Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Updated: Colts hire Shane Steichen as their new HC (Merged)

CR91

6 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

That's true. Mahomes is in a great situation.

But from a statistical standpoint, I think he's on a level we really haven't seen, outside of young/old Rodgers and peak Manning. Not only the highest career passer rating, but also the highest career postseason passer rating.

And Mahomes is doing this from age 23-27, which means he really hasn't even entered what is typically considered prime years (age 28-32). Though with the more mobile QBs, I think what is considered to be prime years shifts down a bit.

I agree. He's winning Super Bowls while still learning how to play the position. That's unreal, unprecedented (besides maybe Brady) and super impressive. 

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

There were several chunk plays and even more attempts. Did you even watch the game

Yes, that's how I concluded it.   Sure, Danta Smith, the TE a couple of times, then the necessary chunk play on 3rd and 14.  What stood out from the Colts O was Hurts running.  I think the longest time consuming drive in SB history was yesterday, and it ended in a FG.  Something like 17 plays and 65 yards?

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Not to change the subject, but that Eagles play is getting pretty close to violating the rule of "helping the runner".  I can see the Rules Committee taking a look at that play, how the Eagles line up two behind to shove the pile.  Seems like it invites injuries, especially like when Chris Jones feels he has to dive over the pile.

How is this "close " to violating the rule. It was illegal to push a runner forward until 2005. The new rule states that you cannot PULL or CARRY a player forward but it is legal to PUSH a player forward.

I do agree with you that the Rules Committee should look at this . I think if they wanted to stop this , they could start by implementing a quicker whistle for forward progress . Seems to me much of the time the runner's  (QB) progress is initially stopped and then he is pushed forward.

2 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

What is taking so long ?  Is Steichen flying over on a big white balloon ?

Maybe Pippi had to make a quick pickup and dropoff before she floats back out to get him. I have no idea why, but I still remember those movies from my childhood.

11 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I agree. He's winning Super Bowls while still learning how to play the position. That's unreal, unprecedented (besides maybe Brady) and super impressive. 

Yep. Brady is a great example of doing that as well, but he had BB's defense often carrying him...or at the very least providing a large margin for error by keeping the scores down.

Mahomes hasn't really had that. KC's defense has been decent, but nothing great. And just look at that last night...he had to put up 38 to win.

Just incredible. There really isn't anything else to say at this point. The idea of facing Mahomes, Burrow, Allen and Herbert for the next decade makes me want to petition for a move to NFC South haha. 

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I guess the Eagles won the TOP battle, 36 minutes to 24 minutes.  Lots of running and not many chunk plays through the air.  Get ready for the Steichen/Reich offense with a more mobile QB and Jonathan Taylor.

Well those 2 45 ish yard bombs, one for a Td and one to the 2 yard line were excellent. And of course as you no doubt saw, KC's D let them methodically move down the field for long drives in the first half. Of course as you saw the Eagles also made several 4th down conversations to extend those time consuming drives. It was 22 to 8 minutes in the first half.

But yes, I can see the Phillip Rivers influence in Steichen's play calling.

Get us a more mobile version of him and we too may lose a SB to Mahomes.

Of course if Gus is still here KC would score in the 50's.

Just now, chad72 said:

As long as he is not met with the US Air Force, I am OK with it. :) 

Yeah we're getting pretty trigger happy thanks to the weekend!

19 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Just incredible. There really isn't anything else to say at this point. The idea of facing Mahomes, Burrow, Allen and Herbert for the next decade makes me want to petition for a move to NFC South haha. 

Iron sharpens iron... oh the IRONy... :D

But with Shane and a new QB, who knows? 

2 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

a j brown helped him become a great offensive mind, it takes player talent for a coach to look good.

Yeah that's funny considering he started to turn the Eagles offense around towards the end of last season when Brown wasn't on the team

33 minutes ago, dw49 said:

How is this "close " to violating the rule. It was illegal to push a runner forward until 2005. The new rule states that you cannot PULL or CARRY a player forward but it is legal to PUSH a player forward.

I do agree with you that the Rules Committee should look at this . I think if they wanted to stop this , they could start by implementing a quicker whistle for forward progress . Seems to me much of the time the runner's  (QB) progress is initially stopped and then he is pushed forward.

Yeah, I did wonder about that. You have a great OL and a QB known for his power lifts, it is a slam dunk sneaking on 4th and short. Good for the Eagles to use everything to their advantage.

I don't think they could have done anymore to win this game. 35 points is the highest score by a SB losing team. 36-24 time of possession too. The problem was Mahomes and their O exposed them WHEN they took the field, 38 points in 24 minutes.

Plus, I heard Colin Cowherd say that Jaguars, in their regular season game, ran a play that took advantage of the Eagles' being too aggressive in playing the guy in motion and got a TD off that. Doug Pederson probably got a call from the HC Andy Reid (that gave him his 1st chance in Philly), and passed it on and eventually got passed on to Bieniemy and they got not one but TWO TDs playing off the Eagles' aggression in playing the guy in motion. Got to tip your hat to coaching. 

3 minutes ago, #12. said:

Special teams and turnovers also - 14 off the fumble and punt return.  

Yes, with 24 minutes of possession, those 14 points earned from flipping field position made a HUGE difference. Otherwise, what Jalen Hurts did should have been plenty enough. 

14 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

The Hurts fumble turned out to be then difference maker. 

Yep. Was such a bizarre play too. They wouldn't even show the replay on TV for some reason.

I hated that late penalty because I wanted to see if Hurts could do it. If he goes downfield and wins that game, nobody is talking about that fumble. Instead, they are having discussions about whether Hurts is a top 5 QB. Which is wild, given that there were many who questioned whether the was the long-term option in PHI.

47 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Well those 2 45 ish yard bombs, one for a Td and one to the 2 yard line were excellent. And of course as you no doubt saw, KC's D let them methodically move down the field for long drives in the first half. Of course as you saw the Eagles also made several 4th down conversations to extend those time consuming drives. It was 22 to 8 minutes in the first half.

Our O was much chunkier through the air with Wentz than with Ryan or Rivers, so QB has something to do with it.

My question is how is Steichen going to use JT.  Philly has anything but a feature RB, Gainwell and Sanders run by committee.  What do you do with the "best" RB in the NFL, relegate him to junior banana?  

Who is at RB is going to influence the playcalling.  And since the Philly O is run heavy, I expect that JT will get as many carries as always, or else it becomes a waste of talent, No?

If we feature JT, and don't have a wide open chunk game through the air, how much different will the O look?

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

Yep. Brady is a great example of doing that as well, but he had BB's defense often carrying him...or at the very least providing a large margin for error by keeping the scores down.

Mahomes hasn't really had that. KC's defense has been decent, but nothing great. And just look at that last night...he had to put up 38 to win.

But we have beat these teams with these QBs the last time we have faced them. (Sans Herbert)

With Steichen and a young QB, I say bring 'em on! 

57 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Yet they didn’t in October now did they 

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Our O was much chunkier through the air with Wentz than with Ryan or Rivers, so QB has something to do with it.

My question is how is Steichen going to use JT.  Philly has anything but a feature RB, Gainwell and Sanders run by committee.  What do you do with the "best" RB in the NFL, relegate him to junior banana?  

Who is at RB is going to influence the playcalling.  And since the Philly O is run heavy, I expect that JT will get as many carries as always, or else it becomes a waste of talent, No?

If we feature JT, and don't have a wide open chunk game through the air, how much different will the O look?

Hurts tossed for over 300 yards. You don’t do that on 3-5 yard throws… 300 yards is still more than ryan did all season in any one game

7 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

But we have beat these teams with these QBs the last time we have faced them. (Sans Herbert)

With Steichen and a young QB, I say bring 'em on! 

That's true. Though Burrow as a rookie and that was a 4-win team, so I don't know if that quite counts the same. That's a much different CIN team now.

But beating Mahomes in a somewhat fluky September game is not really the same as beating him in Jan/Feb, where he wins 79% of his games against playoff teams. And that's what matter.

The Colts have to get there first. So let's hope Steichen is the guy to do it.

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Our OL doesn't compare to the Eagles OL in terms of push against good DLs, IMO, even at their very best. Plus, Pittman and Pierce aren't the same at separating or physicality as Smith and A J Brown. I'd say they have more physical than separation type of wideouts. Those matter as far as how well we can move the ball. Granson and Woods can definitely match Goedert's production with good coaching, I will say that.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Except with Gus here, our team with no QB beat KC this year..and they certainly didnt score in the 50s, as we couldnt score at all this year and managed to win lol

19 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Hurts tossed for over 300 yards. You don’t do that on 3-5 yard throws… 300 yards is still more than ryan did all season in any one game

He had a few big throws, but what put up the yardage was the TOP aided by his running and 4th down conversions.  Keeping drives alive gives more offensive plays, and more passing yards....compared to our O that had a lot of three and outs.  I think Philly had 2.  Ryan's year isn't the only year we had Reich.  The Wentz offense looks a lot like the Philly offense, and there were lots of complaints about the O being too shallow and not chunky enough that year too.  And the Rivers year was not chunky.  As I said, the QB plays a part so its not just the coach, but when Reich had Wentz....and didn't take the ball out of his hands due to his recklessness, the passing game didn't look much different than Philly's last night.  I didn't see a lot of slinging it to the wideouts down the field past 15 air yards.

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Our OL doesn't compare to the Eagles OL in terms of push against good DLs, IMO, even at their very best. Plus, Pittman and Pierce aren't the same at separating or physicality as Smith and A J Brown. I'd say they have more physical than separation type of wideouts. Those matter as far as how well we can move the ball. Granson and Woods can definitely match Goedert's production with good coaching, I will say that.

So its going to be short routes to the receivers with contested catches and JT getting stuffed.  Got it.

Maybe we'll see more designed outside runs with JT.  That will be different.

4 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

Except with Gus here, our team with no QB beat KC this year..and they certainly didnt score in the 50s, as we couldnt score at all this year and managed to win lol

Pretty sure Gus held Mahomes to his lowest scores of the year too

Just now, DougDew said:

He had a few big throws, but what put up the yardage was the TOP aided by his running and 4th down conversions.  Keeping drives alive gives more offensive plays, and more passing yards.  Ryan's year isn't the only year we had Reich.  The Wentz offense looks a lot like the Philly offense, and there were lots of complaints about the O being too shallow and not chunky enough that year too.  And the Rivers year was not chunky.  As I said, the QB plays a part so its not just the coach, but when Reich had Wentz....and didn't take the ball out of his hands due to his recklessness, the passing game didn't look much different than Philly's last night.  I didn't see a lot of slinging it to the wideouts down the field past 15 air yards.

So its going to be short routes to the receivers and stuff-city with JT.  Got it.

We’ll all I know is this, Shane’s Offense took Hurts and the eagles to Super Bowl, if it at least gets us the division back, I’ll be happy

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The thing is...there isn't a pass catcher on the Colts that would start on PHI, at least not as a WR1/WR2 or a TE1. That's crazy to think about.

I think some are going to have way too high of expectations for Steichen coming in. Other than a QB, they still have some serious work to do with the pass catching group. 

The 2022 Colts are similar the 2020 PHI team. They just didn't have the rookie QB already on the roster, so they are a year behind that timeline.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So its going to be short routes to the receivers and JT getting stuffed.  Got it.

I look at KC - they have a bunch of JAGs for WRs outside a rarely healthy former first rounder in Toney. But they have different kinds. "Short area burst for quick throw YAC" types like Toney and Skyy Moore. Then "short area physical pass catchers" like JuJu and Kelce. Then only truly 1 long distance guy like MVS. Otherwise, they are essentially running a Tom Brady offense with death by a thousand paper cuts now because routes for guys like MVS take time to form as Tom Brady found out with 3 years of Randy Moss.

Assuming we retain Parris, Steichen should be able to mix and match them at all levels and get someone streaking on the sidelines and hit a few occasional big chunks but the majority will still be smaller chunks. Just that the smaller chunks will be of the 15-20 yard kinds instead of the 5-10 yard kinds under Matt Ryan due to his arm limitations if defenders play tight.

2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

The thing is...there isn't a pass catcher on the Colts that would start on PHI, which is crazy to think about. I think some are going to have way too high of expectations for Steichen coming in. Other than a QB, they still have some serious work to do with the pass catching group.

Oh come on now! I would wager Pittman and Campbell could start on the eagles. Probably even Pierce. I do agree we could use a solid #1 playmaker though.

6 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

The thing is...there isn't a pass catcher on the Colts that would start on PHI, which is crazy to think about. I think some are going to have way too high of expectations for Steichen coming in. Other than a QB, they still have some serious work to do with the pass catching group.

If we retain Parris and use him and Woods/Granson for crossers, and stress with RPOs with a mobile QB, we could do some damage. I would get Allen Lazard in free agency, he is one heck of a blocking WR that can also catch in tight quarters, and that will help us attack all levels, IMO, and thus make Pittman and Pierce more effective too.

10 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

The thing is...there isn't a pass catcher on the Colts that would start on PHI, at least not as a WR1/WR2 or a TE1. That's crazy to think about.

I think some are going to have way too high of expectations for Steichen coming in. Other than a QB, they still have some serious work to do with the pass catching group. 

The 2022 Colts are similar the 2020 PHI team. They just didn't have the rookie QB already on the roster, so they are a year behind that timeline.

So Pittman isn't starting over Quez Watkins?

9 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Its the same run-based, shallow passing offense, IMO.  Its not a KC or a Buffalo O.  Philly simply executes it better primarily because they have better players to execute it compared to the Colts.  

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

I look at KC - they have a bunch of JAGs for WRs outside a rarely healthy former first rounder in Toney. But they have different kinds. "Short area burst for quick throw YAC" types like Toney and Skyy Moore. Then "short area physical pass catchers" like JuJu and Kelce. Then only truly 1 long distance guy like MVS. Otherwise, they are essentially running a Tom Brady offense with death by a thousand paper cuts now because routes for guys like MVS take time to form as Tom Brady found out with 3 years of Randy Moss.

Assuming we retain Parris, Steichen should be able to mix and match them at all levels and get someone streaking on the sidelines and hit a few occasional big chunks but the majority will still be smaller chunks. Just that the smaller chunks will be of the 15-20 yard kinds instead of the 5-10 yard kinds under Matt Ryan due to his arm limitations if defenders play tight.

I don't know if I would call if a bunch of JAGs. Outside of MVS (who has been a productive WR3 type), they are all 1st and 2nd round picks (JuJu, Toney, Hardman, Moore). And with the depth, they had the luxury of using guys in different ways. Or bring a player like Moore along really slowly.

I wouldn't mind the Colts doing that approach, but we are likely looking at a decent vet FA and another 1-2 early picks to pull it off. 

Archived