Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Logical, Likely, Darkhorse

With the eve of the draft tomorrow, I thought this could be a fun list.

Logical - Teven Jenkins

Its an easy pick that makes the most sense at a position of need to protect potentially our QB for the next ten years.

Likely - Trade Down

Imo, I just can't see Ballard sitting on six picks. He's gone on record saying you should always have more then 7 picks.

Darkhorse - Zaven Collins

Now before you guys say anything, it's called a darkhorse which means highly unlikely. Collins is a playmaker with really good pass rush skills with similar size to Houston. 

9 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Logical - Teven Jenkins

Its an easy pick that makes the most sense at a position of need to protect potentially our QB for the next ten years.

Likely - Trade Down

Imo, I just can't see Ballard sitting on six picks. He's gone on record saying you should always have more then 7 picks.

Now before you guys say anything, it's called a darkhorse which means highly unlikely. Collins is a playmaker with really good pass rush skills with similar size to Houston. 

Been saying it a lot recently but I honestly believe if Paye Jenkins or Newsome are gone they will attempt to trade down 

When I read the title of this thread I immediately thought of Zaven Collins before I clicked on it.

LB certainly isn't a need for the Colts but Collins is really talented. Teams, including the Colts, don't play nearly as much with 3 linebackers but I think the right mix of LBs could change that for the Colts. Collins, Leonard, and Okereke could be a trio that could be it.

I believe the Colts originally drafted Ben Bangou envisioning him in more of a hybrid type of role similar to Bruce Irvin in Seattle. That didn't work out with Banogu but could with Collins.

Collins is certainly a dark horse but I think a logical one to bring up for the Colts.

Also, I think your logical and likely scenarios could take place. I think Jenkins, assuming the Colts view him as a tackle, seems like the type of prospect the Colts like and can likely be selected by trading back.

2 hours ago, ar7 said:

When I read the title of this thread I immediately thought of Zaven Collins before I clicked on it.

LB certainly isn't a need for the Colts but Collins is really talented. Teams, including the Colts, don't play nearly as much with 3 linebackers but I think the right mix of LBs could change that for the Colts. Collins, Leonard, and Okereke could be a trio that could be it.

I believe the Colts originally drafted Ben Bangou envisioning him in more of a hybrid type of role similar to Bruce Irvin in Seattle. That didn't work out with Banogu but could with Collins.

Collins is certainly a dark horse but I think a logical one to bring up for the Colts.

Also, I think your logical and likely scenarios could take place. I think Jenkins, assuming the Colts view him as a tackle, seems like the type of prospect the Colts like and can likely be selected by trading back.

Collins could be an interesting look at DE

I'm not saying I want this player in the first round but as I've spent time watching film my conclusion is Chris Rumph II from Duke is a really good ball player. Wouldn't shock me at all if the Colts had high grades on him. He's pretty good from the outside and inside. His dad coached in college and is a current coach in the NFL. Ballard seems to like guys with backgrounds like that.  Zierlein has a strong grade on him as well. And if we double up on DE it wouldn't shock me to see them take Peyton turner or Rashad Weaver to go with him.

7 hours ago, ar7 said:

Collins is one of my favorite players in the draft. Guy is an absolute baller. I totally agree about what they envisioned for Banogu, it just didnt pan out. I think Collins could do it. Problem is, its just such a huge risk to draft a guy first round and move him to a completely new position. He never really rushed from the edge that much in college, and was usually just blitzing over the center. 

26 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

Collins is one of my favorite players in the draft. Guy is an absolute baller. I totally agree about what they envisioned for Banogu, it just didnt pan out. I think Collins could do it. Problem is, its just such a huge risk to draft a guy first round and move him to a completely new position. He never really rushed from the edge that much in college, and was usually just blitzing over the center. 

I agree

I dont think we will draft him, as an Okereke replacement. But the kid is an amazing talent

I would rather have an OT or DE

If we had our OLs and DLs set (We dont), and a decent long term answer at CB (We dont) .... I ABSOLUTELY would draft this kid

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Logical - ...................Sam Cosmi

Likely - trade down to get ^, unless we can't say no to the talent of v

Darkhorse - ...................................................................................Caleb Farley

Definitely my dark horse. He was near unanimous CB1 from the moment he declared until the surgery news broke. If we were ok with the physical, I'd be stoked to land Farley.

11 hours ago, tvturner said:

I think I'd rather have a few of the other linebackers before I take Collins. Davis and JOK come to mind but it would be an interesting pick.

Logical: Any OT of your choosing

Likely: Trade back

Darkhorse: Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah

I think you’ve nailed it. 

13 hours ago, krunk said:

I'm not saying I want this player in the first round but as I've spent time watching film my conclusion is Chris Rumph II from Duke is a really good ball player. Wouldn't shock me at all if the Colts had high grades on him. He's pretty good from the outside and inside. His dad coached in college and is a current coach in the NFL. Ballard seems to like guys with backgrounds like that.  Zierlein has a strong grade on him as well. And if we double up on DE it wouldn't shock me to see them take Peyton turner or Rashad Weaver to go with him.

Watched him play against ND a couple times and he was by far the best player on that squad. Dont know where he is.projected but would be a solid day 2 dark horse pick.

54 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Watched him play against ND a couple times and he was by far the best player on that squad. Dont know where he is.projected but would be a solid day 2 dark horse pick.

Very good player who hasnt got a minutes worth of recognition on this forum. He does a lot of the same stuff Autry did for us. Type of player i think Ballard would like. If selected most would be like Who?

19 hours ago, CR91 said:

Logical - Teven Jenkins

Likely - Trade Down

Y’know, Teven Jenkins a very common pick for the Colts, but it doesn’t make much sense to me.  We lost a LT, so we add a lineman who lacks the athleticism to be LT?  He’ll be a good RT, particularly in a power running O...

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Very good player who hasnt got a minutes worth of recognition on this forum. He does a lot of the same stuff Autry did for us. Type of player i think Ballard would like. If selected most would be like Who?

Sounds like there are a couple of Rumph supporters on this forum.  I’ve had him on my mocks, including my final one.  I like him as a LB conversion.  He’d be very useful on 3rd down packages, ‘cause he’d be very good at rushing the edge or up the middle, and he should be good in coverage too.  Wish he was able to work out at his Pro Day, though.

44 minutes ago, Archer said:

Y’know, Teven Jenkins a very common pick for the Colts, but it doesn’t make much sense to me.  We lost a LT, so we add a lineman who lacks the athleticism to be LT?  He’ll be a good RT, particularly in a power running O...

Athleticism isn’t what he lacks at all. For his size he’s actually an elite athlete. The question is if he has the foot quickness to stay on the left. Also some people don’t like the 33” arms, but almost all the OT prospects that are highly rated only have 33” arms so GMs will have to get over it. 

9 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Athleticism isn’t what he lacks at all. For his size he’s actually an elite athlete. The question is if he has the foot quickness to stay on the left. Also some people don’t like the 33” arms, but almost all the OT prospects that are highly rated only have 33” arms so GMs will have to get over it. 

That’s true - for as good as this OT class is, not many of them have those 35” or 36” arms.  A lot just over that 33” threshold.  But I like to look at that 3-cone and short shuttle for those LTs, and Jenkins’ weren’t good.

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Perhaps the idea would be to move Braden to the left if we do go Jenkins, but the idea that Jenkins can't play LT seems far fetched to me. He wouldn't be graded so high if teams only saw a RT.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Perhaps the idea would be to move Braden to the left if we do go Jenkins, but the idea that Jenkins can't play LT seems far fetched to me. He wouldn't be graded so high if teams only saw a RT.

Yeah, maybe he could get by at LT, but I don’t think he has the quickness to do what we ask of a LT (though his forty time was actually good).  To me, neither Jenkins nor Braden are good options at LT...

2 minutes ago, Archer said:

Yeah, maybe he could get by at LT, but I don’t think he has the quickness to do what we ask of a LT (though his forty time was actually good).  To me, neither Jenkins nor Braden are good options at LT...

Honestly, the way Ballard is talking up this T class, wouldn't surprise me to see us go Edge first and T second.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Honestly, the way Ballard is talking up this T class, wouldn't surprise me to see us go Edge first and T second.

Yeah, I admit that I’ve been rather focused on the OTs, and I haven’t studied the DEs very much.  I guess that with the exception of Phillips, these Ends feel a little developmental to me for 1st rounders.  I’m either asking why they weren’t more productive or whether they have the right athletic traits, but none seem like good bets...

21 hours ago, tvturner said:

I think I'd rather have a few of the other linebackers before I take Collins. Davis and JOK come to mind but it would be an interesting pick.

Logical: Any OT of your choosing

Likely: Trade back

Darkhorse: Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah

Glad I read answers first because this was mine too.

Archived