Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Final Day of Training Camp 8-25

Restinpeacesweetchloe

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Dude is going to need more practice- he's tossing picks, practicing more than you'd like to see.

I'm pinning my Eason optimism, but I'm sticking by this one point- I doubt that Wentz and Eason are really, really far apart.  

Don't be so sure on that. We have NFL game footage of Wentz. years of it. We don't have much on Eason even after preseason. 

16 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Dude is going to need more practice- he's tossing picks, practicing more than you'd like to see.

I'm pinning my Eason optimism, but I'm sticking by this one point- I doubt that Wentz and Eason are really, really far apart.  

3 weeks from foot surgery and first week back and you expect him not to be rusty lol. That’s what practice is for lol.

18 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

It's probably too early to make this determination, but if Davenport keeps his form from last game for the duration of however many games we need him to play... it might turn out that after the whole hullabaloo and screeching from fans and media about the LT position, Ballard's strategy would work out precisely as intended - get multiple young players who have underperformed  in the past in and let them compete for the starting spot, hope one or more emerges as a quality player.

This is one of the secrets in today's NFL. Tons of OLinemen need a while before they start playing at a good level(Glowinski being one such player) so it's usually their second team(or second contract with original team) that gets to benefit from their talent. If Davenport looks like a solid option for however many games we need him, I would count this as a major success. 

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's probably too early to make this determination, but if Davenport keeps his form from last game for the duration of however many games we need him to play... it might turn out that after the whole hullabaloo and screeching from fans and media about the LT position, Ballard's strategy would work out precisely as intended - get multiple young players who have underperformed  in the past in and let them compete for the starting spot, hope one or more emerges as a quality player.

This is one of the secrets in today's NFL. Tons of OLinemen need a while before they start playing at a good level(Glowinski being one such player) so it's usually their second team(or second contract with original team) that gets to benefit from their talent. If Davenport looks like a solid option for however many games we need him, I would count this as a major success. 

It also doesn’t hurt having the Best LG in the league helping you out :thmup:

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

I thought Davenport always seemed like the best prospect of the group, but wasn't talked about much for some reason.  He was pigeon holed as a RT so far in his career.  

6'6.5, 318, 36 inch arms.  Drafted 4th round out of Bucknell.

And it seems he may be just as good of a developmental player as any of the second round draft choices Ballard passed on, which are mainly RT prospects anyway like Davenport was thought to be.

4 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

It also doesn’t hurt having the Best LG in the league helping you out :thmup:

Nelson hasn't played yet though.  Davenport has done what he's done all by himself so far.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I thought Davenport always seemed like the best prospect of the group, but wasn't talked about much for some reason.  He was pigeon holed as a RT so far in his career.  

And it seems he may be just as good of a developmental player as any of the second round draft choices Ballard passed on, which are mainly RT prospects anyway like Davenport was thought to be.

Nelson hasn't played yet though.  Davenport has done what he's done all by himself so far.

I’m implying regular season games. Having Nelson out there will help him out tremendously. Still think Fisher misses the first 3-4 games.

36 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Don't be so sure on that. We have NFL game footage of Wentz. years of it. We don't have much on Eason even after preseason. 

I'm saying I'm not sure of much other than Wentz is a massive question mark, if that spin makes my point less murky. 

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

6'6.5, 318, 36 inch arms.  Drafted 4th round out of Bucknell.

I think Davenport missed some of camp, hasn't he?

30 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

3 weeks from foot surgery and first week back and you expect him not to be rusty lol. That’s what practice is for lol.

This is the thing, depending on the context it's either- he was hurt and needs practice, or we've got years of game footage- he's been there. We're driving in both lanes.

I'm Wentz skeptical, that's really it.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Same, I had the highest hopes for Davenport. He hasn't played a ton... he actually started off playing a lot early in his career in Houston and didn't play well(well, duh... young raw prospect on a terrible OLine)... then was benched and started filling holes a swing tackle in his last year in Miami... and he was actually serviceable in that role. Something we cannot say for Tevi even though he had played a ton of football. If anything... the more experience at a horrible level a player acquires the more likely it is that it's just what his level is and a jump is unlikely. 

Still, IMO we need to see more from Davenport to count it as a win but ... so far so good. 

Just now, DougDew said:

Possibly, but even before camp the talk was about Tevi and Holden as the possible short term starters.  Davenport has been on the roster for just as long, IIRC.

Well, hopefully he shows out, even if it's against 2nd stringers, on Friday.  He seemed pretty decent last game.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Same, I had the highest hopes for Davenport. He hasn't played a ton... he actually started off playing a lot early in his career in Houston and didn't play well(well, duh... young raw prospect on a terrible OLine)... then was benched and started filling holes a swing tackle in his last year in Miami... and he was actually serviceable in that role. Something we cannot say for Tevi even though he had played a ton of football. If anything... the more experience at a horrible level a player acquires the more likely it is that it's just what his level is and a jump is unlikely. 

Still, IMO we need to see more from Davenport to count it as a win but ... so far so good. 

As the backup.  He's a prospect for the backup T, probably both sides.  Julian is probably right now an upgrade over any backup T we had last year, IMO.  

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

The bad situation in Houston really hampered his progress

Archived