the Usual Suspects.  People who have unique takes no matter what, good times and bad.    

By the way, my inability to understand some takes here has nothing to do with my age.   I’m in full control of my mental faculties.   But I’ve got a little a-d-d and don’t always absorb the full meaning.  But I’ve had that for a while, and deal with it.  No meds.   It’s NOT an age thing.   No Alzheimers, no dementia.  

But some posters here don’t write for clarity all that well.   They may understand what they were trying to say, but others clearly don’t.   And I often see that posts I don’t understand are often not understood by many others. 

That’s enough for now.   Tomorrow will be a better day. 

33 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Will Levis is injury prone? One riddled season doesn't equate to him or any player earning that label. 

He has the best arm talent in the class, the fastest release in the class, and he can move around. Not to mention he's the ideal build for a quarterback. The majority of his INTs should be credited to the receiver, not himself. His footwork is better than Wentz'. His downfall is his progressions and picking up blitz coverage. The team around him was awful last year. He has all the talents you want, he just needs to mesh it together.

Young nor any QB in this class has anywhere near the talent Mahomes had coming out of college. Let alone banking on someone to be "Mahomes" is a surefire way to failure. It's going to be a long time until any QB plays to Mahomes' level

I think you are missing the point. Bryce does make mahomes like plays and is a magician in the pocket. The way he evades defenders is like ultra instinct Goku. I can definitely see him being great if he does the same thing at the nfl level. Honestly Ive studied the top 4 alot and went back and looked at mahomes and Allen in college to get an idea if any of those 4 could have success that the scouts fail to see. In the end it will come down to development and going to the right type of coach

39 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Only one close to mahones arm is levis but mahomes was much better than him in college

11 minutes ago, krunk said:

Yeah i want a good crack at Marvin Harrison jr next year. We need that 2024 1st rounder 

I dont think we will be in position to take harrison. If Stiechen can win with hurts he can win with young,stroud,levis,richardson,mckee,hooker,hall.We will be competitive either way.

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

He held up better than Levis did at the SEC level. The SEC is the closest thing to the NFL on the college level.  He’s a football player. He knows how to get down and avoid the bigger hits. The bigger guys rely too much on their size thinking they’re Superman. Look at our guy Luck.  We loved him for trying to make throws with defensive tackles hanging on him or running over 250 pound linebackers. But it took years off of his career. Give me the guy who knows his limitations but still finds a way to stand tall (:D) in the pocket and deliver.  Or escape the pocket and make a pinpoint throw before the linebacker can blast him.  He’s doing things that only a handful of QB’s in the NFL can do and no QB coming out in this draft can.  None of them. 

I know what he can do but I doubt balmard takes him due to his obsession with measurables

3 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Funny that the guy that everybody wants to hype up as the “prototype”, Will Levis, had more passes batted down than Young.  And Young had way more pass attempts. So make that make sense?  

Sir, this is a Wendy's. :grumpy2:

It was a joke. Take your man crush and get out of your own feelings. 

What Is Wrong With You Season 4 GIF by The Office

Archived