Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Just one more week…

indyagent17

1 minute ago, Indyfan4life said:

Iowa produces some big boys on defense. I’m not saying Levis is 100% responsible for every hit and sack he has taken. I’m saying Levis panics the moment any type of pressure is around him and struggles to improvise. There’s been more times than I can count seeing him scramble around, or even attempt to scramble instead of stepping up and making a throw. He tries to pull some Seattle Wilson movements and falls apart. Levis is best able to stand in a clean pocket and make throws, and even then he under/overs a lot. 

Luck tried to hang in the pocket a lot and make the throw, which got him killed. 

This Levis=Allen stuff is so far off base, it’s hilarious. 

To be clear, I'm no big fan of Levis.  I just thought that some of your criteria was a little suspect.  I think he's got kind of a Carson Wentz decision making and athleticism (less athletic than he thinks he is)  in a 6'3" Sam Darnold body.  Just my simple description.

The reputation on Stroud is that he crumbles under pressure.  Crumbles is an interesting word.  He made good plays on the move, but he seem to shy away from contact more than most QBs, IMO.  Not a good mindset when facing NFL pass rushers.

And Bryce Young is just too small.

I hope I'm wrong about whichever one Irsay picks.

Just now, cdgacoltsfan said:

In August, I couldn't wait till the opening game. 3 weeks after the opener, I couldn't wait till the season was over.

When we were 3-2-1 I was still ok because I knew our division was weak. We looked good against the Jags to get to 3-2-1. After we got swept by the Titans to fall to 3-3-1 and then benching Matt for Sam, I seen the writing on the wall at that point.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

To be clear, I'm no big fan of Levis.  I just thought that some of your criteria was a little suspect.  I think he's got kind of a Carson Wentz decision making and athleticism (less athletic than he thinks he is)  in a 6'3" Sam Darnold body.  Just my simple description.

The reputation on Stroud is that he crumbles under pressure.  Crumbles is an interesting word.  He made good plays on the move, but he seem to shy away from contact more than most QBs, IMO.  Not a good mindset when facing NFL pass rushers.

Obviously whoever we take I’m going to support. I just personally prefer Stroud over anyone else. I want a QB that can move around and throw guys open. I’d love to see us have a guy that can move and do what Mahomes does. 

4 hours ago, Myles said:

I see flaws in both of them but also see some great things in both of them.  I think it is a crapshoot.  Getting a great QB in the top 5-6 of the NFL drafts is not a sure thing.  In 2021 the Jets drafted Zach Wilson with the #2 pick and the 49rs drafted Trey Lance with the #3 pick and both of them are no longer starting for the team.  

it usually takes a few years for a rookie to be starter material, growing pains like we did with peyton

9 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Obviously whoever we take I’m going to support. I just personally prefer Stroud over anyone else. I want a QB that can move around and throw guys open. I’d love to see us have a guy that can move and do what Mahomes does. 

Mahomes has exceptional body control, agility, and balance; and can throw from many angles.   Those are things that are hard to measure.  You have see it.  His size and linear speed are really pretty average.

Stroud has none of that, and knows it.  Levis has none of that, but thinks he does.   Young is probably the closest to Mahommes.  

And by that measure, Max Duggan is probably right behind Young more than the other two.

15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

i hope irsay does the picking instead of ballard

Its definitely weird, you look forward to the season so much and its been such a dumpster fire ive been wanting it to end for about a month now. 

Im still invested in the playoffs. AFC is crazy strong. So are the Eagles and 49ers. 

At this point I for sure don't trust Ballard to get it right and fix things, and don't think I trust Irsay either. Im prepared for mediocrity-bad football for some time lol. Never know a QB can change everything.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

A concern I see with Stroud is that he does not seem to be very physical compared to others.  Seems a little afraid to take contact and tends to shield himself rather than deliver or stand tall.  I know its smart for a QB to live another day, but it makes me wonder if he has a little more fear than most, which could be a real problem when dealing with NFL pass rushes and wanting to scramble to make plays.  Some of the other QBs...well all them actually,...seem a little more willing to mix it up even when they don't have the size Stroud does.  Maybe they just have dumb courage and Stroud doesn't.  Something to think about.

Neither did Drew Brees

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Neither did Drew Brees

And that's fine.  I think we should expect Stroud to be a pocket passer.  The idea of needing a QB to be a dual threat or an improvisor from out of the pocket is not consistent with Stroud, IMO.  He can do it sometimes, but like Brees, I don't see it being a big part of his game like many here want it to be. 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

The question is… can we be patient like we were with Peyton?

If we are going to wait on QB success, then start with a QB that has some skills or attributes that can't be coached.   Like PM, Tanner McKee is 6'6" 230 and a strong accurate arm and is reportedly intelligent. 

3 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

May be a dumb question, but can we go ahead and draft Arch Manning this year in order to have his draft rights and use our other picks to draft players at positions of need for 2023, then he plays 1 year at Texas and comes in as our QB for 2024?

Not dumb, but I don't know the rules.  I think that's what Red Auerbach with the Boston Celtics did when he drafted the rights to Larry Bird before Bird was eligible.  I don't know if the NFL allows that sort of thing, but if they did, we'd probably have to wait until Arch was a junior even though he might not declare for the draft then,

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Not dumb, but I don't know the rules.  I think that's what Red Auerbach with the Boston Celtics did when he drafted the rights to Larry Bird before Bird was eligible.  I don't know if the NFL allows that sort of thing, but if they did, we'd probably have to wait until Arch was a junior even though he might not declare for the draft then,

I do recall the Larry Bird situation and that obviously worked out.  True he may play at least 3 years before declaring, but I'm just hoping we see another Manning on the field in a Colts uniform.

16 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

May be a dumb question, but can we go ahead and draft Arch Manning this year in order to have his draft rights and use our other picks to draft players at positions of need for 2023, then he plays 1 year at Texas and comes in as our QB for 2024?

A player has to be out of high school for 3 years.  Then they also had to have completed their college eligibility. Exactly what that details is unclear to me. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

And that's fine.  I think we should expect Stroud to be a pocket passer.  The idea of needing a QB to be a dual threat or an improvisor from out of the pocket is not consistent with Stroud, IMO.  He can do it sometimes, but like Brees, I don't see it being a big part of his game like many here want it to be. 

If we are going to wait on QB success, then start with a QB that has some skills or attributes that can't be coached.   Like PM, Tanner McKee is 6'6" 230 and a strong accurate arm and is reportedly intelligent. 

I honestly don’t think any of these QBs in this draft will be starters after 3 years. I get the same feeling about this class as 2013s. Not saying it can’t happen, just saying I’m not seeing it.

1 hour ago, Barry Sears said:

No. The rules don’t allow this, both nFL and NCAA block that

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

A player has to be out of high school for 3 years.  Then they also had to have completed their college eligibility. Exactly what that details is unclear to me. 

Yep. Plus they have to declare for the draft to enter the draft pool.

bottom line, it’s not possible. 

35 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I honestly don’t think any of these QBs in this draft will be starters after 3 years. I get the same feeling about this class as 2013s. Not saying it can’t happen, just saying I’m not seeing it.

Any QB taken in the draft is a gamble.  With that said, GMs have to take a swing. History has shown us that a starting QB can come out and surprise us.

There is also going to be quite a few available QBs on the market.  Sad thing is, if a GM doesn't hit on a gamble he is labeled bad at his job. It goes with the territory. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Any QB taken in the draft is a gamble.  With that said, GMs have to take a swing. History has shown us that a starting QB can come out and surprise us.

There is also going to be quite a few available QBs on the market.  Sad thing is, if a GM doesn't hit on a gamble he is labeled bad at his job. It goes with the territory. 

Oh I agree, a swing has to be taken. It’s just a bad pitch to swing at

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

I think it's pick your poison.

Not in love with any of these guys.  But I also believe we must take one of them.

So....

I'll be happy if we take any of the top 3.  And run with him.

14 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I think it's pick your poison.

Not in love with any of these guys.  But I also believe we must take one of them.

So....

I'll be happy if we take any of the top 3.  And run with him.

I'm noticing the problem with the Colts strategy was that while they got the vet QB on what was basically a two-year commitment, they never followed it up with a proper investment in a future QB.  They could have even traded for a QB like Tyler Huntley...slightly overpaying of course.

Before they reach for a QB because they have too, I'd rather see then execute the "bridge to future" strategy correctly like they have yet to do.  

If the QB will be a reach, I'd just as soon trade back or get an elite player (at an impactful position) and do the vet signing again...Mariota?....and then draft a real development QB like Tanner McKee, Hendon Hooker, Max Duggen, Jaren Hall, Spencer Rattle...its a pretty deep class for "not top 3" QBs.   Or trade for a QB on someone else's roster stuck behind their franchise QB.

I have to say as a fan, based on expectations this is the worse season I have ever been a part of and I am going back to 1984. Expectation is the key word, like in 1995 (Harbaugh) and 2012 (Luck rookie season) nobody expected us to do anything and we were really good. We exceeded expectations by a mile in those seasons. 2006 with Peyton, we did what we were supposed to do, got that trophy. 

On 1/4/2023 at 7:12 AM, tfunky14 said:

I hope not, Levis is better

Will Levis is very unimpressive to me. He had several sub par games where he barely passed for over 100 yards. One of those was against Vandy! Lol His stats were not elite this season.  I don’t get the hype train behind him at all. I think it would be a huge mistake if the Colts drafted him. I think scouts are falling in love with the prototype of the type or style of QB they want rather than the QB he actually is. Similar to what happened with Trubisky out of UNC. 

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have to say as a fan, based on expectations this is the worse season I have ever been a part of and I am going back to 1984. Expectation is the key word, like in 1995 (Harbaugh) and 2012 (Luck rookie season) nobody expected us to do anything and we were really good. We exceeded expectations by a mile in those seasons. 2006 with Peyton, we did what we were supposed to do, got that trophy. 

Exactly. This was my least enjoyable season as a long time fan of this franchise. It is so because we had actual expectations and this team fell embarrassingly short of them. Still love them but they truly embarrassed the fan base this season with what they put out in the field…specifically on offense. Something is very wrong…organizationally and culturally. 

8 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Exactly. This was my least enjoyable season as a long time fan of this franchise. It is so because we had actual expectations and this team fell embarrassingly short of them. Still love them but they truly embarrassed the fan base this season with what they put out in the field…specifically on offense. Something is very wrong…organizationally and culturally. 

Yeah, If you look back at my history I am really good at predicting our before season record. I usually have a great feel for what is going to happen, this season predictions made me look like a fool. I never seen this coming and I have no idea what next season is going to bring because I see a lot of changes coming. Been a fan since 1984 and I usually know whether we will be good or bad before the season, as of now this franchise has me puzzled.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, If you look back at my history I am really good at predicting our before season record. I usually have a great feel for what is going to happen, this season predictions made me look like a fool. I never seen this coming and I have no idea what next season is going to bring because I see a lot of changes coming. Been a fan since 1984 and I usually know whether we will be good or bad before the season, as of now this franchise has me puzzled.

Yes and you are also one of the more optimistic fans who still balances it by being realistic. Sadly…I think it may take several years for the Colts to get back on track…even if they draft the right guy at QB.  In my opinion I think the defense is largely fine but their window is closing.  So we will have to still address. I think the offense needs to be reconstructed. Tear down and rebuild the overpaid offensive line. Let some receivers walk and start over and allocate the money resources on offense correctly to add more offensive firepower at skill positions. Build around Pierce and add a true #1 caliber player opposite of him. We should trade off our offensive assets (Nelson, JT, Pittman, R. Kelly, B. Smith) if we can.

Let B. Raisman develop and rebuild Oline around him using draft picks. No more 1st rounders spent here. 2nd and 3rd round investments and use free agency to augment where needed and to build quality depth. 

We don’t have to do it all in one offseason. Over the next 2-3 years or so. 

24 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Yes and you are also one of the more optimistic fans who still balances it by being realistic. Sadly…I think it may take several years for the Colts to get back on track…even if they draft the right guy at QB.  In my opinion I think the defense is largely fine but their window is closing.  So we will have to still address. I think the offense needs to be reconstructed. Tear down and rebuild the overpaid offensive line. Let some receivers walk and start over and allocate the money resources on offense correctly to add more offensive firepower at skill positions. Build around Pierce and add a true #1 caliber player opposite of him. We should trade off our offensive assets (Nelson, JT, Pittman, R. Kelly, B. Smith) if we can.

Let B. Raisman develop and rebuild Oline around him using draft picks. No more 1st rounders spent here. 2nd and 3rd round investments and use free agency to augment where needed and to build quality depth. 

We don’t have to do it all in one offseason. Over the next 2-3 years or so. 

I have a feeling we will be bad next year too but will get our QB and a great draft pick next season as well. I would love to land Stroud and then Harrison, + Taylor would still be in his prime. Patience is going to be needed around here going into 2023 because I can see another 4 or 5 win season coming before the smoke clears. I hope somehow we can get Harbaugh to come here, we can be good again in 2024. This upcoming season in 2023 may be bad so I am ready.

Archived