Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Updated: Colts hire Shane Steichen as their new HC (Merged)

CR91

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, OLD FAN MAN said:

a j brown helped him become a great offensive mind, it takes player talent for a coach to look good.

It goes hand in hand. 

but I’ll say this, we need a QB first and foremost, with a dynamic WR or TE. Those two things there will help, then it’s OL and we should be at least competitive on offense. 

55 minutes ago, chad72 said:

To me, Shane Steichen has the Kyle Shanahan feel to me. Hired as a HC after a SB loss, I am sure he will bring a lot of youthful energy and creativity to our offense. 

Man I hope so. Shanahan was probably the last slam dunk HC hire that I recall. 

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Sirianni wasn’t too bad.

He's been great.

I just meant at the time of the hire. I recall plenty of people questioning the Sirianni hire. And he got plenty of grief after his introductory presser.

Maybe they questioned Shanahan too, but he seemed like he was in a different class of HC candidate. He had years of success as an OC. He had the lineage and the coaching tree. 

There are definitely similarities with Shanahan and Steichen though. I am stoked for this hire.

Just now, shasta519 said:

He's been great.

I just meant at the time of the hire. I recall plenty of people questioning the Sirianni hire. And he got plenty of grief after his introductory presser.

Maybe they questioned Shanahan too, but he seemed like he was in a different class of HC candidate. He had years of success as an OC. He had the lineage and the coaching tree. 

There are definitely similarities with Shanahan and Steichen though. I am stoked for this hire.

Ironically, now both Shanahan and Sirianni have lost to Chiefs with Reid/Mahomes in the SB. Another 'S' in Steichen to be hired. :thmup:

Just now, chad72 said:

Ironically, now both Shanahan and Sirianni have lost to Chiefs with Reid/Mahomes in the SB. Another 'S' in Steichen to be hired. :thmup:

Had them on the ropes both times as well, but Mahomes is who he is.

I am old enough to remember when people still questioned whether Mahomes was actually a great QB haha. He's going to be the greatest if injuries don't derail it. 

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I am old enough to remember when people still questioned whether Mahomes was actually a great QB haha. He's going to be the greatest if injuries don't derail it. 

Andy Reid just showed you coaching matters, clearly. Kelce is their only elite option and he was schemed open, just like Toney and Skyy Moore were on their TDs.

Belichick always kept the margin of error for Brady, great defensive coach, and that is overlooked. Yes, Andy Reid didn't win a SB with McNabb and Belichick hasn't gone to a divisional round without Brady, just goes to show you it is all about the elite QB, which Mahomes and Brady are.

The league is friendly for very good QB play, with WRs not worried about taking hits on high balls and QBs protected. 

13 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Mahomes certainly has an all time great skill set. Among the best of the best. But there are a number of greats that could win SB's with this coaching staff and this group of players. 

37 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Good news is that we'd see the Chiefs in the AFCCG, so we don't have to worry about our "S" coach losing to the Chiefs in the Super Bowl.

Just now, Shive said:

Good news is that we'd see the Chiefs in the AFCCG, so we don't have to worry about our "S" coach losing to the Chiefs in the Super Bowl.

Irony that Mahomes lost to the Colts in 2019 and 2022 and ends up winning the SB both those years. :) 

Are we a good luck charm for the Chiefs?

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

You obviously have 0 sense when it comes to finances.Frank bought his home in Indy for 1.5 million and sold it a few years later for 1.9 million.....but you would rent...lol

You left out taxes paid, bills paid, fees to real estate agents and upkeep. Obviously you lived with your parents all your life. Also, what does cost have to do with hiring and firing Indy coaches?  I was hinting losing coaches are the essence of the NFL "Not For Long". 

4 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Why only the Chiefs?:thmup:

Because the others didn't win the SB AND lose to the Colts. Rams beat us in 2021 and won the SB. Chiefs however lost to us in 2019 and 2022, and won the SB both occasions.

Bucs lost to Saints both times in the regular season in 2020 and won the SB. Then, they lost to the Saints both times in the regular season in 2021 but lost in the divisional round to the Rams. 

Just a co-incidence I was pointing out.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Wonder how Saturday did with this.

He would have said "the staff I am hiring would take care of this or I would just go with my gut". :) 

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Wonder how Saturday did with this.

Am wondering the same thing. 

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Because the others didn't win the SB AND lose to the Colts. Rams beat us in 2021 and won the SB. Chiefs however lost to us in 2019 and 2022, and won the SB both occasions.

Bucs lost to Saints both times in the regular season in 2020 and won the SB. Then, they lost to the Saints both times in the regular season in 2021 but lost in the divisional round to the Rams. 

Just a co-incidence I was pointing out.

He would have said "the staff I am hiring would take care of this or I would just go with my gut". :) 

Can't lie, this made me laugh lol

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This. Is so interesting.

Interesting indeed.

I'd like to see a video of someone (not one of the candidates) go through this practice. I'd hope it's not a test of who can more accurately guess the proper analytic, and suspect it isn't.

New online game simulator?

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I imagine when they got to 4th and short situation, Steichen said "well I would just push the QB across the 1D line. Don't you guys do that here?"

Not to change the subject, but that Eagles play is getting pretty close to violating the rule of "helping the runner".  I can see the Rules Committee taking a look at that play, how the Eagles line up two behind to shove the pile.  Seems like it invites injuries, especially when Chris Jones feels he has to dive over the pile.

27 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Mahomes certainly has an all time great skill set. Among the best of the best. But there are a number of greats that could win SB's with this coaching staff and this group of players. 

That's true. Mahomes is in a great situation.

But from a statistical standpoint, I think he's on a level we really haven't seen, outside of young/old Rodgers and peak Manning. Not only the highest career passer rating, but also the highest career postseason passer rating.

And Mahomes is doing this from age 23-27, which means he really hasn't even entered what is typically considered prime years (age 28-32). Though with the more mobile QBs, I think what is considered to be prime years shifts down a bit.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Not to change the subject, but that Eagles play is getting pretty close to violating the rule of "helping the runner".  I can see the Rules Committee taking a look at that play, how the Eagles line up two behind to shove the pile.  Seems like it invites injuries, especially when Chris Jones feels he has to dive over the pile.

Yeah. I would have to think the rules committee will want to take a look at that. It's basically unstoppable and to your point, somebody could easily get hurt in a mashed up pile of both sides pushing and guys on the defense launching forward. 

Not sure what they can do though, short of eliminating QB sneaks. I guess they could start to call a penalty if the QB is pushed from behind, but that seems very subjective.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

From what I understand, you're not able to pull someone forward with you, but you can push from behind without any problem. We ran a similar QB sneak where Pittman was one of the 2 lined up in the backfield and pushed the QB from behind.

Just now, DougDew said:

I guess the Eagles won the TOP battle, 36 minutes to 24 minutes.  Lots of running and not many chunk plays through the air.  Get ready for the Steichen/Reich offense with a more mobile QB and Jonathan Taylor.

I feel like the fumble return for a TD and punt return for a TD skew that stat.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I guess the Eagles won the TOP battle, 36 minutes to 24 minutes.  Lots of running and not many chunk plays through the air.  Get ready for the Steichen/Reich offense with a more mobile QB and Jonathan Taylor.

There were several chunk plays and even more attempts. Did you even watch the game

Archived