Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What's the problem?

joeb

One thing that has stood out to me this year, is that week in and week out, our offensive players, in postgame pressers, have noted that opponents have had wrinkles and looks on defense that the team wasn’t prepared for.  

That’s what coaches are paid to do - prepare and scheme.  But it seems our coaches aren’t anticipating these different looks.

In big games, it seems that getting outcoached is always a topic of conversation here as well.  I don’t think this staff is very impressive compared to top staffs in the league.

35 minutes ago, joeb said:

Please tell me what's the real problem with this team?  We are so close yet we fall short. 

Frank calling plays like Carson is our best play instead of calling game like JT is the best player. If frank treated JT like titans treat Henry we would have 3 more wins 

Multiple issues from my view

- Defense is not where it needs to be especially defending the pass to be able to beat good teams.  This is a pass first league and has been for quite some time now.  At the end of the day, if a team has a weak pass rush and soft coverage, it is not going to be so good defensively regardless of how they defend the run.  

-  Going along with the first point, the offense is neither consistent or explosive enough to be able to consistently play or win shootout type games that happens when the defense plays and schemed as it currently is.  This type of defense workewhen you had a Peyton Manning at QB because his units (especially from 2003 on) were so consistent game to game that very few teams could keep up even no matter how open the underneath stuff was.  

-  The lack of drafted impact level players despite spending 2nd round draft capital at both WR and D-line is starting to be felt.  Need playmkers especially in those area.

- Irrational coaching especially with regards to offensive play calling, aggressive (or lack thereof in certain situations) and scheme with some of our coverage shleeels. 

It's not one or two things.  It's many things.  It's everyone from Ballard to Frank and on down.  It's just not coming together.  

Get the next two, get to .500 and reset for a wild card push.  That's all you can do.

1 hour ago, joeb said:

Please tell me what's the real problem with this team?  We are so close yet we fall short. 

It's simple...not enough good players at offensive skill positions...especially WR and TE.  It requires 1st, 2nd rounders not 6th, 7th and UDFAs who we hope will develop in time (many years).

3 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

It's simple...not enough good players at offensive skill positions...especially WR and TE.  It requires 1st, 2nd rounders not 6th, 7th and UDFAs who we hope will develop in time (many years).

True, but even with that we have chances to win, but our coaches are awful.  Period.  Have no clue what's going to happen.  If you didn't know Tannehill was going to run the ball on 4th down you should be fired as an NFL coach.  Period.  My god what are we doing with mediocre coaches? Irsay may be senile because this GM coaching combo is awful and he is talking about 2 Super Bowls and gives them extensions.  Reich's 4th year and Ballard's 5th and both have a losing record.  Experiment over.  It's time to cut ties with someone.  There are serious issues in the front office and no one seems to notice this.  Ballard is mediocre at best and Reich is awful and Irsay thinks they are gold.  I am at a loss.  I really am.  And even some on here still defending this garbage.  It's unreal how bad this football team is getting,  And it's getting worse each year.  The Colts are going backwards or sideways.  They are not getting better.

53 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

One thing that has stood out to me this year, is that week in and week out, our offensive players, in postgame pressers, have noted that opponents have had wrinkles and looks on defense that the team wasn’t prepared for.  

That’s what coaches are paid to do - prepare and scheme.  But it seems our coaches aren’t anticipating these different looks.

In big games, it seems that getting outcoached is always a topic of conversation here as well.  I don’t think this staff is very impressive compared to top staffs in the league.

I am really starting to think preparedness, full understanding of self and opponent, good gameplan (with options and backup plans), and an understanding of situational football leaves a little to be desired.  
  Its those 6 or so plays a game.  Its the shot to brown after the lewis fumble. Its the pressure on our 8 which led to Wentz int.  

Ive played alot of golf.  Some really good golf. Club champion caliber.  A few years ago, my scores dropped.  I noticed less “great shots”.  Figured out it wss GPS related.  I’d know i had 140 to front, 152 to flag, and 170 to back.  Simple.... hit it 152.   But i lost the “FEEL” i factored into every shot.  I may wanna hit 155 and draw back, i way wanna hit 140 and skip it back.   FEEL.  Dropped tge gps except for odd yardages and game came back.

I see similaities with our team.  There just seems to be a lack of situational awareness and feel at times.   Important times.  We create turnovers and have some offensive success.  Enough success to compete with anyone.  But there always seem to be a few key moments that , in many cases, we create ourselves.

Im not sure how you fix “feel”.  You either have it or you dont.

An example may be in our fast starts.   Most likely SCRIPTED .  We seem to have trouble adjusting thruout game, which points to feel and awareness as well.  

21 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

This is the way i was leaning. We have to move on from Campbell and TY. It pains me to say it's over for Ty but it is. Campbell that's enough of him too. Doyle done too. Moe allie upgrade needed. Basically the whole receieviving corp needs to be upgraded along with the secondary. Other than that not too bad. We are stuck with Wentz.

Reich needs to hand over playcalling duties and focus on becoming a good head coach.  I think he has potential as a HC but needs to realize that having playcalling duties is simply too much for him.  

Realize that Hines is a gadget player, not a true RB so stop trying to use him as one.  We could have the best 1-2 punch in the league with Taylor and Mack.  They should get 30 carries per game combined minimum, leaning the majority towards Taylor in most cases.

Frank also needs to realize that analytics do not account for things like momentum and player psychology.  I've beat this drum before...going for it on 4th on the third drive completely changed momentum and gift wrapped the game back into the titans' hands.

It’s not “A” problem.  It’s a combination of things.  If it was just one problem it would be easy to identify and fix.  

In general they have an issue with play calling and decision making, some key injures, a few key draft picks at key positions not working out, and a playing a defense that depends on getting pressure with the front four but having a front four that can’t put pressure on the other team.

23 minutes ago, J@son said:

Reich needs to hand over playcalling duties and focus on becoming a good head coach.  I think he has potential as a HC but needs to realize that having playcalling duties is simply too much for him.  

Realize that Hines is a gadget player, not a true RB so stop trying to use him as one.  We could have the best 1-2 punch in the league with Taylor and Mack.  They should get 30 carries per game combined minimum, leaning the majority towards Taylor in most cases.

Frank also needs to realize that analytics do not account for things like momentum and player psychology.  I've beat this drum before...going for it on 4th on the third drive completely changed momentum and gift wrapped the game back into the titans' hands.

OK we were on their 40 and it was 3rd and 2. if he knew he would go for it on 4th down why did he not run JT on the 3rd down. if he gain zero yards then i would have punted and pined them back or if the 3rd down play would have gain a yard/yard and a half then run it again

Roster wise, a lack of top level talent at important positions. Notably, receiver, DB and Edge. And now we also have a QB who everyone is scared will either get injured or make a terrible decision.

Pittman is our big hope, though. Think of the back breaking touchdown he had against the niners and the catch he had on the last drive in regulation. Truly difference making, special plays. Leonard on D has also provided this with the turnovers he's forced, but we simply need better talent.

The coaching is another story. I don't really know what to say about Reich and Eberflus at times. Because of my opinion on the roster, I'm not really sure how much more someone else could get out of it.

17 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

We desperately need a consistent pass rush with Four, and a another good DB,. With No pass rush - we need elite corners.

No you were right with the need for a pass rush.  That’s what this whole defense is based on.  Without it it’s garbage.  You can’t substitute it or hide it.  So having great conners will only go so far because without the pass rush sooner or later the defense will break down and someone will get open because it’s a zone.  

This whole defense depends on the pass rush making the ball come out quick and making the QB make bad decisions and taking advantage of it.  Without the pass rush this defense just doesn’t work.

3 hours ago, joeb said:

Frank Reich and his lack of feel for the game. He kills momentum with ill timed gambles.  Gets away from whatever seems to be working. And often gets too cute in the red zone when we should be just handing off to Taylor and letting the Oline block their butts off for him.  He does not use the talent on this roster effectively in my opinion or put this team in the best position to win.  

Archived