Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

w87r Colts Offseason and Mock(Post Wentz deal, with Extensions)

Colts Cap Space:$43.6m(OtC)

(65 current active players)

Restructure Ryan Kelly - $6.75m savings

New Cap Space: $50.35m

Re-signings:

Dulin $850k ERFA

Stallworth $850k ERFA

Smith $850k ERFA

Walker $4m

Rhodes $9m

Carrie $1m

Hunt $1m

Odum $2.2m RFA original round tender(RoFR)

Pascal $2.2m RFA original round tender(RoFR)

Alie-Cox $2.2m RFA original round tender(RoFR)

10 players added(so 10x$780k(average est) =$7.8m)

Signings $24m - $7.8m(players that fall off top 51 salary cap) = $16.2m top 51 cap hit

New top 51 cap space: $34.15m

(75 players on roster)

Extensions:

Darius Leonard:(4 years $68.3m $41.3m guaranteed(2021 base + 2021 RB, 2022/2023 numbers))

2021:$3.42m base, $838k SB, $5m RB = $9.3m ~ guaranteed

2022:$5m base, $10m RB = $15m ~ guaranteed

2023: $10m base, $7m RB = $17m ~ guaranteed

2024: $12m base, $4m RB = $16m

2025: $11m base = $11m

Braden Smith:(4yrs $58.3m $33.3m guaranteed(2021 base + 2021 RB, 2022/2023 numbers))

2021: $2.43m base, $828k SB, $5m RB = $8.3m ~ guaranteed

2022: $8m base, $5m RB = $13m ~ guaranteed

2023: $7m base, $5m RB = $12m ~ guaranteed

2024: $6m base, $5m RB = $11m 

2025: $14m base = $14m

New Cap Space:$24.15m

Trades:

Jack Doyle to WFT for pick #114 - $4.35m savings(+$780k added to top 51) net top 51 savings $3.5m

New Cap Space:$27.65m

(74 players on roster)

Free Agents:

Nelson Agholor - $8m

Trey Hendrickson - $10m

2 players added $18m - 2 players drop off top 51 for $1.6 net cap hit $16.4m

New Cap Space:$11.25m

(76 players on roster)

NFL Draft:

#21 -($1.8m)-Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech

#54 -($972k)-Greg Newsome II, CB, Northwestern

#114 -($775k)-Trey McKitty, TE, Georgia

#117 -($773k)-Quinn Meinerz, G, Wisconsin-Whitewater

#148 -($709k)-Elerson Smith, DE, Northern Iowa

#180 -($687k)-Austin Watkins, WR, UAB

#211 -($673k)-Leon O'Neal Jr., S, Texas A&M

2 draft picks come off of top 51 cap space for $2.8m - 2 players dropping off top 51 for $1.6m. Net top 51 cap hit is $1.2m. All other picks are off top 51 for now.

End Cap Space:$10m

(83 players on roster)

@NewColtsFan told you I would make a new one.

I like it.  The only thing I’m not a fan of is Agholor.  I do like the idea af adding another top-end WR, but just not that particular pass dropper.   jc, are you anti-Ya-Sin?  You re-sign Rhodes and Carrie, in addition to Tell coming back, and yet you still draft a high-end CB in the draft.  I’m a fan of Tell, so I’ve usually only re-signed one CB, and pushed CB down to the 5th round or so.  Do you think of Ya-Sin as a lost cause?  

24 minutes ago, Archer said:

I like it.  The only thing I’m not a fan of is Agholor.  I do like the idea af adding another top-end WR, but just not that particular pass dropper.   jc, are you anti-Ya-Sin?  You re-sign Rhodes and Carrie, in addition to Tell coming back, and yet you still draft a high-end CB in the draft.  I’m a fan of Tell, so I’ve usually only re-signed one CB, and pushed CB down to the 5th round or so.  Do you think of Ya-Sin as a lost cause?  

I personally have always liked Agholor, probably because of me being a fan of USC, but I agree a little, his career got off to a slow start. I think he played a lot better last year(still 5 drops though), and the connection to Reich and Wentz is clear as well.

Im not anti RYS, although I did almost include him with our 2nd in this to acquire Lattimore from NO. Decided against it though. I also like Tell as well, but he is far from a certainty after year away, even with my USC fan hood, I have to tether my expectations. Hope he comes back and balls out though.

Carrie is just a cheap depth signing. Rhodes probably only on a 1-2 yr deal so another going CB would be nice to have, and what's not to like about Newsome.

Traded Doyle to save the money then replaced him with the pick acquired from his move.

I like it but I’m not giving Agholor 8 mil for a year. Maybe 5 or 6. With Trey having a solid year with sacks I see him getting more money. Edge guys to me are the one spot that won’t take huge cap hits. He is young and someone will over pay. Also I think Smith is one of the best RT’s in the league but I bet he is closer to 11 or 12 mil a year. Just my thoughts. Love the draft though. 

Walker I see as a guarantee gone. 

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

I like it but I’m not giving Agholor 8 mil for a year. Maybe 5 or 6. With Trey having a solid year with sacks I see him getting more money. Edge guys to me are the one spot that won’t take huge cap hits. He is young and someone will over pay. Also I think Smith is one of the best RT’s in the league but I bet he is closer to 11 or 12 mil a year. Just my thoughts. Love the draft though. 

I just tried to stay in the vicinity of Spotrac Market value projections.

Went slightly under on Agholor and on the number for Hendrickson 

There isn't a lot of money out there for teams though, so that could keep the prices down a little bit.

As far as Smith, his avg is right around $11m if you take the unguaranteed last year off of contract, at which point a new deal would probably come into play.

Very nice. 

Love the draft picks.  I'd have Darrisaw, Newsome, and Meinerz in my mock too.  While Pinter is nice, Glow's contract is up after next year and we need more depth.  I think Meinerz can backup C too.

I've got my eye on Stevie Scott RB from IU as a replacement for Wilkins, but will need to see his 40 time to determine the proper round.  He'd be a nice player for giving JT a breather, not a big difference in size/style.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

I just tried to stay in the vicinity of Spotrac Market value projections.

Went slightly under on Agholor and on the number for Hendrickson 

There isn't a lot of money out there for teams though, so that could keep the prices down a little bit.

As far as Smith, his avg is right around $11m if you take the unguaranteed last year off of contract, at which point a new deal would probably come into play.

I agree the money will be tight but pass rushers on the right side of 30 I see as still getting paid. Now with the same tight wallet a guy like Agholor or a Sammy Watkins will definitely be paid less IMO. Personally I would go for a 2 or 3 year deal and pay Rashard Higgins 5 mil per year. 

Ok the breakdown for Smith makes more sense now. 

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Very nice. 

Love the draft picks.  I'd have Darrisaw, Newsome, and Meinerz in my mock too.  While Pinter is nice, Glow's contract is up after next year and we need more depth.  I think Meinerz can backup C too.

I've got my eye on Stevie Scott RB from IU as a replacement for Wilkins, but will need to see his 40 time to determine the proper round.

Thanks.

I went with a lot of Senior Bowl guys as that seems to be a tell on Ballards end, if he has one. He likes those guys.

I almost added a RB late in the draft, but decided against it last minute.

I think it is usually a good idea to continually add young legs to the RB stable.

6 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I agree the money will be tight but pass rushers on the right side of 30 I see as still getting paid. Now with the same tight wallet a guy like Agholor or a Sammy Watkins will definitely be paid less IMO. Personally I would go for a 2 or 3 year deal and pay Rashard Higgins 5 mil per year. 

Ok the breakdown for Smith makes more sense now. 

I agree, I just see quite a few Edge guys that are or will be on the market and only so many teams that can spend the money on them.

Watt

Ngakoue

Clowney

Lawson

Von Miller(potentially)

Hendrickson

Okwara

Houston

Leonard Williams

Shaq Barrett

Vic Beasley

WRs:

Godwin

Robinson

Juju

Golladay

Will Fuller

Marvin Jones

Hilton

Agholor

Corey Davis

So even if those numbers adjust a little(Agholor down and Hendrickson up) we still have a little fluff at the end to make up for any offset.

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

I agree, I just see quite a few Edge guys that are or will be on the market and only so many teams that can spend the money on them.

Watt

Ngakoue

Clowney

Lawson

Von Miller(potentially)

Hendrickson

Okwara

Houston

Leonard Williams

Shaq Barrett

Vic Beasley

WRs:

Godwin

Robinson

Juju

Golladay

Will Fuller

Marvin Jones

Hilton

Agholor

Corey Davis

So even if those numbers adjust a little(Agholor down and Hendrickson up) we still have a little fluff at the end to make up for any offset.

Yea I agree with you. Money will still work out the same. One name I am curious about is Clowney. I would not want anything to do with him as I have always seen him as overrated but just curious of his market this year. 

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Not sure about the Quinn Meinerz pick. I’m not sure guard depth is a huge priority. We have Pinter and could probably add someone from FA for depth, as opposed to spending a 4th round pick.

Thanks for the input.

Curious to your thoughts on what biggest needs would be if all other scenarios pre draft played out.

Obviously LT was still the biggest need, which was taken care of in Rd1. TE was big need but take care of that in Rd4. I think CB was still a good grab.

Ballard preaches trenches whichbis why I added more depth to OL and another DE.

Where would you of went with that other 4th round pick?

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

Yea I agree with you. Money will still work out the same. One name I am curious about is Clowney. I would not want anything to do with him as I have always seen him as overrated but just curious of his market this year. 

Yeah I don't want anything to do with Clowney either.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Thanks for the input.

Curious to your thoughts on what biggest needs would be if all other scenarios pre draft played out.

Obviously LT was still the biggest need, which was taken care of in Rd1. TE was big need but take care of that in Rd4. I think CB was still a good grab.

I think Ballard continues to add depth. Plus he could try and have someone in line to replace Glow or just make sure you have great young talent. I think Hunt might get resigned for cheap and that could change this pick though. 

3 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I think Ballard continues to add depth. Plus he could try and have someone in line to replace Glow or just make sure you have great young talent. I think Hunt might get resigned for cheap and that could change this pick though. 

I did sign Hunt for cheap, but I don't necessarily think that would effect the pick really.

Definitely looking for future Glow replacement

Would give us a couple options with Pinter and Meinerz and then young depth behind whoever wins that spot.

19 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Great job!

I really like the McKitty pick, was very impressed with him at the Senior Bowl. He is the right type of move TE we need.

Yeah I went heavy Senior bowl players. He definitely impressed there.

5 minutes ago, w87r said:

I did sign Hunt for cheap, but I don't necessarily think that would effect the pick really.

Definitely looking for future Glow replacement

Would give us a couple options with Pinter and Meinerz and then young depth behind whoever wins that spot.

Yeah I went heavy Senior bowl players. He definitely impressed there.

I mean I agree he wants competition and of course a glow replacement. You think they would carry all 3 (Pinter, Hunt, and the rookie)? I mean money wise they are nothing but roster wise? 

18 minutes ago, w87r said:

Very good draft as is, building upon a strength is necessary to stay ahead in the NFL. I think good LBs can be had with that 4th round pick. Plus, WRs and RBs have shown good ROI from the draft. I am with Archer, I doubt Ballard would spend a Day 1 or Day 2 pick on a CB if Rhodes, Carrie, Moore, RYS and Tell are all back.

Day 2 is my sweet spot for skill position guys and I would not be afraid to double down on a WR and TE from the draft on Day 2, to be honest. We cannot keep up with the Chiefs and can only play 1 style of game to win (play keep away primarily with timely defensive stops) and can never expect ourselves to win any shootout types of games without more in the cupboard for offensive skill positions for Wentz as QB, as it stands, IMO. Agholor showed promise with Carr for 1 year and probably might be happier being in an environment that allowed him to succeed over rehashing those 4 years with Wentz.

The only way this happens is with Ballard moving back and gaining another Day 2 pick, which I am at 90% that he does. Getting his LT and DE in free agency will be the best thing for Ballard and the Colts in terms of getting proven talent and opening up draft capital possibilities.

2 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I mean I agree he wants competition and of course a glow replacement. You think they would carry all 3 (Pinter, Hunt, and the rookie)? I mean money wise they are nothing but roster wise? 

Well Pinter and Hunt as well as Meinerz could be backup Center as well right? And need a backup for Nelson, incase the unthinkable happens.

Pinter can probably backup 4 of 5 spots(RT) if need be also.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Very good draft as is, building upon a strength is necessary to stay ahead in the NFL. I think good LBs can be had with that 4th round pick. Plus, WRs and RBs have shown good ROI from the draft. I am with Archer, I doubt Ballard would spend a Day 1 or Day 2 pick on a CB if Rhodes, Carrie, Moore, RYS and Tell are all back.

Day 2 is my sweet spot for skill position guys and I would not be afraid to double down on a WR and TE from the draft on Day 2, to be honest. We cannot keep up with the Chiefs and can only play 1 style of game to win (play keep away primarily with timely defensive stops) and can never expect ourselves to win any shootout types of games without more in the cupboard for offensive skill positions for Wentz as QB, as it stands, IMO. Agholor showed promise with Carr for 1 year and probably might be happier being in an environment that allowed him to succeed over rehashing those 4 years with Wentz.

The only way this happens is with Ballard moving back and gaining another Day 2 pick, which I am at 90% that he does. Getting his LT and DE in free agency will be the best thing for Ballard and the Colts in terms of getting proven talent and opening up draft capital possibilities.

We re-signed Walker in this scenario and have youth all throughout our LB core.

Like with Hunt, Carrie is just a cheap depth vet, that might not even make final 53 when time comes. I don't think you rule out drafting anyone based on those signings. Rhodes isn't a long time answer(1 or 2 years), Tell is an uncertainty, Rock still has a lot to prove.

I don't know if LT and DE can both be solved in FA. I solved 1 with Hendrickson, and other with our 1st round pick.

I do agree there is a good chance Ballard trades back from #21, but stayed in that spot for this situation.

52 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Great job!

I really like the McKitty pick, was very impressed with him at the Senior Bowl. He is the right type of move TE we need.

Didn't realize that he moves so well.  If his measurables and scores are good enough, I could see a trade down to late second round and take him there.  Might be gone by our third.

13 minutes ago, w87r said:
26 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Well Pinter and Hunt as well as Meinerz could be backup Center as well right? And need a backup for Nelson, incase the unthinkable happens.

Pinter can probably backup 4 of 5 spots(RT) if need be also.

Pinter backs up 4 or 5 yes. Hunt backs up all interior. And Meinerz again would be all interior spots. They also need actual tackle depth. They have Holden plus Darrisaw in this case. So that would leave 9 o line guys for roster spots. Not sure if we keep 9. Especially if we end up with 3 QB’s this year. 

3 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Pinter backs up 4 or 5 yes. Hunt backs up all interior. And Meinerz again would be all interior spots. They also need actual tackle depth. They have Holden plus Darrisaw in this case. So that would leave 9 o line guys for roster spots. Not sure if we keep 9. Especially if we end up with 3 QB’s this year. 

Like I said above just because we sign Hunt and Carrie to vet minimum deal doesn't mean they make final roster. Gives us veteran depth in camp in case an injury occurs.

They count about $500k combined against top 51 salary with 2 other players currently signed that drop off of top 51.

People are to hung up on Hunt and Carrie signings, it doesn't mean they make the final 53. With all the signings listed here we still would need to sign 7 more guys to fill out training camp 90 man roster.

I can't get in line with the thought that, the signing of either of them, would make us look away from any player.

Hooooooweeee. That's a great offseason. Darrisaw and Newsome are my top 1-2 right now too. That'd uplift our team in many ways. I thing DE would be my biggest concern. I have some faith in some of our guys taking a step forward, but it does rely on Hendrickson or someone to carry the load. (Unless I missed someone lol)

6 minutes ago, funktacious2 said:

Hooooooweeee. That's a great offseason. Darrisaw and Newsome are my top 1-2 right now too. That'd uplift our team in many ways. I thing DE would be my biggest concern. I have some faith in some of our guys taking a step forward, but it does rely on Hendrickson or someone to carry the load. (Unless I missed someone lol)

Yeah would be relying on our guys and Hendrickson, I did draft a other guy in 5th round as well.

We have a little funds left at the end where we might be able to bring Muhammad back as well.

Great work. I think the breakdown shows a very realistic expectation of what they will actually be able to work with this offseason.

Re-signings:

I am going to operate under the assumption that both Rhodes and Walker walk...freeing up that cap space. Rhodes played well enough that someone will likely offer him an AAV that  Ballard can’t match, especially given how CBs get paid. And I think last season really exposed Walker as a weakness of the defense...meaning LB depth is a need once again. 

I noticed that Autry and Houston weren’t on there either. That will be an interesting decision to keep an eye on. I think it would be nice to have at least one of them back on a cheap one-year deal...but let’s for now assume they don’t.

The Leonard and Smith contracts would be big wins for Ballard. I am not as optimistic that they get them that low though. But let’s hope they do.

Trades:

I like that Doyle trade, but not sure if they could get it. I think it would likely be a 6th or 7th round pick if that. I think the TE market will be strong as well. However, if they can get anything for Doyle...and shed cap space...I am game. I think most would disagree because Doyle is a fan favorite, but at this point, I don’t think it would be a huge loss.

I think Ballard both trading from the roster and looking to acquire from other rosters will be something to keep an eye on. There could be many teams looking to dump good players to get under the cap. And throwing a late pick at a vet or two could be a very shrewd way to add a piece to a team that wants to contend.

But it’s impossible to project that, so for now, we can only predict potential trades from the Colts roster. And another player I could potentially see them trading is one of their Day 2 players from the 2018-19 draft.

Free Agents:

I have been very adamant about wanting a legit WR1. I know the money will be tough...but I think their will be a unique opportunity here and the Colts need to capitalize. 

But assuming that doesn’t happen, I would much rather pursue a guy like Samuel or even Corey Davis. For me, Agholor doesn’t move the needle. I know he has worked with Reich and obviously played with Wentz. But the reason he unceremoniously left PHI was because of the lack of overall success. Plus, the Colts could have signed him as a cheap FA last year and I don’t remember them being connected. So I don’t think Wentz being here would change the situation enough for them to buy that high. 

I would take Hendrickson at that price all day. But I think it will take $12M/year at least to get him. I do get weary of buying high on contract years.

I think a very realistic FA would be a reclamation project like Solomon Thomas. I don’t think they will be able to break the bank on EDGE. But if they could get both Hendrickson and Thomas for $15M/year combined (essentially what they were paying the combo of Autry and Houston)...that would be very intriguing.

Another area to be addressed would be TE. I like McKitty a lot as a project...but rookie TEs rarely ever make an impact, especially one as raw as McKitty. I think they need a TE that they can plug in anyways...but even more-so if Doyle is gone. Perhaps this could come from trade though. Either way, a vet TE is a must.

Draft:

I think this is spot on for what we will see. LT in the 1st round and then a CB or EDGE in the 2nd round. I really they draft a developmental TE as well.

Given the value of LTs, I think Cosmi will be the more realistic option (and I think I like his upside more). I could see them targeting Eichenberg as well...though I am not sure if he a top 25 player. I will have to look more at draft prospects now that this daily QB news is over.

11 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Great work. I think the breakdown shows a very realistic expectation of what they will actually be able to work with this offseason.

Re-signings:

I am going to operate under the assumption that both Rhodes and Walker walk...freeing up that cap space. Rhodes played well enough that someone will likely offer him an AAV that  Ballard can’t match, especially given how CBs get paid. And I think last season really exposed Walker as a weakness of the defense...meaning LB depth is a need once again. 

I noticed that Autry and Houston weren’t on there either. That will be an interesting decision to keep an eye on. I think it would be nice to have at least one of them back on a cheap one-year deal...but let’s for now assume they don’t.

The Leonard and Smith contracts would be big wins for Ballard. I am not as optimistic that they get them that low though. But let’s hope they do.

Trades:

I like that Doyle trade, but not sure if they could get it. I think it would likely be a 6th or 7th round pick if that. I think the TE market will be strong as well. However, if they can get anything for Doyle...and shed cap space...I am game. I think most would disagree because Doyle is a fan favorite, but at this point, I don’t think it would be a huge loss.

I think Ballard both trading from the roster and looking to acquire from other rosters will be something to keep an eye on. There could be many teams looking to dump good players to get under the cap. And throwing a late pick at a vet or two could be a very shrewd way to add a piece to a team that wants to contend.

But it’s impossible to project that, so for now, we can only predict potential trades from the Colts roster. And another player I could potentially see them trading is one of their Day 2 players from the 2018-19 draft.

Free Agents:

I have been very adamant about wanting a legit WR1. I know the money will be tough...but I think their will be a unique opportunity here and the Colts need to capitalize. 

But assuming that doesn’t happen, I would much rather pursue a guy like Samuel or even Corey Davis. For me, Agholor doesn’t move the needle. I know he has worked with Reich and obviously played with Wentz. But the reason he unceremoniously left PHI was because of the lack of overall success. Plus, the Colts could have signed him as a cheap FA last year and I don’t remember them being connected. So I don’t think Wentz being here would change the situation enough for them to buy that high. 

I would take Hendrickson at that price all day. But I think it will take $12M/year at least to get him. I do get weary of buying high on contract years.

I think a very realistic FA would be a reclamation project like Solomon Thomas. I don’t think they will be able to break the bank on EDGE. But if they could get both Hendrickson and Thomas for $15M/year combined (essentially what they were paying the combo of Autry and Houston)...that would be very intriguing.

Another area to be addressed would be TE. I like McKitty a lot as a project...but rookie TEs rarely ever make an impact, especially one as raw as McKitty. I think they need a TE that they can plug in anyways...but even more-so if Doyle is gone. Perhaps this could come from trade though. Either way, a vet TE is a must.

Draft:

I think this is spot on for what we will see. LT in the 1st round and then a CB or EDGE in the 2nd round. I really they draft a developmental TE as well.

Given the value of LTs, I think Cosmi will be the more realistic option (and I think I like his upside more). I could see them targeting Eichenberg as well...though I am not sure if he a top 25 player. I will have to look more at draft prospects now that this daily QB news is over.

Thanks for the response.

I personally would like Houston back.

Funny thing about your response, is I actually had Autry coming back then as I preceded through the rest, I went back and switched him out for Walker.

Kinda same thing with Rhodes, I had moved to trade section and was going to trade our 2nd and RYS for Lattimore, but went back up and remembered I re-signed Rhodes, so I left that out.

Corey Davis is intriguing to me as well, Samuel doesn't move the needle for me too much. I do like hik though. Big part of Agholor is mainly connections, I thought we would check in on him last year, not sure if we ever did though.?

Solomon Thomas is intriguing even more so with Buckner vouching for him.

Agree about Vet presence at TE as well. Wouldn't rule out bringing Burton back for cheap, or Ertz in when Philly inevitably releases him. I just don't see anyone taking him at his $8.25m base next year.

I think Doyle could get a 4th or 5th though.

I like this a lot.  I just have a hard time seeing them trading Doyle.  I have heard Ballard really praise him in the past for all of the right reasons.  I believe he's a local product as well.  I still consider him an asset to the team and his cap hit is not astronomical.  If they do trade him to a non contender I could see him just retiring.  I think he wants to finish his career as a Colt.  He's close to the end.  Just let him play it out.  

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I like this a lot.  I just have a hard time seeing them trading Doyle.  I have heard Ballard really praise him in the past for all of the right reasons.  I believe he's a local product as well.  I still consider him an asset to the team and his cap hit is not astronomical.  If they do trade him to a non contender I could see him just retiring.  I think he wants to finish his career as a Colt.  He's close to the end.  Just let him play it out.  

Thanks.

Yeah he is from Indy.

His contract isn't to bad if he was a #1 TE and getting majority of work, but he is/was part a 3 man committee and that is hard to justify $5m+/yr.

He does play his role very well, it's just a lot, IMO.

Just feel like with money tight that $4.35m in saving could be used in a better way.

2 hours ago, w87r said:

Thanks for the input.

Personally I feel like you could go WR earlier than you did or double up on a position like corner where depth is thin and Rhodes is only coming back on a 1 year deal. Remember Ballard has shown that he isn’t afraid to double up in the draft. He drafted 3 LBs, 2 OGs (has said he saw Smith as a guard), and 2 RBs in 2018. Could have doubled up on TEs too. Kitty is a good pick but Burton is a FA meaning the only TEs you’d have on roster is are a rookie and Cox.

Safety depth is an option as well since Hooker is likely gone. A 7th round safety might not even make the team. You also could have went LB as well because while Okereke will probably slide over to Walker’s spot, we could use another LB since Ballard loves to keep a bunch in stock.

Like @ArcherI'm not huge on the Agholor signing. Especially since he had his biggest troubles with Wentz as his QB. He's also been primarily a slot receiver in his career(80-92% in the slot), and if we have a WR spot covered that's the slot - both Pittman and Campbell have shown they are most productive there. I would prefer us get an outside receiver.

Otherwise I like what you did, especially with the extensions. I wonder if Q wouldn't push for extension too, since he's arguably the best of them and still on rookie deal. He sure has the stature to demand early money. 

From own FA - I would let Walker go, but for that $ I guess I wouldn't mind it. 

Trey Hendrickson is an good signing at that pricepoint. I wonder if they will let him go. 

Love the draft. If Meinerz falls to the 4th he's a no brainer. He was so good at the Senior Bowl... I haven't watched McKitty so I will have to see what he's like. I love Darrisaw in the 1st too... 

Cheers,  great attempt. I'm preparing one of those of my own that takes a bit of a different approach. Stay tuned... 

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Personally I feel like you could go WR earlier than you did or double up on a position like corner where depth is thin and Rhodes is only coming back on a 1 year deal. Remember Ballard has shown that he isn’t afraid to double up in the draft. He drafted 3 LBs, 2 OGs (has said he saw Smith as a guard), and 2 RBs in 2018. Could have doubled up on TEs too. Kitty is a good pick but Burton is a FA meaning the only TEs you’d have on roster is are a rookie and Cox.

Safety depth is an option as well since Hooker is likely gone. A 7th round safety might not even make the team. You also could have went LB as well because while Okereke will probably slide over to Walker’s spot, we could use another LB since Ballard loves to keep a bunch in stock.

Thanks for response.

To play on a couple points here. Quite a few have talked about no reason to take a CB in here, which I don't agree with. So thanks for validating me taking (1).

I do agree about the TE, I even think Burton could be brought back after all the action. Now he has the Reich and Wentz connection.

As far as LB, I really feel like we have a lot of solid young guys.(Oke, Franklin, Speed, Adams, Glasgow), without mentioning Walker(which I re-signed here)or Leonard.

To the last point, safety, I think Carrie could play back there of needed also might be a spot where RYS maybe transitions to of he continually struggles. Safeties seem to be able to be brought in fairly cheaply throughout the offseason and season if need be. (Adams, Wilson, etc)

9 minutes ago, w87r said:

Thanks.

Yeah he is from Indy.

His contract isn't to bad if he was a #1 TE and getting majority of work, but he is/was part a 3 man committee and that is hard to justify $5m+/yr.

He does play his role very well, it's just a lot, IMO.

Just feel like with money tight that $4.35m in saving could be used in a better way.

I understand your point.  The Colts have pretty much been a 3 man committee for awhile now.  When they resigned him the intent was to use that rotation.  We brought in Ebron and Burton this year and felt comfortable those years with his contract.  Considering all of the positive intangibles he brings to the locker room and team $4.35m is not really overpaying in my mind but I guess we shall see soon enough how Ballard feels. 

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

Like @ArcherI'm not huge on the Agholor signing. Especially since he had his biggest troubles with Wentz as his QB. He's also been primarily a slot receiver in his career(80-92% in the slot), and if we have a WR spot covered that's the slot - both Pittman and Campbell have shown they are most productive there. I would prefer us get an outside receiver.

Otherwise I like what you did, especially with the extensions. I wonder if Q wouldn't push for extension too, since he's arguably the best of them and still on rookie deal. He sure has the stature to demand early money. 

From own FA - I would let Walker go, but for that $ I guess I wouldn't mind it. 

Trey Hendrickson is an good signing at that pricepoint. I wonder if they will let him go. 

Love the draft. If Meinerz falls to the 4th he's a no brainer. He was so good at the Senior Bowl... I haven't watched McKitty so I will have to see what he's like. I love Darrisaw in the 1st too... 

Cheers,  great attempt. I'm preparing one of those of my own that takes a bit of a different approach. Stay tuned... 

I think Q will be a year behind with his extension. He has a big 5th year option that will guarantee him good money, so I think that will hold him over an extra year.

I almost let Walker walk, I switched him in for Autry after I signed Hendrickson.

I don't see any chance NO can hold onto him, tbh.

Looking forward to see your new one, unless you are trading up for QB.

:peek:

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I understand your point.  The Colts have pretty much been a 3 man committee for awhile now.  When they resigned him the intent was to use that rotation.  We brought in Ebron and Burton this year and felt comfortable those years with his contract.  Considering all of the positive intangibles he brings to the locker room and team $4.35m is not really overpaying in my mind but I guess we shall see soon enough how Ballard feels. 

He actually cost us around $5.8m this year. We can save the $4.35m by letting him go.

He does bring intangibles and is capable of putting up #1option numbers when used that way though. Just want to see more of Mo, and we still do have a couple other young guys as well.

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

I think Q will be a year behind with his extension. He has a big 5th year option that will guarantee him good money, so I think that will hold him oved an extra year.

I almost let Walker walk, I switched him in for Autry after I signed Hendrickson.

I don't see any chance NO can hold onto him, tbh.

Looking forward to see you new one, unless you are trading up for QB.

:peek:

#21 + conditional 1st(whichever one we get - the 1st or the 2nd from the Wentz deal) for Dallas no.10... pick Trey Lance. :Yikes:

1 minute ago, Hark said:

Nice work, @w87r! Don't know a ton about Meinerz, but I love the other draft picks. Appreciate the effort all you guys put into doing these mocks.

Thanks,

Common theme of most my draft picks was Senior bowl appearance/performance.

Ballard seems to love him some senior bowl guys.

Archived