Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Convince me that I'm wrong about the current state of the Colts vs. the AFC elite

Indeee

Let's have an honest, open-minded discussion here:

My take.

While most are excited with anticipation of our new HC/Staff and pondering over which QB would best fit our team, I can't help but have a much wider lens. 

When I think of the next decade in the AFC, I'm not seeing where the Colts can actually make a splash at all with this current roster, especially offensively. Yes, this team needs a QB, at least a stable one in the worst way but this offense from the skill positions is putrid. It's nowhere close to being elite. In fact, I would say that this year's draft should be entirely offense for the first 4-5 rounds and I'm not talking about drafting O-line or RB. 

Outside of JT, who on this offense scares defenses? I mean look at our competition.

Bengals: Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Mixon, and Hurst.

Chiefs: Mahomes, Kelce, Mckinnon, Pacheo, Toney, Schuster, and Scantling/Hardman.

Bills: Allen, Diggs, Davis, McKensie, Knox, and Singletary.

Jags: Lawrence, Ridley, Kirk, Ettiene, Jones, and Engram.

Chargers: Herbert, Allen, Williams, Eckler, Palmer, and Everette. 

Dolphins: Tua, Waddle, Hill, Mostert, and Geseki. 

That is a gauntlet, and the Dolphins, Bills, and Chiefs are the least stacked IMHO, albeit still highly dangerous. 

Is Pittman, Campbell, and Pierce anywhere near what our competition already has in place at WR? I mean these guys struggle to gain separation most days. There are some on here actually suggesting that Pittman be traded. Who knows? It might just happen. Ballard himself basically recently eluded that Pittman is not a number one, something all of us should have known when he was drafted, heck i for one said it, and Pierce is terrible. Pierce is a WR3, if. 

Does anyone on here think Jelani Woods is a "Move" tight end? Meaning, is Jelani in the mold from a route running/quickness standpoint as Engram or Kelce or Everette? If he is, he isn't/hasn't been used that way and wouldn't most agree that if a player shows that type of skill in a practice standpoint that the team would try to utilize that in game? 

I think sometimes we as fans get caught up in what I call "fool's gold football".  We are so hopeful and forgiving that we stop using our eyes and instead, see with our minds. We start playing the what if game that's always predicated on what our minds are seeing in terms of hoping what our team can be. We lose sight of what it actually is.  Unfortunately, this has happened to a lot of us on this forum for the past few years and here we are. Most times I get crucified on here but I'm a realist. 

When Peyton was here, other than the Chargers always having our number, it was just the Patriots we had to worry about normally. Not now. Now there is at least 6 teams, and the Steelers are close to entering that mix with Pickett, Harris, Pickens, Johnson, and Friermuth.

I'm sorry, but this Colts team is years away from entering that gauntlet with this current offensive roster. Can the Colts win a game here and there, sure, but this team is nowhere near competing for a SB anytime soon. Again, this about winning Super Bowls, and we can't even win the division. 

Yes, we need a stable QB, however without a formidable skill tree around that QB, we are just spinning wheels. Where is that Skill tree going to come from? 

This team is in trouble, and it will take at least 3-4 more years to get somewhat close without an awful lot of luck. Ballard built this team for the 80's style of play and unfortunately it might have set us back that long. 

Convince me I'm wrong. Seriously. I'm trying to make waves here; the waters are already extremely choppy. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Indeee said:

My take.

While most are excited with anticipation of our new HC/Staff and pondering over which QB would best fit our team, I can't help but have a much wider lens. 

When I think of the next decade in the AFC, I'm not seeing where the Colts can actually make a splash at all with this current roster, especially offensively. Yes, this team needs a QB, at least a stable one in the worst way but this offense from the skill positions is putrid. It's nowhere close to being elite. In fact, I would say that this year's draft should be entirely offense for the first 4-5 rounds and I'm not talking about drafting O-line or RB. 

Outside of JT, who on this offense scares defenses? I mean look at our competition.

Chiefs: Mahomes, Kelce, Mckinnon, Pacheo, Toney, Schuster, and Scantling/Hardman.

That is a gauntlet, and the Dolphins, Bills, and Chiefs are the least stacked IMHO, albeit still highly dangerous. 

Is Pittman, Campbell, and Pierce anywhere near what our competition already has in place at WR? I mean these guys struggle to gain separation most days. There are some on here actually suggesting that Pittman be traded. Who knows? It might just happen. Ballard himself basically recently eluded that Pittman is not a number one, something all of us should have known when he was drafted, heck i for one said it, and Pierce is terrible. Pierce is a WR3, if. 

Does anyone on here think Jelani Woods is a "Move" tight end? Meaning, is Jelani in the mold from a route running/quickness standpoint as Engram or Kelce or Everette? If he is, he isn't/hasn't been used that way and wouldn't most agree that if a player shows that type of skill in a practice standpoint that the team would try to utilize that in game? 

I think sometimes we as fans get caught up in what I call "fool's gold football".  We are so hopeful and forgiving that we stop using our eyes and instead, see with our minds. We start playing the what if game that's always predicated on what our minds are seeing in terms of hoping what our team can be. We lose sight of what it actually is.  Unfortunately, this has happened to a lot of us on this forum for the past few years and here we are. Most times I get crucified on here but I'm a realist. 

When Peyton was here, other than the Chargers always having our number, it was just the Patriots we had to worry about normally. Not now. Now there is at least 6 teams, and the Steelers are close to entering that mix with Pickett, Harris, Pickens, Johnson, and Friermuth.

I'm sorry, but this Colts team is years away from entering that gauntlet with this current offensive roster. Can the Colts win a game here and there, sure, but this team is nowhere near competing for a SB anytime soon. Again, this about winning Super Bowls, and we can't even win the division. 

Yes, we need a stable QB, however without a formidable skill tree around that QB, we are just spinning wheels. Where is that Skill tree going to come from? 

This team is in trouble, and it will take at least 3-4 more years to get somewhat close without an awful lot of luck. Ballard built this team for the 80's style of play and unfortunately it might have set us back that long. 

Convince me I'm wrong. Seriously. I'm trying to make waves here; the waters are already extremely choppy. 

To be fair, we haven't seen our WRs or TEs with a good QB, yet... and if you watch the all-22 film, our WRs were open down field a LOT this past year, but Ryan didnt try to throw to any of them (either didnt see them or knew he didnt have the arm for it).

I don't know, the Giants just went from winning a grand total of 14 games from 2019-2021 to making the playoffs this past season. And in the process got rid of their 2021 first round draft pick(Toney.) I don't think things are as bleak as some on here think. And they(the Giants) don't have a quarterback. The Jags won 10 games from 2019-2021. Two changes, the right coach, and right quarterback and we are right back in the playoffs next year.

5 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

To be fair, we haven't seen our WRs or TEs with a good QB, yet... and if you watch the all-22 film, our WRs were open down field a LOT this past year, but Ryan didnt try to throw to any of them (either didnt see them or knew he didnt have the arm for it).

I'm not discounting your opinion/view, so I hope it doesn't come across that way. With that said, I HOPE you turn out to be right, however that is all we have done over the past 5-6 years is hope and make excuses to why this teams' players cannot get it done. 

The lack of the QB and the QB carousel has been an issue, however we can't keep going back to that well, when a guy like Purdy can come in and make throws with literally zero chemistry except for practice and it's because Samuel, Ayuuk, Kittle, and McCaffery are Skill position studs. 

No you’re pretty much spot on with this. One thing that I thought when watching the playoffs was that this is definitely an offseason where Ballard needs to look around. And I mean look at other teams around the league.

Of the teams that made the playoffs, only the Seahawks and Bucs had QBs over the age of 30. None of course, guys like Burrow, Mahomes, and Allen will get older so eventually it’ll even out, but the point I’m making is that these teams are winning with QBs drafted within the last 5 years.

12 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Is Pittman, Campbell, and Pierce anywhere near what our competition already has in place at WR?

Nope. Which is why I’m not against a Pittman trade. He’s not a real number 1. And we haven’t had one in such a long time. Maybe since Hilton was in his prime. These WRs don’t scare anyone. TE is a hard position to find elite talent at so I’m not going to be hard on that group. Woods has potential, but MAC is replacement level talent. JT is really the only true threat on offense. As you pointed out those teams in the playoffs (NFC and AFC) have dawgs at receiver besides the Giants and we see where that got them. 

16 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I think this started around the Pagano/Grigson era. People discredit the impact that Luck had on this team, and don’t realize he carried awful teams to the playoffs. People settled for thinking that subpar players were always just a season away from turning into all-pro caliber players and that became the identity of the fanbase. People became enamored with the idea that everyone just needed time for development or some type of better situation. At some point people forgot how important it is to have elite talent at the skill positions. These average Joe’s don’t win anything.

To the OP:

The answer is, we aren't nearly better than KC, Cincy, or Buffalo and you know it. That is the answer you wanted to hear.

Having said that Cincy was bad before that got Joe Burrow, Buffalo was bad for 2 decades before they got Allen, Philly was bad for a couple years before they got Hurts. Those teams turned it around quickly because they got the right QB and right coach. We aren't far off from being a competitive playoff team if we get the right QB and right coach. We have a defense that played well for 3/4 of the season without Leonard and when healthy arguably the best RB in the league. We aren't as bad as you and others want to make it. We lost 3 games by 1 point, blew a 33 point lead in another, win those 4 games alone we would've been 8-8-1. It is what it is but as usual you have nothing positive to ever say homer simpson lol GIF

Since 2002, we have had only 4 losing seasons (2011, 2017, 2019, and this past season), and some lose their marbles over it lmao . I just went back 20 years.

What did the Bengals, Chiefs, Bills, Dolphins all do? Play FA enough.

Bengals - whole bunch of DL and OL in free agency, got Hayden Hurst in FA

Chiefs - got JuJu and MVS in FA, got Toney in a trade, made a few FA moves as well

Bills - got Diggs in a trade

Dolphins - got Hill in a trade, and other FA moves too

Can't sit back and just rely only on the draft. There should be a conscious decision to go from good to great with FA additions, no matter where you put the money on to help the rookie QB. Take advantage of the rookie contract like the Bengals did to play FA from 2023 off season to 2025 off season.

32 minutes ago, Indeee said:

My take.

The only team that concerns me are the bengals. We typically own the chiefs and the bills are super soft. Herbert chokes and tua does invoke fear. Honestly the only other team that may give us trouble besides our division rivals are the steelers.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To the OP:

Having said that Cincy was bad before that got Joe Burrow, Buffalo was bad for 2 decades before they got Allen, Philly was bad for a couple years before they got Hurts. Those teams turned it around quickly because they got the right QB and right coach.

Don't forget the Jags.   Cincy and JAX had to be very bad for many years to get good.   High draft picks for a few years makes it easier to turn it around.  I don't really want to wait out a few bad seasons so I hope we hit a home run on the HC and QB.

5 minutes ago, Stephen said:

The only team that concerns me are the bengals. We typically own the chiefs and the bills are super soft. Herbert chokes and tua does invoke fear. Honestly the only other team that may give us trouble besides our division rivals are the steelers.

What is funny is, the Bills and Chargers have never won a SB - what have they done? Most of this fan base would lose their minds had we never won one. Imagine if we had a team like the Bills do and would've lost Sunday, this place would've been so bad that it would look like this cliff collapse GIF

38 minutes ago, Indeee said:

My take.

The right coach, the right QB and we’re in it. The bengals went from 1-15 to the AFCCG last year and now this year with just those two big changes. Plus anything can happen to those teams currently better than us as well. 

12 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Yeah but when we played the Chiefs with Luck in the divisional round in 2018 with Mahomes for the first time, we got crushed. So, you can't take anything for granted purely based on past history. We have lost to the Ravens too, like the Chargers and Raiders at home the past few years, and let us first get out of our division without getting swept by the Titans or losing at Jacksonville all over again. We got blown out by the Giants, Cowboys and played the Chiefs, Vikings and Eagles tough, so it is a game to game thing. 

Bottom line, division first. If we are good enough to win our division, you give yourself a puncher's chance in the playoffs, that is all.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What is funny is, the Bills and Chargers have never won a SB - what have they done? Most of this fan base would lose their minds had we never won one. Imagine if we had a team like the Bills do and would've lost Sunday, this place would've been so bad that it would look like this cliff collapse GIF

Let's not derail this thread please. It isn't about teams winning or not winning Super Bowls, it's about having the Skill players to compete with the other teams in hopes to win SB's. 

3 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Let's not derail this thread please. It isn't about teams winning or not winning Super Bowls, it's about having the Skill players to compete with the other teams in hopes to win SB's. 

I was making a point and wasn't derailing anything. I addressed your point with my first post. Also what I posted is a fact. Why don't you post something positive instead of getting on here bashing the Colts over and over.

32 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I'm not discounting your opinion/view, so I hope it doesn't come across that way. With that said, I HOPE you turn out to be right, however that is all we have done over the past 5-6 years is hope and make excuses to why this teams' players cannot get it done. 

The lack of the QB and the QB carousel has been an issue, however we can't keep going back to that well, when a guy like Purdy can come in and make throws with literally zero chemistry except for practice and it's because Samuel, Ayuuk, Kittle, and McCaffery are Skill position studs. 

the 49ers also have an elite D and elite O-line, which obviously helps...and a coaching staff that seems to make every/any QB that plays in their system look just as good as the next

38 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I think once this team gets a REAL OC, Pierce and especially Woods will shine. JT will always be a weapon, but we do need another WR (among O-linemen) 

I'm still not sold on MPJ being a true # 1. There, I said it. 

I think Pierce will grow into that #1 and Pittman will be a solid #2

2 minutes ago, #12. said:

Trying to out-Mahomes the Chiefs or out-Allen the Bills is not the way to beat them anyway.  

Yep, you find a way to contain them and score enough on their D. Brady did it for so long by just scoring enough against the best with his D doing a great job of containing QBs, and now Burrow is doing the same.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was making a point and wasn't derailing anything. I addressed your point with my first post. Also what I posted is a fact. Why don't you post something positive instead of getting on here bashing the Colts over and over.

Ok slow your roll cowboy. If you addressed my post earlier, I missed it. I just didn't want a veer about what other teams have done or haven't done in comparison whether the point is true or not.  My posts are not neg or *, they are indifferent. 

Just now, coltsblue1844 said:

we beat KC with Ryan at QB! and the Bills with Wentz!  so no, we are not as far off as many think

Those team that we’ve beaten are consistently in the divisional round and Conference championships. They’re Not moved by a regular season loss by a team who hasn’t sniffed anything further than the divisional round since 2018. The Colts are the team who upsets the contenders in the regular season, while the contenders end up making deep post season runs. When we beat the Chiefs in the divisional round, or the Bills in the wildcard, then we can talk.

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

Ok slow your roll cowboy. If you addressed my post earlier, I missed it. I just didn't want a veer about what other teams have done or haven't done in comparison whether the point is true or not.  My posts are not neg or *, they are indifferent. 

Happy Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons- ok, I found my Cowboy hat. I will let it be and won't comment on your thread anymore. I think I made my points. Have a nice day.

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

When we beat the Chiefs in the divisional round, or the Bills in the wildcard, then we can talk.

I would take even a step backward, let us first win our division by beating the likes of the Titans and Jaguars enough times, then we can talk. We are not going anywhere if we can't beat our divisional rivals first, and then we can deal with the AFC elite. That should be our primary goal and if you are good enough to do it, then other things will fall/can be constructed in place.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Happy Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons- ok, I found my Cowboy hat. I will let it be and won't comment on your thread anymore. I think I made my points. Have a nice day.

Ok, well I'm not upset that you comment whichever way you like as it is your right to agree or disagree. Comment as much as you like, I just didn't want you to become offended by me was all, thinking I might get combative with you based on our little spats in the past. You have a nice day as well. :thmup:

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Those team that we’ve beaten are consistently in the divisional round and Conference championships. They’re Not moved by a regular season loss by a team who hasn’t sniffed anything further than the divisional round since 2018. The Colts are the team who upsets the contenders in the regular season, while the contenders end up making deep post season runs. When we beat the Chiefs in the divisional round, or the Bills in the wildcard, then we can talk.

My point is, with sub-par QB play and sub-par coaching, we still have the talent to beat the "contenders"... we have either beaten or hung with for most of the game, all of the contenders we have played the past few years.

With the right QB, right coaching staff and team adjustments, we really are not as far away as many seem to think

3 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

My point is, with sub-par QB play and sub-par coaching, we still have the talent to beat the "contenders"... we have either beaten or hung with for most of the game, all of the contenders we have played the past few years.

With the right QB, right coaching staff and team adjustments, we really are not as far away as many seem to think

You can say that for pretty much every team. Even the Jets with Mike White were very competitive and they have the right pieces and coaching staff, just not the right QB to go against the best.

30 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I think its very disingenuous the way you talk about the Colts vs other teams.

90% of the guys you listed are not feared by any team in the league.

And I really dont understand the point youre trying to make on Brock Purdy. He isnt in our team so how does him having success with the 49ers negate the fact we havent found a guy to come in and stabilize our Quarterback position? Its the most important position on the field and the lack of a stabilizing force there absolutely affects the performance of our skill players, who arent that bad at all.

I mean if youre seriously gonna sit here and list guys like Singletary, schuster, Scantling, Hardman, Toney, Jones, McKenzie, Hurst and Engram as "feared" offensive players then I would absolutely list Pittman, Pierce, Campbell, Woods and JT as players of that caliber.

21 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

I mean if you're seriously gonna sit here and list guys like Singletary, schuster, Scantling, Hardman, Toney, Jones, McKenzie, Hurst and Engram as "feared" offensive players then I would absolutely list Pittman, Pierce, Campbell, Woods and JT as players of that caliber.

I agree. Get the QB right and good things happen. The last time we got very good QB play with Rivers, we were in the playoffs (we have added talent since then). When we got above average QB play from Wentz and below average QB play from Ryan & others, we missed the playoffs with a record in line with the level of QB play for the season.

22 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

You can’t “contend” with the talent level we have. You can beat up on some bad teams and then upset a real contender from time to time. When we have elite talent at OT, CB, WR, QB, and Edge then we can contend. And it may be hard to have it at every position but you at least need 3/5 and QB and WR are a must.

29 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I would take even a step backward, let us first win our division by beating the likes of the Titans and Jaguars enough times, then we can talk. We are not going anywhere if we can't beat our divisional rivals first, and then we can deal with the AFC elite. That should be our primary goal and if you are good enough to do it, then other things will fall/can be constructed in place.

Yeah that’s a good point. Can’t go anywhere if we’re going to get swept by the Titans and beat up by the Jags every year. Also going to be tough with the Jags finally showing progress and the Titans being a few pieces away. And if the Texans get the HC and QB right then the AFC elite will be the least of our concerns.

This is a weak league.  Five hundred and below five hundred teams are making the playoffs.  The player turnover on teams happen every year.  Teams can’t afford to keep all of their stars.  Next year Allen counts 39m against the Bills cap.  The cheap ride is over.  Jags went from last to 1st.  I’m not worried at all.  Getting the quarterback is the key.  We will be fine.

1 minute ago, Goatface Killah said:

I think its very disingenuous the way you talk about the Colts vs other teams.

90% of the guys you listed are not feared by any team in the league.

And I really dont understand the point youre trying to make on Brock Purdy. He isnt in our team so how does him having success with the 49ers negate the fact we havent found a guy to come in and stabilize our Quarterback position? Its the most important position on the field and the lack of a stabilizing force there absolutely affects the performance of our skill players, who arent that bad at all.

I mean if youre seriously gonna sit here and list guys like Singletary, schuster, Scantling, Hardman, Toney, Jones, McKenzie, Hurst and Engram as "feared" offensive players then I would absolutely list Pittman, Pierce, Campbell, Woods and JT as players of that caliber.

It is made towards the mindset that our issues to why our skill players have underperformed is due primarily towards lack of QB stability/chemistry and/or coaching. Sometimes this mindset is true, yet in the case of Purdy it is not, totally. Sometimes playmakers put themselves constantly in position to make the QB's job easier as well.  We don't have that currently in Indy for whatever reason. 

Why disingenuous? All I'm doing is showing parallels. I watch ALL football, not just the Colts. I root for great football by all teams around the league as I generally love the game itself. Lately I have found other teams to be more exciting, more explosive than the current Colts team. Am I jealous? You bet I am. But out of all the players you listed that you tried to call me out on, I said originally that the KC, Buff, and Mia squad was least impressive from skill positions, and you primarily listed the Chiefs, so I guess we agree. 

You can be as hopeful and happy all you want in regard to the current Colts skill players. Go for it. 

I'm not going to ride with you in that boat. To me, 90% the Colts skill positions are just a bunch of JAG guys currently. If a different QB and coach comes in here and has these guys overachieve, then I will be the first to admit I was wrong. Until that happens, I'm right 1000%. and have been for years now all while the rest of you have thought the different QB each year was going to come in here and make these guys better, yet here we are talking about another different QB about to come in here thinking this QB is going to make these guys better. See the pattern here?

Your pattern is thinking these guys are going to be good with a different/better QB. My pattern is saying it doesn't matter what QB comes in here. These guys are nowhere near the talent level they need to be at to consistently make plays at a high level. 

So far, the different QB perspective/pattern has had a chance every year and has failed. So here we go again.  

Look, any team, including the Colts can win or lose games regardless of higher talent players on the roster. My point is that it benefits a team more when their players are higher talent players than not, QB included but not isolated to.  

9 minutes ago, Indeee said:

It is made towards the mindset that our issues to why our skill players have underperformed is due primarily towards lack of QB stability/chemistry and/or coaching. Sometimes this mindset is true, yet in the case of Purdy it is not, totally. Sometimes playmakers put themselves constantly in position to make the QB's job easier as well.  We don't have that currently in Indy for whatever reason. 

Why disingenuous? All I'm doing is showing parallels. I watch ALL football, not just the Colts. I root for great football by all teams around the league as I generally love the game itself. Lately I have found other teams to be more exciting, more explosive than the current Colts team. Am I jealous? You bet I am. But out of all the players you listed that you tried to call me out on, I said originally that the KC, Buff, and Mia squad was least impressive from skill positions, and you primarily listed the Chiefs, so I guess we agree. 

You can be as hopeful and happy all you want in regard to the current Colts skill players. Go for it. 

I'm not going to ride with you in that boat. To me, 90% the Colts skill positions are just a bunch of JAG guys currently. If a different QB and coach comes in here and has these guys overachieve, then I will be the first to admit I was wrong. Until that happens, I'm right 1000%. and have been for years now all while the rest of you have thought the different QB each year was going to come in here and make these guys better, yet here we are talking about another different QB about to come in here thinking this QB is going to make these guys better. See the pattern here?

Your pattern is thinking these guys are going to be good with a different/better QB. My pattern is saying it doesn't matter what QB comes in here. These guys are nowhere near the talent level they need to be at to consistently make plays at a high level. 

So far, the different QB perspective/pattern has had a chance every year and has failed. So here we go again.  

Look, any team, including the Colts can win or lose games regardless of higher talent players on the roster. My point is that it benefits a team more when their players are higher talent players than not, QB included but not isolated to.  

I truly dont understand anything you are saying here.

There is no such thing as 1000%.

Just now, Goatface Killah said:

I truly dont understand anything you are saying here.

There is no such thing as 1000%.

Really? Ha!! I think you know exactly what I'm saying and are always just going to be the antagonist where I'm concerned.

But in case your genuine in your lack of understanding, it means that until your theory of needing just a better QB after already having 2 future HOFers, 2 rookies, 1 Super Bowl winner, and a bunch of other knuckleheads behind center over the past 6 years, is proven otherwise to what it normally turns out to be, my theory is always going to be correct. That it's not just about the QB or coaching. Yes, QB and Coaching are important, but so is the surrounding talent and this team's surrounding talent is mediocre.

Archived