Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022: Colts at Pats Postgame Thoughts (Merge)

EastStreet

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I did wonder about the vaxing issue and that is more of a finger at Irsay. I do wonder if the treatment of Wentz might have soured some players. That being said if u r Nelson and feel that way. Don't sign an extension and play out season and make your feelings known that u don't want to play for Colts owner ship.  U don't take 100 mill and decide to lay down. I do feel we r  giving these Olinemen  an excuse for their performance. They r high picks so I really think coaching should only contribute a little to their overall success. Nelson and Kelly were elite coming out and the finished products. Ramsey was all pro in zone scheme for Jags and man scheme for LA. 

It's a business. Teams want to pay as little possible. Players want as much possible. Teams cut players all the time, and players have tantrums and demand trades and more money.. I don't feel sorry for either side... 

Would you say no to 80M deal with 60M guaranteed... lol.. even if you had concerns with the organization, or didn't like your boss? Tell the truth lol...

And my gut tells me.... a lot of players are unhappy. An owner bashed unvaxed players, and broke unwritten rules (throwing a player under the bus in public). And the QB musical chairs impacts players. Every QB had friends on the team. How many times now? And one OL had to tell Frank "run the damn ball" last year lol... And our best WR voiced concerns this year... 

It sounds like a huge mess. And media now reporting the locker room is not a good place either. 

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, #12. said:

If they can't get high enough to get a franchise QB in the draft, I'm very curious to see who is quarterbacking this team in 2023.  They wouldn't dare to bring in another retread. 

Sam or Foles, I suppose, although Ryan is still under contract.

Maybe Luck will drop out of college.

Honestly if you fix the line and bring in a new coach Ryan isn’t the worst option out there.  Don’t see it happening but if we’ve learned anything from Sam playing Ryan wasn’t the problem.

21 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I do think the biggest mistake they made was letting Guz go. He has bounced around since then but they seemed to have a lot of chmesity. I would fire Srauss and give him a call and I am serious 

He's not a nice guy. But he's a good OL coach. 

I'm guessing "mean" OLs, probably like him. 

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Honestly if you fix the line and bring in a new coach Ryan isn’t the worst option out there.  Don’t see it happening but if we’ve learned anything from Sam playing Ryan wasn’t the problem.

So if we go back to Ryan, we will only do it by firing Frank because he unfortunately was the messenger for “Sam E will start the rest of the season”. Sam E has been placed in the same position as Curtis Painter, just that there’s no Andrew Luck in the draft. :) 

Ballard has left Reich out to dry in the firing lane for the media, IMO.

Just now, chad72 said:

So if we go back to Ryan, we will only do it by firing Frank because he unfortunately was the messenger for “Sam E will start the rest of the season”. Sam E has been placed in the same position as Curtis Painter, just that there’s no Andrew Luck in the draft. :) 

Most assumed the message came from Irsay... 

Just now, chad72 said:

Frank also said after the game today he’d have to think about if they would make a QB change after this week so that first quote doesn’t mean much.

With that I said I was talking about next season in the post you quoted responding to someone asking what do you do at QB if you can’t get one of the big three in the draft and I do expect Reich to be fired at the end of the year.  

Once again the Defense held the opposing offense to less than 20 (I'm not counting the pick 6), they probably could of held them to even less if they weren't constantly on the field and given a breather.

The offense was horrendous Matt Pryor was horrible easily getting beat and unaware to any stunts to the point they were running right by him. At some point the coaches need to bench him, because he doesn't belong on the field. At this point though I think Frank has just given up, because his inability to adapt to the players he has and just continues to call plays they know are gonna fail is ridiculous. I mean you have a mobile QB never calls a rollout, his best RB is more of a scat back, continues to run him up the middle instead of off tackle. 3rd and inches lets put a TE in the FB position and run him instead of a QB sneak (but lets be honest Frank never calls a QB sneak).

I think Frank Reich is a great guy, but think he is better suited as a QB coach not a Head Coach.

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Matt wasn't really the solution either.  That said, it is something to consider.  It now looks like pushing Phil out was a mistake.  If the Colts believe they might not be able to land a QB in the draft, maybe they should just ride Ryan out through his contract.

After watching todays game the Colts are officially the Nfl's "Bottom Feeders"! I got blasted a few weeks ago for saying it. Is Matt Pryor the best guard we have? Pinter is worse? Good God! I think Alabama or Georgia's O-line could do better.

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

How does this even happen. These guys have played in the league too long for this.

I think its pretty obvious. They are sick of playing for Frank, sick of the direction of this team, sick of the qb carasoul. Benching of Matt Ryan after 7 games with a 3-3-1 record has to be the topper as keefer reported mid week. 

Also IMO i dont think theres any defending Sam today either. He wasnt sacked and under pressure every single play. The plays where he had time he missed a lot of wide open reads. He played like a 6th rounder today.

5 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

He looks like he has given up

I think he’s a man who is out of answers.  Frank isn’t dumb, he’s smart enough to know that the line isn’t good enough and until that’s fixed nothing he does is going to fix things but I think he also knows they are out of options to try on the oline.  They just don’t have five NFL starters on this roster.  Honestly at times it looks like they have two which isn’t even close to what they need.  I think he also knows this is ultimately going to cost him his job so he’s frustrated.  Nothing he can do is going to make this team better.

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

I think its pretty obvious. They are sick of playing for Frank, sick of the direction of this team, sick of the qb carasoul. Benching of Matt Ryan after 7 games with a 3-3-1 record has to be the topper as keefer reported mid week. 

Also IMO i dont think theres any defending Sam today either. He wasnt sacked and under pressure every single play. The plays where he had time he missed a lot of wide open reads. He played like a 6th rounder today.

That’s not how it works. There is way more going on here. Some of it is these vets are tired of the QB changing all the time.

59 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So u r telling me the Oline does not want to play zone scheme? I guess I get back to my question. Though man maybe their best fit should not they still not be able to play zone scheme with some efficiency?? I mean this looks like a lay down by thw Oline and they r getting people injured and that is a heinous act by them.

Yeah, your conversing with wackiness at this point.   

You're right.  You know that the most important position on the line is LT..not LG.  Many have thought the opposite since 2018 and have set themselves up to be confused now, grasping for straws...like its the fault of firing our coach like 10 years ago, who is now coaching in DII college.  

Then note that our good LT retired, and the guy who was on skates last year...yet to return to the NFL....caused an incremental drop in the oline play from previous years.  Then note, the LT who replaced that downgraded LT is a further downgrade from him...that's a two level downgrade in two years.   Add to that a RG problem where nobody that plays there appears to be NFL caliber at this point.   

That's 40% of the oline that is not manned with an NFL caliber player.  Defensive coordinators know this.  Playcalling can't overcome that kind of a problem.

But, I'm sure that none of the olinemen have confidence in anything we are doing at this point.  They know the end is near for this scheme and their coaches.  That's not really the coach's fault, but that's what happens in the NFL.

From where they were following the Patriot and Arizona games last year until now?  What in the F happened here?  lol.  Remember, this path of crap started last year.   I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like it.  

I would love to see Ballard interviewed tomorrow and asked, looking at this mess on November 7th 2022, what needs to happen here?  What do you do going forward? 

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think he’s a man who is out of answers.  Frank isn’t dumb, he’s smart enough to know that the line isn’t good enough and until that’s fixed nothing he does is going to fix things but I think he also knows they are out of options to try on the oline.  They just don’t have five NFL starters on this roster.  Honestly at times it looks like they have two which isn’t even close to what they need.  I think he also knows this is ultimately going to cost him his job so he’s frustrated.  Nothing he can do is going to make this team better.

Best post of the season by anybody!  Congratulations!

2 hours ago, IndySouthsider said:

A bad QB, a bad OL, Bad coaching, and a bad roster. If anyone has a job after the season, you have to question ownerships desire to win.

Thats the one thing i will NEVER question. Ever. He loves this team. 

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

It’s always been the line at the top of the list and they failed to fix it when it’s been obvious since week one. Ballard had weeks to make a trade. They had weeks to fire strausser. Failure all around.

and this is why Ballard should be the one to get fired--not Frank 

Watch them go back to Ryan lol

Never should have benched Ryan. Makes no sense to bench a guy that's making that much money when the rest of the team is underperforming to that degree. 9 freaking sacks. He came here with the understanding that things would be different here, but they're clearly not. If the team is going to lose like this, at least let Ryan get his stats. Dude has put in the time, might as well let him do his thing. Otherwise, cut him loose.

20 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

How does this even happen. These guys have played in the league too long for this.

A random screen shot from twitter with zero context... 

The QB is running out of the pocket to the right sideline...

What else do we know lol..?

Was it a planned roll out?

Was it a designed QB run?

Was it just a scramble after the pocket broke?

But twitter says we should forget Sam's bad passes, noodle throws, and zeroing on his priority read.

Just now, RobertAP said:

Never should have benched Ryan. Makes no sense to bench a guy that's making that much money when the rest of the team is underperforming to that degree. 9 freaking sacks. He came here with the understanding that things would be different here, but they're clearly not. If the team is going to lose like this, at least let Ryan get his stats. Dude has put in the time, might as well let him do his thing. Otherwise, cut him loose.

You can blame Irsay for that.

Ballard failed to get a RG and LT. Let two starring calibur guards go.  Then on top of that lost two blockers in Doyle and pascal and failed to replace that blocking. The entire oline comes down to players regressing on the oline and ballad failing to fill needs.

I agree with you.

Every GM is going to get fired eventually.  All of them.  The basic difference between keeping your job and losing your job is the ratio of good decisions to bad decisions.  Ballard made some bad decisions early in his tenure, but they were outweighed by the good decisions.  That's no longer the case.  As you pointed out above.  The bad decisions are catching up with him.  And it's looking more and more like it's time.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, your conversing with wackiness at this point.   

You're right.  You know that the most important position on the line is LT..not LG.  Many have thought the opposite since 2018 and have set themselves up to be confused now, grasping for straws...like its the fault of firing our coach like 10 years ago, who is now coaching in DII college.  

Then note that our good LT retired, and the guy who was on skates last year...yet to return to the NFL....caused an incremental drop in the oline play from previous years.  Then note, the LT who replaced that downgraded LT is a further downgrade from him...that's a two level downgrade in two years.   Add to that a RG problem where nobody that plays there appears to be NFL caliber at this point.   

That's 40% of the oline that is not manned with an NFL caliber player.  Defensive coordinators know this.  Playcalling can't overcome that kind of a problem.

But, I'm sure that none of the olinemen have confidence in anything we are doing at this point.  They know the end is near for this scheme and their coaches.  That's not really the coach's fault, but that's what happens in the NFL.

Yeah I hear all the excuses.  It's not their best scheme fit. You know what? The next head coach is going to walk in and change the offensive and defensive scheme. U also want to know what. The best players will be able to adapt.  If they cannot that tells me they were not that great over all or simply do not want to comply . Either way they are gone. Strasser maybe a problem but to watch these games and not realize there is a severe shortage of talent on the Oline is deep denial. U have a worn out center. An over rated LG  and looks like washed up . A crappy LT and RG and a RT who should be playing guard. People still ask why this offense is struggling? Plus u have no rb. A rookie but talented wr. Pittman which I have said is over rated and get a good corner on him and he disappears. Campbell is still developing but I like the skill set. Granson and Woods who have all the metrics but cannot block. Cox...well Ballard made him a rich man. The #1 problem is talent at the skill positions and continues to be. LG and MLB were a horrible investment. I said  numerous times that Leonard would not be missed as his position.. u see I used the word position is replaceable.  

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yeah I hear all the excuses.  It's not their best scheme fit. You know what? The next head coach is going to walk in and change the offensive and defensive scheme. U also want to know what. The best players will be able to adapt.  If they cannot that tells me they were not that great over all or simply do not want to comply . Either way they are gone. Strasser maybe a problem but to watch these games and not realize there is a severe shortage of talent on the Oline is deep denial. U have a worn out center. An over rated LG  and looks like washed up . A crappy LT and RG and a RT who should be playing guard. People still ask why this offense is struggling? Plus u have no rb. A rookie but talented wr. Pittman which I have said is over rated and get a good corner on him and he disappears. Campbell is still developing but I like the skill set. Granson and Woods who have all the metrics but cannot block. Cox...well Ballard made him a rich man. The #1 problem is talent at the skill positions and continues to be. LG and MLB were a horrible investment. I said  numerous times that Leonard would not be missed as his position.. u see I used the word position is replaceable.  

The next HC will be playing with new players on the oline...40% at least, if not 60%.

Then the narrative will glow about how much impact the coaching change had.  LOL. 

Archived