Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard Press Conference

IrsaysArmy

9 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

I'm not sure you can stay with Wentz now. The last few days Frank and Chris have eviscerated Carson. I’m not sure they can come back from that. How do you present him as the guy to the locker room?

Not committing to him is just an acknowledgement that he hasn't convinced them beyond doubt. However, when the raw emotions have settled down, they will evaluate if his issues can be corrected and if they can re-load and go again with him at QB again. IMO, a lack of commitment is not the same as evisceration. That is how I look at it.

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heres what I think. Ballard is going to seriously look into the possibility of somehow acquiring either Rodgers, Wilson, or Watson. I know people will say we don't operate like that, Ballard won't mortgage the future, but things change. Irsay is mad. His seat might be hot. We all know you need an elite quarterback to win in this league. If we get one Wentz is cut and gone cya later.

Theres a good chance but not 0 chance we wont be able to get any of these 3 guys. So plan B I think would be roll with Wentz but get a solid veteran backup like Trubisky or Minshew mania, Wentz will be on a very short leash. If he sucks, in goes the new guy.

Worst case scenario we regress again next season and we end up in a position to draft a QB and we are clear of Wentz contract. Probably would get a new HC in that scenario as well.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Not committing to him is just an acknowledgement that he hasn't convinced them beyond doubt. However, when the raw emotions have settled down, they will evaluate if his issues can be corrected and if they can re-load and go again with him at QB again. IMO, a lack of commitment is not the same as evisceration. That is how I look at it.

I don't know, there is no way this isn’t Philly 2020 all over again.

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

Heres what I think. Ballard is going to seriously look into the possibility of somehow acquiring either Rodgers, Wilson, or Watson. I know people will say we don't operate like that, Ballard won't mortgage the future, but things change. Irsay is mad. His seat might be hot. We all know you need an elite quarterback to win in this league. If we get one Wentz is cut and gone cya later.

Theres a good chance but not 0 chance we wont be able to get any of these 3 guys. So plan B I think would be roll with Wentz but get a solid veteran backup like Trubisky or Minshew mania, Wentz will be on a very short leash. If he sucks, in goes the new guy.

Worst case scenario we regress again next season and we end up in a position to draft a QB and we are clear of Wentz contract. Probably would get a new HC in that scenario as well.

We don’t have the draft picks.

3 minutes ago, NDWentzFan said:

My biggest question for Wentz is what can he improve and what numbers can you expect to go up.  Some of his numbers for hte season look good and some numbers for the season look bad.  If you remove the eyes he had a very strange season...

Bad Stats: 

62.4 Comp %  Needs to improve by making the "lay-up" but what do we expect here?  Like he is a career 62.6 Comp % with a caeer high of 69.6 so what would be good for him?  65-66?  

6.9 Yards Per Pass Attempt.  This needs to approve but how much can it approve?  His career is 6.8?  So what can it be 7.2-7.4?  

Good Stats:

27 TDs -  That places him 10th in the NFL in TD passes?  Do we expect him to be better than top 10?  How much better?  

7 INTs-  I think that is top 5 in the NFL.  Can get much better than that but if he tries to improve the bad stats does this increase and would it be worth it?   Also this number had a ton of luck involved can we count on that next year? 

54.4 QBR - Ranks 10th in all of the NFL in QBR.  Tied with Joe Burrow and just under Dak.  This is good and was much higher before the last two weeks.  

94.6 RTG -  Ranks 13th in all of the NFL.   Around Carr and Allen.  

He did some good things in the 4th and some bad things in the 4th.

He made some crazy bad throws.

He made some crazy good throws.

My biggest question how much better can he really be and how much better do we need him to be?  9-6 after Cardinal game everything was sky high then we **IT the bed.   

his mental game needs to improve for him to be elite . go watch the tape from this season guys were wide open but wentz would focus on his first progression and force the throw .   on his pick vs the jags he had two guys wide open about 8 yards deep and throws it 20 yards to a mo with a defender stand right in front of him .   franks scheme were getting guys open wentz has to be able to isolate the defense he should of looked at the line backer saw him going deep and threw it to the wide open spot .  

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Offense had leads in 4th quarter. Defense gave up way too many points in 4th quarters and didn’t have pass rush to close games out.

Quit making excuses for Wentz. Look at the break down of TOP in the 4th too. Often, our Offense would sputter out or turn the ball over. Putting the D on the field at the end of game for long periods of time... repeatedly

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

This is what I think will happen also.  Watson is still iffy because he has a bunch of legal stuff he needs to handle first then I need something from the NFL saying he wont be suspended before I dump a ton of draft capital on him.   

I don't see anything in FA or draft that would be an upgrade but I think VET compeition will be brought in. 

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Ballard said exactly this. He was asked if his issues can be fixed. He said they haven’t even started evaluating yet. I believe he also said that Reich will make that decision on whether things can be fixed.

I am laughing at people who said he trashed him. That isn’t what happened.

1 minute ago, NDWentzFan said:

This is what I think will happen also.  Watson is still iffy because he has a bunch of legal stuff he needs to handle first then I need something from the NFL saying he wont be suspended before I dump a ton of draft capital on him.   

I don't see anything in FA or draft that would be an upgrade but I think VET compeition will be brought in. 

There is also no way on earth the Texans trade him within the division.

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Quit making excuses for Wentz. Look at the break down of TOP in the 4th too. Often, our Offense would sputter out or turn the ball over. Putting the D on the field at the end of game for long periods of time... repeatedly

They can both be at fault. Defense was close to bottom at most points allowed in 4th quarter. It doesn’t have to be just one side. How about defense being so bad in 4th that it puts a ton of pressure on the offense to score every time. You guys want everything to be black and white. It isn’t. You can’t blame one side of the other.

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Ballard said exactly this. He was asked if his issues can be fixed. He said they haven’t even started evaluating yet. I believe he also said that Reich will make that decision on whether things can be fixed.

Just like you can have a flair for the dramatic going the other way :thmup:, some folks can swing it against what you believe. That is just how forums work.

I prefer to stay in the middle. I also believe that is what people in positions of power need to be, to not overreact and make a measured decision without being knee jerk.

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

his mental game needs to improve for him to be elite . go watch the tape from this season guys were wide open but wentz would focus on his first progression and force the throw .   on his pick vs the jags he had two guys wide open about 8 yards deep and throws it 20 yards to a mo with a defender stand right in front of him .   franks scheme were getting guys open wentz has to be able to isolate the defense he should of looked at the line backer saw him going deep and threw it to the wide open spot .  

Oh I agree with that he left a lot on the table that is why his stats are so confusing to me.  Eye test and certain stats say he was bad and then certain stats says he was near top 10. 

I don't know how much better his mental game can be at this point.   They could dumb it down some more and make the checkdown the second read in his progression for all passing plays.   That may force him a little but I am not sure if he can make that change or not.  He hasn't made it in 6 years.  He just maybe a QB that ranks from like 10-15 every years.  Makes some crazy plays other QBs can and make some stupid plays other QBs wont. 

4 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

no way the texans ever trade watson to a division rival .    i think green bay and seattle will keep their guys .  i just dont see a option to upgrade this year .   i rather ride with wentz and if he still stinks he will help us get a franchise QB in 2023 . if we miss the playoffs we can trade up for a QB and fix the problem .   i rather tank next year for a chance at a elite guy than go 9-8 every year

Leadership is playing the fans emotions right now and giving them what they want to hear.  95% sure Wentz will be back and our starting QB.  This is too close to breaking through to be on our 5th QB in 5 years.  They will add weapons to both sides of the ball.  Maybe a veteran is signed to push Wentz but that would be a poor use of cap space.  They will check the market and see it’s too expensive then add players that will put us over the top.  We are literally 2-3 players away from the top seed in AFC.  No way they blow this up 

1 minute ago, NDWentzFan said:

Oh I agree with that he left a lot on the table that is why his stats are so confusing to me.  Eye test and certain stats say he was bad and then certain stats says he was near top 10. 

I don't know how much better his mental game can be at this point.   They could dumb it down some more and make the checkdown the second read in his progression for all passing plays.   That may force him a little but I am not sure if he can make that change or not.  He hasn't made it in 6 years.  He just maybe a QB that ranks from like 10-15 every years.  Makes some crazy plays other QBs can and make some stupid plays other QBs wont. 

That is one thing you cannot work around, the lack of a floor from a QB. You may not get the ceiling every time but you need to get the floor every time, IMO. They have to decide if Wentz is capable of giving them a good floor.

Just now, chad72 said:

Just like you can have a flair for the dramatic going the other way, some folks can swing it against what you believe. I prefer to stay in the middle. I also believer that is what people in positions of power need to be, to not overreact and make a measured decision without being knee jerk.

I agree.  All we learned is that Colts aren’t willing to commit to Wentz as the starter for next year as of right now.  They are going to see what’s out there decide what’s their best option which one of them is Wentz returns as the starter.  As much as people want an answer right now one way or another we are going to have to wait and see.

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Any bets that Wentz is cut before his roster bonus is guaranteed?

How do you think Carson interpreted Chris’s comments?

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Ballard talked a lot about how sometimes you need short term answers to get you by until you find the long term. What he doesn’t realize if he can’t find the long term soon hil and Reich will be gone. Like he said today for a team to have consistancy you have to find the long term QB.

I am pretty sure he realizes it but he also knows if they just commit to Wentz if they don’t think he’s the answer he is going to be gone too.

Just now, IndySouthsider said:

He needs the Colts as much as the Colts need him at this point. Tannehill took advantage of his second chance. Wentz knows this is his last chance and if he can't get it done in 2022, assuming they give him another go, he will be riding the backup choo-choo train like Trubisky and Dalton. 

2 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

I think that His bonus is guaranteed either right before FA or right after. So it won’t happen if at all until that time. Because they won’t cut him unless they have a answer.

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Offense had leads in 4th quarter. Defense gave up way too many points in 4th quarters and didn’t have pass rush to close games out.

Our kicker missed how many kicks vs Baltimore. He makes just one they win despite finishing the game with corners they signed off the street that week. 

Wentz turned the ball over multiple times the second half vs Tampa. 

They lose to Tennessee partly because Wentz won’t take the check down and throws the Int when he had two guys open. Lewis turf monster play was huge too. 

Misses wide open TY vs Raiders. 

The defense isn’t responsible for all that. 

1 minute ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Our kicker missed how many kicks vs Baltimore. He makes just one they win despite finishing the game with corners they signed off the street that week. 

They lose to Tennessee partly because Wentz won’t take the check down and throws the Int when he had two guys open. Lewis turf monster play was huge too. 

I mean the defense just flat out feel apart vs the Ravens in the fourth quarter and OT.  They should have won that game even with the missed kicks so I am not giving the defense a pass for that one.  That’s a perfect example of multiple things can fail in a game.

1 minute ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Raider game is a bad example.  Moore got worked all day long by Renfroe and Franklin missed an easy sack on Carr to stop the drive from happening.  Defense left a lot to be desired down the stretch of the Raider game also. 

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Everyone is which is why most people want Wentz to be the answer.  However, this performances provides evidence he might not be.

I am at the point can we just let reich have the same QB for two years instead of making a knee jerk reaction after a year. Next year they can cut bait.  At least let’s see what happens year two. Unless something behind the scenes is happening where he isn’t working hard or players hate him. Just get to year two. To me it would be a knee jerk reaction after a year where their wasn’t even a TC for him. A lot of small details never got worked on because of that. 

2 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Wentz got them in FG position twice in Baltimore. Missed kicks.

Just now, Wentzszn said:

I am at the point can we just let reich have the same QB for two years instead of making a knee jerk reaction after a year. Next year they can cut bait.  At least let’s see what happens year two. Unless something behind the scenes is happening where he isn’t working hard or players hate him. Just get to year two. To me it would be a knee jerk reaction after a year where their wasn’t even a TC for him. A lot of small details never got worked on because of that. 

They might.  We don’t know what’s going to happen yet, we just have to wait and see.

5 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

I would argue with a hobbled D they did their job most of Sunday. They held the jags out of the end zone and field goals often when put in bad position. They needed help from the offense. The offense was run by a guy who has a terrible head for the game.

After reading every single comment in this thread about how fans have "filtered" what Ballard said, I truly expected some attitiudy stuff. What I watched, was a GM who gives a %, takes responsibility for his own actions, and gave as much info as he could to hint at what the future brings. 

He is an intense guy who is grinding to get the Colts elevated. Love what I see. 

27 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

I would argue with a hobbled D they did their job most of Sunday. They held the jags out of the end zone and field goals often when put in bad position. They needed help from the offense. The offense was run by a guy who has a terrible head for the game.

What game were you watching? The D was put into position to close out several games this year and couldn't. How many 3rd and longs did they give up last week and for the season for that matter. Absolutely 0 pass rush.

Archived