Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

4-6-1 what’s next?

runthepost

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right now, Pitt is next. We either need to make a serious run at the WC or just tank. We really don’t want to be an 8-8-1 team at the end of the year and have to hope that someone like Stroud or Young magically falls to us. 

45 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am really impressed with Alec pierce comments from after the game. That kid has a lot of leadership abilities. Same with Parris. I don’t get the same vocal leadership from Pittman.

Pierce has always been high character. I’ve followed him since his time at Cincy, he could be one of the best downfield 50-50 guys in the league if we had a QB that could push the ball downfield. He has excellent hands and great leadership

19 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

Right now, Pitt is next. We either need to make a serious run at the WC or just tank. We really don’t want to be an 8-8-1 team at the end of the year and have to hope that someone like Stroud or Young magically falls to us. 

Pierce has always been high character. I’ve followed him since his time at Cincy, he could be one of the best downfield 50-50 guys in the league if we had a QB that could push the ball downfield. He has excellent hands and great leadership

Was he captain at cincy?

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am really impressed with Alec pierce comments from after the game. That kid has a lot of leadership abilities. Same with Parris. I don’t get the same vocal leadership from Pittman.

I think Pittman has demonstrated his commitment through his actions. He has spent considerable time in the offseason working on his craft and working out with Colt's QB's.

46 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think Saturday is going to be here in some capacity next season. Whether that be coach or GM or in some other capacity.

I agree. And I think that somewhere is in the FO. For a few reasons:

1. Not to get too much into it, but if they were to hire Saturday to be HC, the Rooney Rule critics would be even louder...not to mention the "boy's club" crowd. Not that Irsay should let that drive his decision-making, but moving Saturday to the FO keeps him in the org and allows them to hire an actual coaching staff.

2. While we might get an idea of how Saturday can lead a locker room, we have no real clue how well he can help develop a franchise QB. Or what his vision is for this team. And that's going to be the biggest priority going forward.

With Sam starting, we might have gotten a glimpse. But going back to Ryan just means Saturday is basically steering the same rudderless ship that Reich was. He might steer it better than Reich for ROS, but the point is to have a new direction. And for that, you would really want somebody with experience in the matter.

3. Saturday has Irsay's trust. Makes much more sense to have his office down the hall, than in the locker room. Though I admit I have no idea where Ballard's or Reich's offices are.

4. Saturday has been offered coaching jobs with IND prior to this...and turned them all down. Whatever Irsay offered him was too good to turn down. So I doubt that offer was to just come coach for a couple months and then maybe get the HC gig. 

12 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I agree. And I think that somewhere is in the FO. For a few reasons:

1. Not to get too much into it, but if they were to hire Saturday to be HC, the Rooney Rule critics would be even louder...not to mention the "boy's club" crowd. Not that Irsay should let that drive his decision-making, but moving Saturday to the FO keeps him in the org and allows them to hire an actual coaching staff.

2. While we might get an idea of how Saturday can lead a locker room, we have no real clue how well he can help develop a franchise QB. Or what his vision is for this team. And that's going to be the biggest priority going forward.

With Sam starting, we might have gotten a glimpse. But going back to Ryan just means Saturday is basically steering the same rudderless ship that Reich was. He might steer it better than Reich for ROS, but the point is to have a new direction. And for that, you would really want somebody with experience in the matter.

3. Saturday has Irsay's trust. Makes much more sense to have his office down the hall, than in the locker room. Though I admit I have no idea where Ballard's or Reich's offices are.

4. Saturday has been offered coaching jobs with IND prior to this...and turned them all down. Whatever Irsay offered him was too good to turn down. So I doubt that offer was to just come coach for a couple months and then maybe get the HC gig. 

The development of a QB would be up to assistant coaches.and who he hires. I don’t think Irsay cares about critics of Rooney rule as long as he goes through the process.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The development of a QB would be up to assistant coaches.and who he hires. I don’t think Irsay cares about critics of Rooney rule as long as he goes through the process.

And that's where Saturday's lack of coaching experience could hurt. Does he have the coaching connections to find great assistants? Has he been collecting a dossier of assistants for the past few years? Will the guys he wants even want to come to Indy...with a HC who has only been coaching in the NFL for a few months?

Saturday in the FO just seems a lot less complicated than Saturday as HC, UNLESS Ballard is bought in 100%. And then they basically hire a new OC, some offensive assts, draft a QB...and it's business as usual.

But I have never taken Ballard as a "yes" man.

Just now, shasta519 said:

And that's where Saturday's lack of coaching experience could hurt. Does he have the coaching connections to find great assistants? Has he been collecting a dossier of assistants for the past few years? Will the guys he wants even want to come to Indy...with a HC who has only been coaching in the NFL for a few months?

Saturday in the FO just seems a lot less complicated than Saturday as HC, UNLESS Ballard is bought in 100%. And then they basically hire a new OC, some offensive assts, draft a QB...and it's business as usual.

All we know is he said in his introductory press conference he had names of assistants in his back pocket. He has a good idea of who he would hire. I like what we have heard from him and he knows more then what people think about what it takes to win. I am sure that assistants would be part of if he is the next coach or not. 

57 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Unless Jeff really messes up terribly down the stretch I think he will be the permanent head coach.  Ballard will be on board I predict and together they will fill out his staff and draft a quarterback with our 1st pick.  Hopefully Gus doesn’t get a HC job and stays with Jeff as well.  I think Jeff is smart enough to know his limitations and will surround himself with an experienced staff he can rely on.  That’s where I think we are headed.

Easy. Play out the season.

Hire the best defensive minded head coach possible and hire a young, innovative and creative OC to pair with him.

Evaluate the tape and see who quit on their teammates and adjust the roster as necessary for 2014.

The Hooker kid getting hurt this past weekend may be a blessing in disguise for us as he now will not require a 1st Round pick to obtain......sorry for the kid as I've been there with an untimely injury before too.

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

All we know is he said in his introductory press conference he had names of assistants in his back pocket. He has a good idea of who he would hire. I like what we have heard from him and he knows more then what people think about what it takes to win. I am sure that assistants would be part of if he is the next coach or not. 

Sure. And Ballard had a binder. 

I am open-minded to Saturday being part of the leadership of this team. I just don’t think HC will be that spot. It’s not that I am against it…I just think the FO makes more sense. 

We don’t know what these people truly think, but it sounds like there was issues both with the Rooney Rule and Saturday’s lack of coaching experience. And if that is the case, hopefully it’s none of those names that Saturday has on its list.

8 hours ago, teganslaw said:

What's next is taking each game one at a time, then evaluate what needs to be done at the end of the season.  

An article about playoff potentials as of now listed the Colts "in the hunt". So there is a chance! Probably like one in a thousand. 

Out of the Chargers, Jets, Patriots and Bengals, we need 2 of those teams to fall off a cliff and we basically need to win out thats our playoff scenario.

38 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

A top 10 draft pick but hopefully a competent general manager to make that choice

We are currently #14 and thats likely where we will end up. Saturday has the team playing better we will probably win another couple games.

15 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He has no faith in the Oline. Do u blame him? I have seen the greats such as Manning and Brady crumble when getting the crap knocked out of him.

He definitely looks skittish back there and it’s hard to fathom how he continually makes bad situations worse by not just throwing the ball away and thus losing large chunks of yards on sacks. Did he have that tendency in ATL? I’m guessing not but I don’t know. 

Archived