Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Convince me that I'm wrong about the current state of the Colts vs. the AFC elite

Indeee

16 minutes ago, Nickster said:

No not at all.  I’m not an championship or bust type of fan.  I think you want your team trying for that though.  But it seems beyond clear that we are not headed in a good direction as an org.

TN made a major mistake not resigning Brown.  That was a bad move IMO.  I’m don’t know what all went into that from a cap allocation standpoint.  But giving up their elite pass catcher has proven obviously harmful to their squad.  AJ brown is the exact type of impact player that I think is necessary for championship contention here in the 20s.  KC had to let Hill go but they still had a ++ pass catcher in Kelce.  

TN won division titles in a very bad division and they haven’t won a playoff game since their run when they squeaked into the playoffs.   That’s the only example tha I can think of in the recent past of a running back oriented team doing anything in the post .  That’s all I’m saying .  It doesn’t seem the way to build contenders. 

I dont think thats the Colts model honestly.

Thats just what has worked for us when weve had success.

We have had a good run blocking line and Johnathan Taylor. So we have been running the ball because we dont have a top flight QB and its probably our best shot at winning games right now.

I dont believe for one second that Chris Ballard doesnt know how important passing the ball is. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

I dont think thats the Colts model honestly.

Thats just what has worked for us when weve had success.

We have had a good run blocking line and Johnathan Taylor. So we have been running the ball because we dont have a top flight QB and its probably our best shot at winning games right now.

I dont believe for one second that Chris Ballard doesnt know how important passing the ball is. 

It doesn’t ultimately matter how we got to this point I think you’d agree.  But we are where we are.  

Ballard hit in this team with Gilmore.  Took a chance on an older recently injury prone player and it helped a lot IMo.  That was a risk and it worked.  This dude was a star.  Now personally I think they should trade him and I’d guess they think that too since he’s relatively cheap and we are almost certainly gonna struggle next year.  

Yannick on the other hand I didn’t like.  He’s just not an everydown NFL DE.  He’s really bad in this role.  If he was a situational pass rusher he’d be valuable but as a full timer he’s bad.

I actually really like Paye because  I value an edge setter big time.  But I don’t ever him as a dominating sacker of the QB.  But I’m sure you’d agree we’d have been a lot better off filling the LT need with Darrisaw.  He’s already a superstar in year two.  I think Ballard should be rightly criticized for this.  

man I’m not always looking for anything.  I try ,  try now not necessarily am I always successful, but I try to go where the evidence leads in life and the evidence for this team leads me to a pretty negative viewpoint.  

I first joined like a month before Luck quit.  I was very excited and optimistic about the team and then he quit and I was pretty sure JB was going to be inadequate.

I was skeptical of Rivers but then became a big fan after really disliking him as a SD jerk.  I really wanted him back.

I was skeptical of Wentz, but he did alright despite some bone headed plays and I think it’s pretty clear that the org scapegoated him.  He was not liability over all but an asset and this teams issues were way deeper than Cw.  

when we signed Ryan I looked at the steady drop in production and the relatively slow TTt for his career and was not surprised he was in good here because the line was pretty clearly going to be bad with a journeyman lt.

anyway dude I try to follow the evidence and I change when it changes or when I perceive it changes.

9 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Yes. The reasons were because he was a 21 year-old rookie, who was a year removed from playing…and then he got hurt early in Week 2 the following season. 

The reasons were because he only had 1 year of football at a D3 school and never threw for 250 yards a game in his college football career.  He was a ridiculous reach at the #3 pick.  He had no business being drafted over Fields & Jones.  

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

The reasons were because he only had 1 year of football at a D3 school and never threw for 250 yards a game in his college football career.  He was a ridiculous reach at the #3 pick.  He had no business being drafted over Fields & Jones.  

He took off the COVID year, right? He had a monster year before that at NDSU. Better than Wentz, who went #2 overall. 

And he has all the tools. Might have been a reach, but I would gladly take a huge discount at this point. 

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

It doesn’t ultimately matter how we got to this point I think you’d agree.  But we are where we are.  

Ballard hit in this team with Gilmore.  Took a chance on an older recently injury prone player and it helped a lot IMo.  That was a risk and it worked.  This dude was a star.  Now personally I think they should trade him and I’d guess they think that too since he’s relatively cheap and we are almost certainly gonna struggle next year.  

Yannick on the other hand I didn’t like.  He’s just not an everydown NFL DE.  He’s really bad in this role.  If he was a situational pass rusher he’d be valuable but as a full timer he’s bad.

I actually really like Paye because  I value an edge setter big time.  But I don’t ever him as a dominating sacker of the QB.  But I’m sure you’d agree we’d have been a lot better off filling the LT need with Darrisaw.  He’s already a superstar in year two.  I think Ballard should be rightly criticized for this.  

man I’m not always looking for anything.  I try ,  try now not necessarily am I always successful, but I try to go where the evidence leads in life and the evidence for this team leads me to a pretty negative viewpoint.  

I first joined like a month before Luck quit.  I was very excited and optimistic about the team and then he quit and I was pretty sure JB was going to be inadequate.

I was skeptical of Rivers but then became a big fan after really disliking him as a SD jerk.  I really wanted him back.

I was skeptical of Wentz, but he did alright despite some bone headed plays and I think it’s pretty clear that the org scapegoated him.  He was not liability over all but an asset and this teams issues were way deeper than Cw.  

when we signed Ryan I looked at the steady drop in production and the relatively slow TTt for his career and was not surprised he was in good here because the line was pretty clearly going to be bad with a journeyman lt.

anyway dude I try to follow the evidence and I change when it changes or when I perceive it changes.

Idk I didnt mind what they did at the time and I like the guys we have right now at those positions. I think Raimann has a chance to be a really good and I am much higher on Kwity Paye than you are. He is outstanding against the run and is gonna be a double digit sack guy as well.

I wasn't a big fan of Darrisaw going into that draft If I am being honest. He has probably played better than I thought he would.

Just now, shasta519 said:

He took off the COVID year, right? He had a monster year before that at NDSU. Better than Wentz, who went #2 overall. 

And he has all the tools. Might have been a reach, but I would gladly take a huge discount at this point. 

Yeah but that level of competition is pretty low.

4 hours ago, Nickster said:

And I think that is why we stink.  

I think what you are saying is that it's circumstantial that our best players are in positions that the league values less, not intentional.  But then he still seems to value size and straight line speed over the less obviuos wiggle or I think I 've seen you term it twitchy talent at pass catcher.   

I don't think that's why we stink. I think we stink because QB and OL were awful, and shortcomings with the coaching staff caught up to us. I would agree that without better production at WR and Edge, we'll probably be behind the best teams in the league.

As for traits among skill guys, I think Campbell and Hines are the guys who were supposed to add the wiggle and twitch to make plays after the catch. Either way, I think our limitations at QB and the decisions made with the game planning have undermined production in the passing game.

And yeah, better drafting and development from 2019-2021 would have helped also. I just don't agree that the problem is with positional focus or value, especially over the last 3-4 years when the QB position has been in the air.

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

He tecook off the COVID year, right? He had a monster year before that at NDSU. Better than Wentz, who went #2 overall. 

Except he is missing  one important tool. He cannot read a defence to save his life. Kind of important at the qb position.

On 1/25/2023 at 6:48 PM, Superman said:

I don't think that's why we stink. I think we stink because QB and OL were awful, and shortcomings with the coaching staff caught up to us. I would agree that without better production at WR and Edge, we'll probably be behind the best teams in the league.

As for traits among skill guys, I think Campbell and Hines are the guys who were supposed to add the wiggle and twitch to make plays after the catch. Either way, I think our limitations at QB and the decisions made with the game planning have undermined production in the passing game.

And yeah, better drafting and development from 2019-2021 would have helped also. I just don't agree that the problem is with positional focus or value, especially over the last 3-4 years when the QB position has been in the air.

It's not that we were awful, it's why we were awful. Fans look for one, two, or a few people to blame. The answer is too complex. Basically it was a team failure - what we in the biz call a network cascade failure. Study that, and perhaps the 'why' will become evident.

Outside of QB the Colts are a top third roster.  So no they are not far away from the top teams.  Problem is they can still screw up the head coach hire which has the potential to kill your chances just like the QB position.

But all things considered there is room for them to hit on a QB and build this year into a wildcard level type team.  To do that they'll require a bridge QB running the offense just in case the rook isn't ready.  That ensures he will have time to learn the offense properly and have a grasp of things and a real clue when he gets his first start.

So by the time the draft rolls around we should know who our signal caller is and then behind him they'll add the QB, hopefully with that top pick.  I'd also like to see a receiver added to our current options.  Our threat of weapons is dangerously thin, it would look a ton better with one good addition.

Only two QBs I like up there at 4 overall are Levis and Stroud, in that order.  Young is going to drop from where they have him now.  The other three players I like at 4 overall are Will Anderson, who is a legit top rusher you take in that range, the DT Carter who may or may not be completely dominant in the NFL, or the WR Smith, who is polished and will end up somewhere from very good to a beast in the NFL.  Johnston btw is the freak WR who will get all the hype but I don't like him that high.

Re: the WRs they will be very dependent on 40 time too, so if Smith tanks his 40 all bets are off and only way I'd go wideout (which I think could transform our offense) at that point would be with a move down.

Good thing is I think there are 4 legitimate blue-chips at the top of this draft.  Levis, Stroud, Anderson, and Carter.  So real good chance we're gonna get an impact player.  What worries me is do we take Young when he slides due to his size.  But hopefully one of the top two will take him, I doubt it but who knows.  Teams get stupid with QBs as the need is overpowering when you don't have one.

Archived