Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan benched for Sam (merge)

John Waylon

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

sam never flops he is a winner at every level .

Most QBs who get to the NFL win at all levels until they get here. Not saying you’re wrong, but just understand that just because Sam has won at the high school and collegiate level does not made a precedent for him to win in the NFL. The odds are still pretty stacked against him. 

13 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I mean…all it does is hurt them to keep Ryan around…because more money gets gtd midway through March.

He may not be willing to actually be a backup QB though.  they could bluff and see if hes really all in on going to training camp, every practice and meeting, every flight and always be ready to go on game day

It might not work at all and they simply cut him but this bluff is worth a try. He probably doesnt want to do all that and hes got a ton of money 

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

Most QBs who get to the NFL win at all levels until they get here. Not saying you’re wrong, but just understand that just because Sam has won at the high school and collegiate level does not made a precedent for him to win in the NFL. The odds are still pretty stacked against him. 

Agreed. 

I think the move is exciting for the fan base though. It’s probably very telling as well, that the FO are no longer All-In for 2022. Irsay probably is very involved in this decision. 

1 minute ago, BlackTiger said:

He may not be willing to actually be a backup QB though.  they could bluff and see if hes really all in on going to training camp, every practice and meeting, every flight and always be ready to go on game day

It might not work at all and they simply cut him but this bluff is worth a try. He probably doesnt want to do all that and hes got a ton of money 

They traded for him in March and shortly after, reworked his existing deal to give him more guarantees and “commit” to him, while freeing up some 2022 cap space.

Then he went out and got pummeled for weeks behind this OL. Now he gets benched for the remainder of the 2022 season, which probably ends his career…on a very sour note. 

JMO. But there is no way IND is keeping that $12M they gtd next year. 

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

Agreed. 

I think the move is exciting for the fan base though. It’s probably very telling as well, that the FO are no longer All-In for 2022. Irsay probably is very involved in this decision. 

It’s exciting because it’s the unknown. The same feeling most of us get in the summer when the anticipation builds… 

I’m not going to even pretend to know or understand what this front office is thinking. Most of the NFL national media, experts, players and so on are lost on what this team is. The only consensus I’m seeing is that sometime is seriously wrong behind closed doors. 

We may never learn the truth.

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

It’s exciting because it’s the unknown. The same feeling most of us get in the summer when the anticipation builds… 

I’m not going to even pretend to know or understand what this front office is thinking. Most of the NFL national media, experts, players and so on are lost on what this team is. The only consensus I’m seeing is that sometime is seriously wrong behind closed doors. 

We may never learn the truth.

This smells like Jim has lost faith in Ballard and Reich. Depressing presser.

Curious when Ballard stops hiding. Crickets

6 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

But there is no way IND is keeping that $12M they gtd next year. 

I dont think he should actually stay, just tell him thats the plan and see if he retires.  I dont think he can keep those bonuses if he gets them and then retires before the season

He probably doesnt actually want to be a full time backup next year.  See if hes willing to commit before taking the hit on cutting him

They handled this as well as the falcons front office handled the trade of Matt Ryan when they went after Watson. 

just poorly communicated, managed and executed.

Ryan deserved better than this. Irsay forced this move. For the fans sake I hope it doesn’t backfire on y’all. 

good luck but Irsay is a dunce 

Just now, cdgacoltsfan said:

Sam is the same size as Bailey Zappe who is doing very well with the Patriots in his rookie year.

thats true sam will be good .   here is the thing people don't realize  ballard and frank are extremely conservative on taking chances they like to play it safe .  if they think sam isn't good enough they would play nick foles who is a proven veteran .  for ballard or frank to make this call it means sam is lighting it up in practice every day and looks like a starter .

58 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think they know Matt Ryan isn't the answer and want to see what they have in Sam. It's not a purposeful tank move, but they are probably aware there's a good chance Sam will struggle and don't mind if they get a top 10 pick while seeing how he does.

Which is why this move doesn't hurt us. We're obviously not a championship team so assess what you have currently and if worse comes to worse, you have a high draft pick to try to grab a QB in a loaded class

Can’t say I saw this coming. Feels like a desperation move to be honest. Ryan wasn’t great, and I understand he got hurt, but to just outright say Sam is the starter for the year seems crazy to me. There is a very high probability that Sam comes in and is far worse than Ryan so what then? We guaranteed Ryans contract for this and next year so this just seems like Reich is grasping at straws.

At any rate good luck Sam. I’ll be pulling for you come Sunday.

10 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Sam is the same size as Bailey Zappe who is doing very well with the Patriots in his rookie year.

U know what looks bad. Both the Eagles and Falcons were ready to move on with Wentz and Ryan. They clearly thought they were done but our brain trust thought they were just with bad teams. Ballard got duped once again and this is am alarming pattern. I want this guy no where near the picking of our next franchise qb

6 minutes ago, FanOutOfTown said:

Can’t say I saw this coming. Feels like a desperation move to be honest. Ryan wasn’t great, and I understand he got hurt, but to just outright say Sam is the starter for the year seems crazy to me. There is a very high probability that Sam comes in and is far worse than Ryan so what then? We guaranteed Ryans contract for this and next year so this just seems like Reich is grasping at straws.

At any rate good luck Sam. I’ll be pulling for you come Sunday.

A lot of people including most of the media didn't listen closely to what Frank actually said....he said " FOR NOW, Sam is the starter for the rest of the year"

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So Ballard is brought in because Grigson ended Lucks career because of a horrible offensive line. 6 years later Ballard's building of the Oline causes, most likely, another career ending injury to a Colts qb. Can't make this crap up lol.

Hey, at least we are consistent!

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So u think the talent is here and it's just coaching?

I think we have sufficient talent to be better than we have been playing. I also believe we do have holes, but every team does to some extent or another.  We have a major one at LT and RG that I give fault to Ballard on. 

i think where we fail is on the masking of those holes and consistency using the talents we do have effectively and efficiently. 

if I were to put a percentage as to what’s wrong with this team, I’d say it’s 50 percent coaching (Reich), 20 percent on personnel usages on game day( Reich) 20 on talent(Ballard) 10 percent scheme(Riech and Ballard)

11 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Sam might be void of a lot of nfl experience but he has more football experience being a 4 year starter then some of the young QB in this league.

It’s interesting you mention this,  just last night on sports center they were discussing college QBs that may be in the draft, comparing them to all the QBs taken since 2019, they said that only Trevor Lawerence started for his college 3 years and none had gone 4. 

Archived