Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts QB Watch Party

RollerColt

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

Everybody wants to be here ... we are the most desired QB destination. They should do a reverse bidding. Whoever offers to come for the least, wins and gets to be our QB. 

I would think Seattle is pretty sought after.

They have some good weapons there.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I think this is the most important point and why this should be wrapped up soon. Maybe Cleveland is just playing hardball with colts. 

When do they have to trade for Watson?  Does HOU have a timeline?  The trade agreement was announced, but it they might not have to execute it until after the draft....or until TC if HOU has the cap space.

8 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

You can't trust anything you are hearing from the media. They've been wrong more time than right. They'll be saying the Colts haven't had and contract with The browns or Baker.... Then the next day we'll sign him. I don't think anyone in the media has a clue. They are just guessing or making things up.

First off, you need to know the difference between the real media, and some guy who’s a Colts fan, and who may or may not have a podcast, with some social media account.  

There’s a difference.  

Second….  At this time of year, lots of people are wrong.   This time of year is famously known as the lying season for good reason.  NFL teams lie all the time.  

But sometimes, NFL people change minds due to new developments.   Mayfield started the week as the Browns QB.  Then Cleveland’s front office publicly ripped him, which forced Mayfield to say goodbye to the city.  

Then Cleveland went after Watson, then they lost out, and Watson was going elsewhere.  Then Cleveland offered Watson their incredible contract and made a deal with Houston.   In other words, things changed constantly.   Odds are there’s no media deliberately lying, but there’s lots of media who are wrong and behind the curve.   This happens every year.  But there’s no upside to lying.   Messes with credibility. 

I appreciate this is confusing and annoying.  But hang in there.   Eventually, this will all work out.  :thmup:

Just now, DougDew said:

When do they have to trade for Watson?  Does HOU have a timeline?  The trade agreement was announced, but it they might not have to execute it until after the draft....or until TC if HOU has the cap space.

I don’t know. I assume there is a bonus in there that has to be paid by a certain time.

Ryan is due his money on Tuesday. So we should know by then if Ryan is going to request a trade. 

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I don’t know. I assume there is a bonus in there that has to be paid by a certain time.

Ryan is due his money on Tuesday. So we should know by then if Ryan is going to request a trade. 

Yes.  Roster bonuses for all QBs, other signings, rookie draft pool. etc.  These are things that create the deadline for the trade.  I don't know if either HOU or CLE have any financial deadlines until they start signing draft picks.  

1 hour ago, Captain_Colts1317 said:

There’s been multiple reports that Ballard didn’t like Stafford last year. Of course they are assuming but I’m guessing you didn’t call out those reporters also. For the other part if you want to go around correcting peoples spelling issues than I’m sorry you don’t have anything better to do with your time. 

I thought I heard of a report that the Colts tried to get Stafford. I could have been mistaken. 

My apologies

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes.  Roster bonuses for all QBs, other signings, rookie draft pool. etc.  These are things that create the deadline for the trade.  I don't know if either HOU or CLE have any financial deadlines until they start signing draft picks.  

Right now they don’t have the room to add Watson. Thdy could restructure one or two and get under. But I don’t think it will drag on too much longer. They can add his 1 million base bur if there is any bonus to paid they don’t have room.

At this rate the plan will be to draft a second round "Franchise" QB.The situation would look a lot better with a 1st round draft pick.

Soooo - if it was known early that Wentz was not the man to lead the Colts - Why did the Colts allow the provision to trigger the second round pick becoming a first. And here we are!. 

7 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

At this rate the plan will be to draft a second round "Franchise" QB.The situation would look a lot better with a 1st round draft pick.

Soooo - if it was known early that Wentz was not the man to lead the Colts - Why did the Colts allow the provision to trigger the second round pick becoming a first. And here we are!. 

I'm perfectly fine bringing in rookie

"No more bandaids"

50 minutes ago, MPStack said:

@DougDew I just posted in the Baker thread, is there a QB that even gets the Colts headed in the right direction? I don’t believe so. 

Baker would be my first choice, and I think he’ll cost more than the fans would want to give up. At least, the 42nd pick IMO.

What Mayfield are we getting. The good version or one who was mediocre with a loaded offense? We have JT and Pittman. 

nvm.  over to the Ballard thread.

43 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

AI colts had Ryan wanting to come here. Baker wants to come here. Now Mariota wants to come here.  But yet colts still don’t have a QB. Make it make sense.

Here I’ll make it make sense:

there are more factors involved than you are even remotely aware of. Stop stressing it.

16 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Why did the Colts allow the provision to trigger the second round pick becoming a first. And here we are!. 

We were fooled by the soft schedule and “almost” made the playoffs until the wheels fell off the last two games and bullied by the kitty cats in Florida.

18 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

I think that tells you that the decision to dump Wentz was made after the season ended. Quite likely a decision driven by a frustrated and dismayed Owner. Until then, the plan had been to stick and grow with Wentz. Which is why you play him full time as the starter. 

4 minutes ago, Shepman said:

While that is true I would assume there is a signing bonus which will hit the cap split in fifths.

40 mil, so 8 million, so 9 mill approx hit, still can clear the 16 they have so no rush to get Baker traded

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

"No more bandaids"

Wholly agree on 'No More Bandaids". What are the odds the Colts get their QB for the next decade in the second round from a weak QB class. Would Ballard would be making an assessment the Colts are not yet in a position to contend on the assumption this drafted QB takes 2-3 years to develop. What is the mileage on players like Taylor at that point. Just spitballing here.

32 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Pull the trigger Ballard - send a message to the players everyone is-All in.

The team is only tied to the player for 1 year if it does not work out. 

1.  All in was a comment about mind set not a strategy 

2.  Who says Ballard is the hold up?  There was one report the Browns weren’t crazy about trading him to an AFC team.  If that’s true the Browns could be the ones holding this up.

3.  There is conflicting reports on if Ballard has even talked to them if he has he’s probably made his offer and the Browns are weighing their option.  With no first round pick this year and still a lot of needs I am guessing Ballard has said he’s not willing to offer the second for what could be a one year rental.  So the Browns could be seeing if they get a better deal.

45 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

"No more bandaids"

This is believed to be a very weak QB class to start with and not having a first round pick is going to make it even harder to get a guy who they are going to feel comfortable starting day one.  For a GM and coach who could lose their jobs if this year doesn’t go well i am not sure they are willing to risk their jobs on a rookie QB in a weak class and no first round pick to be able to get one of the top guys in the draft.  

Add to that there is no promise a rookie is going to be any better than any of the guys they are looking at.  So if you miss you will be right back in this spot just like it was a bandaid.  

Personally I’d rather they just get the best guy they can.  In a perfect world they would some how land the next Peyton Manning and have him be here for 20 years.  That’s not likely to happen though so if the best guy is a rookie so be it.  If the best guy is a vet for a year or two again so be it.  The bigger thing here is getting this move right.  Ballard can’t afford another miss.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

1.  All in was a comment about mind set not a strategy 

2.  Who says Ballard is the hold up?  There was one report the Browns weren’t crazy about trading him to an AFC team.  If that’s true the Browns could be the ones holding this up.

3.  There is conflicting reports on if Ballard has even talked to them if he has he’s probably made his offer and the Browns are weighing their option.  With no first round pick this year and still a lot of needs I am guessing Ballard has said he’s not willing to offer that for What could be a one year rental.  So the Browns could be seeing if they get a better deal.

All true. The sooner the better the QB situation is solidified so the team can fill out the rest of the roster and field a playoff team. I am not stating the I have any knowledge to the situation other than this is what I hope happens.

Archived