Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Free agent QBs and 2021 QB prospects

After Ballard drafted Eason in the 4th round it's safe to say that this kid is a project that is about 1-2 years max of developing. We have to be realistic here. I'm hoping he could develop by 2021 but its a pipe dream. I'm pulling for the kid to succeed I really am. The free agent QB class in 2021 is weak and there are interesting prospects heading into the 2021 draft. 

Free Agents QBs:

The big names: 

Patrick Mahomes - This is a no brainer, he's getting a contract extension to make him the highest paid QB before the 2021 league year starts. Cross him off the list. X

Deshaun Watson - I thought about this today. I'm not saying this is going to happen but lets say the Texans go out and have a terrible season its possible. Bill O'Brien has created a toxic environment there and the players might quit on him. Do they tear it down and do a full rebuild, tag Watson and he requests a trade so they can get something for him, or do they Tag Watson and let the new Head Coach work with him whoever it is they bring in there. This one is up in the air 

Dak Prescott - Before the draft, there was about a 25% chance Prescott would leave Dallas. But now, there is a 0% percent chance he leaves. On paper, they have a top 5 offense with the addition of Lamb. But the game isn't played on paper. He's not going anywhere. 

All the others: 

Phillip Rivers: Rivers has to have a bounce back season in 2020. Ballard has supplied him with a great running game, great offensive line, receivers, defense will be a lot better. If Eason isn't ready by 2021, you have to consider bringing him back on a 1 year deal. 

Jacoby Brissett - Jacoby is gone once free agency starts in 2021. He wants to start, so let him go to a team that is willing to let him. 

Mitchell Trubisky - You know who will be glad when Tribusky hit free agency? The Bears GM for drafting him!!. He will be 27 in August 2021. 

Prospects:

Trevor Lawrence (Clemson)  - He will be the first Quarterback off the board in 2021. Ballard said we would never draft in the top 10 again and this team isn't tanking. Cross him off the list. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8-RrtF1xtw

Justin Fields (Ohio State)- An exciting dual threat prospect who in my opinion should be the first QB off the board. He's a top 5 pick in my opinion. He won't be a Colt 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4SzpCnYf3Y

Jamie Newman (Wake Forest, transferring to Georgia) - Another dual threat QB with high upside and had a solid season at Wake Forest. He's transferring to a 5 star program at Georgia and could contend for a Heisman. He's a top 10 1st round pick! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtaJUM4o4oo

Kellen Mond (Texas A&M)  - Right now, I don't think he's a 1st round pick. His accuracy is way off, and being a SEC guy, there was some game where he looked solid and others when he was all over the place in 2019. He could have a season where he boosts his draft stock. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPNB0ax1aug

KJ Costello - (Stanford tranferring to Mississippi State) - Throwing motion needs work he's a project! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlFTSpyLOE0

As long as the QB market in FA stays saturated QB in the draft are not going to go as high as usual. Unless your a Lawrence or A Fields. Teams this year went out and got bridge QB and filled their teams with other needs first. Teams this year were not willing to take on projects.  Eason would of went a lot higher if the FA market hadn’t had so many. We will see what happens next year in the FA market and see who is available. They have supposedly stated contract talks with Watson.

Trey Lance just finished his redshirt fr season at ND St so he will be draft eligible in 2021. 

He had a terrific season and is gifted passer and dynamic runner. With continued development he might go top 10 overall next year. 

Brock Purdy from Iowa st is another player to monitor. 

2 hours ago, bertjones7 said:

Trey Lance just finished his redshirt fr season at ND St so he will be draft eligible in 2021. 

He had a terrific season and is gifted passer and dynamic runner. With continued development he might go top 10 overall next year. 

Brock Purdy from Iowa st is another player to monitor. 

Man, I forgot all about Lance!  I've seen people mention him before on this forum. He led the Bison to a FCS title last year and I like what I saw in that game. 

Better keep on eye on RS-SO Mike Penix Jr from IU.  His durability has been a red flag but he has been putting on good weight and is now up to 220. You're probably not going to see his name on many Big Boards right now, but I'd be willing to bet that his stock is going to rise as the 2020 season rolls on.

Eason will be ready 2021, unless they opt to sign Rivers for another year, maybe as a back up but that maybe too expensive...They still might let go of Brissett before the season starts, as they did with Andy Dalton, and will start the rookie instead....That's something to digest in the next two months where Brissett will actually be playing.

14 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Newman is the one guy who might be available to us. Could fall right around where Love did, which is where we should be picking. I’ll be monitoring him as well as seeing what Eason does in the pre-season games.

I haven't had a chance to watch this guy yet but I saw one mock draft that had him going to the Colts.  I will be sure and tune in and see what he's got.

18 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I haven't had a chance to watch this guy yet but I saw one mock draft that had him going to the Colts.  I will be sure and tune in and see what he's got.

Good skill set. Athletic, smart with ball, and can make plays off script.

So if our Colts pulled off a trade of a lifetime with Buckner this year what would stop us from making one next off-season with the Texans for Watson?

The Texans have 8 draft picks heading into 2021 minus any compensation picks as follows: 

ROUND

4 (FROM ARIZONA)

6 (FROM MIAMI)

6 (FROM NEW ORLEANS)

According to Spotrac we are projected to have one of the top 5 cap spaces available.  I don't care if they are our division rivals I would still offer our 20201 first rounder and maybe our second for Deshaun Watson.  Both Rivers and Brissett will likely be gone so why not kick the tires and come up some feasible trade options. 

1 hour ago, OhioColt said:

So if our Colts pulled off a trade of a lifetime with Buckner this year what would stop us from making one next off-season with the Texans for Watson?

The Texans have 8 draft picks heading into 2021 minus any compensation picks as follows: 

ROUND

4 (FROM ARIZONA)

6 (FROM MIAMI)

6 (FROM NEW ORLEANS)

According to Spotrac we are projected to have one of the top 5 cap spaces available.  I don't care if they are our division rivals I would still offer our 20201 first rounder and maybe our second for Deshaun Watson.  Both Rivers and Brissett will likely be gone so why not kick the tires and come up some feasible trade options. 

If the Texans wanted to trade Watson then they would be able to find a team not in their division to trade him to. 

Also, they'd probably be able to find some who would give more. We're a value based team when it comes to signings, drafting and trades. We aren't Miami or Oakland who throw picks at teams for players with big names. 

On 5/5/2020 at 8:39 AM, CheezyColt said:

BOB is a terrible GM but even he wouldn't trade Watson in-division. I'm also curious to see how well Watson does without a top 3 receiver to bail him out.

Their receiving group is better than it’s made out to be. I don’t think they will win division but will be better than people are saying. 

1 hour ago, ThinBlueLineColts said:

Their receiving group is better than it’s made out to be. I don’t think they will win division but will be better than people are saying. 

I agree.  They have some talent in their WR room.  But nobody is replacing Nuk.  Trading him with 3 years left on his deal is just crazy and I really don't think they come out ahead there.  Watson will surely miss him.

On 5/8/2020 at 10:59 AM, CheezyColt said:

I agree.  They have some talent in their WR room.  But nobody is replacing Nuk.  Trading him with 3 years left on his deal is just crazy and I really don't think they come out ahead there.  Watson will surely miss him.

Where'd he get the nickname nuk? Always mean to ask about it, and always forget lol

4 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Where'd he get the nickname nuk? Always mean to ask about it, and always forget lol

Same, I've just never bothered to look it up. Now is as good a time as any, I suppose, haha.  According to google:

"Everyone remembers the boy called Nuk (pronounced "Nuke") -- the nickname stemming from Hopkins' penchant for chewing through Nuk brand pacifiers as a baby -- as an introspective, soft-spoken child."

I like Brock Purdy a lot. I've just recently started watching him and could immediately tell that he's a very good quarterback with an average-at-best surrounding cast and bad line. He's not a physical beast, but is deadly accurate with his placement and mobile enough to hurt you with his legs.

On 5/5/2020 at 6:54 AM, UKColt13 said:

If the Texans wanted to trade Watson then they would be able to find a team not in their division to trade him to. 

Also, they'd probably be able to find some who would give more. We're a value based team when it comes to signings, drafting and trades. We aren't Miami or Oakland who throw picks at teams for players with big names. 

Most likely yes. . . but Bill O'Brian likes to make crazy trades.  

On 5/14/2020 at 2:34 PM, 07dleigh said:

I like Brock Purdy a lot. I've just recently started watching him and could immediately tell that he's a very good quarterback with an average-at-best surrounding cast and bad line. He's not a physical beast, but is deadly accurate with his placement and mobile enough to hurt you with his legs.

No no no.

My Indianapolis Colts can not be quarterbacked by a QB from my college team's rival.  

On 5/14/2020 at 11:34 AM, 07dleigh said:

I see a lot of Russ in Purdy's game. 

Archived