Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Titans at Colts Postgame Thoughts

EastStreet

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Thoughts:

Tennessee is a much better total team with a much better roster.  Has been for a few years.

Another bad game for Wentz.  Bad vision, bad foot work, too many 50/50 balls.  The Colts stayed close because of PI.

Although Wentz makes bad plays, he has very little to work with.  No receivers ( a theme for about 6 years now).  Pascal and Dulin are not even NFL quality.

The offense and play calling looks like a team that the opponent invites to throw the ball with a retread QB and Pascal and Dulin as receivers. 

Is Hines a RB or a WR?  If he's both, then he's neither.  A waste of $6M. 

Great defensive play call that put Lewis into coverage, it got the pick.

Can't blitz when you have no blitzers.

If Ballard fired Frank, he'd be the laughing stock of the NFL.  Firing a HC who has a retread QB, no receivers, no pass rushers, and no CBs, to work with would make Frank look like a scapegoat.

Agree. Even if Vrabel is same level as Reich, the Titans have a better roster period. I said this a while back and it came off as this unwarranted attack on Chris Ballard. Fact is, they have a better QB, better RB, better wide receivers and better pass rush today, and in the NFL all that matters is today.

Wentz needs to be under a governor for the next 5 years or so. Until he learns to play as a game manager. He has NEVER been more than that. For me, Reich's big mistake yesterday was playing Wentz as if he was Andrew Luck. Luck can handle 50 attempts with minimal error, Carson has never been that guy. The more weight you ask him to carry, the more it shows.

I'd fire Ballard before Reich, 100% of the time, that'd be my choice. He made mistakes in hiring coaches, his insistence on building a team to play bully ball is asinine in a league where passing is the key...the Colts cant pass, and cant stop the pass. This product is Ballard's dream.

Henry is done for the season, there's still hope. Honestly i had the Colts still making the playoffs, i think that's still the case.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Agree. Even if Vrabel is same level as Reich, the Titans have a better roster period. I said this a while back and it came off as this unwarranted attack on Chris Ballard. Fact is, they have a better QB, better RB, better wide receivers and better pass rush today, and in the NFL all that matters is today.

Wentz needs to be under a governor for the next 5 years or so. Until he learns to play as a game manager. He has NEVER been more than that. For me, Reich's big mistake yesterday was playing Wentz as if he was Andrew Luck. Luck can handle 50 attempts with minimal error, Carson has never been that guy. The more weight you ask him to carry, the more it shows.

I'd fire Ballard before Reich, 100% of the time, that'd be my choice. He made mistakes in hiring coaches, his insistence on building a team to play bully ball is asinine in a league where passing is the key...the Colts cant pass, and cant stop the pass. This product is Ballard's dream.

Henry is done for the season, there's still hope. Honestly i had the Colts still making the playoffs, i think that's still the case.

Only if we pull upsets versus bills, bucs, raiders. I think we can only afford one more loss

6 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

I disagree Luck couldn't handle 50 attempts either he would throw 3 or 4 ints. Our problem now is we have one good wr in Pittman , unhealthy Hilton near end of career and a bunch of guys who keep dropping the football

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Only if we pull upsets versus bills, bucs, raiders. I think we can only afford one more loss

I think we upset one or two of those teams. We need to stay healthy but i dont think those teams are beyond being upset. We will see.

9 hours ago, CR91 said:

Don't get me wrong. I like Wentz. I think he can win for us, but this team did everything to help him win today and he didnt get the job done. It's these type of games where Wentz has to make the necessary plays to lead us to victory especially for what we gave up to get him and what he is getting paid.

nonsense.  But maybe run precise routes and catch the _____ ball.
 Frank really opened up the offense, we can see the progress.
We apparently needed TY badly because Wentz couldn't hit Dullin or Mo-Allie at all. I would believe they were NOT where the were supposed to be and      they couldn't get separation at all.
 I am going to use My Brain and suggest Frank didn't think Taylors body could handle many more carries because he is a little beat up.
 Hines is ineffective because the line isn't dominating the line of scrimmage like we saw that last few seasons. Lets hope it gets better with Smith getting back into form soon. And he felt obligated to limit Mack for trade purposes.
 Wentz threw into triple coverage because HE isn't using his eyes to keep the safety away. Plain and simple on that play. And others.
 Wentz of course has to trust his receivers will run precise routes, that should help him with looking away. lol

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

I disagree Luck couldn't handle 50 attempts either he would throw 3 or 4 ints. Our problem now is we have one good wr in Pittman , unhealthy Hilton near end of career and a bunch of guys who keep dropping the football

INTs are not the be-all/end-all of good QBing. Can you make plays throwing 50 times? Luck could and would. Wentz threw 50x and the only plays he made deep were pass interference 'plays', Wentz has not shown me anything to suggest he can. He cannot carry a team on his shoulders, i just have trouble seeing it happen. He can manage a team perfectly when it's balanced i.e. built on running the ball, and he isnt having to be superman. 

24 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

I can't believe that people would think that we are equal to Tennessee.  They have been better ever since they got Tannehill.  Not saying that Tannehill is the sole reason, but that was about the time the team/roster put it all together.  I expect to be always looking up at Tennessee in the AFC South the next few years.

Yep.  He needs to be Rivers with a better arm.   Wentz seems to play every drive like the game is on the line right now.

I would not say fire, but Ballard is the problem before Reich is.  I'd like to see the team game plan and play with better talent at the positions that most GMs feel you need to have your better talent at.

This is a passing league.  And we have one competent/consistent receiving option.  Its been like that for years.

I think everyone would agree that Wentz was off against the Titans..  He missed several throws high and a lot of completions that were made the WRs had to go up to get them.  Frank should have seen that Wentz was off and called for more runs and RB passes to settle him down.  He did not.  It's called in game awareness.  If Frank was calling runs and Wentz still audibles to pass without a loaded box (most of time they were not) that's on Wentz.

The screen call in your own endzone was a BAD decision by Frank.  When the play was blown up Wentz should have just throw it at Moe's feet and live to play the next down.

This has been the Colts Achilles heal (pun intended) this year and what concerns me the most is that Frank does not learn from his mistakes and the Colts and it's fanbase continues to suffer as a result.

Joseph

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I can't believe that people would think that we are equal to Tennessee.  They have been better ever since they got Tannehill.  Not saying that Tannehill is the sole reason, but that was about the time the team/roster put it all together.  I expect to be always looking up at Tennessee in the AFC South the next few years.

Yep.  He needs to be Rivers with a better arm.   Wentz seems to play every drive like the game is on the line right now.

I would not say fire, but Ballard is the problem before Reich is.  I'd like to see the team game plan and play with better talent at the positions that most GMs feel you need to have your better talent at.

This is a passing league.  And we have one competent/consistent receiving option.  Its been like that for years.

I went into the season with a lot of faith in Pascal as a 3rd receiver.
He has proven himself IMO. But we just had to have Campbell and TY contributing to balance the offense. And of course Wentz would need a lot of practice and game experience to get in sink with them and the unit as a whole. We can see a difference just in the last 3-4 weeks. It's coming, but sadly we now have a receiver shortage. It's a BIG problem going forward.
 Pittman sure is maning up!!

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

So

• Started the year with
    • Out a lot of camp
    • Foot surgery / bone removal, then two sprained ankles... 
    • OL devastated by injury and musical chairs. He was the most hit QB in the league until last week.... 
    • Only one (Pittman) of three assumed starting WRs (Pittman, Campbell, TY) has been available consistently
    • Has needed to play hero ball because our pass D sucks... 
  • He's played well in more than just against bad competition. He's had 60+ QBRs in 5 of 8 games. If you're looking at current QBRs, 60 is 10th... So top 10... Those games were LAR, Balt, Houston, Miami, and SF. That's two good teams, 2 bad, and a medium. Two of those, perhaps 3, have good pass rushes / pass Ds. Only two were bad.
  • He's still top 10 (low INTs) despite the poor decisions tonight. He should have never been put into the position to throw a screen on the goal line. And we should have been running more all game, perhaps never putting him in the position of hero baller to throw the 2nd.
  • You're not getting the first back short of a season ending injury. 

But all of those excuses aren't really valid in Week 8. His injuries are healed up, the OL is all finally healthy and has been playing great anyways. 

And he was in a plus matchup against a beatable TEN defense/secondary (that was actually missing a couple of CBs). He even got to throw it 50+ times against them. And he fell flat...had his worst game of the year. Sure, they could have run it more, but this was Wentz's showcase game.

Also, he's not a top 10 QB...not by any measurement outside of INT %.

28 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Firing Reich would be a mistake. As much as it pains us, we were very competitive in both the Ravens and Titans games. The play calling and loss of feel for the flow of the game is what peeves most of us, due to which we feel Reich might benefit from a different play caller.

By that token, Andy Reid and the Chiefs got demolished vs the Bills and Chiefs, no one is calling for his head because his resume is longer and time tested, and that is the reason Reich should be HC but with play calling duties given over to the OC, IMO.

Yes, Ballard is a bigger problem because for all the emphasis of building through the draft, his miss rate on DL pass rushers is pretty significant for having swung at it so many times. Plus, not stocking the cupboard with better receiving options.

I see the Bengals having Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd, Joe Mixon and still going and getting JaMarr Chase. I see the Cowboys having Amari Cooper, Zeke, Michael Gallup, and still going and getting CeeDee Lamb. That is the reason Brady signed with the Bucs to begin with, plus the reason Rodgers and the Packers don't have enough SB appearances due to lack of firepower opposite Adams (when they had Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb in their prime, they went to the SB). Pretty soon the Chiefs will face the same issue without a guy opposite Hill and once Hill and Kelce are accounted for, no one beats 1-on-1s consistently, unless they magically become a ball control / running team, which is not in the Chiefs nature. Given the time in the pocket Wentz got, our window with this OL is not going to remain forever, better get some serious skill position improvements.

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Firing Reich would be a mistake. As much as it pains us, we were very competitive in both the Ravens and Titans games. The play calling and loss of feel for the flow of the game is what peeves most of us, due to which we feel Reich might benefit from a different play caller.

By that token, Andy Reid and the Chiefs got demolished vs the Bills and Chiefs, no one is calling for his head because his resume is longer and time tested, and that is the reason Reich should be HC but with play calling duties given over to the OC, IMO.

Yes, Ballard is a bigger problem because for all the emphasis of building through the draft, his miss rate on DL pass rushers is pretty significant for having swung at it so many times. Plus, not stocking the cupboard with better receiving options.

I see the Bengals having Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd, Joe Mixon and still going and getting JaMarr Chase. I see the Cowboys having Amari Cooper, Zeke, Michael Gallup, and still going and getting CeeDee Lamb. That is the reason Brady signed with the Bucs to begin with, plus the reason Rodgers and the Packers don't have enough SB appearances due to lack of firepower opposite Adams (when they had Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb in their prime, they went to the SB). Pretty soon the Chiefs will face the same issue without a guy opposite Hill and once Hill and Kelce are accounted for, no one beats 1-on-1s consistently, unless they magically become a ball control / running team, which is not in the Chiefs nature. Given the time in the pocket Wentz got, our window with this OL is not going to remain forever, better get some serious skill position improvements.

Andy Reid is getting HEAT this season. Tyrann Mathieu came out a couple days back calling Chiefs fans the most toxic in the league. Fans are saying Pat Mahomes needs to be benched. 

22 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Colts fans like to underrate TEN. Even this past offseason, when they clearly had the most talented team they have had during the Henry era. 

And Tannehill is a very under-appreciated QB. He was basically a top 5 QB the past year and a half. This year he has been making dumb throws. If he cleans that up, that passing offense will be strong, even without Henry.

42 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

INTs are not the be-all/end-all of good QBing. Can you make plays throwing 50 times? Luck could and would. Wentz threw 50x and the only plays he made deep were pass interference 'plays', Wentz has not shown me anything to suggest he can. He cannot carry a team on his shoulders, i just have trouble seeing it happen. He can manage a team perfectly when it's balanced i.e. built on running the ball, and he isnt having to be superman. 

I mean the balls were all catchable with some should of been caught anyways on those PIs and they were all clear PIs. So I don't think you can blame him for the CBs interfering with the pass. No QB should have to throw the ball 50+ times

Just now, Zoltan said:

I mean the balls were all catchable with some should of been caught anyways on those PIs and they were all clear PIs. So I don't think you can blame him for the CBs interfering with the pass. No QB should have to throw the ball 50+ times

The under thrown passes? Maybe Wentz consistently means to do that....you know, have his receiver come back to the ball rather than hit him in stride. To me, those are inaccurate throws but the defenders keep bailing him out. I can't credit Carson for those but i hear and can see the point you're making.

Andy Reid is getting HEAT this season. Tyrann Mathieu came out a couple days back calling Chiefs fans the most toxic in the league. Fans are saying Pat Mahomes needs to be benched. 

Talk is cheap, they need to show it on the field, not against the Giants on MNF tonight though it would be a start, let them show it against the Packers next week if they want to be taken seriously as a SB contender.

3 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

The under thrown passes? Maybe Wentz consistently means to do that....you know, have his receiver come back to the ball rather than hit him in stride. To me, those are inaccurate throws but the defenders keep bailing him out. I can't credit Carson for those but i hear and can see the point you're making.

Hey, Joe Flacco did it with Anquan Boldin all the time, and it worked during their SB run. It can't be relied upon all the time but if you have a big arm, as a WR, the least you can do is look back while the defender is not.

27 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I went into the season with a lot of faith in Pascal as a 3rd receiver.
He has proven himself IMO. But we just had to have Campbell and TY contributing to balance the offense. And of course Wentz would need a lot of practice and game experience to get in sink with them and the unit as a whole. We can see a difference just in the last 3-4 weeks. It's coming, but sadly we now have a receiver shortage. It's a BIG problem going forward.
 Pittman sure is maning up!!

Agree.

I'll let others talk about Ballard specifically.

Whether its injuries or talent, our QBs have simply not had as many receiving options ON THE FIELD during any given game than most playoff QBs.  

If someone wants to say. b--b---but PC and Granson can be ballers when they play, and Pascal has made some plays, and TY just needs to get healthy.  Blah blah blah.

It may be true.  But talking strictly about the game, why the team fails on offense so often, is because this team has lacked playoff caliber talent at the receiving positions ON THE FIELD for years.   Years.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Talk is cheap, they need to show it on the field, not against the Giants on MNF tonight though it would be a start, let them show it against the Packers next week if they want to be taken seriously as a SB contender.

Of course, the NFL is the ultimate 'what have you done for me lately' league....still, it's insane to call for Mahomes to be benched, its insane to call for Reid to be fired. 

2 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

By the way, i forgot to mention this. The officiating yesterday was deep inside the caverns of the world's biggest toilet. The zebras were absolutely garbage. Worst i've seen in a while.

Really bad on both sides IMO. Made for an ugly game.

4 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

This makes the loss hit ten times harder we would of been 1 game back with the Titans playing the rams without Henry 

For me it gives me hope because the titans run game drove their offense and they always played worse when they relied on Tannehill to take over instead of Henry. So with Henry out, Tannehill is gonna be relied on a lot more without having the security blanket of defenses having to worry about Henry. Without Henry I could see the Titans potentially lose 3 of their next 4 games (Saints, Rams, and Patriots).

6 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Of course, the NFL is the ultimate 'what have you done for me lately' league....still, it's insane to call for Mahomes to be benched, its insane to call for Reid to be fired. 

Yes, that is too much, but calling the entire fan base "toxic"?? Mathieu should just let their performance on the field do the talking, that is what I would do. Engaging and making things worse does not help him whatsoever.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Yes, that is too much, but calling the entire fan base "toxic"?? Mathieu should just let their performance on the field do the talking, that is what I would do. Engaging and making things worse does not help him whatsoever.

It was Mathieu and Anthony Hitchens who went in on the Chiefs fans. They feel the heat the most i.e. the defense. You're right, they have been terrible, record setting bad on defense. In the city, the defense takes the most heat but there've been a growing number of voices against Reid and Mahomes. It's insane. I've never seen a level of crazy like this. Calling for a potential GOAT QB to be discarded, it's insane but losing makes people talk nonsense.

2 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

It was Mathieu and Anthony Hitchens who went in on the Chiefs fans. They feel the heat the most i.e. the defense. You're right, they have been terrible, record setting bad on defense. In the city, the defense takes the most heat but there've been a growing number of voices against Reid and Mahomes. It's insane. I've never seen a level of crazy like this. Calling for a potential GOAT QB to be discarded, it's insane but losing makes people talk nonsense.

It is not just losing, it is the way they have lost to the Bills and Titans. Compared to that, the Colts were at least competitive vs the Ravens and Titans. The Chiefs were playing with no fire and purpose, it felt like.

9 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Agree. All definitely underthrown balls. Just look at the Pascal and Dulin plays in the TEN game. Both stopped their routes, and were contacted.

The SF game was a whole different level.

• The first Pitt DPI was a bit underthrown, but Pitt made a great play anyways and caught it.
  • Coutee DPI was really underthrown, so bad that the defender ran past the play and his hand got in Coutee's face.
  • Pitt DPI EZ throw was OOB and Pitt did a nice acting job 
  • The Pitt DPI near the EZ was so underthrown that Pitt had to stop.

Either it is intentional...or the WRs just adjusting to underthrown balls. I think it's a combination of the two. I have seen Pitt call for a flag a couple times recently. And in that SF game, he clearly was trying to draw DPIs.

But either way, you are correct that Wentz is getting bailed out. 

Right now, the Colts are far ahead of any other NFL team when it comes to benefitting from DPI yards. Actually, they have more in the past two games than any other team has all season. And it has created 1st and goal situations 4x in the past two games...which resulted in 28 points.

Doesn't seem sustainable at all. NFL refs watch the tape as well. They aren't going to always get those calls. And some of those underthrown balls will end up as INTs.

4 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Did anyone on the Titans have more than 2 receptions besides AJ Brown? That's what gets me every time. The number 1 Receiving threat always feasts on us.. our defensive skill doesn't seem to match the scheme. 

I'd like to think so. We had a couple good weeks, the media starts saying good stuff about us. We start feeling good about the Colts. Only to realize we've beaten

1-7 Dolphins

1-7 Texans

3-4 Niners :violin:

We'll feel good for the next couple weeks here in November (although the Jets did beat the AFC leading Bengal's) then I fully expect us to get smacked the f out against the Bills and Bucs. Let us up for a quick breather then back to the Pats, Cards, Raiders gauntlet. 2021 schedule sucks.. wth did we draw the Bucs on the first year of a RANDOM 17th game selection

Look at strength of schedule going back a few years. Colts basically only beat under .500 teams. It cracks me up how the old heads on here act like every time we beat a couple bottom feeders we are Superbowl bound.  

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It is not just losing, it is the way they have lost to the Bills and Titans. Compared to that, the Colts were at least competitive vs the Ravens and Titans. The Chiefs were playing with no fire and purpose, it felt like.

Sure they're going through a rough patch, Mahomes looks....human. However, the reaction has been way over the top. My wife, who isnt a football fan, asked me the other day what was wrong with Mahomes because all her coworkers were saying he needs to be benched and Reid needs to leave lololol. I nearly choked on my beer hearing all that. No matter how bad a year KC ends up having, the reaction is insane. Fans are insane. The Manning years taught me that much, when folks poopooed Peyton's achievements while lusting over what Belichick was doing. The whole 'star wars numbers' attitude. 

2 minutes ago, JediXMan said:
Still doesn’t excuse Wentz dumb play but how’s that not tripping.

That was one of the the worst officiating I’ve seen in a long time.

It is not cheating if you don't get caught, Vrabel learnt that from Belichick. :) 

Besides, you see Todd Bowles' DBs grab a lot and are one of the most penalized group in the NFL other than SF DBs. But if they do it 15-20 times and they get caught 5-6 times, it is worth it to them. That is how a lot of teams that push the envelope operate.

Sure they're going through a rough patch, Mahomes looks....human. However, the reaction has been way over the top. My wife, who isnt a football fan, asked me the other day what was wrong with Mahomes because all her coworkers were saying he needs to be benched and Reid needs to leave lololol. I nearly choked on my beer hearing all that. No matter how bad a year KC ends up having, the reaction is insane. Fans are insane. The Manning years taught me that much, when folks poopooed Peyton's achievements while lusting over what Belichick was doing. The whole 'star wars numbers' attitude. 

Dungy almost benched Peyton before the 14-35 comeback vs Tampa Bay Bucs, and almost did so when he threw 6 picks vs Chargers led by Cromartie and company. In both games, Peyton brought them back and Dungy's faith in them helped him right the ship though we lost the Chargers game with an AV miss. Yep, can't listen to fans. Demanding better play is one thing, calling for their heads is another. 

9 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Agree. All definitely underthrown balls. Just look at the Pascal and Dulin plays in the TEN game. Both stopped their routes, and were contacted.

• The first Pitt DPI was a bit underthrown, but Pitt made a great play anyways and caught it.
  • Coutee DPI was really underthrown, so bad that the defender ran past the play and his hand got in Coutee's face.

Either it is intentional...or the WRs just adjusting to underthrown balls. I think it's a combination of the two. I have seen Pitt call for a flag a couple times recently. And in that SF game, he clearly was trying to draw DPIs.

Right now, the Colts are far ahead of any other NFL team when it comes to benefitting from DPI yards. Actually, they have more in the past two games than any other team has all season. And it has created 1st and goal situations 4x in the past two games...which resulted in 28 points.

Doesn't seem sustainable at all. NFL refs watch the tape as well. They aren't going to always get those calls. And some of those underthrown balls will end up as INTs.

Exactly. If that's the strategy, it is not sustainable at all.

My only question is why did JT have 16 carries and Wentz threw it 51 times?  Even with everything that went on, JT gets more touches I bet we win that game.  I don't think Ballard is the problem.  Reich is.  We have lost at least 3 winnable games due to play-calling this year.  We would be 6-2 instead of 3-5.  

Take the ball out of Wentz hands.  He needs to be a game manager.  We have 3 GOOD RBs in Mack, JT, and Hines but we insist on throwing to Pittman, Pascal, Hilton, and Cox?   

1 hour ago, Ratking said:

Look at strength of schedule going back a few years. Colts basically only beat under .500 teams. It cracks me up how the old heads on here act like every time we beat a couple bottom feeders we are Superbowl bound.  

I've said it a few times too. The only "recently good team" we can beat are the Packers for some reason. Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, Saints, I can't remember the last time... we beat the chiefs a couple years ago. I've been waiting for a HUGE game that we can win. Hopefully we can beat the Pats later on.

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

The SF game I don't think you can use when compared to the Titans game, just because they were throwing in heavy rain with strong winds like gusts of 25 mph winds.

Archived