Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan benched for Sam (merge)

John Waylon

Just now, skerfalcon8710 said:

Don’t disagree, I’m more annoyed at the Atlanta managment for how they ended up being forced into trading him bc they chased after Watson in the cover of darkness then ended up with egg on their face.

i think regardless of the Watson situation they knew the writting was on the wall for Ryan. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, skerfalcon8710 said:

Your oline is big bad, I’ve watched Ryan play behind some * poor olines, this one may be the worst. Ryan has issues sure but when you keep him clean he won you games. They should be 4-2 if not for Shankenship. 

acting like Ryan is the only issue on this team is absolutely laughable. 

Rough day man?

3 minutes ago, skerfalcon8710 said:

Don’t disagree, I’m more annoyed at the Atlanta managment for how they ended up being forced into trading him bc they chased after Watson in the cover of darkness then ended up with egg on their face.

In retrospect, as cold as it sounds, it kept them from extending a fading Matt Ryan and tying themselves to him. Just like Broncos fans turned on Peyton and his noodle arm in 2015, Colts fans have absolutely no allegiance or sentimental attachment to Matt Ryan, so we call it like we see it. He is fading fast and cannot give us 60 minutes with a high level of decision making game in and game out. Not that we have great options behind him but we might as well move on faster than delaying the inevitable, another potential purgatory season. 

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

In retrospect, as cold as it sounds, it kept them from extending a fading Matt Ryan and tying themselves to him. Just like Broncos fans turned on Peyton and his noodle arm in 2015, Colts fans have absolutely no allegiance or sentimental attachment to Matt Ryan, so we call it like we see it. He is fading fast and cannot give us 60 minutes with a high level of decision making game in and game out. Not that we have great options behind him but we might as well move on faster than delaying the inevitable, another potential purgatory season. 

How does anyone know what Ryan was promised or told before he was traded here??? I’ve never seen public knowledge of those conversations between the colts and Ryan…yet so many people say he was promised the best O line and top RB. Reich said we didn’t hold up to Ryan like we should have but I highly doubt that we promised him the best O line and best RB in the league and that it was going to be easy here.

Ryan has not performed…regardless of the O line (because despite the O line sucking it up) it’s Ryan’s responsibility to make the right decisions. Take a sack or throw it away but for crying out loud don’t fumble it and toss it to the other team. 

Call me cynical, but despite the blather coming from Reich and the "insiders" I have a really hard time buying that Ehlinger is being given the reigns because they feel he gives the team the best chance to win. 

After yesterday's loss essentially torpedoed any chance of winning the division, Irsay decided that it was time to break the cycle of mediocrity, decided that a flat offense is not going to lead to winning football and, therefore, more or less made the edict that Sam is starting to position ourselves to grab one of Stroud, Young or Levis in the 2023 Draft. 

Gregg Doyel's question is very appropriate: If they thought this highly of the guy, shouldn't he have been #2 on the depth chart going into the season.  Heck, why wasn't he given the chance to compete for the starting job after they traded Wentz.  

They will never say this out loud, but, Ehlinger is being asked to play the role of a Curtis Painter or Kelly Holcomb: get us into the top 5 of the draft.  

3 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

How does anyone know what Ryan was promised or told before he was traded here??? I’ve never seen public knowledge of those conversations between the colts and Ryan…yet so many people say he was promised the best O line and top RB. Reich said we didn’t hold up to Ryan like we should have but I highly doubt that we promised him the best O line and best RB in the league and that it was going to be easy here.

Ryan has not performed…regardless of the O line (because despite the O line sucking it up) it’s Ryan’s responsibility to make the right decisions. Take a sack or throw it away but for crying out loud don’t fumble it and toss it to the other team. 

The problem is our O-line pass protection was fading as the season went on and Wentz's legs kept extending plays like in the Cardinals game though his decision making let us down in the 4th quarters more often than not, but his arm did keep Ds scattered. So, we were able to cover some blemishes there. Then, without paying attention to that downward spiral in pass protection, thinking they could fix it, they put Matt Pryor at LT and put a statue in Matt Ryan at the worst possible time, the perfect storm Matt Ryan walked into at the wrong time. 

1 minute ago, SR711 said:

Call me cynical, but despite the blather coming from Reich and the "insiders" I have a really hard time buying that Ehlinger is being given the reigns because they feel he gives the team the best chance to win. 

After yesterday's loss essentially torpedoed any chance of winning the division, Irsay decided that it was time to break the cycle of mediocrity, decided that a flat offense is not going to lead to winning football and, therefore, more or less made the edict that Sam is starting to position ourselves to grab one of Stroud, Young or Levis in the 2023 Draft. 

Gregg Doyel's question is very appropriate: If they thought this highly of the guy, shouldn't he have been #2 on the depth chart going into the season.  Heck, why wasn't he given the chance to compete for the starting job after they traded Wentz.  

They will never say this out loud, but, Ehlinger is being asked to play the role of a Curtis Painter or Kelly Holcomb: get us into the top 5 of the draft.  

so you think we're tanking?

6 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

yeah hasn't been my general expeirence to be honest. people tend to know about the few star players but thats it. that's why every year Fred Warner is voted as the best off ball backer, when Leonard out ranks him in every single measureable statistic. just how it goes. I literally had someone tell me once we haven't been good since Peyton left, or that we hadnn't had a QB since Peyton. they live in the past or off big names only. 

People here know (including women) can talk FB better than most regions. One of most favorite employees in my entire career (she was born in GA, and a USC Trojan grad) can talk about everything FB, including O and D schemes, and follows recruiting as much or more than me. It's crazy here. I though HS FB was big in Indy, until I moved to the SE. It's religion here. And even more about SEC. If you talk most about Indy down here.... they know and respect Luck, but most think was overrated. I tend to agree. Not just talking TN folks. I'm talking SE in general. 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

People here know (including women) can talk FB better than most regions. One of most favorite employees in my entire career (she was born in GA, and a USC Trojan grad) can talk about everything FB, including O and D schemes, and follows recruiting as much or more than me. It's crazy here. I though HS FB was big in Indy, until I moved to the SE. It's religion here. And even more about SEC. If you talk most about Indy down here.... they know and respect Luck, but most think was overrated. I tend to agree. Not just talking TN folks. I'm talking SE in general. 

hard to argue with his multiple 11-5 seasons, never losing to TEN, taking a team from 4-12 to the playoffs, i wouldn't call him overrated, but i guess thats a talk for another time. 

what i know for a fact, is it has been a different team since he left. and it hasn't been all that enjoyable. 

21 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Yeah I posted that yesterday. Wonder how long he has been injured? 

Based on the game plan this week maybe a week or better. He looked decent against jags. This week was heroundous. Pittman is talking out of school now. Bad sign. Meltdown in the locker room. Frank should let Sam Ehlinger do his thing and he may. Frank's job is on the line. Ballard too.

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

That is Doyel being a jerk. You can ask a tough question in a professional manner without being a jerk. Doyel thinks he knows more than Frank or the others to make such a jerk like statement in a professional setting? 

You can ask how Sam wasn't good enough then but why is he suddenly good enough now and leave out the "you guys don't know what you are doing" part. Someone take Doyel's credentials away, please. Colts' coaches haven't done anything to disrespect him in a press conference, have they?

I would have harsher words to say about Doyel, if I didn't have to worry about getting banned. 

1 minute ago, AustinnKaine said:

hard to argue with his multiple 11-5 seasons, never losing to TEN, taking a team from 4-12 to the playoffs, i wouldn't call him overrated, but i guess thats a talk for another time. 

what i know for a fact, is it has been a different team since he left. and it hasn't been all that enjoyable. 

Luck ran around for his life just about as much as Ryan has been…but he was able to extend the plays with his legs either running for yardage or running away from pressure to complete something downfield. Something Ryan has not been able to do. 

again, the O line needs to do its job better, but in my opinion Ryan did not do the job he was brought here to do plain and simple.

The future can only get better from here on out I mean one way or another we are at least finding out what we have in Sam or at least we know if Ryan was a bad as we think he was.

8 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Ehrlinger about to tear up the league! I hope he remains the starter!

i think its a better change than ryan. sams got the team around him to make some plays. and he really opens up the playbook to do other stuff. qb runs and stuff. in todays league this is a major upgrade for us. i can imagine jt laying out a couple lb's while sam runs on by... looking forward to it

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That is Doyel being a jerk. You can ask a tough question in a professional manner without being a jerk. Doyel thinks he knows more than Frank or the others to make such a jerk like statement in a professional setting? 

You can ask how Sam wasn't good enough then but why is he suddenly good enough now and leave out the "you guys don't know what you are doing" part. Someone take Doyel's credentials away, please. Colts' coaches haven't done anything to disrespect him in a press conference, have they?

shows a lack of intelligence in my mind, i can easily come up with a question that hits the same tone without being unprofessional.

"What have you seen from Sam that warrants him starting over a former SB quarterback, and a 15 year vet, who the team has paid handsomly and had ultimate confidence in during the offseason"

but to be fair, it really shouldn't be asked. they never spoke poorly about Sam, he was moved to QB2 recently which already should've been a red flag. 

can also ask,

"if Foles was good enough to be the backup, why is he not starting, has Sam played better than him in practice?"

edit: seems like Doyel just wanted to take his shot at Frank. 

1 minute ago, AustinnKaine said:

Like I said, not talking just TN folks. I understand TN bias after Indy booted Peyton for Luck. But outside of Indy, folks just don't worship Luck. Me personally, I thought he had great talent. Always cheered for him. But never thought he was near Manning level. Doesn't matter. I don't waste time about thinking about Luck. He chose to retire. More concerned about our mess now lol. But in short (in terms of outside of IN), Indy doesn't get much respect since Manning. And zero respect the last 4 years for sure. 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Like I said, not talking just TN folks. I understand TN bias after Indy booted Peyton for Luck. But outside of Indy, folks just don't worship Luck. Me personally, I thought he had great talent. Always cheered for him. But never thought he was near Manning level. Doesn't matter. I don't waste time about thinking about Luck. He chose to retire. More concerned about our mess now lol. But in short (in terms of outside of IN), Indy doesn't get much respect since Manning. And zero respect the last 4 years for sure. 

oh i don't worship him either, but it's hard to argue his talent. clearly a talent wasted. but at least he kept us in games and we never felt out of it. yesterday i felt like after the first quarter we weren't gonna win. i really don't like that feeling as a fan. when you can predict with strong confidence your team can't win. like irsay saying after the last jax game last year, it's over at half time. warm up the plane. 

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

i also am excited for this sunday. this TEN game was worse to me than the DEN game tbh

i think with a mobile QB we see a lot more RPO (Franks strength)

Just curious. Why do you say RPO is Frank's strength. Luck was who he was and I saw no RPOs from Brissett, Rivers. Wentz or Ryan. Maybe some from Wentz but we all know how that turned out.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Indianapolis has surely been a “has been” the past number of years and regarded as such. 

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I would have harsher words to say about Doyel, if I didn't have to worry about getting banned. 

I absolutely agree. It was classless. The questions are the right questions to ask, but to throw that comment in did nothing to help. Our lovely state ladies and gentlemen… 

Just now, hoosierhawk said:

Just curious. Why do you say RPO is Frank's strength. Luck was who he was and I saw no RPOs from Brissett, Rivers. Wentz or Ryan. Maybe some from Wentz but we all know how that turned out.

I am not sure that Wentz has the best or even average IQ on the field…this is where I think that Ehlinger may clearly surpass the likes of Wentz. 

He is very good at RPO. 

With Luck I think they stopped him from running in general. It's almost like they didn't want him hit, at all.
Brissett - is not as mobile as Sam, or Wentz.

Wentz is not as mobile as Sam.

Last year we did see some stuff with Wentz on the move, but I never really viewed Wentz as that great of a runner. 

But a lot of the stuff Frank runs is based on an RPO, run dominant, play action offense. It's been that way for years. It might look different with each QB, but its all the same stuff. 

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I agree with you.  I like how Frank handled it while being professional but still making it pretty clear he didn’t appreciate it.

Welp, one positive with this whole thing: Sam knows the offense very well. I recall he beat out Eason because he was able to pick up the playbook faster. We’ll see how that translates on the field, but at least there will be some continuity in that phase of the game plan.

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

did you watch the game? both picks he had 4s+ to throw, and threw it straight to the defender. you can't blame that on the OL (as a Matt Ryan fan, you should be well acclimiated to his propensity to turn the ball over)

also for clarity, they said he was getting benched regardless of injury. he has played bad, it's just how it is. 

Did you watch the game? On the pick six the Titans blitzed untouched and he had far, far less than 4s.

42 minutes ago, skerfalcon8710 said:

He had an average year playing behind Jaylen Mayfield who was the worst guard in the NFL as a rookie last year. He had a rookie Kyle Pitts to throw to, russel gage who Brady can’t even make look good and a 5’8 midget named OZ bc his best receiver was busy gambling on games and quit 4 games into the season. 

Your coach, GM and owner sold everyone on the idea that you had an All Pro line and a dominate RB. Wait didn’t that RB also fumble the ball away ok a drive to tie the game in the first Ten game? 

again your team is hot garbage, so is my team. 

end of the day I’m disappointed to see Ryan go out like this and for the team and fans to run the bus over him as a scapegoat. 

Did you watch the game? On the pick six the Titans blitzed untouched and he had far, far less than 4s.

I did watch the game. Maybe on one of them he had less time, should've thrown it into the dirty. But I am certain that on one of them , he had plenty of time. still threw the pick. 

16 minutes ago, SR711 said:

You hit the nail right on the head. Doyle’s question may have been unprofessional but was warranted. How did he go from QB3 to QB1 in the span of 3 weeks? There’s zero chance he made some type of miraculous jump since the start of the season In practice. And why not even let Foles get a crack?

Any smart fan realizes that there is something more to this. Often times this is a team’s informal way of throwing the towel in and “positioning” themselves for the draft. No one in their right mind could really believe that this team with this atrocious O-line can win more than another 4 games tops with Sam as QB.

There’s a lot going on behind the scenes, and none of it good. Even the way it was announced that Sam was going to be the guy (Reich going out of his way to tell people that injury has nothing to do with it) was weird. If I had to speculate I’d have to figure that Irsay has made a decision on this regime. I think only one of the guys has a chance to save their job and it’s Reich.

7 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Welp, one positive with this whole thing: Sam knows the offense very well. I recall he beat out Eason because he was able to pick up the playbook faster. We’ll see how that translates on the field, but at least there will be some continuity in that phase of the game plan.

I think in some ways he may be more comfy  then Ryan because of this. I can’t remember if it was Ryan when he got here but said Sam was helping him learn the playbook.

11 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

You hit the nail right on the head. Doyle’s question may have been unprofessional but was warranted. How did he go from QB3 to QB1 in the span of 3 weeks? There’s zero chance he made some type of miraculous jump since the start of the season In practice. And why not even let Foles get a crack?

Any smart fan realizes that there is something more to this. Often times this is a team’s informal way of throwing the towel in and “positioning” themselves for the draft. No one in their right mind could really believe that this team with this atrocious O-line can win more than another 4 games tops with Sam as QB.

There’s a lot going on behind the scenes, and none of it good. Even the way it was announced that Sam was going to be the guy (Reich going out of his way to tell people that injury has nothing to do with it) was weird. If I had to speculate I’d have to figure that Irsay has made a decision on this regime. I think only one of the guys has a chance to save their job and it’s Reich.

It’s pretty evident that the owner threw a tantrum and demanded Sam play after seeing NE have success with Zappe and same success against 4th string in the preseason.. 

Just now, skerfalcon8710 said:

It’s pretty evident that the owner threw a tantrum and demanded Sam play after seeing NE have success with Zappe and same success against 4th string in the preseason.. 

it’s not that evident. Several media guys says this seems like a Reich move and it didn’t take much to convince Irsay because he lovesSam. 

Archived