Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts' Offense is NOT Broken......


Bolt Colt
 Share

Recommended Posts

Historically speaking, the worst offenses in the league are the ones that struggle to throw the ball with any consistency and ones that simply fail at moving the ball from point A to point B. The Colts, weirdly, aren't necessarily struggling in either department.

 

Good read: https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/colts-offense-not-broken

 

Its time to get the offense out of the funk!

  • Like 5
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This sentence from that article sums it up: 

 

"The Indianapolis Colts offense is being weighed down severely by their pass protection and by turnovers."

 

And the pass protection is responsible for a lot of those turnovers.

 

So it comes down to fixing that overpaid O Line.  Can it be done?

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

This sentence from that article sums it up: 

 

"The Indianapolis Colts offense is being weighed down severely by their pass protection and by turnovers."

 

And the pass protection is responsible for a lot of those turnovers.

 

So it comes down to fixing that overpaid O Line.  Can it be done?

 

Of all people's jobs, Strausser's job's seat is the hottest right now, IMO. This is mainly because our history with the same Johnnys and Joes has showed the level our current personnel has been able to play before.

 

Maybe Strausser has been watching too much Spanish bull fighting and has taught Matador lessons of letting the bull rushes go, lol :) 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Of all people's jobs, Strausser's job's seat is the hottest right now, IMO. This is mainly because our history with the same Johnnys and Joes has showed the level our current personnel has been able to play before.

This^^^^^^. In spite of all the other problems that have beaten to death on this forum, if they can get the oline to even play a little better and get the skill players to simply stop putting the ball on the field, this team is at least 2-2, if not 3-1, and this season looks a lot different. Sadly, they have accomplished none of this so far, but this is the reason I'm not even close to giving up on this season. These two things are not outside our reach to get things turned around.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do think fixing the Oline issues will resolve A LOT of problems this team has on offense. We've seen when Ryan has time or scrambles even a bit that we can throw the ball. They've just GOT to fix it. FIX IT NOW! NOW I SAY!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Bolt Colt said:

Historically speaking, the worst offenses in the league are the ones that struggle to throw the ball with any consistency and ones that simply fail at moving the ball from point A to point B. The Colts, weirdly, aren't necessarily struggling in either department.

 

Good read: https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/colts-offense-not-broken

 

Its time to get the offense out of the funk!

To get out of the funk Frank will have to make personnel changes which he is historically slow at doing which is why we normally finish years stronger than we start. Frank need to start having a shorter lease with players 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The passing offense is starting to show great improvement, when Ryan is given time.  If the OL  could improve thier execution/consistency this offense could possibly take off. Ryan maybe needs more input to scheme/playcalling/option to chg calls. His hurry up offense is really good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

 

Of all people's jobs, Strausser's job's seat is the hottest right now, IMO. This is mainly because our history with the same Johnnys and Joes has showed the level our current personnel has been able to play before.

 

Maybe Strausser has been watching too much Spanish bull fighting and has taught Matador lessons of letting the bull rushes go, lol :) 

I would not exclusively point to a coach.  It's possible that since Braden Smith was originally drafted to be a G but has played RT there pretty well out of necessity at the time, he may be coming back to earth and needs to be moved inside.

 

And there are some traits about Pryor to suggest he is a G too.

 

Just saying that any coach might have a hard time with an oline that is comprised of only Gs and Cs at their traitsy roots, not that Pryor and Smith have been the cause for most of the issues...but moving Smith inside would solve some things at RG and RT.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Overall, this is the 5th game of the season and I never expected the rookies to have much impact this early.  Its like putting Ryan into the same situation Wentz was in last year, only Ryan has to start from scratch again.

 

The running game and the turnovers are the issues, and that's what's different from last year, IMO.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

This sentence from that article sums it up: 

 

"The Indianapolis Colts offense is being weighed down severely by their pass protection and by turnovers."

 

And the pass protection is responsible for a lot of those turnovers.

 

So it comes down to fixing that overpaid O Line.  Can it be done?

And trying to force RUNS. especially up the middle.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Reich is the biggest issue with the offense.   He hasn't shown the ability to scheme.  He hasn't shown the ability to adjust to take advantage of players talents.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Really the only game we completely stunk in was the Jags game. I hate playing at that place. I think they put something in our water lmao 

I have said this over and over. With the revolving door at QB its rough on everybody and i also think the revolving door on the OLINE is an issue also. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, strt182 said:

I have said this over and over. With the revolving door at QB its rough on everybody and i also think the revolving door on the OLINE is an issue also. 


Come on now, let’s be fair.  Who would have guessed that starting a 6th round draft pick, who played Guard for most of his career, wouldn’t be the answer at LT?

 

Its not like the Colts had that much cap space to spend in free agency.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I would not exclusively point to a coach.  It's possible that since Braden Smith was originally drafted to be a G but has played RT there pretty well out of necessity at the time, he may be coming back to earth and needs to be moved inside.

 

And there are some traits about Pryor to suggest he is a G too.

 

Just saying that any coach might have a hard time with an oline that is comprised of only Gs and Cs at their traitsy roots, not that Pryor and Smith have been the cause for most of the issues...but moving Smith inside would solve some things at RG and RT.

 

 

 

So those "traitsy roots" were playing "out of traitsy character" before to overachieve and do something they weren't capable of before and suddenly went back to their "traitsy" self again? That doesn't make much sense. This is not them having the yips, man.

 

Pryor is actually improving as the games have gone on, to be honest. That is why we took some baby steps on pass offense vs the Titans. The true question is, if they can put a complete game together instead of just a quarter or two on offense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

So those "traitsy roots" were playing "out of traitsy character" before to overachieve and do something they weren't capable of before and suddenly went back to their "traitsy" self again? That doesn't make much sense. This is not them having the yips, man.

 

Pryor is actually improving as the games have gone on, to be honest. That is why we took some baby steps on pass offense vs the Titans. The true question is, if they can put a complete game together instead of just a quarter or two on offense.

Well, the yips would apply to Smith only.  Players develop to their ceiling, then level off, then have good and bad years. 

 

 Pryor may simply not be suited to OT but gets by well enough against some teams.  

 

I think the major reason for the decline over the years is going from AC and Glow to Pryor and young Pinter, with whatever Smith has been dealing with thrown in.  I don't think that coaching is gonna turn Pryor into AC or Pinter into Glow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, strt182 said:

And trying to force RUNS. especially up the middle.

ALL teams run about 50 % of runs up the gut.

Frank is more like 90. Rarely do they bounce out successfully. And our bubble screens stink.

Doyle and Pascal were much better than what we are getting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

ALL teams run about 50 % of runs up the gut.

Frank is more like 90. Rarely do they bounce out successfully. And our bubble screens stink.

Doyle and Pascal were much better than what we are getting.

I can't remember the last time a bubble screen we ran went for than 20 yards. Other teams do it and it goes for 50 Screaming Homer Simpson GIF

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can't remember the last time a bubble screen we ran went for than 20 yards. Other teams do it and it goes for 50 Screaming Homer Simpson GIF

It’s because in order for a bubble screen to work, we have to actually have players get in the path of their players.  Normally I don’t even see any of ours within 10 yards.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Catloaf said:

It’s because in order for a bubble screen to work, we have to actually have players get in the path of their players.  Normally I don’t even see any of ours within 10 yards.

We also do not have a head coach who knows how to scheme to make them work.   It's like the same ol' same ol' on every play each game, not matter what the results are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2022 at 8:58 AM, Smonroe said:

This sentence from that article sums it up: 

 

"The Indianapolis Colts offense is being weighed down severely by their pass protection and by turnovers."

 

And the pass protection is responsible for a lot of those turnovers.

 

So it comes down to fixing that overpaid O Line.  Can it be done?

thank you this has been my concern since pre season

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eric Fisher and Glowinski were far better than what Ballard replaced them with. The result is 3 over paid O Linemen and 2 that aren't good. Maybe Nelson will end up playing to his contract but so far 2022 has been less than stellar. This has to fall on Ballard's shoulders.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2022 at 9:58 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Really the only game we completely stunk in was the Jags game. I hate playing at that place. I think they put something in our water lmao 

 

Funny you should mention that.  Have you ever been to Jacksonville?  That city has the weirdest tasting tap water I've ever had.  I can still taste it now and I haven't been to Jacksonville in 15 years.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, tikyle said:

 

Funny you should mention that.  Have you ever been to Jacksonville?  That city has the weirdest tasting tap water I've ever had.  I can still taste it now and I haven't been to Jacksonville in 15 years.

Homer Simpson Smile GIF- me after doing a shot of water in Jacksonville. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I disagree with the OP.  One of the knocks on Matt was that he has the deer in headlights look.  To me that's exactly what I see. He cannot overcome and average oline and I don't see our oline improving much if any this season. I could be wrong but I just dont see it. Sure we come back strong In the second half but that's only because the other team pulls of the gas. Being a 2nd half qb is not really saying much. Personally I'm rooting for Sam. He is the only QB on the roster that can make something out of nothing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2022 at 1:24 PM, chad72 said:

 

So those "traitsy roots" were playing "out of traitsy character" before to overachieve and do something they weren't capable of before and suddenly went back to their "traitsy" self again? That doesn't make much sense. This is not them having the yips, man.

 

Pryor is actually improving as the games have gone on, to be honest. That is why we took some baby steps on pass offense vs the Titans. The true question is, if they can put a complete game together instead of just a quarter or two on offense.

 

 Hmmm! Some believe Fries was the biggest difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...