Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 Indy Needs, Draft Capital Rank, FAs, etc..

EastStreet

Current Draft Capital (ranked #13) -  9, 41, 82, 111, 145, 185, 207, 227

Team Needs

• Top 5 (average from below)
    1. QB (5 votes)
    2. OT (4 votes)
    3. (Tie) WR, CB, Edge (3 votes)
  • CBS
    • Primary - QB, OT, CB, WR, EDGE, TE
    • Note - TE?
  • NFL.com
    • Primary - QB, WR, EDGE
    • Note: No OL???
  • PFF
    • Primary - QB, OT, OG
  • NFL Mock Draft Database
    • Primary - QB, OT, CB, WR, Edge, iOL, SAF
    • Secondary - TE, DL, LB, RB, P, K, LS
  • Draft Network
    • Primary - QB, WR, OT, CB, SAF
    • Secondary - iOL, EDGE, LB
    • Ancillary - RB, TE, IDL

Roster Notes

• Starting Offensive FAs (UFA)
    • WR Campbell
  • Starting Defensive FAs (UFA)
    • EDGE Ngakoue
    • LB Okereke
    • SAF McLeod
  • Rotational/Depth Offensive FAs (UFA)
    • WR Dulin
    • OT D Kelly
    • RB Jackson
  • Rotational/Depth Defensive FAs (UFA)
    • LB Speed
    • CB Facyson
    • DE/3T Lewis
    • EDGE/DE Odenigbo
  • Remaining UFA FAs
    • D - DE Banogu,  DT Cowart, SAF Watts, CB Brown
    • ST - P Haak, K McLaughlin
  • RFAs - DE Kareem
  • ERFAs - DT Williams, RB Jackson

General

• General Notes on O
    • Obvious pain points - QB, LG Fries
    • Not horrible, but meh - OC R Kelly, HB/TE Granson
    • Not ready, but Improving/developing - LT Raimann, WR Pierce, TE Woods
    • Not sure, but should be decent or good - TE Ogletree
  • General Notes on D
    • Not horrible, but meh - FS Blackmon. NB Moore, LB Franklin, CB Facyson
    • Big Question - Leonard's health... 

The more I look, it's not that bad.

Of course we need to hit on QB, but aside of that, we don't need a "blow it all" mentality. 

Some comments on the top 5 needs above (relevant to the 2023 Big Board)....

PFF Big Board (for our top 2 needs) with comments/opinion, ++

• QB - IMO, don't move up. Take Stroud if there at 9ish. If not, take Richardson/Hooker in the 2nd or 3rd.
    • 1 Young (AL) - good but too short (probably sub 6 ft)
    • 3 Levis (KY) - decent, but inconsistent
    • 11 Stroud (OSU) - #3 QB from PFF, but #1 QB in some reviews. 6-3, mobile, and the best stats IMO. 66%, 3300+, 37/6 TD/INT ratio
    • 18 McKee (Stanford) - 6-6 and slow, but strong arm
    • 28 Richardson (FL) - 6-4 and fast, great highs, and bad lows... 
  • OT - my guess we don't draft an early round LT. We'll develop Raimann, and pick up a vet as insurance 
    • #6 Skoronski (NW) - good, but doubt we'd move up, and doubt we'll take a OT in the 1st round.
    • #17 Johnson (OSU) - good, but might end up an OG. He played G at OSU before moving to LT.
    • #23 Jones (UGA) - good, but probably a better OG candidate
    • #29 Harrison (OU) - quick and fast, but not strong/physical. Likely a RT
  • WR - with Boutte returning LSU, likely will only be 3 WRs in the 1R. I haven't done a deep dive, but meh WR class IMO. So guessing folks will need to reach. In short, highly doubt take a WR in the 1R.. or 2R... I do a few smaller/speed WRs in the mid rounds, but nothing I'd grab early.
  • CB - I know that CB is a top 5 need per 3 services, but just don't see it... that is unless we dump/trade Moore. The CB class is pretty deep this year. And we wouldn't take a NB in the 1R regardless. You can find NBs in 2nd and 3rd rounds. Gilmore and Rodgers are under contract in 23. Facyson is OK as depth. And we have some youth might be OK at NB (Rodgers might be a great NB too). I'd be open to a 2-4R CBs though... 4-5 1R CBs, 6 with 2R grades, couple more in 3R grades. And several mid round guys that might be good. And several late round guys that could be at minimum ST studs, that might be decent depth. 
  • Edge - deep class. 7-8 with 1R grades. Another 6-7 with 2R grades. I have no clue what we're going to do with LEO. I don't like Ngakoue's run D, but he's doing fine vs the pass. Leads the team in both sacks (8.5) and pressures (24). That's #14 in the NFL (sacks) and #17 in pressures. Re-signing him likely won't super high. You could move Paye to LEO. Or you could grab an Edge/LEO type in the 2R.

It’s all down to the offensive line. No QB’s thrive behind our line nor does our running game. Ballard needs to figure out if this is mental, physical, foundational or something else. This has been discussed and we are left wondering what happened. Does Ballard give this one more year with the same five or does he make changes we keep saying every year this is his biggest draft. This is why I am truly not sure if we can draft a quarterback early if we have to use our first round pick on a lineman I certainly would hope we can pick one up in free agency. Ballard has to open up the checkbook. 

4 hours ago, Matabix said:

I see us letting Okereke go and resigning Speed. I really like Okereke, but it's a cap move.

IDK. I think it might depend on Leonard. Oke had a pretty good year. Wonder his $$ value is. Wouldn't spend a ton, but would like to keep him. 

Regardless, I want to see more Speed. Looks good in limited minutes. 

27 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

It’s all down to the offensive line. No QB’s thrive behind our line nor does our running game. Ballard needs to figure out if this is mental, physical, foundational or something else. This has been discussed and we are left wondering what happened. Does Ballard give this one more year with the same five or does he make changes we keep saying every year this is his biggest draft. This is why I am truly not sure if we can draft a quarterback early if we have to use our first round pick on a lineman I certainly would hope we can pick one up in free agency. Ballard has to open up the checkbook. 

OL situation/plan will be interesting. Lots of questions.. 

LT - Improving and more consistent since Saturday. Grade is now better than Fisher's last year.... Do you role the dice, and stay with development path with Raimann (and just add vet/insurance), or draft early rounds... 

LG - Q hasn't been horrible, but not elite. Is the back an issue?

C - inconsistent, and not playing up to contract $$... Give snaps to Pinter in the final 4 years to see what we have?

RG - IMO Fries' ceiling is maxed, and we can't roll the dice or be patient. 

RT - Smith had some stinkers this year. Better, and more consistent since Saturday. 

I think we need a QB badly which is no small task.

We need to fix the Oline, especially the contract problems associated with it. Maybe draft a LT, move Raimann to RT and smith inside to G. Kelly needs to go and Nelsons contract needs reworking. 

We need another weapon or 2. The best teams in the league have at least one very explosive wide out or tight end (KC). Pittman is not on the same level as the Hills, Chases  Jeffersons, Kelces, Diggs, Browns of the world. Then after Pitam were mediocre to bad. 

We need probably 2 corners, a Kenny Moore replacement and Gilmore is not getting any younger. 

We need pash rush. This has been one of Ballards biggest screw ups of his tenure. How many high draft picks has he invested. We are better this year then we have been in previous years but still middle of the pack. Yannick is a 1 year rental who can get there but is atrocious against the run. He probably moves on for the simple fact that he wants to play for a good team. Buckner is good but only 5.5 sacks. Its not enough. Kwity is the only draft pick that has promise. But thats "potential", not results. 

So I dont know, I dont think its a blow it all up situation but its pretty close. IMO there is a lot to fix and the teams play shows it. I also think Ballard deserves firing for this mess he has created. Mainly the failure at QB, the failure at pass rush. The failure of the Oline while being paid the highest. Handing out massive contracts to a G and a LB IMO this amounts to losing his job. Gms have been fired for much less.

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

IDK. I think it might depend on Leonard. Oke had a pretty good year. Wonder his $$ value is. Wouldn't spend a ton, but would like to keep him. 

Regardless, I want to see more Speed. Looks good in limited minutes. 

I want to see more Speed also. Right now we only see him when offense is in heavy packages. Which would be the same with Okereke gone and Leonard back.

I don't think Richardson is there in the second. I doubt he gets past pick 12. I think that becomes more clear after the Senior Bowl/Combine around February/Marc.

If Richardson can correct a few mechanical issues which hinders his accuracy, he has All-World potential. Some team is going to go for that potential, and I'd be okay if the Colts went for it. This video goes into pretty good detail into his elite pocket maneuverability along with having pretty good vision, especially in tandem of being a huge run threat himself on every single play. Against top SEC teams too.

I'd go with him or Stroud. Young is good too but he's most likely going first. Levis might work out, but if we are going of pure potential, Richardson easily outclasses him. Richardson is very young at 21 as well and only had one full time season as a college QB. 

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think this year's draft class is actually really good in terms of depth. No one QB is perfect, but I can see 4-5 of them being really good QBs going forward. I think these guys are going to bring in a strong wave to the new age of mobile QBs and NFL systems built around that play style (not necessarily only run first QBs, but QBs with elite ability to extend plays and escape pressure). I kind of hope the new HC/OC is someone whose been able to develop that kind of QB to go with a hopefully revamped OL and JT. We will see though.

On 12/11/2022 at 1:51 PM, indyagent17 said:

ballard will want a guard in the first or trade down for 2 six rounders

On 12/10/2022 at 10:53 PM, EastStreet said:

Of course we need to hit on QB, but aside of that, we don't need a "blow it all" mentality. 

• QB - IMO, don't move up. Take Stroud if there at 9ish. If not, take Richardson/Hooker in the 2nd or 3rd.
    • 11 Stroud (OSU) - #3 QB from PFF, but #1 QB in some reviews. 6-3, mobile, and the best stats IMO. 66%, 3300+, 37/6 TD/INT ratio
  • OT - my guess we don't draft an early round LT. We'll develop Raimann, and pick up a vet as insurance 
    • #6 Skoronski (NW) - good, but doubt we'd move up, and doubt we'll take a OT in the 1st round.
    • #17 Johnson (OSU) - good, but might end up an OG. He played G at OSU before moving to LT.
  • WR - with Boutte returning LSU, likely will only be 3 WRs in the 1R. I haven't done a deep dive, but meh WR class IMO. So guessing folks will need to reach. In short, highly doubt take a WR in the 1R.. or 2R... I do a few smaller/speed WRs in the mid rounds, but nothing I'd grab early.
  • CB - I know that CB is a top 5 need per 3 services, but just don't see it... that is unless we dump/trade Moore. The CB class is pretty deep this year. And we wouldn't take a NB in the 1R regardless. You can find NBs in 2nd and 3rd rounds. Gilmore and Rodgers are under contract in 23. Facyson is OK as depth. And we have some youth might be OK at NB (Rodgers might be a great NB too). I'd be open to a 2-4R CBs though... 4-5 1R CBs, 6 with 2R grades, couple more in 3R grades. And several mid round guys that might be good. And several late round guys that could be at minimum ST studs, that might be decent depth. 
  • Edge - deep class. 7-8 with 1R grades. Another 6-7 with 2R grades. I have no clue what we're going to do with LEO. I don't like Ngakoue's run D, but he's doing fine vs the pass. Leads the team in both sacks (8.5) and pressures (24). That's #14 in the NFL (sacks) and #17 in pressures. Re-signing him likely won't super high. You could move Paye to LEO. Or you could grab an Edge/LEO type in the 2R.

U know what is funny but when I look atSan Fran and I am just blown away by the amount of elite players they have. It's kind of 

On 12/11/2022 at 2:28 PM, EastStreet said:

OL situation/plan will be interesting. Lots of questions.. 

LT - Improving and more consistent since Saturday. Grade is now better than Fisher's last year.... Do you role the dice, and stay with development path with Raimann (and just add vet/insurance), or draft early rounds... 

LG - Q hasn't been horrible, but not elite. Is the back an issue?

C - inconsistent, and not playing up to contract $$... Give snaps to Pinter in the final 4 years to see what we have?

RG - IMO Fries' ceiling is maxed, and we can't roll the dice or be patient. 

RT - Smith had some stinkers this year. Better, and more consistent since Saturday. 

LT - I think you bet on Raimann's development and having a full off-season in an NFL S&C program. His biggest issue at the moment is strength and I think that'll come with time.

LG - Q, I think you hope he just gets back to form with another offseason removed from surgery.

C - Ryan Kelly has really fallen off and I'm not sure that he's worth keeping at his price. I'd like to see Pinter get some meaningful snaps the rest of the season.

RG - Fries definitely may be at his ceiling. He's not terrible, but he's not good either. I'd look to bring in competition via draft/FA (non-premium picks/contract).

RT - I think the biggest issue for Smith all season has been the man next to him and if we can improve the RG position, we'll see better play out of Smith.

23 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U know what is funny but when I look atSan Fran and I am just blown away by the amount of elite players they have. It's kind of 

The coaching is great, and roster is really nice. Not sure how long they will be able to keep the roster together. 

23 hours ago, Shive said:

LT - I think you bet on Raimann's development and having a full off-season in an NFL S&C program. His biggest issue at the moment is strength and I think that'll come with time.

Agree 100%. It's a gamble though. He really need 15-20lbs of muscle. Guessing the team will be watching the scale, and his bench and squat. 

If it works, it looks a genius move. If not, it will look like a super dumb more.. lol

LG - Q, I think you hope he just gets back to form with another offseason removed from surgery.

Let's hope so!

His contract gets better (for Indy) after 2023, but it would hurt a ton if he has issues next year. 

If Raimann hits next year, having a cheap LT would balance OL $$... 

C - Ryan Kelly has really fallen off and I'm not sure that he's worth keeping at his price. I'd like to see Pinter get some meaningful snaps the rest of the season.

Me too. If we're evaluating, makes sense. We know Pinter isn't a OG, so might as well take a look at C. And we know RK brings already. 

RG - Fries definitely may be at his ceiling. He's not terrible, but he's not good either. I'd look to bring in competition via draft/FA (non-premium picks/contract).

He makes Glow like an All Pro though. Might be not terrible, but close. I'm sure we can upgrade with moderate $$ without too much pain. 

RT - I think the biggest issue for Smith all season has been the man next to him and if we can improve the RG position, we'll see better play out of Smith.

Early this year, he was beat bad vs wide rushers. So while I agree Fries impacts him, but not vs wide rushers. He was getting boat raced and beat bad. He's settled down as the season matured. 

-----------------------------

Overall, unhappy with things with the OL the last couple years. Just weird stuff in terms of scheme. And even weirder stuff with TE and RB blocking. I wanted to puke every time they put Granson vs 1 on 1 to the DE. They did with JT too. I'm not taking about a simple chip. I'm talking straight up 1 on 1.. Ugly stuff. Haven't seen much of that stuff since Saturday. 

On 12/11/2022 at 5:37 PM, Matabix said:

I want to see more Speed also. Right now we only see him when offense is in heavy packages. Which would be the same with Okereke gone and Leonard back.

Just a bit worried about pass D. But his run D has been incredible while containing the edge. 

Wonder how he'd look with 20lb more lol.. 

On 12/12/2022 at 7:29 PM, Shive said:

Honestly I think Smith has been the Colts most consistent and best lineman the past couple of years.  

I think we need QB, C, RG and Edge. I would roll the dice with Raimann he is doing pretty good. 

I don't know what coaching was thinking by putting a RB directly on a DE, I get a beast TE but not a RB. I think most of our O-line issues are scheme related. 

I was looking at the 2023 Free Agent list the other day and I noticed that there are a lot of options at the QB and Offensive Line available. I would prefer to draft a QB in the first round since the Colts will likely be in the top 10. As some people have stated on this forum, there is nothing keeping us from getting a QB in both the draft and free agency assuming we don't keep any of the current QB's on our roster. I would guess that we would keep at least Ehlinger. Will Ballard or a new GM spend the necessary FA money to fix the O-line issues?

On 12/10/2022 at 10:53 PM, EastStreet said:

I stay and take DE. I am not a fan at all of this qb class and i think when it is all said and done before the draft, they will rank it as a poor one. I dont like Stroud at all and that is because of  some of the games where he looked totally lost and I have little faith in Ohio qbs. The qb does one read and then runs. Just dont think they translate well to the NFL. I hope Rainmann takes off and he looks like he is improving but this team still needs that elite rush end cause Paye is not it. He is a good compliment but not elite. I think 2024 is the year to make a run at a qb.

I think it starts with OL since QB is a given. You don’t have a starting caliber RG on the roster. I don’t think Pinter or Fries will be any better with an off-season of work to be honest. Center is an issue as well. I think you move on from Kelly and draft someone. Rainman can get another season at LT and you make your decision in 2024. He’s shown improvement.

I won’t talk about QB because it’s beating a dead horse, but WR and CB are big needs as well. I’m honestly not sold on Pittman as a 1 anymore. He’s not in the same mold as Jefferson, Evans, Chase, Diggs, Hill, etc…I feel the same for Pierce. It’s like we have two number 2 receivers and not true number 1.

CB is the other position after QB that has been a carousel. Lots of FA guys on short deals. Gilmore is a short term fix. I think they need to look at a guy who can play on the outside and be the number one. Maybe see what’s in FA.

Ballard has stated he will not reach for a QB just to take one.  I could see LT or DE if not.

I hope it is a QB, of course, because that would mean they value the one they are taking

Raiman has been starting as a rookie at LT.  Glenn didn't do that but Meadows did.  This was because of the holdout initially but Glenn did not take over until the following season.  My point being if Raiman is starting now that is rare for a rookie and i take it that he has promise.  

If a stud pass rusher is there, i wouldn't hate that either.   This is supposed to be a deep draft for them.  i'm not sure how elite the top of that field is though.

Should be a fun offseason.

59 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Ballard has stated he will not reach for a QB just to take one.  I could see LT or DE if not.

I hope it is a QB, of course, because that would mean they value the one they are taking

Raiman has been starting as a rookie at LT.  Glenn didn't do that but Meadows did.  This was because of the holdout initially but Glenn did not take over until the following season.  My point being if Raiman is starting now that is rare for a rookie and i take it that he has promise.  

If a stud pass rusher is there, i wouldn't hate that either.   This is supposed to be a deep draft for them.  i'm not sure how elite the top of that field is though.

I actually took Texans are in a poor spot as I don't think any  of these qbs  are worthy of a top 10 pic let alone number one overall    

14 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I actually took Texans are in a poor spot as I don't think any  of these qbs  are worthy of a top 10 pic let alone number one overall    

I haven't looked into any of them yet but what the size of Young would put me way off of him.  How can a 190 lb person sustain hits from 300lbers?

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

will be the same with ballard here

Archived