Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Add two

PrincetonTiger

2 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I'd say this doesn't bode well for Patterson at this point. Perhaps his knee is still balky or isn't close to full strength yet. Allows them to have Eldrenkamp as a true guard and Pinter perhaps as the swing man at tackle and guard?

I agree 

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

Can't really find much on the DB other than his combine workout where he dropped no balls and tested well overall. 

Same here

5 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

They also signed Andrew Vollert a few days ago at Tight End......his measurables are off the charts and his video looks good, of course.....

I'd love to get excited, but comes from a super small college, and has been waived by 4 teams in two years. I like the highlights though.

I absolutely loved Hunt's tape. he looks like he could even start if God forbid, something happened to Kelly. Not sure on the DB, I think he's more of a wildcard, while Vollert looks like he has a lot of potential if he hits. 

I definitely think either Hunt or Vollert will end up making up the team over Patterson or Cox/Burton.

37 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'd love to get excited, but comes from a super small college, and has been waived by 4 teams in two years. I like the highlights though.

I swear, we get these same TE types every preseason. They look great on paper, great measurables and careers are small schools.  But, like you said, there’s a reason they don’t get drafted or make other teams.

But hey, maybe it’s like the lottery, the more chances you take, the better odds of hitting.  

11 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

By all indications he was set on making the 53 and contribute when he hurt his knee while with the Chargers.

IDK. He got hurt in the preseaon, but was eligible prior to injury. No catches in the time prior. The thing that sticks out to me, is he was waived by Carolina right before coming to us, and Carolina is in big need of TEs. 

We've got some Charger fans on here, so would love to hear from them. 

7 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I swear, we get these same TE types every preseason. They look great on paper, great measurables and careers are small schools.  But, like you said, there’s a reason they don’t get drafted or make other teams.

But hey, maybe it’s like the lottery, the more chances you take, the better odds of hitting.  

Same with WRs. Lots of kids with great measureables and potential. 

If we're going off just measureables and potential, take a look at the kid from Monmouth (Shawn Clark). Led the team, the conference, and is 6-8. Plays more like a big WR. I'd love to stash him on the PS for a year and see what happens after some legit S&C time.

12 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I absolute loved Hunt's tape. he looks like he could even start if God forbid, something happened to Kelly. Not sure on the DB, I think he's more of a wildcard, while Vollert looks like he has a lot of potential if he hits. 

I definitely think either Hunt or Vollert will end up making up the team over Patterson or Cox/Burton.

Wut? We kept MAC when we had both Doyle and Ebron last year, and a lot of other guys coming in and out during camp. I don't see Burton going anywhere either given his familiarity with Reich and what we've heard from camp so far. Maybe a 4th TE if we keep that many.

As far as center goes, reports saying Pinter is getting a good amount of snaps at C. I'd love it though if Hunt was an upgrade at depth though. He wasn't all that great at Seattle last year. PFF is 50s. He was also passed over by the Browns and Lions before he made it here.

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Wut? We kept MAC when we had both Doyle and Ebron last year, and a lot of other guys coming in and out during camp. I don't see Burton going anywhere either given his familiarity with Reich and what we've heard from camp so far. Maybe a 4th TE if we keep that many.

As far as center goes, reports saying Pinter is getting a good amount of snaps at C. I'd love it though if Hunt was an upgrade at depth though. He wasn't all that great at Seattle last year. PFF is 50s. He was also passed over by the Browns and Lions before he made it here.

HEY! Don't you put that valid knowledge on me! :) I honestly think Burton is terrible, and it'll be my bold prediction he gets cut for Vollert, so we'll see. To me, Burton is replaceable. Pinter is G/C so he'll play 3 spots as a hybrid-type guy, but I would guess hunt should make the team as the primary backup C. I can't dispute the PFF ranks, but he looks intelligent and has solid technique and can be coached up. For a backup, he's probably fine this year. 

Edit: Actually, I did some extra research on Burton, and I mistakenly thought he was a terrible blocker. He's actually a great blocker. NM. Really the only negative is he's a short TE and he had one injury year.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

HEY! Don't you put that valid knowledge on me! :) I honestly think Burton is terrible, and it'll be my bold prediction he gets cut for Vollert, so we'll see. To me, Burton is replaceable. Pinter is G/C so he'll play 3 spots as a hybrid-type guy, but I would guess hunt should make the team as the primary backup C. I can't dispute the PFF ranks, but he looks intelligent and has solid technique and can be coached up. For a backup, he's probably fine this year. 

If I'm honest, I'm not a huge Burton fan either.:thmup:  At least not as a prototypical TE. Just too short and doesn't bring the same ceiling in the RZ as a normal TE. That said, I think he can be used creatively as a detached threat and hybrid TE/HBack/Big-slot. In Chicago, he had a bad QB. In Philly, he was playing behind Ertz but did have some good moments. IMO, he'll be more bully slot than anything else, which slot routes are similar to TE routes anyway. The biggest reason I don't see him going anywhere is the history with Reich TBH.

I wouldn't surprised if Hunt was a depth upgrade, cause we have zero clue about non-starters lol. I do think however that they may look at Pinter as much C as they do G or G/C. C does require T-like talent to an extent, and is less G-like mobile. We'll see, but I do agree it might be bad news for Patterson.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I absolute loved Hunt's tape. he looks like he could even start if God forbid, something happened to Kelly. Not sure on the DB, I think he's more of a wildcard, while Vollert looks like he has a lot of potential if he hits. 

I think Cox and Burton are locks to make the 53. If Vollert or another TE sticks it’s because the Colts chose four TEs over a FB. Which  I hope they do. The FB position, especially when the player can’t catch or run, is a wasted spot IMO. Hopefully a great blocking fourth TE wins out. 

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

I think Cox and Burton are locks to make the 53. If Vollert or another TE sticks it’s because the Colts chose four TEs over a FB. Which  I hope they do. The FB position, especially when the player can’t catch or run, is a wasted spot IMO. Hopefully a great blocking fourth TE wins out. 

I'd prefer to save the roster spot by cutting Nix. If he is in there it telegraphs our intentions. 

Use Burton there instead - he runs like a RB already, is a capable blocker and obviously a pretty good pass catcher!

21 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I'd prefer to save the roster spot by cutting Nix. If he is in there it telegraphs our intentions. 

Use Burton there instead - he runs like a RB already, is a capable blocker and obviously a pretty good pass catcher!

I think Nix was also signed for his work on special teams.  

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

Having an all pro line and an all pro FB telegraph what they do does not mean a defense can stop it.

It also does wonders for the play action if the defense bites on it. 

There is room for both.

13 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Sorry. That's not the way it works. The more you play this game, the more assuredly you lose. Ask some guy named Grigson.

10 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I have seen this rationale mentioned before but it doesn't work for me.  They could have just stayed with the old plan and use a blocking TE in his role.  But they decided to go out and sign Nix to improve the run game even more.  Even if they see it coming they still have to stop it.  I think the intent is to have a FB on the roster.  Unless he gets hurt or just isn't effective in practice I think he makes the roster.  

Archived