Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Schefter: 49ers will take Mac Jones at 3

Mac Jones or someone else?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who will the Niners draft at #3?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/24/2021 at 06:03 AM

I think this is Schefter hearing what the rest of the league is thinking(i.e. the same sources that Jeremiah and McShay and others have that told them they think Mac Jones will be the pick). Just remember how quiet not just the Colts but the 49ers were last year before the Buckner trade. I don't think there is a chance in hell this information is coming out of the 49ers. They are a very VERY well buttoned up organization similar to the Colts. I still don't believe this. This makes no sense to me.

You don't pay 3 first round picks + for what you already have and what you've shown you can scheme an offense for. You pay 3 firsts for high end athletic upside that provides you with much more than this. Shanahan made Nick Mullens look like a good starter for a stretch with his schemes. And that scheme is reliant on creating conflict for the defense through the run game, which opens up wide lanes behind the linebackers. He pretty much schemes them up to be wrong no matter what they do. Now imagine adding additional element of a dynamic running QB, who already has experience running an offense that looks VERY similar to that - just take a look at NDSU offense with all the different formations they are running the ball from... all the playaction passes. I think the pick will be Trey Lance. This is the thing people constantly get wrong about Lance - yes he has limited experience... but the experience he has with their offense is actually much closer to what he will see in the NFL than most other college QBs(including Mac Jones), he ran a pro offense that looks similar to the 49ers offense in college and he was really good with it. 

And if it's not Trey Lance it's going to be Justin Fields. I won't believe they traded their future for more of what they already have and just determined it's not enough. I just don't believe it. And I won't believe it until Godell goes on that podium and announces it. 

Mac Jones = Jared Goff, right? 

People are kind of hard on both of them, a little undeserved, IMO. Neither of them are going to drag their teams to success every year, they're not dynamic enough. But they're pretty good, top 15ish guys. Also, I think Mac Jones is probably more accurate than Goff was, and a little more athletic than he's getting credit for. He's no Lamar Jackson, but he moves well enough for the NFL, IMO.

I wouldn't take him #3. I wouldn't take him ahead of Trey Lance or Justin Fields. Especially as the Niners, when you still have JG (assuming they want to keep him, which is what they said). Fields and Lance would be perfect to sit until you feel the need to make a change, and JG is still a quality starter you can compete with. I think they both have significantly higher ceilings than Jones, and although Jones is more accurate right now, he's still not going to be a Day 1 'take you to the playoffs' starter, I don't think. And he's not the guy who jumps off the screen at me, so giving up all that draft capital to get to #3, for Mac Jones?? Smells funny.

I could see a team not having Zach Wilson high on their board, just because of his size and the potential that he doesn't hold up in the NFL. I think he's very talented, higher ceiling than Jones, but teams might be concerned with building around him. Doesn't seem like it matters, the Jets have all but said he's their pick at #2.

Guess we'll see... Wouldn't surprise me, but I think the Niners should take Fields or Lance. And I'm not one of these guys who dislikes Mac Jones, at all. I could have seen the Colts taking him at #21 if not for Wentz. I just don't get taking him ahead of those other guys, and I especially don't see moving all the way up for him.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Mac Jones = Jared Goff, right? 

People are kind of hard on both of them, a little undeserved, IMO. Neither of them are going to drag their teams to success every year, they're not dynamic enough. But they're pretty good, top 15ish guys. Also, I think Mac Jones is probably more accurate than Goff was, and a little more athletic than he's getting credit for. He's no Lamar Jackson, but he moves well enough for the NFL, IMO.

I wouldn't take him #3. I wouldn't take him ahead of Trey Lance or Justin Fields. Especially as the Niners, when you still have JG (assuming they want to keep him, which is what they said). Fields and Lance would be perfect to sit until you feel the need to make a change, and JG is still a quality starter you can compete with. I think they both have significantly higher ceilings than Jones, and although Jones is more accurate right now, he's still not going to be a Day 1 'take you to the playoffs' starter, I don't think. And he's not the guy who jumps off the screen at me, so giving up all that draft capital to get to #3, for Mac Jones?? Smells funny.

I could see a team not having Zach Wilson high on their board, just because of his size and the potential that he doesn't hold up in the NFL. I think he's very talented, higher ceiling than Jones, but teams might be concerned with building around him. Doesn't seem like it matters, the Jets have all but said he's their pick at #2.

Guess we'll see... Wouldn't surprise me, but I think the Niners should take Fields or Lance. And I'm not one of these guys who dislikes Mac Jones, at all. I could have seen the Colts taking him at #21 if not for Wentz. I just don't get taking him ahead of those other guys, and I especially don't see moving all the way up for him.

Yeah, I can understand people liking Mac Jones. Even though I wouldn't have loved it, I could understand the Colts taking him at 21. But we are talking about giving up 3 1st round picks + 3d to go up and secure him. This I don't see happening. IMO all the rumors are coming from other teams' scouts/FO executives that don't understand Shanahan. I really do believe this and I know it sounds pretentious as hell(I understand him, but NFL professionals don't). I think SOME of them can't see farther than their nose. They've seen him elevate players like Garoppolo and Cousins to very productive starters and they think this is the type of QB he wants. But his teams gave up a 2nd and a 4th round pick respectively for those QBs. And he is now moving on from Garoppolo because he knows this type of QB is not good enough when you have to contend with the Patrick Mahomes' of the world. Do you know who his team gave up 3 first round picks for? Robert Griffin III! And he looked sensational under Shannahan before his injuries. 

I really REALLY REALLY can't imagine the 49ers going for Jones. He's a good prospect, but he's not a prospect you give up this type of haul for. Now... in 3 weeks time I very well might have to eat my words, but this is my honest assessment of the situation. I just don't see it. I think it(the Mac Jones rumors) is all nonsense. 

Whoever they wind up taking,  what I keep reading is that Garropollo stays and starts and the rookie gets a redshirt year.   A good year by Jimmy G will help his re-sale value next off-season.   Even an OK year will lead to a smaller Dead Cap Hit in any trade.

And given the remaining three, Fields, Lance and even Jones,  that would make sense.    They are all works in progress.   They could all use a redshirt year, like  Mahomes got.

To me,  Jones has the highest floor,  but perhaps the lowest ceiling.   But Kyle Shannahan is clearly someone who has forgotten more than I'll ever know.    Just my personal observation.    The other two kids seem to have lower floors,  but much higher ceilings.    I have no idea which why the 49ers will go.

San Fran does a nice job with personnel and the draft.    But wow did they whiff on Solomon Thomas, who I love as a person,  but much less as a player.    And you just don't want to miss at pick 3 in the entire draft.   You can't.

The Mac Jones to SF thing is such a weird rumour to me because it's implausible and plausible at the same time. It feels like if you're going to give up a haul, you'd want a QB with a skillset comparable to the great young QB's in the league, which is more Fields or Lance, rather than someone like Jones.

Although, if you were to pick a team and coach to maximize the talents of someone like Jones it's SF and Kyle Shanahan so it makes sense from that perspective. I actually don't think there's a wrong answer at #3. I think they'll end up looking pretty smart anyway because SF is a really good situation for a QB and that's half the battle. 

16 hours ago, jskinnz said:

This feels like one of those things were there is too much smoke for there not to be a fire somewhere. I will personally be shocked if it is not Jones at this point. 

Yeah, with so many credible people -- including Schefter -- speaking about it as if it's a done deal, it's hard to see this not being the case. Doesn't mean I agree with it.

44 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, with so many credible people -- including Schefter -- speaking about it as if it's a done deal, it's hard to see this not being the case. Doesn't mean I agree with it.

Take this for what it is worth (my hunch is Fields is going No.3):

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31211947/ohio-state-justin-fields-set-2nd-pro-day-san-francisco-49ers-expected-attend

Ohio State is slated to have a second pro day on April 14, providing another opportunity for teams, including the Niners, to see Fields in person, a source told ESPN. The Athletic first reported that Fields, who is in the conversation for the 49ers with the No. 3 overall pick, will be participating in the second pro day.

Shanahan and Lynch did not see Fields' first pro day because they were in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, watching quarterback Mac Jones and the rest of the Crimson Tide's group of NFL prospects. That was Jones' second pro day after participating in one earlier in March.

No matter who it is, that 49ers team is built for a QB to succeed with a solid OL, running game and young pass catchers for WR and TE.

After the 49ers pulled off the exact trade up to the 3rd pick (that I suggested the Colts should do), I would fall over in laughter if they passed on Fields for Jones or Lance.  Fields is just as much the generational prospect as Lawrence.  When you look at the film and compare the numbers it really is a no brainer.  Here’s another Fields stat that puts him above the others.  

The average rank of defenses that Fields has faced in his career is around low to mid twenties. Not too many cupcakes or soft touches.  Meanwhile Lawrence, Wilson, & Jones average defensive opponents is in the 40’s or much higher. So Fields put up better career numbers than all of the other QB’s while facing tougher competition week in and week out.  

Better career accuracy. Better career rating past his first read (dispelled that lie about him).  Oh and he scored higher on an aptitude test than thousands of other professional athletes from multiple sports who have taken the same test.  Offered a scholarship to Harvard.  Kid is a smart pocket passer who is athletic and can run.  But he has no problem standing in the pocket and delivering accurate throws with conflict happening all around him. 

I believe Kyle is just putting Fields to the ultimate test.  He remembers him from his high school QB camp where Fields took the things he learned there and improved his game to the point where he legitimately rivaled Lawrence as the best QB in the country.  Helped turn the best dual threat QB into the most accurate career passer in this draft.  And easily the most fundamentally sound.  That’s growth. 

Also Kyle gets to see how Fields handles all of the chatter about Wilson & Jones & Lance being better.  How does he handle the 49ers not attending his first pro day?  How does he handle the leaks attacking his work ethic and commitment?  They could be looking for signs to how he will handle adversity on and off the field at the next level.  So far he’s been near perfect.  The fact he didn’t snap on Orlovsky shows great maturity.  Best QB in the draft. Just pray the Patriots don’t move up to 4th and get him if the 49ers are dumb enough to pass on him after moving up to the 3rd pick. 

6 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

After the 49ers pulled off the exact trade up to the 3rd pick (that I suggested the Colts should do), I would fall over in laughter if they passed on Fields for Jones or Lance.  Fields is just as much the generational prospect as Lawrence.  When you look at the film and compare the numbers it really is a no brainer.  Here’s another Fields stat that puts him above the others.  

The average rank of defenses that Fields has faced in his career is around low to mid twenties. Not too many cupcakes or soft touches.  Meanwhile Lawrence, Wilson, & Jones average defensive opponents is in the 40’s or much higher. So Fields put up better career numbers than all of the other QB’s while facing tougher competition week in and week out.  

Better career accuracy. Better career rating past his first read (dispelled that lie about him).  Oh and he scored higher on an aptitude test than thousands of other professional athletes from multiple sports who have taken the same test.  Offered a scholarship to Harvard.  Kid is a smart pocket passer who is athletic and can run.  But he has no problem standing in the pocket and delivering accurate throws with conflict happening all around him. 

I believe Kyle is just putting Fields to the ultimate test.  He remembers him from his high school QB camp where Fields took the things he learned there and improved his game to the point where he legitimately rivaled Lawrence as the best QB in the country.  Helped turn the best dual threat QB into the most accurate career passer in this draft.  And easily the most fundamentally sound.  That’s growth. 

Also Kyle gets to see how Fields handles all of the chatter about Wilson & Jones & Lance being better.  How does he handle the 49ers not attending his first pro day?  How does he handle the leaks attacking his work ethic and commitment?  They could be looking for signs to how he will handle adversity on and off the field at the next level.  So far he’s been near perfect.  The fact he didn’t snap on Orlovsky shows great maturity.  Best QB in the draft. Just pray the Patriots don’t move up to 4th and get him if the 49ers are dumb enough to pass on him after moving up to the 3rd pick. 

There was 0 chance Ballard would ever trade up high enough for Fields 

6 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I’m totally with you on Justin Fields being a better QB prospect for the modern NFL than Mac Jones or Trey Lance. How many Ohio State OL are we talking about going in the first round? How many Buckeyes WRs are first round talents? Who do you think will function better if things don’t go according to script on plays? Who do you think will be better for boot legs? Whose accuracy numbers on 3rd down led all the QBs in this draft?

Out of Fields, Jones and Lance, the answers to every single question above leads to Fields. 49ers would be dumb to pass on him.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-superlatives-quarterbacks-trevor-lawrence-justin-fields-trey-lance-mac-jones

Jake Fromm was heck of a timing passer but there was a reason he lasted till Day 3 of the draft. 

This one might be a bit harsh on Mac Jones but he brings up several valid points:

https://www.nfl.com/news/mac-jones-not-worth-a-first-round-pick-rashod-bateman-the-next-justin-jefferson

When the dust settles, I still believe Fields will be the 49ers pick:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-two-round-2021-nfl-mock-draft-san-francisco-49ers-justin-fields-kyle-pitts-joe-burrow-cincinnati-bengals

If Fields is there at No.4, Patriots trade with Falcons, I’m scared of that happening.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

I’m totally with you on Justin Fields being a better QB prospect for the modern NFL than Mac Jones or Trey Lance. How many Ohio State OL are we talking about going in the first round? How many Buckeyes WRs are first round talents? Who do you think will function better if things don’t go according to script on plays? Who do you think will be better for boot legs? Whose accuracy numbers on 3rd down led all the QBs in this draft?

Out of Fields, Jones and Lance, the answers to every single question above leads to Fields. 49ers would be dumb to pass on him.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-superlatives-quarterbacks-trevor-lawrence-justin-fields-trey-lance-mac-jones

Jake Fromm was heck of a timing passer but there was a reason he lasted till Day 3 of the draft. 

This one might be a bit harsh on Mac Jones but he brings up several valid points:

https://www.nfl.com/news/mac-jones-not-worth-a-first-round-pick-rashod-bateman-the-next-justin-jefferson

When the dust settles, I still believe Fields will be the 49ers pick:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-two-round-2021-nfl-mock-draft-san-francisco-49ers-justin-fields-kyle-pitts-joe-burrow-cincinnati-bengals

If Fields is there at No.4, Patriots trade with Falcons, I’m scared of that happening.

Don't be scared lol 

https://www.ninersnation.com/2021/4/12/22379870/the-49ers-and-patriots-are-the-only-two-teams-thatll-attend-justin-fields-pro-day (Patriots probably cooking up a trade for Jimmy)

Mac Jones not passing the smell test for some :) 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2021-nfl-draft-some-view-mac-jones-to-49ers-as-a-lock-but-heres-why-it-doesnt-pass-smell-test/

Plus, Kyle Shanahan is scripting half of Fields and Lances pro-days, I heard, which might be significant.

On 4/11/2021 at 3:18 PM, danlhart87 said:

There was 0 chance Ballard would ever trade up high enough for Fields 

I believe we could have moved up to the 3rd pick with a similar deal if we executed it very early in the offseason.  The 49ers & Colts are very similar in the fact we have good defenses and strong running games.  Fields would have thrived on either team.  Here’s a tweet from QB Collective (which is Shanahan’s QB Camp).  It mentions consistency.  It’s funny that when you look at Fields’ 3 years of college ball (even his freshman year where his coach tried to pigeon hole him as a wildcat QB) his numbers never vary more than 3-5%.  66-70% completions. About 9-10 yards per attempt. About a 4-1 TD to interception ratio.  These numbers while not running a screen or swing pass heavy offense (which he can still do if asked).  Tough downfield throws while standing in the pocket.  

Here’s the tweet from when Shanahan and his staff had a chance to work with Fields while in high school.  He took their coaching and implemented it and became the most consistent passing QB in this class.  No major swings in his numbers due to softer schedule one year, or sitting for 3-4 years and inheriting the most talented offense in college football history.  Imagine the next leap he’ll take with Shanahan coaching him every day for the next few years & not just a week or so...  I still wish it was the Colts & Frank and not 49ers & Kyle.

Listen to the ball come off Fields’ hand.  And notice the consistent footwork and mechanics.  Young man is just so fundamentally sound.  Really reminds me of Luck in his ability to stay fundamentally sound in a chaotic pocket and just throw a 40-50 yard rope with seemingly minimal effort.  We’ll just have to see if he has the hunger and drive to be the very best.  

On 4/8/2021 at 7:47 PM, jskinnz said:

This feels like one of those things were there is too much smoke for there not to be a fire somewhere. I will personally be shocked if it is not Jones at this point. 

I think the fire may be from the 49ers Fanbase showing their disapproval of the rumor. haha

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

If SF takes Mac Jones I will laugh so hard. I don’t know what’s going on with fields unless this is all a smokescreen. If he falls I bet he will end up being the best in this class. His accuracy is so good. He throws from the pocket first.  

Jones would fit in well in SF 

47 minutes ago, Superman said:

I just added a poll. Wasn't sure if I could add a poll to a thread after it's already going, but now I know that I can. 

Mac Jones makes no sense. I will continue to say that until I'm proven wrong. Hell... I will continue to say it even after I'm proven wrong, because this for me is one of the most insane smokescreens/smokesignals ever. This is bonkers to me. 

I can see Lance... I can see Fields... Mac Jones just makes no sense. He makes no sense for any of the top 10 drafting teams. 

I'd be absolutely floored and shocked if the 49ers gave up 3 first round picks + 3d round pick for someone if they are lucky can be about as good as the guy they are moving on from right now.

What do you think, Superman?

A lot of what I’m about to say came from Bucky Brooks but I can’t sit here and really believe the 49ers are sitting there with Jimmy Garropolo and thinking “Man you know what we need to be able to compete against Pat Mahomes in the Super Bowl? Mac Jones!”

3 first round picks to move up and take Mac Jones? I know Shannahan has his really specific traits he wants in a QB but I don’t see why you invest that type of capital to get what you already have. Kyle is one of the more respected guys in the game, so I can’t think that he is really that short sighted. When you make an aggressive move to get a QB, It should to get a guy that has something else that the other guy doesn’t. What does Jones offer that Jimmy doesn’t?

@stitches @Defjamz26

I don't really disagree with anything you guys are saying. But too many reputable and credible people are saying it's Jones. And this isn't early January, with people prognosticating because the Niners sent someone to Bama's bowl game, and someone on the Niners staff recruited Jones four years ago. This is late in draft season, with pro days and visits basically done. 

Everyone could be wrong on this, but it would be one of the biggest smoke screens of all time.

But I'd like to point out that, while I think it should be Fields or Lance, neither of them are without their own question marks. They aren't Andrew Luck. They aren't Trevor Lawrence (and I don't think Lawrence is the prospect Luck was). They probably aren't even Deshaun Watson. And Mac Jones isn't Tim Tebow. 

I guess we'll see what happens. But right now, all the "reporting" is saying it's Jones.

If the Niners take Mac Donald Jones then I guess John Lynch I believe is there GM?  Well he is getting fired instantly I mean like on the spot.  I think the Niners owners will like call into the Draft stop the live broadcast just to get into the show and say John Lynch gtho Dodge bro.  

But I don’t think they’ll take Lance either at #3.  I know Niners love to scheme on offense.  They move players all over the field to get the mismatch and like the OP said get a QB that can run and throw and ran this type of offense in college then it’s like pasta and spaghetti sauce right?  Then why didn’t they take the sure fire QB if that’s the case instead of a rookie?  They could’ve went hard at Wentz.  He is Lance except with a ton of experience and was an MVP QB.  Damn I wish they would get Lance and somehow we trade Wentz and we get Justin Fields that would make my day 

5 minutes ago, IanColts22 said:

But I don’t think they’ll take Lance either at #3.  I know Niners love to scheme on offense.  They move players all over the field to get the mismatch and like the OP said get a QB that can run and throw and ran this type of offense in college then it’s like pasta and spaghetti sauce right?  Then why didn’t they take the sure fire QB if that’s the case instead of a rookie?  They could’ve went hard at Wentz.  He is Lance except with a ton of experience and was an MVP QB.  Damn I wish they would get Lance and somehow we trade Wentz and we get Justin Fields that would make my day 

We aren't trading Wentz, like at all. The 49ers definitely aren't trading the 3rd overall pick for Wentz after trading three 1sts and a 3rd to move up from 12 to 3 to get that pick. They want a QB there. Whether it be Fields, Lance, or Mac Jones, and they will get him.

BTW, I love your Meta Knight picture. Used to be a big Kirby fan.

7 hours ago, IanColts22 said:

If the Niners take Mac Donald Jones then I guess John Lynch I believe is there GM?  Well he is getting fired instantly I mean like on the spot.  I think the Niners owners will like call into the Draft stop the live broadcast just to get into the show and say John Lynch gtho Dodge bro.  

Lynch answers to Shanahan. 

7 hours ago, IanColts22 said:

Zero chance Colts trade Wentz

9 hours ago, IanColts22 said:

Jones gets far too much hate here. He isn't gonna blow teams away but it is possible to have success from the pocket. 

Archived