Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Red zone efficiency

WoolMagnet

I’m frustrated.  We (almost) played the “perfect” game.  The game plan was great... time of possession, field position, scheme, good mix of run/pass, etc.  Moved the ball well.

But 2 of 5 in the red zone (40%) and 1 of 2 goal to go?  Buffalo was 100% in both.

I think Reich had the team ready, and gad a great game plan.  However, with all his stats on when to go for 4th downs or 2 points, i think he fails to factor in the “momentum effect.”  
Coming away with nothing after long sustained drives affects the team and boosts the opponents AND the fans.  Working the score back to seven, only to go tor 2 failing which made the fap 8 points affects the psyche of the team and gives a boost to the opponent.  We saw it many times this year where we were we were moving, got a lil “cute”, and momentum shifted.
  I love Franks aggressive nature , but repeatedly thru the season i felt he got a little cute and greedy in the red zone.  Perhaps this added to our poor red zone efficiency.

Take the points, Frank.  Especially on the road.

(This isnt a “replace Frank” thread, just my opinion on an observation. 

That was the difference in the game. 2 of 5 in the red zone leads to losing against a good team every time. But we had trouble in the red zone all year! We are still a few players away and we need to get the QB position fixed for the future.

1 minute ago, Fluke_33 said:

They don’t last as long though.  I bet Buffalo fans cringed every time Allen ran

I'm not talking a run first QB like Jackson. Just someone who is mobile enough that the defense can't ignore to option of taking off and running if the opening is there.

3 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I’m frustrated.  We (almost) played the “perfect” game.  The game plan was great... time of possession, field position, scheme, good mix of run/pass, etc.  Moved the ball well.

But 2 of 5 in the red zone (40%) and 1 of 2 goal to go?  Buffalo was 100% in both.

I think Reich had the team ready, and gad a great game plan.  However, with all his stats on when to go for 4th downs or 2 points, i think he fails to factor in the “momentum effect.”  
Coming away with nothing after long sustained drives affects the team and boosts the opponents AND the fans.  Working the score back to seven, only to go tor 2 failing which made the fap 8 points affects the psyche of the team and gives a boost to the opponent.  We saw it many times this year where we were we were moving, got a lil “cute”, and momentum shifted.
  I love Franks aggressive nature , but repeatedly thru the season i felt he got a little cute and greedy in the red zone.  Perhaps this added to our poor red zone efficiency.

Take the points, Frank.  Especially on the road.

(This isnt a “replace Frank” thread, just my opinion on an observation. 

This times 100!

Could not agree more.

I understand based on film they thought they would have a walk in with that pitch on third and goal.

But Taylor was playing well and has been feeling it. If you are going to go for it on fourth down anyhow you run the ball up the gut or off tackle behind a very good run blocking RT in Braden Smith and you do that two times. If you don't get it you are likely at the 1 instead of the 5 and who knows what happens on that drive where Buffalo takes over.

I really have gotten sick of the JB short yardage package situation simply because everytime he comes in a team knows it is a sneak or a run. Don't tip your hand. We moved the ball great between the 20s and then overthought things inside the 20. Hopefully that is something that improves in future years.

I also agree that it would not hurt to have a little mobility at QB simply to be able to move the pocket and do some other things offensively.

But this isn't much on Rivers this game other than that 4th down missed throw to Pittman and I can't fault him too much for one error in a tough spot.

1 hour ago, life long said:

Yeah because they never got hurt...

With Wentz, that's a bit of a myth.  He hasn't missed as many games as people not paying attention assume he has.

Luck?  Luck basically had no choice.  With the team Grigson constructed around him, he either risked harm or lost.

On top of that, it's difficult to win with a statue like Rivers in today's NFL.  The idea you're going to keep a QB entirely in the pocket and protect him from harm Manning-style isn't going to fly in the 20's.

11 minutes ago, #12. said:

1.With Wentz, that's a bit of a myth.  He hasn't missed as many games as people not paying attention assume he has.

2.Luck?  Luck basically had no choice.  With the team Grigson constructed around him, he either risked harm or lost.

3.On top of that, it's difficult to win with a statue like Rivers in today's NFL.  The idea you're going to keep a QB entirely in the pocket and protect him from harm Manning-style isn't going to fly in the 20's.

1.Some might say that missing games or playing hurt would hurt the team regardless. 

2. He had a choice. One of the smartest plays a QB can make is to wait for the next play.

3. I will agree the NFL is moving towards a more mobile QB but Mahomes and Rodgers are the type I'd prefer over a Luck or Wentz.

2 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

Watch reich’ s press conference.  He looks shocked that we lost.  He is certainly a man of conviction as he always preaches.  I agree we should have taken the point but I can also see his aggressive nature getting us a super bowl one day.  

Finaly someone said it.

Loved the Dungy/Jim era, but the lack of agressiveness drove me crazy lot of times.

I can live with agressive. On to 2021.

57 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

We literally can’t run a bootleg/rollout at the goal line with Rivers. Forget about extending a broken play. That definitely limits the offense.

It’s amazing that Rivers is fifth all time in TDs when his lack of mobility is such an impediment. 

59 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

We literally can’t run a bootleg/rollout at the goal line with Rivers. Forget about extending a broken play. That definitely limits the offense.

Which is why if we do end drafting a QB sin the first round we could use them on plays like that plus keep rivers for another year.  Would give the rookie some experience while still having rivers for stability.  

7 hours ago, Bolts2Colts said:

In the red zone it would help if Colts had receivers who could catch the jump balls. Remember Vincent Jackson outjumping Bob Sanders in the playoffs. Saw those plays a lot with Chargers and don’t remember a single one this season with the Colts.  

I wonder how many end zone targets from inside the 20 MAC had this year ?

I don't recall any, but surely there was one or two. Seemingly should have been 

a lot more of em. 

2 hours ago, indykmj said:

I wonder how many end zone targets from inside the 20 MAC had this year ?

I don't recall any, but surely there was one or two. Seemingly should have been 

a lot more of em. 

Yes he looked very promising early on. It was disclosed after the playoff game that he was hampered by a knee injury this season. He could be a great red zone target. 

Archived