Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard Press Conference

IrsaysArmy

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Wentz's time to throw last week was 2.88....

Cousins was 3.16..... 

Herbert 3.12

Tannehill 3.08

Mahomes 3.06

Wilson 3.05

Carr 3.03

Stafford 2.97

Prescott 2.93

Folks want to whine like babies about Wentz's TtT, but have zero clue how it compares. 

The only good QBs that are significantly under Wentz on a consistent basis are Brady and Rodgers..... two HoFers... 

Does Wentz need to get quicker, sure... But the whole narrative is overblown. Our OL sucked, and needs to be factored a lot more than Wentz's TtT.... 

Yet, many say our OL is bad. Just looking at those numbers, Cousins had the highest time to throw. Would you have the numbers for the season?

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Cousins was 3.16..... 

Herbert 3.12

Tannehill 3.08

Mahomes 3.06

Wilson 3.05

Carr 3.03

Stafford 2.97

Prescott 2.93

You left out other QBs' TtT numbers -- Brady was 2.45, Jimmy G 2.41, Josh Allen was low too.

Screenshot_20220115-160732_Chrome.jpg

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

You left out other QBs' TtT numbers -- Brady was 2.45, Jimmy G 2.41, Josh Allen was low too.

Screenshot_20220115-160732_Chrome.jpg

Wow Jimmy G. That verified what I think and his quick release. Allen doesn’t surprise me. Mahomes doesn’t either. With the way they extend plays it’s going to be longer. The more deep passes you throw it’s going to be longer too.

16 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Yet, many say our OL is bad. Just looking at those numbers, Cousins had the highest time to throw. Would you have the numbers for the season?

Here's MN's OL ranks/ratings for 2021

23. MINNESOTA VIKINGS (UP 2)

LT Christian Darrisaw | 71.8
LG Ezra Cleveland | 68.1
C Garrett Bradbury | 60.2
RG Oli Udoh | 54.7
RT Brian O’Neill | 73.7

Rookie Christian Darrisaw looks like a major addition to the line that will pay dividends going forward, the first Minnesota has had since it drafted Brian O’Neill on the other side of the line. Darrisaw finished with a 71.8 PFF grade after allowing 22 pressures in 11 games.

The tackles were the two best-graded members of the line, and the only two above 70.0 overall. O’Neill was the lone Vikings lineman to play snaps this season who earned a pass-blocking grade above 65.0, and that is where Minnesota’s biggest area to target improvement needs to be.

7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Wow Jimmy G. That verified what I think and his quick release. Allen doesn’t surprise me. Mahomes doesn’t either. With the way they extend plays it’s going to be longer. The more deep passes you throw it’s going to be longer too.

Jimmy G had one of the best OLs (#9 protection rank), and best pass catching groups (#3 supporting cast efficiency), yet still is pretty mediocre. 

That said, he's a decent fit into Reich's scheme. But he's be a game manager, not much more. And he wouldn't be near as effective with out WRs.... 

In short, no grazie

16 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Jimmy G had one of the best OLs (#9 protection rank), and best pass catching groups (#3 supporting cast efficiency), yet still is pretty mediocre. 

That said, he's a decent fit into Reich's scheme. But he's be a game manager, not much more. And he wouldn't be near as effective with out WRs.... 

In short, no grazie

His quick release helps his oline too. Just like rivers oline did.

CB just do the obvious: QB. LT, pressure rusher, safety and/or CB, WR takes the top of Defense.

Yes, we can cover 3 of these needs in one year, and the rest next year. But to go into this season with no proven pass rusher or WR thats dependable and can take top off defense is inexcusable---no Paris is not the answer btw.

How embarrassing it must have been getting chewed out by Jim Irsay, immediately flying back to Indy following a loss in which you got manhandled by the worst team in the NFL. Both Ballard and Reich needed someone to finally rip into their * and remind them that if they don't get their act together fast that both guys could be headed to the unemployment line in the near future. We all know Jim Irsay is more than willing to allow Chris Ballard to spend whatever it takes to lure guys to Indianapolis in free agency. You gotta stop being so stubborn and not be afraid to spend a little more of Irsay's money to seal the deal. You have a ton of talent on this football team and cap space to make enough moves to add enough talent at key positions to take this team not only to the playoffs, but their first AFC title in nearly a decade.

19 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

We all know Jim Irsay is more than willing to allow Chris Ballard to spend whatever it takes to lure guys to Indianapolis in free agency. You gotta stop being so stubborn and not be afraid to spend a little more of Irsay's money to seal the deal.

Jim Irsay has lots and lots of money. But even with all the money, he doesn't get to change the Salary cap.

21 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

You have a ton of talent on this football team and cap space to make enough moves to add enough talent at key positions to take this team not only to the playoffs

Why do you believe this team has both talent AND salary cap. What might have created that opportunity?

2 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

How embarrassing it must have been getting chewed out by Jim Irsay, immediately flying back to Indy following a loss in which you got manhandled by the worst team in the NFL. Both Ballard and Reich needed someone to finally rip into their * and remind them that if they don't get their act together fast that both guys could be headed to the unemployment line in the near future. We all know Jim Irsay is more than willing to allow Chris Ballard to spend whatever it takes to lure guys to Indianapolis in free agency. You gotta stop being so stubborn and not be afraid to spend a little more of Irsay's money to seal the deal. You have a ton of talent on this football team and cap space to make enough moves to add enough talent at key positions to take this team not only to the playoffs, but their first AFC title in nearly a decade.

My feelings on Ballard are well know lol. What really amazes me is his comments on Nelson. I believe he said they are going to sign him and some people wont like that. How do you commit this early? You never know, he  may have a down year and/or injuries may take their toll. To me, Ballard says to much to the media. He should never have called out Wentz like he did. That needs to be discussed behind the curtains. Reich handled it best but Ballard to me is kind of a phony.  You look at the teams left in the play offs and they all have tons of skill players  and I would bet a large chunk of their cap is not invested in the Oline.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

My feelings on Ballard are well know lol. What really amazes me is his comments on Nelson. I believe he said they are going to sign him and some people wont like that. How do you commit this early? You never know, he  may have a down year and/or injuries may take their toll. To me, Ballard says to much to the media. He should never have called out Wentz like he did. That needs to be discussed behind the curtains. Reich handled it best but Ballard to me is kind of a phony.  You look at the teams left in the play offs and they all have tons of skill players  and I would bet a large chunk of their cap is not invested in the Oline.

It’s not early. He could of been extended after 2020 if he wanted to. But yes I agree on the Wentz stuff.

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

It’s not early. He could of been extended after 2020 if he wanted to. But yes I agree on the Wentz stuff.

When you come out like he did, he has committed to Nelson. Lets say Nelson wants over $20 million next year. He has kind of painted himself into a corner. I think the decision should not be cut and dry as whether they resign him.

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

When you come out like he did, he has committed to Nelson. Lets say Nelson wants over $20 million next year. He has kind of painted himself into a corner. I think the decision should not be cut and dry as whether they resign him.

Ballard knows how much Nelson will cost. You don’t think he has been talking with his agents for awhile? 

Darrisaw was available when Ballard picked.

Ballard passes on him with the excuse that "Darrisaw was not a true pass blocker" or something like that.

Clearly a huge miss by Ballard.

Sorry Colts fans. We're going to have to delay gratification again

20 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Darrisaw was available when Ballard picked.

Ballard passes on him with the excuse that "Darrisaw was not a true pass blocker" or something like that.

Clearly a huge miss by Ballard.

Sorry Colts fans. We're going to have to delay gratification again

I take a pass rusher over a tackle any day. The question is though is Paye going to be that special rusher or just a good DE. 

On 1/15/2022 at 1:55 PM, EastStreet said:

Cousins was 3.16..... 

Herbert 3.12

Tannehill 3.08

Mahomes 3.06

Wilson 3.05

Carr 3.03

Stafford 2.97

Prescott 2.93

Folks want to whine like babies about Wentz's TtT, but have zero clue how it compares. 

The only good QBs that are significantly under Wentz on a consistent basis are Brady and Rodgers..... two HoFers... 

Does Wentz need to get quicker, sure... But the whole narrative is overblown. Our OL sucked, and needs to be factored a lot more than Wentz's TtT.... 

You are right, time to throw is an important factor.  The Colts need to get their o-line issues resolved. I just feel like Wentz panics too easily when the pressure comes. Also, watch the breakdown that Kurt Warner did of Wentz for the Jacksonville game (Can be found on Youtube). Over and over again on tape you can see that Carson is not reading the defenses correctly. He misreads before the snap, and doesn't have his eyes where they need to be to recognize adjustments. This causes him to hold the ball a fraction too long resulting in sacks. Wentz consistently bypasses open or easy check-down throws which would get the ball out of his hands quicker and (many of which would have put the ball in Taylor's hands), in favor of throwing into tight windows downfield. This is mostly because he misreads the defense pre-snap, or worse yet, reads the defense correctly and elects to make the ill-advised throws anyway. When I watched the Jacksonville game on TV, I kept saying that somebody has to be open. There is no way that Jacksonville all of the sudden became a great cover-team overnight. When you watch the tape you can see that the receivers are open, but Wentz doesn't see them time and time again.

6 minutes ago, philba101 said:

You are right, time to throw is an important factor.  The Colts need to get their o-line issues resolved. I just feel like Wentz panics too easily when the pressure comes. Also, watch the breakdown that Kurt Warner did of Wentz for the Jacksonville game (Can be found on Youtube). Over and over again on tape you can see that Carson is not reading the defenses correctly. He misreads before the snap, and doesn't have his eyes where they need to be to recognize adjustments. This causes him to hold the ball a fraction too long resulting in sacks. Wentz consistently bypasses open or easy check-down throws which would get the ball out of his hands quicker and (many of which would have put the ball in Taylor's hands), in favor of throwing into tight windows downfield. This is mostly because he misreads the defense pre-snap, or worse yet, reads the defense correctly and elects to make the ill-advised throws anyway. When I watched the Jacksonville game on TV, I kept saying that somebody has to be open. There is no way that Jacksonville all of the sudden became a great cover-team overnight. When you watch the tape you can see that the receivers are open, but Wentz doesn't see them time and time again.

This is the most disturbing part of Wentz’s game.  Still happening after coaching and years in the league.  This is why I think they might be tempted to make a move.  Still too early yet with so many potential changes that will take place in the coming weeks ahead but definitely on the table I would think.  Of course a real upgrade needs to be available.  The cost benefit has to be there along with the talent.  So tough analysis coming for sure.

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

This would be interesting because jags have a good DE and are expected to take another one with the top pick.

He would just need to hire the right OC.   Flus is getting a lot of interviews.  Could be the year.   Their owner has moved quickly in the past. 

9 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

This would be interesting because jags have a good DE and are expected to take another one with the top pick.

Would be interesting to see what Flus would do with talent on defense.  Of course, he won't be DC in Jax.

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Zach Hicks has a story with possible replacements. One is with in the organization. I will puke if that happens. Others are guys who have no experience. One another LB coach. Can we at least try and get a guy that is proven a little bit if Eberflus leaves.

Ballard and Reich should be getting a request ready for Schwartz.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Yes

I would be looking at teams  who have really good pass rush too. Who is the dline coach on SF. One of the colts podcasters brother is the dline coach on the rams. Yes those two teams have great players but let’s at least get someone in who can evaluate dline talent properly. I would say Titans have a good pass rush and not much there so that would be s good person to look at.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I would be looking at teams  who have really good pass rush too. Who is the dline coach on SF. One of the colts podcasters brother is the dline coach on the rams. Yes those two teams have great players but let’s at least get someone in who can evaluate dline talent properly. I would say Titans have a good pass rush and not much there so that would be s good person to look at.

Yup and Frank has ties with him back at Philly.  We know how that works.

1 hour ago, philba101 said:

There is no arguing Wentz had a bad game vs Jax.

But there is also no arguing that our OL was plain awful too.

Same with DL and DB. 

14 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Quenton Nelson is the best LG in the league and is well on his way to being a future Hall of Famer at this rate. When it comes to getting contracts of one of the pillars of your franchise you should never look to hold off on it and try to get a deal done as soon as possible once you reach that window to start negotiating. The market is set with the last guy at your position that got paid and the longer you wait and the more contracts that get done before you pay a guy like Nelson who clearly will be the highest paid guard whenever a deal is done. The longer Ballard waits, the more Nelson will command. I think he just wanted to let everyone know Quenton Nelson is a Colt and he's not going anywhere.

Archived