Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

MLB 2021 Season: It's Your Pitch, Jay Kirk

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • NFLfan changed the title to MLB 2021 Season: It's Your Pitch, Jay Kirk

This is the new Baseball Thread. Welcome everyone. Jay Kirk created a Baseball Thread on December 27th, 2016 after the Cubs just won the World Series so everyone could chat about Baseball. We kept that thread from December 27th, 2016 - May 6th, 2021 totaling 406 pages. Many great memories on that thread and I am sure we will have some hot takes on this new thread here in 2021.

Let me start off with a little history:

These are the last 5 World Series Champions

2016 - Chicago Cubs (103-58 regular season record)

*2017 - Houston Astros (101-61 regular season record)

*2018 - Boston Red Sox (108-54 regular season record)

2019 - Washington Nationals (93-69 regular season record)

X-2020 - LA Dodgers  (43-17 regular season record)

* = found cheating by the league

X = Covid-19 shortened season 

Can the Dodgers repeat in 2021? The odds are against them as no team has repeated in Baseball since the 2000 NY Yankees did it. They actually 3peated from 1998-2000.

Now to the current stuff here in 2021, so far after starting 13-2 the Dodgers have struggled and are just 4-13 over their last 17 games. They are sitting in 3rd place at 17-15 in the NL West. Here is a look at the NL Central Division as of May 6th, 2021:

1. Cards 18-14

2. Brewers 17-15 (2 back)

3. Cubs 15-16 (2.5 back)

4. Reds 14-15 (2.5 back)

5. Pirates 13-17 (4 back)

-The black and blue division as I like to call it is bunched up for now.

32 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Now to the current stuff here in 2021, so far after starting 13-2 the Dodgers have struggled and are just 4-13 over their last 17 games. They are sitting in 3rd place at 17-15 in the NL West. Here is a look at the NL Central Division as of May 6th, 2021:

1. Cards 18-14

2. Brewers 17-15 (2 back)

3. Cubs 15-16 (2.5 back)

4. Reds 14-15 (2.5 back)

-The black and blue division as I like to call it is bunched up for now.

Brewers are actually 1 back but have lost 5 in row which is very pleasant to see lmao 

I'm here and thanks for getting this one set up.  It is a bit strange to lock the other long-lasting thread.  Ironically, it happened on the same day this happened - 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/05/angels-release-albert-pujols.html

Not sure if this is the end of his career or not.  He will clear waivers and I'm sure the Angels will then release him.  Not the way he envisioned his career ending...BUT, someone may pick him up to finish out the season.  Would love to see him return to St. Louis for a curtain call, but it's a hard fit with Goldschmidt at first base and no DH in the NL.

This also from yesterday's news - 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31308409/willie-mays-90-was-steph-curry-michael-jordan-simone-biles-mikhail-baryshnikov

Oldest living Hall of Famer...can't believe he's 90!!  Makes me feel old, too!

7 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

I'm here and thanks for getting this one set up.  It is a bit strange to lock the other long-lasting thread.  Ironically, it happened on the same day this happened - 

Not sure if this is the end of his career or not.  He will clear waivers and I'm sure the Angels will then release him.  Not the way he envisioned his career ending...BUT, someone may pick him up to finish out the season.  Would love to see him return to St. Louis for a curtain call, but it's a hard fit with Goldschmidt at first base and no DH in the NL.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31308409/willie-mays-90-was-steph-curry-michael-jordan-simone-biles-mikhail-baryshnikov

Willie Mays is probably the greatest baseball player of all-time if I had to choose one. Over 3200 Hits, 660 HR's, .302 career batting avg. - over .300. He won a WS in 1954 and NL MVP in 1954 and 1965, great resume! 

44 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

I'd like to see him return to St. Louis as well.  I don't know if he'd want to sit on the bench and pinch hit though.  

51 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Willie Mays is probably the greatest baseball player of all-time if I had to choose one. Over 3200 Hits, 660 HR's, .302 career batting avg. - over .300. He won a WS in 1954 and NL MVP in 1954 and 1965, great resume! 

He had it all, for sure.  And, on top of all those numbers, he won 12 Gold Gloves and 24 All-Star Game appearances.  So, he was the complete player on both sides of the ball.  He said he could have been the first, and only, 50HR - 50SB player, but he didn't steal bases for the numbers, he stole them when it was important and helped the team.  So, he was unselfish, too!!

He always had a flare for the dynamic without being a show-off.  He always wore a cap that was a little small on him, so when he ran his cap would fly off and make him look faster, too.  And, the amazing basket catch!

Yes, I would say he was the greatest all-around player ever.  There were better hitters, some better base stealers, even some better defensive players, but none of them had all the skills that Willie had in one player.

1 minute ago, Barry Sears said:

He had it all, for sure.  And, on top of all those numbers, he won 12 Gold Gloves.  So he was the complete player on both sides of the ball.  He said he could have been the first, and only, 50HR - 50SB player, but he didn't steal bases for the numbers, he stole them when it was important and helped the team.  So, he was unselfish, too!!

He always had a flare for the dynamic without being a show-off.  He always wore a cap that was a little big on him, so when he ran his cap would fly off and make him look faster, too.

Yes, I would say he was the greatest all-around player ever.  There were better hitters, some better base stealers, even some better defensive players, but none of them had all the skills that Willie had in one player.

Well said, I have him #1. I know many have Babe Ruth and I respect that but Ruth played before integration and he wasn't the athlete that Mays was IMO. I looked up Ruth's stats and I was shocked to see he did not have 3000 Hits either. Ruth however did bat .342 for his career with 714 HR's which is outstanding. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Well said, I have him #1. I know many have Babe Ruth and I respect that but Ruth played before integration and he wasn't the athlete that Mays was IMO. I looked up Ruth's stats and I was shocked to see he did not have 3000 Hits either. Ruth however did bat .342 for his career with 714 HR's which is outstanding. 

True, and Ruth was a top notch pitcher early in his career, too.  If he didn't hit so well, he may have gone down as one of the greatest pitchers of all-time if he had focused on that and pitched his whole career.

Cardinals still 1 game up in the central even though they lost yesterday to the Mets.   Now a series with Colorado.   A sweep would be nice.  Especially since a series with the Brew Crew is next.   

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

Cardinals still 1 game up in the central even though they lost yesterday to the Mets.   Now a series with Colorado.   A sweep would be nice.  Especially since a series with the Brew Crew is next.   

As of now going into today, the NL Central standings look like this:

1. Cards 18-14

2. Brewers 17-15 (1 back)

3. Cubs 15-16 (2.5 back) %points ahead of the Reds

4. Reds 14-15 (2.5 back)

Bunched up, Cubs play the Pirates in a 3 game set at Wrigley starting today. Winning 2 of 3 is expected but a sweep would be sweet. 

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Can the Dodgers repeat in 2021? The odds are against them as no team has repeated in Baseball

since the 2000 NY Yankees did it. They actually 3peated from 1998-2000.

...and we won 4 out 5 and if it wasn't for a blooper by Craig counsel against Rivera it would have been a 5peat. 

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As of now going into today, the NL Central standings look like this:

1. Cards 18-14

2. Brewers 17-15 (1 back)

3. Cubs 15-16 (2.5 back) %points ahead of the Reds

4. Reds 14-15 (2.5 back)

Bunched up, Cubs play the Pirates in a 3 game set at Wrigley starting today. Winning 2 of 3 is expected but a sweep would be sweet. 

So your a cubbie fan.....I'm  a yankee fan.:thmup:

3 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Very tense in the 9th, wind blowing in though or we'd probably have a few homeruns 

Yeah I know, there for a minute I thought we were about to blow a 3-0 lead in the 9th Inning. Ross said after the game he has been using Kimbrel too much so he gave him the day off. The Pirates aren't really very good but they still hang around most games and are a tough out.

26 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

@RollerColt and you thought it was going to be a tough serieshaha

Wade Miley with the second no hitter in two days, second time Cleveland has been no hit this season. First vs White Sox and Rondon. 

Four no-hitters so far this year. There were several last year too, right?

There was a time when the Mets and the Padres were the only teams never to have a pitcher throw a no-hitter. The Mets were known for their pitching and had many pitchers who went on to throw no-hitters for other teams (Seaver, Nolan Ryan, Gooden, David Cone...) but never with the Mets. Johan Santana pitched the lone no-hitter by a pitcher in a Mets uniform. The Padres finally had one this year. 

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

There was a time when the Mets and the Padres were the only teams never to have a pitcher throw a no-hitter. The Mets were known for their pitching and had many pitchers who went on to throw no-hitters for other teams (Seaver, Nolan Ryan, Gooden, David Cone...) but never with the Mets. Johan Santana pitched the lone no-hitter by a pitcher in a Mets uniform. The Padres finally had one this year. 

Gooden did pitch two 1 hitters in a Mets uni but never a no hitter.

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Gooden did pitch two 1 hitters in a Mets uni but never a no hitter.

Lots of Mets pitchers have had 1-hitters. I was at a game in which Tom Glavine had not given up a hit until late in the game. I was so excited that I would be at the Mets' very first no-hitter. But it was not to be. Some no-name player broke up the no-hitter in the top of the 8th or 9th inn. I also attended one when Matt Harvey had a one-hitter going into the 7th. His was broken up in the 7th, I believe.

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Lots of Mets pitchers have had 1-hitters. I was at a game in which Tom Glavine had not given up a hit. Some no-name player broke up the no-hitter in the top of the 8th or 9th inn. I also attended one when Matt Harvey had a one-hitter going into the 7th. His was broken up in the 7th, I believe.

Matt Harvey, he was your favorite right? Season 2 Lol GIF by Insecure on HBO

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Jake Arrieta has thrown two no hitters in a Cubs uniform by himself. One in 2015 and one in 2016. He had a 2 season stretch where he ranked up there with the all-time greats with the two no hitters, winning NL CY Young in 2015, and his record was 40-14 with an era of 2.38 in those combine seasons of 2015 and 2016. He also was 2-0 in the WS vs the Indians in 2016 = Clutch.

8 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

@RollerColt and you thought it was going to be a tough serieshaha

Wade Miley with the second no hitter in two days, second time Cleveland has been no hit this season. First vs White Sox and Rondon. 

That was a great game. Awesome to see Wade join the club while wearing his son’s good luck charm! 

Welp my Reds are back at .500 at least for a small moment hahaha...

14 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I think there were two last years, both by Chicago pitchers. One was by Giolito with White Sox and then Alec Mills with the Cubs. I can't remember if one was in between or not

6 hours ago, RollerColt said:

That was a great game. Awesome to see Wade join the club while wearing his son’s good luck charm! 

Welp my Reds are back at .500 at least for a small moment hahaha...

I just caught the last inning on MLB.tv. He did seem to have it going at the end. Cleveland has two against them this year which is crazy. maybe the Cubs can get the third against them in a couple weeks

Archived