Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2020 season?

Myles

How will the NFL 2020 season be affected by Covid-19  

28 members have voted

1. 1. How will the NFL 2020 season be affected by Covid-19

• The season will start and finish on time. Only stuff before the season starts will be affected (training camp, preseason)
    • The season will be cancelled
    • The season will be shortened but not cancelled

I think it will start on time and be a full season, but I also think there will be restrictions on live attendance.

The seat relocation process has been put on hold for a 2nd time already. Just a guess, but I think they are looking at scenarios where they limit attendance, to perhaps 10-20% capacity, or something along those lines. Again, I haven't heard anything, but who the heck is going to want to be crammed in with 70,000 other people in September, if it's even allowed?

9 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

Like anyone could possibly know what it’s gonna be like in 2 weeks, let alone 5 months from now.

That's why it is just a poll.   If we "knew" a poll wouldn't be necessary.  

I voted the season will be shortened but not cancelled. That is an off the wall prediction because none of us know. I could live with a 12 game season. We have great doctors, people in science, and great technology to not get this figured out soon. I think Pro Basketball and Pro Baseball are screwed. This may go on until September or October.

How and who will make the "All Clear" call for this virus? I doubt we will see any such call. It may be OK to go outside or go shopping but to sit shoulder-to-shoulder with thousands of strangers?. No thanks. Much will depend on how baseball goes.

3 minutes ago, King Colt said:

How and who will make the "All Clear" call for this virus? I doubt we will see any such call. It may be OK to go outside or go shopping but to sit shoulder-to-shoulder with thousands of strangers?. No thanks. Much will depend on how baseball goes.

I have already accepted Baseball won't happen. Not the way this is going.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

If that is the case there is a good chance they could try to play the games without crowds.  Which would be freaking weird but most of their money comes from TV rights anyway so I doubt they would be afraid to do that.

In Australia, the most watched sport on TV is the National Rugby League. They are seriously considering moving their (currently suspended) competition to an island or the desert where the players would stay in a resort for a 3-4 month abbreviated competition.

The NFL actually have time to prepare for something like this. I am sure there is somewhere in the west that has been relatively untouched by covid-19 and they could take it over - build their own makeshift field and play the entire season in front of no fans. 

Here’s the problem the league faces...

In the summer the virus is supposed to go way down..   maybe almost disappear...   so the good news is the season could,  in theory,  start on time and play for two months, September and October..

But here’s the problem...   cold weather starts coming in November and colder in December...   a second wave of the virus is expected back...  how bad is not clear yet...    and of course, the weather is even colder for the playoffs.   

I can see everyone balking.   You’ve got more than 100 guys in the normal day to day locker room.  65 players...   coaches, trainers, ball boys, locker room support staff, execs, the owner,  etc.   This screams trouble.   Who potentially wants to put their life in danger? 

April is predicted to be the worst.  May should get better, but it may still be bad.  June should get much better.... and continue to get better throughout the summer...   but once we clear July, August and September, we have to hope progress has been made on test kits.  This is key.   And maybe a vaccine?  But that’s likely way too soon.  Probably 2021 for that, but we can hope.   

Honestly,  I think the season is 50-50 right now — at best.   A shortened season is possible, but it’s still very iffy.   Lots of moving parts this far away...   hopefully things will change for the better...  

I don’t expect the NFL to say much until after the draft.   By the way, the official schedule is being announced AFTER the draft.  Normally it’s about 7-10 days BEFORE the draft.   The league is buying time...   hopefully we’ll have some answers in May... 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Here’s the problem the league faces...

In the summer the virus is supposed to go way down..   maybe almost disappear...   so the good news is the season could,  in theory,  start on time and play for two months, September and October..

But here’s the problem...   cold weather starts coming in November and colder in December...   a second wave of the virus is expected back...  how bad is not clear yet...    and of course, the weather is even colder for the playoffs.   

April is predicted to be the worst.  May should get better, but it may still be bad.  June should get much better.... and continue to get better throughout the summer...   but once we clear July, August and September, we have to hope progress has been made on test kits.  This is key.   And maybe a vaccine?  But that’s likely way too soon.  Probably 2021 for that, but we can hope.   

Here in India, it's close to Summer already that will peak in May, and it's much more warmer than the summer in US, but that hasn't stopped the spread from those who traveled home from abroad. It probably is true that the virus doesn't spread as much as in colder days, and it may come down a bit, but it has to be seen if the US summer could help. 

The best way to get out of this is developing and Mass producing a vaccine so everyone can get a shot and go back to normal life.

In 2009 during Swine flu outbreak, WHO didn't announce that as pandemic early as it was slower transmitted disease, and declared it pandemic only by June. 27 million vaccine was produced for mass distribution by October 22, and was available to public by November. So, it took 5 months then to get vaccine to people.

But, at that time, it didn't impact regular life. I traveled in and out of the US at the peak of that outbreak and there were not much restrictions. 

Situation right now is very critical. Most countries are under lockdown, daily wages workers don't have earning, companies that can't work from home are impacted heavily, and there's no travel possible for long distances. It all puts more pressure on the whole world and scientific community and authorities to make the regulations easier for the vaccine to be approved (after thorough clinical trials, of course) and mass produced and distributed, especially in the US, one would think. 

So, if it had taken 5 months for swine flu vaccine to be available in 2009, it might be sooner in 2020 during much more critical situation all over the world. It's only uncertain right now because vaccine identification is under works, but if they find a good cure without any side effects, the whole world and all the countries would do whatever they could to allocate their workforce to develop the vaccine and distribute to the medical centers to administer to people. Or for all players of NFL, for example.

If it goes by similar timeline, the best case scenario could be to get vaccine available for much of the population in 5 or 6 months, and that could be enough for NFL to start, probably without audience to begin the season.

If everyone gets vaccinated by end of the year, winter and colder weather might not be a problem at all in that scenario.

Archived