Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What will see from Dez tonight?

EastStreet

What will see from Dez tonight?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What will see from Dez tonight as far as snaps are concerned?

• Under 20%
    • 20-40%?
    • 40-60%
    • 61% or more
    • not at all
  2. 2. How will Dez be mostly used?

• Outside in a Z type role (with Pittman on the outside too as X)
    • Outside at X (with Pittman playing slot or Z type routes)
    • Inside at big-slot
    • Mostly in just a limited/specialized way (ie "go-route")
    • won't get snaps tonight

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/05/2021 at 12:20 AM

Personally hoping they use his speed AND size. 

Using just his size in possession routes aren't really optimizing strengths over weaknesses (unless he's changed things).

I don't care what position he plays, although I'd love to see him and Pittman both outside, with Patmon playing a big motion Z type guy. 

Not sure he's physical enough to play X and slot type possession routes. But we've tried to make speed guys into possession guys before... uh.

I went 20-40, but I think low 20s.

I said Z type, but that's more wishful thinking personally.

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I think they could switch Dez And Pit around throughout the game. Dez was also very good on those crossers in the preseason. He probably won’t get many snaps. Plus Carson would have to trust him and they just haven’t played together enough.

I'm sure Dez has practiced for a few weeks at minimum. 

Just now, EastStreet said:

I went 20-40, but I think low 20s.

I said Z type, but that's more wishful thinking personally.

I want to see 20-40%, but went with 20% just because I don't see him stepping into that many snaps after missing so much.

I said Z too, but I agree that it's wishful thinking.

10 minutes ago, SchlicterSZN said:

I don't think he's taking many snaps away from Dulin, Pascal, or Pittman.

Also, has he ever been called "Dez" before, or is this another Jackrabbit Jenkins scenario....lmao

I'm shamefully wondering who this Dez guy is to be honest. 

20 minutes ago, Shive said:

I want to see 20-40%, but went with 20% just because I don't see him stepping into that many snaps after missing so much.

I said Z too, but I agree that it's wishful thinking.

I really wonder how much he's been practicing lately. There was no rush to bring him back, so they could have just kept him on IR for longer than really needed, just to save a space. So my conspiracy theory is that he's been ready for month, and just hidden. 

So with that in mind, I think he takes a lot of snaps from Dulin, and ends up around 25%. With TY out (TY and Dulin combined for about 75% of snaps last week), I think he might get that opportunity (for 25%). Dulin will still get 25+% though.

If he can run routes at all (I'd be disappointed if he can't after a year + in the system), no reason to not let him run some Z routes. He's fast enough, and it's not like Hilton wasn't already running possession type route anyway when healthy. Patmon in motion, some slants, and skinny posts or posts shouldn't be too hard, and it lets him be a stride catcher instead of just a possession guy. 

17 minutes ago, SchlicterSZN said:

I don't think he's taking many snaps away from Dulin, Pascal, or Pittman.

Also, has he ever been called "Dez" before, or is this another Jackrabbit Jenkins scenario....lmao

Colts tweets call him Dez. I can start calling him Dadpat if you'd prefer lol..

Don't be surprised if he eats into Dulin's snaps tonight. We don't have TY, and didn't elevate Coutee. So either Dez or Strachan should get decent snaps tonight, and Strachan is more a pure X.

Nothing would surprise me. I'd love to see some biggly line ups like...

X - Strachan 

Slot - Pittman

Z - Patmon

Yummy

6 minutes ago, life long said:

I'm shamefully wondering who this Dez guy is to be honest. 

He's the late round WR that everyone fell in love with last year that didn't play, as opposed to the late round WR that we took this year, that hasn't played. 

4 minutes ago, Stephen said:

We need better wrs

We needed the ones we had to stay healthy. Seems like every year out good WR get injured. Not much you can do when two of your starters are injured.

Personally I would like to see Patmon and Strachan put into bigger roles. Let’s see what they can do. Doesn’t  do much if they aren’t getting many snaps. Let them sink or swim.

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Nothing would surprise me. I'd love to see some biggly line ups like...

X - Strachan 

Slot - Pittman

Z - Patmon

Yummy

He's the late round WR that everyone fell in love with last year that didn't play, as opposed to the late round WR that we took this year, that hasn't played. 

Given the Jets' bad run D, I would fancy you would get your wish from the point of view of run blocking more than anything else.  :) 

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Given the Jets' bad run D, I would fancy you would get your wish from the point of view of run blocking more than anything else.  :) 

That's what I kind of figure. 

But what is normally obvious stuff, seams not to happen at times this year lol... 

14 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

We needed the ones we had to stay healthy. Seems like every year out good WR get injured. Not much you can do when two of your starters are injured.

Personally I would like to see Patmon and Strachan put into bigger roles. Let’s see what they can do. Doesn’t  do much if they aren’t getting many snaps. Let them sink or swim.

In our current situation, we still need a traditional Z type. Surprised Coutee wasn't called up.

We more or less have 4 X or bully slot tweener type guys (Pitt, MS, DP, ZP), and one guys with traits for Z or traditional slot (Dulin). And that guy with slot/Z traits hasn't really been used that way.

Perhaps tonight they will turn Dulin lose on more Z type stuff, or Dez? 

IDK.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Personally hoping they use his speed AND size. 

Using just his size in possession routes aren't really optimizing strengths over weaknesses (unless he's changed things).

I don't care what position he plays, although I'd love to see him and Pittman both outside, with Patmon playing a big motion Z type guy. 

Not sure he's physical enough to play X and slot type possession routes. But we've tried to make speed guys into possession guys before... uh.

Did i miss something? Is he playing tonight for sure?

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Personally i believe Patmon could be our #2 receiver. Hes got the speed, size, and his hands appear to be pretty reliable. Ballard did say they envisioned him playing on the outside. Hope everything goes well tonight!

How do you see him fitting into the scheme, and from a X, Z, bully or traditional slot perspective. And how does that impact the other guys on the roster.

41 minutes ago, life long said:

Idk why that didn't click for me. 

Took me a lil while too.  I saw him with Pittman on field and that triggered.

i just hope Car has a good game , hands it  to Jon and Ny , and let our D, led by Leo and Kenmo , handle their bizzniss.

5 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Took me a lil while too.  I saw him with Pittman on field and that triggered.

i just hope Car has a good game , hands it  to Jon and Ny , and let our D, led by Leo and Kenmo , handle their bizzniss.

Yeah hopefully Franky out coaches Bobby today.

19 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I thought so.

I do believe both those guys were developed and used wrong though. 

Meh 

I don’t get excited about low Rd draft picks until they actually produce during games, and for a sustained period of time. 

I think P. Garçon was the last Colts WR to qualify.

3 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Meh 

I don’t get excited about low Rd draft picks until they actually produce during games, and for a sustained period of time. 

I think P. Garçon was the last Colts WR to qualify.

I saw Cain play in person a few times in college. He was great in space. We was never used him like that. We tried to turn him into a possession guy. I agree there was "hype" that might have been overblown, but there was absolutely some early chemistry with Luck when he was first drafted, and the team and media helped the hype along. Bad timing after 2018 as there was not much opportunity for "in-space" or go routes with JB. We'll never know lol....

I do think overall we've had some good late round prospects, but they've done some very strange things in terms of development with them.

Archived