Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Moala moved to DE

Shepman

NT really just has to command two people to block him so Moala could have played NT in theory if his rushing skills would make it necessary and DE in 3-4 is the line so not sure I am following the first point. Either way just pointing out that it looks like we are trying to get bigger and that we may be moving towards more focus on 3-4 then previously expected. Glad I could share some news so people have something new to thrash.

Not surprised, it's his best position (in our new 3-4), plus he has experience playing it. Should be in a rotation with Nevis, a rotation where he should be getting 75% of the snaps. I doubt he backs up Redding.

Who is the other starting end? It says that he is a backup to Redding.

It's just an early assumption made by rotoworld. Odds are, he won't end up the backup, but will probably become starter to compliment him. I doubt they put the Dlineman with the 2nd most experience in a 3-4 as the backup.

Hopefully he excels at this position, he seems to be the ideal size for a 3-4 DE at 6"4 303 LBS. AJ 6"3 310, might also be a pretty decent DE, hopefully they fit in better as 3-4 DE's then they did 4-3 tackles. Drake Nevis might be able to fill some time as a rotational guy, unfortunately he's only listed at 6"1 near 300 lbs, but he does have some tenacity to him.

NT really just has to command two people to block him so Moala could have played NT in theory if his rushing skills would make it necessary and DE in 3-4 is the line so not sure I am following the first point. Either way just pointing out that it looks like we are trying to get bigger and that we may be moving towards more focus on 3-4 then previously expected. Glad I could share some news so people have something new to thrash.

I assume that he is "moving" to 3-4 in the same way that Freeney and Mathis are moving to LB. We are talking about the 3-4 look as you mentioned. However on those occasions when we play 4-3 instead, I can't imagine that he would be at end over Freeney/Mathis. I think that joshjudges point was that the defensive line isn't "getting bigger" in the way your OP seems to imply. When we play 4-3, nothing is changing. When we play 3-4, the ends darn well be the "bigger" players or you'd have to question the coaches sanity. In short, this is news only in the sense that we are all waiting to see who plays NT, and this rules out one of the theoretically potential candidates. And since Moala seems a lot smaller than the successful NTs we all hear about, I can't imagine that many here expected him to play there very much.

I assume that he is "moving" to 3-4 in the same way that Freeney and Mathis are moving to LB. We are talking about the 3-4 look as you mentioned. However on those occasions when we play 4-3 instead, I can't imagine that he would be at end over Freeney/Mathis. I think that joshjudges point was that the defensive line isn't "getting bigger" in the way your OP seems to imply. When we play 4-3, nothing is changing. When we play 3-4, the ends darn well be the "bigger" players or you'd have to question the coaches sanity. In short, this is news only in the sense that we are all waiting to see who plays NT, and this rules out one of the theoretically potential candidates. And since Moala seems a lot smaller than the successful NTs we all hear about, I can't imagine that many here expected him to play there very much.

McKinney will play NT. Hopefully they draft another legit NT in the draft because im extremely doubtful that Mookie can play NT. He wasn't even that stout as a 4-3 DT.

Edit: I think people are going to be surprised with McKinney. The guy has some talent and may turn into a nice player for us. won't be a pro-bowler but will do pretty good IMO.

McKinney will play NT. Hopefully they draft another legit NT in the draft because im extremely doubtful that Mookie can play NT. He wasn't even that stout as a 4-3 DT.

Edit: I think people are going to be surprised with McKinney. The guy has some talent and may turn into a nice player for us. won't be a pro-bowler but will do pretty good IMO.

You're right of course, I completely forgot about him.

I do remember reading that he has never played that much. So we still have the question about whether he was brought in to be a backup, or whether they expect him to be sufficient since we won't be playing 3-4 all the time. I've been assuming that they will take a NT in the 2nd or 3rd round as well. A good one is such a key component of the 3-4.

Of course it they do bring in another one, you have to start counting bodies. (I'd do it right now but I just arrived home with Chinese Food and I don't want it to get cold. :) ). You can't carry "that" many dlineman. I wonder how many Baltimore has typically carried. How the heck do you staff for two fundamentally different defenses at the same time? Which guys do the Ravens flex from LB to DE when they play 4-3? I guess what I have in the back of my mind in saying all this is that I really hope that Nevis doesn't get minimized in the process - or dumped all-together. The guy looked like he could be something special at times last year.

we'r e going to have a very unconventional defense with tackles plaing end and ends playing linebacker..

Can't be worse than our old cover 2, can it?

Actually I think it's going to be very interesting to watch Freeney & Mathis blitzing from the OLB positions.

But how am I going to watch? I don't and can't get DIRECTV & the Colts won't be on locally much in my area.

Looks like lunch in sports bars on Sunday's for me.

we'r e going to have a very unconventional defense with tackles plaing end and ends playing linebacker..

Um...that's not an unconventional defense....that's a 3-4. ;) That's why you see guys listed as OLB/DE (guy who would play OLB in a 3-4 or DE in a 4-3 like Mathis and Freeney) or DE/DT (guy who would be DE in a 3-4 or DT in a 4-3 ala Cory Redding and Fili Moala)....because they're hybrid players that can play one position in a 3-4 or a different position in a 4-3. It's not so much unconventional as it is standard operating procedure when talking about the differences between a 4-3 and 3-4. :)

Fili Moala would not be any more experienced in the 3-4 if they draft a DE who also played DE in a 3-4. I believe it will be a later pick, and I am not sure who, but I do believe they will grab one. Next year is a wash anyway and a great opportunity to get experience in on more than one rookie. They want to build a new defense and you do that by mixing in rookies and experienced stop gap players. Who is labeled the starters won't mean too much.

.....i sure as heck hope so. it's all pointing, hopefully, that we can't play with the big boys without getting bigger ourselves. IF we can't (as usual) stop the run, we are cooked. and on the other side, IF we can't run the ball with power, taking some pressure off of luck, we are 2-14 again.....