Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts at Jets: Good, Bad, and the Ugly

EastStreet

Good
-Rivers looked crisp and accurate for a 2nd week in a row. Nice zip too.
-Mo is looking more and more legit, and led the team in separation.
-TY got a little better separation, and was 3/3.
-Taylor did pretty well against a good run D
-Hines in the passing game again, thank you
-Pittman coming on, Fountain getting his feet wet
-Zero turnovers on O!
-Three INT turnovers on D including two P6s.
-Rhodes looking more like 2016 and 17, than 18 and 19. PFF now 89.0. That's huge.
-Great game by S Tavon Wilson. 2 TFL, 4 solo Ts, 1 PD in only 36% of snaps. Blackmon has comp.
-So fun watching Buckner. Disruptive and 88.6 PFF.
-AQM continues to exceed expectation pass rushing (2 QBHs)
-OL gave up zero sacks, and zero TFLs.

Bad
-Running Hines between the Ts too much, and especially goal line.
-Offense only scoring 20 on a bad NYJ team
-O gameplan of Pass/Run mix of 25/31 vs a good run D. 
-Banogu not much production despite logging 38% of D snaps

-Not really bad, but Blackmon was went a bit quiet after a nice debut.
-Another kicking team miss. Sorry, after rewatching, the snap and hold didn't look bad.
-Even though our DL got pressure, we should have had more sacks vs that OL. Our quickest sack was Houston's 5 second sack, which is pretty slow.

Ugly
-Okes coverage on NYJ's first TD. PFF a horrible 45.0 so far in 2020
-Willis coverage at times, especially at the 8:31 mark in the 2nd.
-Tackling early. We made Darnold look like Lamar Jackson running around the yard
-Pittman injury. 

11 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Defense cleaned up in the 2nd quarter and 2nd half. But yes, at the start we made him look like Mahomes with the awful attempts at tackling. Lots of coverage issues need to be cleaned up. 

The 3 recycled DBs (Wilson, Carrie, and Rhodes) all played well lol. 

Definitely agree about Okereke, I personally remember 3 plays where he was 5 feet behind the guy he was covering. Darnold missed one that would've been a 20+ yarder.

Hot Rod better stop clanking the iron on kicks as well. I'm still nervous with any type of kick.

We look 'solid' overall so let's hope for improvement.

It will be good if Tavon W. can keep playing well... I don't see him being major competition to Blackmon, but as Blackmon is still getting used to that knee, it'll be nice if we can rest him around ~2/3 of the game and not drop off.  I wouldn't mind 50/50 or whatever the coaches decide if T.W. can keep up play like yesterday, but IMO, the coaches are gonna do everything they can to keep Blackmon on the right path to recovery. Even though he's out on the field and playing well, that injury usually takes a while for all strength, etc. to be fully returned.

5 minutes ago, IinD said:

Definitely agree about Okereke, I personally remember 3 plays where he was 5 feet behind the guy he was covering. Darnold missed one that would've been a 20+ yarder.

Yup. IIRC, the WR dropped it badly too.

I think Oke is leading the team in missed tackles through the first two games as well. I'll take a look Wednesday when the advanced stuff comes out for the Jets game on that topic, but pretty sure he whiffed on a least one again.

5 minutes ago, IinD said:

Hot Rod better stop clanking the iron on kicks as well. I'm still nervous with any type of kick.

I just don't have a good feeling about Hot Rod right now. 

Chase is sitting on the Vikes PS lol... 

22 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

It will be good if Tavon W. can keep playing well... I don't see him being major competition to Blackmon, but as Blackmon is still getting used to that knee, it'll be nice if we can rest him around ~2/3 of the game and not drop off.  I wouldn't mind 50/50 or whatever the coaches decide if T.W. can keep up play like yesterday, but IMO, the coaches are gonna do everything they can to keep Blackmon on the right path to recovery. Even though he's out on the field and playing well, that injury usually takes a while for all strength, etc. to be fully returned.

Wondering what scheme Wilson came from. Might do some research on him tonight. I know he was drafted 2nd round by the Pats, who have a lot of DBs. Perhaps a change in scheme has done him well. He started out at FS with them, and moved to SS IIRC. 

Regardless, hell of game he played this week. An 82.5 PFF is very strong.

16 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Wondering what scheme Wilson came from. Might do some research on him tonight. I know he was drafted 2nd round by the Pats, who have a lot of DBs. Perhaps a change in scheme has done him well. He started out at FS with them, and moved to SS IIRC. 

Regardless, hell of game he played this week. An 82.5 PFF is very strong.

Yes, I had to look up his number... ha, I saw Q. Wilson (our former 31) was out for NYJ before the game and when I saw a highlight of 31 Wilson with a Colts jersey on, for some reason (I was watching in a bar without sound on the Colts game) I thought "oh maybe they're doing some sort of deal about how many Jets used to be Colts.." then after a few more big plays, I realized we had a new #31 Wilson in town.. like you said, he playing sparingly, but he played very well (From what I could tell) when he was in there...

He was in Detroit the past 3 seasons... I'm not sure if he switched from FS to SS or what he did there, but I know last year was his best year, stats wise.

2 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Yes, I had to look up his number... ha, I saw Q. Wilson (our former 31) was out for NYJ before the game and when I saw a highlight of 31 Wilson with a Colts jersey on, for some reason (I was watching in a bar without sound on the Colts game) I thought "oh maybe they're doing some sort of deal about how many Jets used to be Colts.." then after a few more big plays, I realized we had a new #31 Wilson in town.. like you said, he playing sparingly, but he played very well (From what I could tell) when he was in there...

He was in Detroit the past 3 seasons... I'm not sure if he switched from FS to SS or what he did there, but I know last year was his best year, stats wise.

Yep, I know he was in Detroit, I just don't know the scheme.

I found it interesting BB drafted him early, and he spent 4 years in NE. That alone gives it a little mystery and romance.

I think some of our depth payers have stepped up in the last two weeks and given us nice production. MAC, Wilkins, Carrie and Wilson have had good moments. Stallworth has been solid rotating in for Big Grover too. 

The Bears will be a big test for our offense, now that we are essentially down 3 starting skill position players. We will need more players to step up (Fountain, Dulin, possibly Patmon)

I expect our defense to play well against the Bears O.

27 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yep, I know he was in Detroit, I just don't know the scheme.

I found it interesting BB drafted him early, and he spent 4 years in NE. That alone gives it a little mystery and romance.

From what I can tell, he was pretty decent in NE, but he was behind two very good safeties so his chances of starting were next to nill, and BB figured he could replace him with another 4 year rookie deal youngster. 

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

When the defense scores twice,  it will hinder the ability of the offense to score more than 20.  Also,  backups finished the game.   I don't see the offense scoring 20 a bad thing

We only had two good sustained drives all game. One each half. That's just not good vs the Jets. Our 3rd down conversation % isn't a good stat anyway you spin it. 

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

From what I can tell, he was pretty decent in NE, but he was behind two very good safeties so his chances of starting were next to nill, and BB figured he could replace him with another 4 year rookie deal youngster. 

That's why it's mysterious and romantic lol (all the good DBs in NE). 

I thought I read he was a starter in Detroit last year. Just wondering why he was discarded and how we got him cheap.

Just checked out Nextgen's gamecenter stats for the game.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/game-center

River's tore it up all over the field, especially the right side.

On D, our left side D, is noticeably better than our seam and right side D.

Rushing - no surprise, but Hines with 3 attempts and 3 yards between the Ts. I thought that 11 yard run was between the Ts, but guess it was outside the LT. Taylor's between the T running was better than I expected with 8 for 42.

And while Muhammad only had 1 QBH, his penetration stats (aver QB sep) is pretty darn good (comparable to Buckner). 

56 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Just checked out Nextgen's gamecenter stats for the game.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/game-center

River's tore it up all over the field, especially the right side.

On D, our left side D, is noticeably better than our seam and right side D.

Rushing - no surprise, but Hines with 3 attempts and 3 yards between the Ts. I thought that 11 yard run was between the Ts, but guess it was outside the LT. Taylor's between the T running was better than I expected with 8 for 42.

And while Muhammad only had 1 QBH, his penetration stats (aver QB sep) is pretty darn good (comparable to Buckner). 

Yeah, Hines isn't, nor ever has been, a true RB.  He's a 3rd down pass catcher or a specialty play guy that has to get the ball on a hand off occasionally to keep the D honest.  He has had to fill in as a backup RB over the years because of injuries or roster limitations.

30 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, Hines isn't, nor ever has been, a true RB.  He's a 3rd down pass catcher or a specialty play guy that has to get the ball on a hand off occasionally to keep the D honest.  He has had to fill in as a backup RB over the years because of injuries or roster limitations.

He's simply an APB. Running him power/man blocking on goal line is epic dumb. I don't mind an occasional between the Ts run to keep Ds honest when he's in, but not in short or goal line. He should be primary zone read blocking, and edge when he runs. A few power/man up the gut when teams are in deep zone is fine too.

16 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Good
-Rivers looked crisp and accurate for a 2nd week in a row. Nice zip too.
-Mo is looking more and more legit, and led the team in separation.
-TY got a little better separation, and was 3/3.
-Taylor did pretty well against a good run D
-Hines in the passing game again, thank you
-Pittman coming on, Fountain getting his feet wet
-Zero turnovers on O!
-Three INT turnovers on D including two P6s.
-Rhodes looking more like 2016 and 17, than 18 and 19. PFF now 89.0. That's huge.
-Great game by S Tavon Wilson. 2 TFL, 4 solo Ts, 1 PD in only 36% of snaps. Blackmon has comp.
-So fun watching Buckner. Disruptive and 88.6 PFF.
-AQM continues to exceed expectation pass rushing (2 QBHs)
-OL gave up zero sacks, and zero TFLs.

Bad
-Running Hines between the Ts too much, and especially goal line.
-Offense only scoring 20 on a bad NYJ team
-O gameplan of Pass/Run mix of 25/31 vs a good run D. 
-Banogu not much production despite logging 38% of D snaps

-Not really bad, but Blackmon was went a bit quiet after a nice debut.
-Another kicking team miss. Sorry, after rewatching, the snap and hold didn't look bad.
-Even though our DL got pressure, we should have had more sacks vs that OL. Our quickest sack was Houston's 5 second sack, which is pretty slow.

Ugly
-Okes coverage on NYJ's first TD. PFF a horrible 45.0 so far in 2020
-Willis coverage at times, especially at the 8:31 mark in the 2nd.
-Tackling early. We made Darnold look like Lamar Jackson running around the yard
-Pittman injury. 

The offense played pretty well.  They did only score 20 but lost 2 possessions to pick 6's  and lost the last 10 minutes by taking the "foot off the pedal." Run game was a bit disappointing but the rest was good.

54 minutes ago, dw49 said:

The offense played pretty well.  They did only score 20 but lost 2 possessions to pick 6's  and lost the last 10 minutes by taking the "foot off the pedal." Run game was a bit disappointing but the rest was good.

Too many stalled drives before we too the foot off. Run game did not surprise me given NYJ were 2nd best vs the run last year. The INTs didn't really equate to lost possessions. They were simply an interruption in an opponent's possession that gave us points. 

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Him and Autry are really benefitting from the presence of Buckner. They're both creating pressure on a regular basis and if a team decides to double either of them, they're most likely giving Buckner a 1v1. I've been really encouraged by our DL so far and hope adding Turay's athleticism will only bolster that unit.

26 minutes ago, Shive said:

Him and Autry are really benefitting from the presence of Buckner. They're both creating pressure on a regular basis and if a team decides to double either of them, they're most likely giving Buckner a 1v1. I've been really encouraged by our DL so far and hope adding Turay's athleticism will only bolster that unit.

Yes, it's truly fun seeing more "action" up front, even when we're not getting home. I think Autry is simply benefiting more from playing more DE. He's a much better DE than he is a DT. I expected that to happen to be honest. I wasn't expecting Muhammad to do much better though given all the "more a Sheard type run stopper" we've been hearing. 

I do want to see them get home more often. We were soooooooo close several times, and Darnold just popped out somehow. Really hoping Turay gets back. He's still a mystery to me though given his college days, and how he's evolved. 

54 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The INTs didn't really equate to lost possessions. They were simply an interruption in an opponent's possession that gave us points. 

I see your point.   If anything, they prolonged the time that the Jets Offense had the ball.   Gave them a kick off and and a new possession.  

12 minutes ago, Myles said:

I see your point.   If anything, they prolonged the time that the Jets Offense had the ball.   Gave them a kick off and and a new possession.  

Both P6 came early in drives. The first was 2ish minutes into the drive, the second 1ish minute. The first was on the first possession of the game too. Impact to our O opportunity was minimal. We possessed the ball 10 times. 4 punts, 2 FGs, missed FG, 2 TDs.

We even INT'd the ball another time which gave us the ball. And got a safety after a less than 2 minute possession by NY. 

We just need to get better on 3rd down, score more TDs than FGs, and stop missing FGs of 40 or less.

22 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Both P6 came early in drives. The first was 2ish minutes into the drive, the second 1ish minute. The first was on the first possession of the game too. Impact to our O opportunity was minimal. We possessed the ball 10 times. 4 punts, 2 FGs, missed FG, 2 TDs.

We even INT'd the ball another time which gave us the ball. And got a safety after a less than 2 minute possession by NY. 

We just need to get better on 3rd down, score more TDs than FGs, and stop missing FGs of 40 or less.

What was the 10th possession?  Maybe end of half or game?

I agree that it didn't have a huge impact on the time the offense had to play.   Just a bit though.  i was fine with the offense scoring 20 points.   Not thrilled with the 3rd down efficiency, but I think they went conservative early when they seen they were in control.  

11 minutes ago, Myles said:

What was the 10th possession?  Maybe end of half or game?

I agree that it didn't have a huge impact on the time the offense had to play.   Just a bit though.  i was fine with the offense scoring 20 points.   Not thrilled with the 3rd down efficiency, but I think they went conservative early when they seen they were in control.  

10th was end of the game. 

2 for 10, or if you want, 2 of 9 (for TDs), vs the NYJs just sucks to me :thmup:

I'm honestly more irritated we didn't try to get the young pass catchers more experience than anything. 

It was the perfect opportunity to practice in a game day situation and work some of the bugs out before we play a good defensive team like Chicago. 

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

10th was end of the game. 

2 for 10, or if you want, 2 of 9 (for TDs), vs the NYJs just sucks to me :thmup:

I'm honestly more irritated we didn't try to get the young pass catchers more experience than anything. 

It was the perfect opportunity to practice in a game day situation and work some of the bugs out before we play a good defensive team like Chicago. 

i also would have liked them to practice a bit since the game was in control most of the way.   2.22 points per drive (using 9 drives) would have been 12th in the league last season.  But it was the Jets and should have been more, but I'd argue that the Jets defense is much better than the Jets offense.  

15 minutes ago, Myles said:

i also would have liked them to practice a bit since the game was in control most of the way.   2.22 points per drive (using 9 drives) would have been 12th in the league last season.  But it was the Jets and should have been more, but I'd argue that the Jets defense is much better than the Jets offense.  

Jets run D is good, pass D sucks. 

You have to factor 10 on that lol. So 2, and 18th, which is just not good vs NY

Overall, we're 2.42 and 14th this year so far.

What is also bad, is we're 23rd in red zone %

23 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Jets run D is good, pass D sucks. 

You have to factor 10 on that lol. So 2, and 18th, which is just not good vs NY

Overall, we're 2.42 and 14th this year so far.

What is also bad, is we're 23rd in red zone %

I hope that improves and there is some reason to think it will.   I attribute it 50/50 to:

Rivers being new to the team and minimal training camp and no preseason.

Reich's play calling.   Getting too cute for his own good.

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

I hope that improves and there is some reason to think it will.   I attribute it 50/50 to:

Rivers being new to the team and minimal training camp and no preseason.

Reich's play calling.   Getting too cute for his own good.

I just wish we'd simply be balanced, but try to attack opponents' weaknesses. 

I'm really trying to be patient  :panic:. I figure 3-4 games should be enough to work the bugs out from a player perspective. 

Not sure 3-4 games will change bad schemes, game plans, or play calling though. 

On 9/28/2020 at 7:26 PM, Colt Overseas said:

I think some of our depth payers have stepped up in the last two weeks and given us nice production. MAC, Wilkins, Carrie and Wilson have had good moments. Stallworth has been solid rotating in for Big Grover too. 

The Bears will be a big test for our offense, now that we are essentially down 3 starting skill position players. We will need more players to step up (Fountain, Dulin, possibly Patmon)

I expect our defense to play well against the Bears O.

the funny thing is i bet fountain and patmon end up being better and replacing cambell and pitman and being better in the long run.  patmon is a better fast version of pitman and the staff loves fountain even kept him last year even though he was injured .  these two will be studs.

16 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

the funny thing is i bet fountain and patmon end up being better and replacing cambell and pitman and being better in the long run.  patmon is a better fast version of pitman and the staff loves fountain even kept him last year even though he was injured .  these two will be studs.

Both may be true, but both have a lot of work to do. The dig on Patmon, is he doesn't play to his size. Even his coach spoke opening about it. He's only a few tiny ticks faster than Pittman, so it's really a push. And Pitman is more advance routed running as well. Fountain is not nearly as dynamic as PC, but Fountain can climb better than PC. I love all 4 WRs to be honest. PC's only issue is health. And that's been a huge issue.

Colts D-backs looked good. But NYJ has a mediocre WR group. And that's their starters, none of

whom played on Sunday.

The Colt C's pressed a bunch early on which is a welcome site. But that's much easier to do vs backup

WRs.

Robinson and to a lesser degree, Miller will be a much tougher challenge this coming Sunday.  

4 hours ago, indykmj said:

Colts D-backs looked good. But NYJ has a mediocre WR group. And that's their starters, none of

whom played on Sunday.

The Colt C's pressed a bunch early on which is a welcome site. But that's much easier to do vs backup

WRs.

Robinson and to a lesser degree, Miller will be a much tougher challenge this coming Sunday.  

Yep. Should be tougher all around, in all phases.

Archived