Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich Presser

EastStreet

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The market overvalued the Colts relative to what they are.  

the spread was too high but the fact that it was a blow out to maybe the worst team in the league is what made it such a bad loss.  they got destroyed all year themselves and just made the colts look like a joke 

I think we made some bad big picture moves.  Carson was a mistake imo that wont take us far.  fisher a big mistake 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Gotta evaluate the compensation we give to:

Fisher

Moore

Kelly

TY

Doyle

Rhodes

Hines

Grover

Together, they account for a pretty good chunk of cap space.

TY and Doyle will probably be gone. Rhodes most likely too. 

Rhe Hines thing is so weird. Reich just failed . To even call plays for him. Grover is defintly one to evaluate. I think Fisher might be as good as gone.

1 hour ago, #12. said:

How do you show so much heart and determination in Arizona, down 9 starters, then show zero heart the final two weeks with the playoffs on the line?  

What in the hell?

I feel silly. After that game, I said the team showed the kind of heart to go on a Super Bowl run. They then proceeded to show absolutely no heart against the next 2 opponents. Foot. In. Mouth for me :D

3 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

the spread was too high but the fact that it was a blow out to maybe the worst team in the league is what made it such a bad loss.  they got destroyed all year themselves and just made the colts look like a joke 

I think we made some bad big picture moves.  Carson was a mistake imo that wont take us far.  fisher a big mistake 

We are going to rile with Wentz. Rheee is no other options. You build better around him. We can’t keep recycling quarterbacks. And found to get a old guy is not the answer. If we keep failing to get skill players it doesn’t matter who you go get. 

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Gotta evaluate the compensation we give to:

Fisher

Moore

Kelly

TY

Doyle

Rhodes

Hines

Grover

Together, they account for a pretty good chunk of cap space.

Sorry….   But NONE of those are viewed as bad contracts.    They may not be great, but they’re not bad.    The closest might be TYH. 

In my 10 years here, this is one area where fans get things consistently wrong.   Contracts.   Always way too high or way too low.   Now combine that with a terrible loss,  and things get grossly distorted.  

Nothing looks good after a terrible loss. 

2 minutes ago, GoHorse1992 said:

I feel silly. After that game, I said the team showed the kind of heart to go on a Super Bowl run. They then proceeded to show absolutely no heart against the next 2 opponents. Foot. In. Mouth for me :D

No reason for you to feel silly.

Most of the country said and felt the same as you after that game.

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, I get this game was a surprise to some (but a lot of us knew it would be at least tough)  The market overvalued the Colts relative to what they are. 

I mean that its not that bad about what it meant to us in the know.  9-8 and just missed the playoffs is actually about right.

Ballard probably knew this too. He wanted to see what the young pass rushers had. We have some expiring contracts and possible retirements coming on the offense so it’s his move now.

3 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

There weren't many options other than getting Carson.  The Colts were pretty desperate to get a veteran QB.  I thought Andy Dalton should have been in the convo, but everybody wanted the guy who would take us to the SB.  The roster wasn't/isn't good enough for that kind of thinking, IMO. 

Not many options other than Fisher either.  Nobody here was real confident in leno either.  LVR took The LT from Bama, and Darrisaw has concerns.

A GM can only work with the universe of players that are available, and Ballard just had to find a vet QB and LT before the draft last year.

7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

TY and Doyle will probably be gone. Rhodes most likely too. 

Rhe Hines thing is so weird. Reich just failed . To even call plays for him. Grover is defintly one to evaluate. I think Fisher might be as good as gone.

Just looking at the positions/areas that struggled and seeing how much those guys are getting paid.  Sadly, I have to think vet minimum players at most of those positions could have had as much impact.

I like Doyle, but Kelly and Hines are hard to explain.  Hines was used less, but didn't do a whole lot when he was targeted. 

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

There weren't many options other than getting Carson

I would have tried to trade up for jones or fields and gone younger.  they might need some time, we need time anyway.  brady would have been a good option too.

CB keeps getting passes for qbs after luck retired but he chose this route 

tackle was a tricky one when AC retired 

Just now, DougDew said:

There weren't many options other than getting Carson.  The Colts were pretty desperate to get a veteran QB.  I thought Andy Dalton should have been in the convo, but everybody wanted the guy who would take us to the SB.  The roster wasn't/isn't good enough for that kind of thinking, IMO. 

Not many options other than Fisher either.  Nobody here was real confident in leno either.  LVR took The LT from Bama, and Darrisaw has concerns.

A GM can only work with the universe of players that are available, and Ballard just had to find a vet QB and LT before the draft last year.

They didn't just "find" a vet QB. Wentz was a concerted decision. So was Fisher. Ballard worked with him in KC. I don't necessarily blame the FO and HC for wanting to work with guys they knew, but let's not pretend this wasn't planned. 

In the end, taking any vet QB for a year without giving up a 1st would've actually been the preferable option. This might sound like hindsight, but it isn't. Loads of people thought Wentz was a risk to handicap us.

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry….   But NONE of those are viewed as bad contracts.    They may not be great, but they’re not bad.    The closest might be TYH. 

In my 10 years here, this is one area where fans get things consistently wrong.   Contracts.   Always way too high or way too low.   Now combine that with a terrible loss,  and things get grossly distorted.  

Nothing looks good after a terrible loss. 

I didn't speak to the contracts but more about what their cost was this year relative to production.

Its not a one loss thing.  Its how they played the entire year.

Doyle was fine...but he's rolling off.  Kelly restructured and is ultimately a keeper.  All the others seem clearly overpaid for the work they did this year, IMO.

54 minutes ago, Myles said:

Reich needs to be held accountable for this teams collapse.  

They didn’t play hard last week or this week. Total lack of effort seen on the first series of the game. Poor tackling, soft coverage, dropped passes,  lack of blocking, passes off target, and suspect play calling again. This team has 7 pro bowl players yeah right. This was a total team loss with a lack of effort and determination. This bunch has no fire in their bellies. This team needs leadership in all phases from coaches to players. 

2 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I would have tried to trade up for jones or fields and gone younger.  they might need some time, we need time anyway\.  brady would have been a good option too.

CB keeps getting passes for qbs after luck retired but he chose this route 

tackle was a tricky one when AC retired 

But as I said before, I don't think a GM can go into the draft with only Eason on the roster.  Hoping that the draft falls the right way or that other teams don't jump you or ask for the moon to trade up is a really risky strategy, IMO. 

The question was which vet do you sign or trade for, remember?  Stafford, Foles, Trubisky, Dalton, Wentz?

I give Ballard a pass.  There is only so much talent in the available pool, how can he get a QB that isn't there?

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Trying to find the vid, but it was milk served with soggy toast. 

"we'll need to reflect" lol

Will post as soon as it's up

Right now I'm not interested in anything he has to say.  This kind of collective collapse, poor effort, and lack of urgency  is inexcusable.  

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The question was which vet do you sign or trade for, remember?

it really should have been Brady two years ago, that put them in a tough spot this year.

I still prefer making an aggressive move in the draft over what they did with wentz.  I was pretty quiet about it but i never liked move and wouldnt have had him on my list period

hes not awful but i dont see the ceiling with him.  He has the physical talent to be good but he makes a lot of weird decisions and throws that are just off

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I didn't speak to the contracts but more about what their cost was this year relative to production.

Its not a one loss thing.  Its how they played the entire year.

Doyle was fine...but he's rolling off.  Kelly restructured and is ultimately a keeper.  All the others seem overpaid for the work they did this year, IMO.

I think some underperformed like Kelly, who clearly played hurt and was not himself all year.   His PFF grades say that. 

But I think the issue with a player like Hines is not a player issue, I think it’s a coaching issue,   For reasons I don’t understand we mostly didn’t use Hines very much for much of this season.   I. Don’t.  Know.  Why?

So I see usage as an issue with a number of players.   One I hope we address and fix this off-season.   I think this off-season-season just went from fascinating to terrifying in two weeks.  Seriously. 

17 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

They didn't just "find" a vet QB. Wentz was a concerted decision. So was Fisher. Ballard worked with him in KC. I don't necessarily blame the FO and HC for wanting to work with guys they knew, but let's not pretend this wasn't planned. 

In the end, taking any vet QB for a year without giving up a 1st would've actually been the preferable option. This might sound like hindsight, but it isn't. Loads of people thought Wentz was a risk to handicap us.

What do you mean planned?   Rivers and AC retired at the end of the year.  

The only decisions to make were, do you go with Leno or Fisher, Wentz or some JAG vet?

Good thing we did not rely on the draft.  All of the OTs were taken, remember, and the ones who were there are RTs not LTs.  And NE took Jones at 15.  Did anybody say that we should have traded up for Mac Jones? LOL.

And there is no reason to think at this point that Fields will be any better than Wentz.  None.

Yeah, Ballard had a plan.  To make the best decision from very limited options.

Andy Dalton for less than a 1 would have been preferable.  But everybody laughs at Dalton.

20 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

We are going to rile with Wentz. Rheee is no other options. You build better around him. We can’t keep recycling quarterbacks. And found to get a old guy is not the answer

Just take a second to look at what you post before hitting send.....

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think some underperformed like Kelly, who clearly played hurt and was not himself all year.   His PFF grades say that. 

But I think the issue with a player like Hines is not a player issue, I think it’s a coaching issue,   For reasons I don’t understand we mostly didn’t use Hines very much for much of this season.   I. Don’t.  Know.  Why?

So I see usage as an issue with a number of players.   One I hope we address and fix this off-season.   I think this off-season-season just went from fascinating to terrifying in two weeks.  Seriously. 

I agree about the use of Hines.  However, can you replace him?  And how much impact does a punt return have these days....too many illegal blocks...most teams just fair catch.  That's one thing that he is good for, just sort of schemed away by the entire NFL.  In the end, he's young and only $6million, so he's not a real issue.

Blame playcalling or system all you want guys. Carson Wentz was the real problem. He thinks his style is explosive chunk plays so he forgets about all the underneath stuff. Carson Wentz is a bad NFL quarterback. Skip bayless is right, he is Carson Wince. Unless someone bonks him on the head and turns him into a different person, this is who we are stuck with for the forseeable future....

1 hour ago, #12. said:

How do you show so much heart and determination in Arizona, down 9 starters, then show zero heart the final two weeks with the playoffs on the line?  

What in the hell?

Some of them starters are the problem ala , kelly , fisher etc…

33 minutes ago, Coltsbluefan said:

Will Mr.Irsay do something,it ultimately will be his call if anyone is fired.

Its Irsay’s call on Ballard and Reich.   But anything lower than that — coordinators and position coaches —  will be decided by Reich and Ballard.   Irsay will likely stay out of this.  He will trust his GM and HC to make those calls.  

That said….  I expect change on the staff on both sides of the ball. 

6 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

Blame playcalling or system all you want guys. Carson Wentz was the real problem. He thinks his style is explosive chunk plays so he forgets about all the underneath stuff. Carson Wentz is a bad NFL quarterback. Skip bayless is right, he is Carson Wince. Unless someone bonks him on the head and turns him into a different person, this is who we are stuck with for the forseeable future....

After the last two weeks, the foreseeable future is one more year.  He’ll get 2022.  After that, there is zero financial damage to cutting him and moving on. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have to say Reich pulled a Kuuuuuush lmao . Frank Kush that is and Wentz pulled a Pagel.

Frank Kush used to get bologna sandwiches at one of his jobs.... And he so looked forward to them too......do you remember hearing about that.....

Camp Kush, I used to like him 

Archived