Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Jets at Colts Post Game Thoughts....

EastStreet

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That's fine.  I'm not married to Flus or any of the coaches, because I think talent on the field matters more.  Were not at the NBA level, but usually the best teams in sports are the best because they have the best players, not because of in-game coaching decisions.  JMO.

But Ballard will add some DBs next year.  And then the new coordinator will be coaching new players, with Blackmon and Willis possibly healthy and Dayo and Paye producing more than Turay et AL, and folks will say what a big difference a new coordinator makes.

Rock is 6' 200+ lbs and ran a 4.5 something. He has the size and strength to be a good tackler against the run. That is the Ballard prototype.
 Against a bigger WR maybe that works. Against smaller, quick WR's that run a good route, it is pitch and catch the ball down the field. 
 Rhodes won't be back IMO. I have some $$ to bet what position our 2nd rd pick will be.

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

We need to keep Hines and Taylor on the field together.  This causes deception.  They complement each others' strengths and weaknesses.

Our D did well enough when it mattered AGAINST THE JETS.  We lack personnel to be very effective in any scheme IMO.  The future of the D rests on Dayo and Paye's shoulders.  We don't generate enough pressure and we have NO ONE good in coverage and maybe not anyone even average in coverage.  No pressure, no coverage=No good   Darius does punch the ball out all the time, but he is part of the coverage issue.  We can't guard a parked car.

#8 for the Jets looks like a good player. 

The Jets had a few really good looking kids.
  Appreciate your honest look at things.

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

We have another pygmy to kill next week and I hope we are ready to slay giants the two after that. 

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I love this post. 

Probably not the reason you'd agree too though. At least part of it. 

Draft picks. A lot. No change. Still hope from last class though. Need to rely a lot on KP/Dayo though.

A big, very big FA. No big change in 2 years (not saying he is not good)

Let 3 key F7 FAs go. They are all doing better in their new homes.

To your last bolded above, it was our O, not our D that kept us in it. Rivers was gangster, our D was hands up wuss.

Not giving up yet, I'll be die hard till we're below 5%. Our pass D sucks though. If you disagree, just please, please provide a factual or thoughtful response lol. I know we disagree, and you know I love ya. Just want a serious answer. 

I agree, the one thing I have been critical of about this team is their Pass D over the last 2 years. Something has to change. I think we beat the Jags next week but then we play at Buffalo. Assuming we do get to 5-5 we then get another chance to try to prove we can beat very good to great team. It will be interesting. Our Pass D was so terrible against the Ravens that it was embarrassing, Lamar is a great QB but that was pathetic blowing that lead the way we did. He just kept throwing down the middle and we cover couldn't anyone, Andrews I believe it was looked like Gronk in his prime.

49 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The two best players playing up some downs is no coincidence, they are the two best players.  And RYS should not be one of two best players in a properly talented nickel secondary, JMO.

My guess is that if we had more talent, they would not play so much cushion.

I still wonder what a DC could do to put Oke, Odum, and Sandejo in better positions to succeed more in the passing game.

The opponent is on scholarship too.  Kudos to the Jets OC for calling a good game, and the players for not making blatant drops.  And #8 Moore looks like a very good player in the making.

I think I like the Jets backup QBs better than ours.

tatan-baby-tatan.gif

14 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

They need to get rid of this tampa 2 scheme....folks actually thought ballard was gonna copy seattle's scheme lol but far from that and I think this defense would do better with a cover 3 scheme

We aren't just a tampa 2 defense. We are a really a combo of zone cover 2/3. We play alot of both. Prime example of us in cover 3 is the TD that Rhodes gave up last night

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree, the one thing I have been critical of about this team is their Pass D over the last 2 years. Something has to change. I think we beat the Jags next week but then we play at Buffalo. Assuming we do get to 5-5 we then get another chance to try to prove we can beat very good to great team. It will be interesting. Our Pass D was so terrible against the Ravens that it was embarrassing, Lamar is a great QB but that was pathetic blowing that lead the way we did. He just kept throwing down the middle and couldn't anyone, Andrews I believe it was looked like Gronk in his prime.

We should have beat Buffalo last year. Rivers played out of his ace. Our D didn't. 

I'll keep hoping till it's futile. lol

2 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

We aren't just a tampa 2 defense. We are a really a combo of zone cover 2/3. We play alot of both. Prime example of us in cover 3 is the TD that Rhodes gave up last night

No they was in a 2 deep shell on that play....they run more cover 2 and cover 1 than anything 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

We should have beat Buffalo last year. Rivers played out of his ace. Our D didn't. 

Phil wasn't the reason why we lost no doubt. He was good all year for the most part (his stats and wins back that up). I think Wentz is playing good as well but it is tough to win games when your D continues to give up 30 or more points a week against the better teams like the Ravens and Titans. We gave up 30 last night as well. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Phil wasn't the reason why we lost no doubt. He was good all year for the most part (his stats and wins back that up). I think Wentz is playing good as well but it is tough to win games when your D continues to give up 30 or more points a week against the better teams like the Ravens and Titans. We gave up 30 last night as well. 

If I had to guess (I'm getting ready to look), Wentz just had his best game of the year, and will be back to top 10ish QBR and PR.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

If I had to guess (I'm getting ready to look), Wentz just had his best game of the year, and will be back to top 10ish QBR and PR.

He was playing great against the Titans until the 2 INT's happened. The only game he struggled in was at Tennessee and he was playing injured is why. He even got  us into position to win the Ravens game at the end but our kicker missed.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Phil struggled early in the season but improved and played well down the stretch . What is frustrating is wentz stats are way better so far after 9 games and is on pace for over 30 touchdowns . We improved at QB but the team took a massive step back on defense and pass protection . 

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

Phil struggled early in the season but improved and played well down the stretch . What is frustrating is wentz stats are way better so far after 9 games and is on pace for over 30 touchdowns . We improved at QB but the team took a massive step back on defense and pass protection . 

I think our O.Line is getting it together, they have been injured, they looked dominant last night. The Pass D is a huge concern. At least Wentz has had Taylor at his best all season, it took Taylor about 7 or 8 games last year to get it going. 

24 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think poor coaching cost us those two games.  Giving up double digit leads late in both games.  Happening too often.  

56 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Rock is 6' 200+ lbs and ran a 4.5 something. He has the size and strength to be a good tackler against the run. That is the Ballard prototype.
 Against a bigger WR maybe that works. Against smaller, quick WR's that run a good route, it is pitch and catch the ball down the field. 
 Rhodes won't be back IMO. I have some $$ to bet what position our 2nd rd pick will be.

I'd like to have a deep threat WR to keep defenses honest about the running game.  I think we have to hope that PC stays healthy again for another year because I think that secondary help is a bigger need.  Either corner or FS.

And good zone corners and FS can be had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, (maybe not ready week 1 of their rookie season) so that lines up well with our capital.

51 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

tatan-baby-tatan.gif

I didn't see a Like so I assume this response is sarcastic?

If Flus had Gilmore and Ramsey, do you think he would recognize that or is he just too damm stupid to know how to call anything other than a soft zone?

To me this was the epitome of Frank Reichs thought process and why the Colts cannot and will not beat good teams. I imagine this was his thinking:

Okay we've got 3:30 seconds left in this game and we have a 15 point lead. Our running game has been unstoppable and has 250 yards. The Jets know we're going to run to make them use their timeouts and end this game. BUT they know we know they know so they'll expect the run so we're gonna pass. 

The inevitable passing attack shows up, Wentz takes 2 needless monster hits and we used 26 seconds and left the door open for the Jets. Who cares if they know what's coming, make them stop it. 

2 hours ago, Breeze said:

I liked what I saw from the front 4 last night.  Got good pressure, and were able to disrupt before getting gassed in the 4th.  But there was never a 5th blitzer, and I don’t believe they stunted at all.  All the OL had to do was use their 5 guys to hold off our 4.  No creativity at all.  Mind blowing since we had a huge lead and against a 4th stringer.  We were able to move the QB out of his comfort zone but there was nobody there to clean it up.  

They got pressure for 2 1/2 quarters against an offensive line that (I believe) ranks in the lower 3rd of the league. Against winning teams, the story has been fairly consistent--no pass rush to really speak of. That will be a problem when it counts. Far too many times, WR's and TE's are wide open, and that should not be happening. It's a deficit of pass rush, talent (in the secondary) and scheme/playcalling. I'm not sure all these things can be fixed this season. I hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Yeah, me too. I learned that with the Atlanta Braves this year. The Titans indirectly threw us a bone with the Derrick Henry injury so I feel we have somewhat of a shot of catching up because of good luck in that regard. I went through worse with the Braves for 81 games never going above .500 before the trade deadline. Anything can happen. You make the playoffs and you have a shot. My new thought process now that I've had the positive experience of my Atlanta Braves winning the WS. This is at least a good team. So we can root for something with some positivity.

8 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

To me this was the epitome of Frank Reichs thought process and why the Colts cannot and will not beat good teams. I imagine this was his thinking:

Okay we've got 3:30 seconds left in this game and we have a 15 point lead. Our running game has been unstoppable and has 250 yards. The Jets know we're going to run to make them use their timeouts and end this game. BUT they know we know they know so they'll expect the run so we're gonna pass. 

The inevitable passing attack shows up, Wentz takes 2 needless monster hits and we used 26 seconds and left the door open for the Jets. Who cares if they know what's coming, make them stop it. 

Just like I said in my initial reaction:

We’re a good enough offense to just line up and execute. No need to over-complicate things and try to outsmart everyone. In fact, we’ve seen that get us in trouble plenty this season. The run game was dominant, they couldn’t stop it even knowing it was coming, and even if they did just run the damn clock down, punt the ball away, take the win, and get on to the next one. 

Imagine if Wentz had been injured on one of those unnecessary drop backs. But don’t worry, there’s a “that’s on me” for that. 

We didn’t have to get it last night, but I guess it’s still on the table for the future. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

From all of last year's snaps... C3 the most. On 3rd, quarters or qqh.

Yeah that's only in certain situations cover 3 needs to be the base defense they use tampa 2 majority of the time when they have the lead like they did last night

1 hour ago, Mr.Debonair said:

They need to get rid of it completely 

10 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Still too much cute nonsense for my taste from Frank. The TD to Pinter was nice and all, but it’s exactly like I said in the game day thread: this offense is legit. We don’t need to line up and try and use trickery, gadgetry, or just flat out gimmickry to make plays. We’re good enough to line up and just beat defenses straight up. 

I honestly think the gadget plays are mainly used to get those plays on film and become something opposing DC's have to be aware of. Now that we threw a TD pass to Pinter, him lining up as eligible (which he does fairly often, but just as a 6th blocker) means defenses now have to account for the possibility that Pinter could go out for a pass. It'll pull some degree of coverage his way, freeing up the WRs/TEs.

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Why the need to get cute with Sam in that situation. JUST NO... RTDB (with a RB)...

I didn't mind most of the gadgetry, but I didn't care for that one too much. Maybe it sets up a pass from Sam that the defense assumes will be a run?

1 hour ago, DougDew said:
  • Gadget plays near the goal line were ok.  That was a good time to experiment, and give future teams something to think about.  Never liked spreading the QB out wide, why teams do that over the years I'll never get.  The snap to HInes RPO with Taylor was innovative, but not blocked very well.

Absolutely agree.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:
  • Consider that the pass rush ran out of gas in the 4Q.  Paye, Dayo, and Stallworth were good, but the lack of quality rotational players got them winded too much.

I think the quick TD by Taylor, the long Jets drives, then multiple 3 and outs by our offense left the defense completely gassed.

58 minutes ago, Nickster said:

#8 for the Jets looks like a good player. 

He's really good and I think will be a top 10 WR in the next few years if he has solid QB play. He's pretty athletic/explosive and his technique is fantastic. If he was a few inches taller, I think he would've easily been a 1st round pick. He had some comps to Antonio Brown and I think those are pretty spot on.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think our O.Line is getting it together, they have been injured, they looked dominant last night. The Pass D is a huge concern. At least Wentz has had Taylor at his best all season, it took Taylor about 7 or 8 games last year to get it going. 

The problem it might be to late now . With 5 losses and still have to play the bucs ,bills , cardinals, raiders , patriots . We would have to beat every team we should beat plus go 4 and 1 or at least 3 and 2 to have a chance will hoping teams lose out .  This season has been a massive let down .

4 minutes ago, Shive said:

I honestly think the gadget plays are mainly used to get those plays on film and become something opposing DC's have to be aware of. Now that we threw a TD pass to Pinter, him lining up as eligible (which he does fairly often, but just as a 6th blocker) means defenses now have to account for the possibility that Pinter could go out for a pass. It'll pull some degree of coverage his way, freeing up the WRs/TEs.

I didn't mind most of the gadgetry, but I didn't care for that one too much. Maybe it sets up a pass from Sam that the defense assumes will be a run?

Absolutely agree.

I think the quick TD by Taylor, the long Jets drives, then multiple 3 and outs by our offense left the defense completely gassed.

He's really good and I think will be a top 10 WR in the next few years if he has solid QB play. He's pretty athletic/explosive and his technique is fantastic. If he was a few inches taller, I think he would've easily been a 1st round pick. He had some comps to Antonio Brown and I think those are pretty spot on.

My kid plays receiver and is having a little issue with the genetics as far as quickness goes on routes, and I've been trying to get him to work on that snap down technique instead of the old school, outmoded shimmy.  that is the first thing I saw from that Jets kid and told Nickster, Jr. "that is how you do that man."  His tech is awesome.  

Nickster, Jr. knows a lot more about personnel not on the Colts and college guys than ole Nickster and was telling me he was a pretty high draft pick.  

Talent + Technique =  Stud

8 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

The problem it might be to late now . With 5 losses and still have to play the bucs ,bills , cardinals, raiders , patriots . We would have to beat every team we should beat plus go 4 and 1 or at least 3 and 2 to have a chance will hoping teams lose out .  This season has been a massive let down .

We are 4-2 last six games. If all that stuff didn’t happen in camp we would of got out to a much better start.

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

My kid plays receiver and is having a little issue with the genetics as far as quickness goes on routes, and I've been trying to get him to work on that snap down technique instead of the old school, outmoded shimmy.  that is the first thing I saw from that Jets kid and told Nickster, Jr. "that is how you do that man."  His tech is awesome.  

Nickster, Jr. knows a lot more about personnel not on the Colts and college guys than ole Nickster and was telling me he was a pretty high draft pick.  

Talent + Technique =  Stud

I didn't have the help with genetics either when I played receiver in HS and also didn't have the technique, so I wasn't all that good...lol.

AJ brown said that Moore is better than he was when he was drafted and said he'd be OROY because nobody has the speed, technique, and hands that Moore has. I think we got a good glimpse of what he can do last night.

4 minutes ago, Shive said:

I didn't have the help with genetics either when I played receiver in HS and also didn't have the technique, so I wasn't all that good...lol.

AJ brown said that Moore is better than he was when he was drafted and said he'd be OROY because nobody has the speed, technique, and hands that Moore has. I think we got a good glimpse of what he can do last night.

I'd never heard of him, but it was really a cool watch.  Wish we had him.  He'd be a great complement to MPJ. 

No talent + No technique= Not a stud

You know how some offenses have a passing game coordinator to focus on receivers and how to gameplay for defensive coverages. Maybe we need like a coverage coordinator to focus on the secondary and how to gameplan for opposing passing games. I'm just spitballing ideas because something needs to be fixed.

17 minutes ago, Shive said:

What has concerned me though is the apparent lack of trust in the jumbo short yardage power runs up the gut.  Frank seems to avoid those.

I think it might be because, IIRC, JTs fumbles have come when he is in a pile fighting for more yardage.  And we know that Hines is not a short yardage back.  And there isn't enough chemistry to throw fade routes.  Only Pittman is the true RZ target, maybe Cox but I wouldn't trust him yet.  Still have some holes in the roster/active game day roster, IMO, and I think it shows up in goal line situations. 

43 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Lots of teams play zone defense. When I look at ours I don’t know what they are trying to accomplish. Last night was worse then prevent.

All teams play zone at some point. It's a gross over simplification to point at our D and say the whole issue it's because it's 'zone'. For sure there's a discussion about the zone vs man weighting, what shells we show/use, blitzing rates, and all round schematic concepts, but just wildly saying zone D is ineffective isn't really saying much.

There was a lot of bad/sloppy execution last night, and dare I say lack of effort in the 4th. Busted coverages aplenty which suggests players were either not understanding their responsibility, or handing off opponents correctly (when in zone).

3 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

He had a nice CUT BACK in the hole on a well blocked play but the MISMATCH came once he got into the secondary and used his speed in the open field. Just because THAT particular run up the gut worked this time for Hines (after many unsuccessful attempts this season) doesn't mean that it puts him in the BEST situation to utilize his skill set.

Hines was more effective last year with Rivers who used Hines similar to the way he used Sproles in San Diego by getting him into space which gave defenses nightmares. Last year Rivers used more check downs, swing passes and screens which allowed Hines to do his thing against one on one matchups.

Wentz on the other hand likes to push the ball downfield and RARELY uses the check down. I believe that's the very reason Frank has called for more runs up the gut for Hines is to keep him involved ESPECIALLY with his new salary as one of the top paid RUNNING backs in the league. Nothing wrong with getting him touches but get him to the edges with more off tackle runs and sweeps to utilize his speed. I'll give Frank credit last night because it seems like a more concentrated effort was placed on the screen pass to Hines.

Rivers is the greatest thrower to backs all time IMO.  Better than TB in that category.  I predicted vociferously that PRs departure would affect Hines negatively. 

Short throws aren't as easy as they look.  Very little margin for error actually in order to actually gain yds. by hitting the man on the run. 

He had a nice CUT BACK in the hole on a well blocked play but the MISMATCH came once he got into the secondary and used his speed in the open field. Just because THAT particular run up the gut worked this time for Hines (after many unsuccessful attempts this season) doesn't mean that it puts him in the BEST situation to utilize his skill set.

Hines was more effective last year with Rivers who used Hines similar to the way he used Sproles in San Diego by getting him into space which gave defenses nightmares. Last year Rivers used more check downs, swing passes and screens which allowed Hines to do his thing against one on one matchups.

Wentz on the other hand likes to push the ball downfield and RARELY uses the check down. I believe that's the very reason Frank has called for more runs up the gut for Hines is to keep him involved ESPECIALLY with his new salary as one of the top paid RUNNING backs in the league. Nothing wrong with getting him touches but get him to the edges with more off tackle runs and sweeps to utilize his speed. I'll give Frank credit last night because it seems like a more concentrated effort was placed on the screen pass to Hines.

Rivers is the greatest thrower to backs all time IMO.  Better than TB in that category.  I predicted vociferously that PRs departure would affect Hines negatively. 

Short throws aren't as easy as they look.  Very little margin for error actually in order to actually gain yds. by hitting the man on the run. 

EDIT:  BTW.  I have no idea why posted in triplicate. 

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

Some defenses adapt and do different things well, but many of the best do not.  Tampa early 2000s stayed in T2 almost exclusively.  Legion of Boom in Seattle were almost always in the same C3.  The Bears 46 was pretty much the same most times too.  Always in man and always blitzing. 

Balt does some different stuff, but mixing coverages and stunting, etc. isn't always the solution.  The best defenses have often been vanilla.  Now very good like French vanilla, or like that bean vanilla stuff or the vanilla custard you can get at culver's

It's usually personnel that makes the difference.  Brady was on Peyton and Eli and each man said they had trouble v. the vanilla TB and SEA D's more so than the really complex ones.

Our greatest concern is one of personnel IMO. 

When you're truly great it doesn't matter about showing your hand so much if they can't beat you. The defensive equivalent of the halcyon days of Manning where teams could know our playbook but still couldn't stop the plays. 

I think we are starting to see flashes from Paye and Dayo. That is very good news. Ballard has to fix the secondary and Eberflus needs to go. Get a couple upgrades in the secondary. Add a vet pass rusher and get Wentz another weapon I think we will be on our way to being a much better team. Those things don’t seem too hard to fix in the offseason.

Offseason moves 
1. Vet Pass Rusher
2. Fix secondary 
3. Big time WR
4. Fire Eberflus 
These things don’t seem like they will be hard to fix in the offseason.

Get Fisher, Reed, and Pryor signed. MAC and Pascal probably need resigned too. If Lewis heals well bring him back. I think everyone else can hit FA.

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

I really wish they'd covert Rock to FS or SS.  He's probably best suited for SS, but we have guys that can do that.  We really need a FS that can cover behind.  Blackmon hasn't proved he's going to be able to do that, and didn't improve in the games he was in this year as far as I could tell.  He'd probably make a better FS.  Rock should have better cover skills than Blackmon.  

I just don't think RYS is all that valuable as a CB.  I really want him to be good because he's a wrestling man.  Just not fast enough to play corner IMO.   Seems clear. 

2 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

When you're truly great it doesn't matter about showing your hand so much if they can't beat you. Inverse of the halcyon days of Manning where teams could know our playbook but still couldn't stop the plays. 

And defense is best played when players can react and not have to think.  That's when the talent takes over and looks truly great.  

The Flex the Boys ran back in the day was really complex for a couple of players but allowed the MLB to wreak havoc, and that was when the MLB was probably the most important player on the field.

Other than that, most of the greatest D's generally are not all that diverse.  They just have studs running around reacting and being studly. 

Archived