Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Prepare for NO NFL Football this year.

ThorstenDenmark

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

My parents had to go to the title company to sign papers because they refinanced the house. They are having everyone stay in their cars. They come out to you. Even have throw away pens after one use. They take pictures of your drivers license with their cell phones. That tells you how serious everyone is taking this.

I am glad I refinanced on January 6th then. Did a cash out refinance to get some additional cash in the bank for home improvements, which I am standing pat now on to see how things unfold with the economy. 

7 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Hazel Fenton of Sussex back in 2009 was deemed only to have a few days to live, NHS....

This wasn't what we were talking about.. you've diverted into a number of different topics. But quickly:

The Liverpool Care Pathway, rightly, hasn't been clinical guidance for a number of years. The Alfie Evans case is again a different aspect and the way you outline it suggests the clinicians willingly denied care for no good reason

It's undeniable that the NHS is a under pressure organisation, but this isn't unique to to it. Take the often cited example of 4 hour waits. For one the 4 hour thing itself doesn't really have much clinical evidence, it's more a of performance metric. When you compare the average waits in emergency departments across the world we still see a greater ratio of patients quicker. The issue is that people utilise ED as a first stop rather than last resort. To get into the underlying reasons why would take forever, but this is why a lot of NHS transformation is about increasing access in primary/community settings.

You anecdotal example isn't all too uncommon depending on the break. But that's again not exactly unique to the NHS. Without knowing the full medical details it's impossible to say if it was poor practice. As a converse anecdote, I managed to break my ankle and not realise for 4 days... 

Point being, if someone dies when it was avoidable it would normally be a Serious Incident with a full investigation of why. These are thankfully rare. However , I think we will see a huge spike of deaths that would have been "avoidable" as the system pressure builds. Currently it looks like end April/May for the peak of demand. 

7 hours ago, Narcosys said:

my last post covered the medical aspect, but from a government societal measure; we all know these precautions being put in place about staying at home and avoiding everyone is not to try and stop the virus, it is to try and stop the healthcare systems from being overrun. This applies to the world and not just the UK however.  80% of the population is likely going to get it in some form or another and at some point or another. By teleworking, alternating shifts, and staying at home, you slow down the demand for medical services. So instead of one massive overwhelming wave that crashes the system and providers, it is a more manageable steady rise and plateau. 

Well yeah, that was the point. I was replying to someone who insisted the measures being taken now are overkill because this will "all be done in a month". That is patently false. 

As you say 80% (I'd say more like 75%) will probably be infected. But the only way to cope with the serious cases effectively is to spread this out to try and buffer services as you say. Flatten the curve is sexy phrase. 

The previous poster was complaining there are stringent measure when "only 2 states have an issue". Point is, you take the measures before, not after you have high infection numbers. Pointing at somewhere right now and saying it's only "x" number of infections isn't sound thinking. 

19 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Well yeah, that was the point. I was replying to someone who insisted the measures being taken now are overkill because this will "all be done in a month". That is patently false. 

As you say 80% (I'd say more like 75%) will probably be infected. But the only way to cope with the serious cases effectively is to spread this out to try and buffer services as you say. Flatten the curve is sexy phrase. 

The previous poster was complaining there are stringent measure when "only 2 states have an issue". Point is, you take the measures before, not after you have high infection numbers. Pointing at somewhere right now and saying it's only "x" number of infections isn't sound thinking. 

I would also add - "only 2 states have an issue... NOW". If there is community spread and nothing is done, EVERY SINGLE state will have this problem. It will just come a bit later. Just like it was in China... then it came to Italy, then to Spain, then to series of other countries in Europe and now states in the US. If you allow this disease to spread uninterrupted it WILL come to your state and country and it will explode your healthcare system. 

People have real hard time imagining exponential growth. Let me put it like this - pretty much in every country in the world and every state in the US, when there is no measures taken the disease seem to follow a 35% growth per day. Or for simplicity sake lets say the number doubles every 3 days. 

Now lets say right now your state/country has ONLY 100 people confirmed but you know it's spreading in the community. And you take no measures. What does that mean, when we look at every single example we have so far? 

Day 0 - 100 confirmed.

Day 3 - 200

Day 6 - 400

Day 9 - 800

Day 12 - 1600

Day 15 - 3200

Day 18 - 6400

Day 21 - 12800

Day 24 - 25600

Day 27 - 51200

Day 30 - 102400

This is in one month!

Day 45 - ~3 million

Day 60 - 105 million

This is 2 months! If you take no measures you will have 100+ million cases on month 2 of the epidemic. 

And on the 2nd month and 3 days you will have 200M+ infected! 

This is all very simplified and not exact, because there are some finer points where the spread will slow down the more people infected there are simply because there will be less possible targets for the infection(because a lot will already be infected), but this still illustrates how quickly this one can spread if no measures are taken. 

So it seems within a week  or two the prez is  going to reccomend every thing get opened back up with everyone still using all the social distancing rules and putting plans in place to protect the most vulnerable.  Will be targeting highly infected areas.  I think we will get things back to normal sooner then later if we all practice these rules while at work and out and about. I imagine sporting events and that kind of thing will not come back that soon. They are getting these easier tests where people can self test and send it in which will also help keep people at home who are infected.  

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

They took fish tank cleaner. They did not take the prescription drug. Watch out for media spreading fake stories.

Because the label had the exact same ingredient listed on it. People hear about something, find it difficult/impossible to get, and a few unfortunately take matters into their own hands. Media gets this out to hopefully prevent others doing it as well.

Have you ever taken a generic OTC drug, and compared the ingredients to the 'Brand Name' version to be sure they're the same?  IE: Alleve vs. Equate Naproxen Sodium?  The active ingredient on the label has same chemical. The couple, unfortunately, thought it was the same drug here, and it was not.

This person saw the same ingredient, Chloroquine, in the aquarium cleaner and thought it would work. Even though it's pretty much the same active ingredient as the drug, it is in a different form and can/did poison people.

My question is, is there a warning label on the fish tank solvent/cleaner?  If so, how did they miss it? 

The message is, do not self medicate, or use inappropriate medications and household products to prevent or treat COVID-19.

Yeah, I think both sides of the virus v economy debate should be flexible in their thinking as we get more information to find a middle way.

With more data those tasked with making the call won't have to rely on models, data from other countries and generalized predictions.

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Yeah, I think both sides of the virus v economy debate should be flexible in their thinking as we get more information to find a middle way.

With more data those tasked with making the call won't have to rely on models, data from other countries and generalized predictions.

This. We can find the balance.

Apparently in Italy they aren’t testing the elderly until after they die. The ones that have died have had very bad health issues and over 80. So if someone had a  heart attack  and dies  and tests positive after they die it goes down as a virus death. That seams to be why the fatality rate is so high. Germany rate is .3. I thought I heard this morning there is not one case in Italy of anyway under 30.

So according to VP Pence the drug has now been approved by the fda for off label use. So doctors across the country can start prescribing it. While the trials in NY are starting. We need to get tests coming back sooner so people can be prescribed it.

Maybe for compassionate use (severely ill, last line efforts) for the most critical care hospitalized patients.  I hope for that, actually.   But others?   Hmmmmm....

Show me a link where the FDA or even WHO has approved it for prescription off label use for COVID-19?

39 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

So it seems within a week  or two the prez is  going to reccomend every thing get opened back up with everyone still using all the social distancing rules and putting plans in place to protect the most vulnerable.  Will be targeting highly infected areas.  I think we will get things back to normal sooner then later if we all practice these rules while at work and out and about. I imagine sporting events and that kind of thing will not come back that soon. They are getting these easier tests where people can self test and send it in which will also help keep people at home who are infected.  

It won't be in a week or two.  Indiana schools are out until May 1st

2 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Maybe for compassionate use (severely ill, last line efforts) for the most critical care hospitalized patients.  I hope for that, actually.   But others?   Hmmmmm....

Show me a link where the FDA or even WHO has approved it for prescription off label use for COVID-19?

Last I heard, the supply of this drug in this country was used up

People who currently take it for arthritis and lupus can no longer buy it

17 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I heard someone suggest this am a hard reset

Everyone (except the essential services) shelters in place for 3 weeks  (about how long the virus can live on surfaces)

During that time we ramp up testing

So, when the three weeks are up, we can do what we should have done to begin with

A do over

Makes sense to me.  It lets people go back to work with the knowledge that the virus is being tracked and they will know if it's in their community

win win

49 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

God save us from this *. 

41 minutes ago, Nadine said:

Last I heard, the supply of this drug in this country was used up

People who currently take it for arthritis and lupus can no longer buy it

Exactly, they and the critically ill w/COVID-19 should get first chances on the Rx.  Not the general public.  Last I looked, 85% of folks could recover without needing hospitalization and off label treatments.  5% of those 15 in  the hospital could be candidates if an elevation  to seriously critical condition arises.

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

My mom just realized she has a entire bottle of this drug. She had a bad arthritic pinky and the doctor prescribed it to her. It didn’t do any good but she kept it.

OK, what dose is needed to treat an arthritic pinky? How about someone with SARS-CoV-2?

People should not try to self medicate, especially prophylactically, for this.

EDIT: at least until trial results give the medical teams direction.

2 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Exactly, they and the critically ill w/COVID-19 should get first chances on the Rx.  Not the general public.  Last I looked, 85% of folks could recover without needing hospitalization and off label treatments.  5% of those 15 in  the hospital could be candidates if an elevation  to seriously critical condition arises.

I think that is what they are doing right now. If you don’t need it you shouldn’t get it.  Companies are ramping up supplies so I am sure we will get the supply where it needs to be. Israel is donating like 6 million tablets from a company over there. 

Just now, ColtsBlueFL said:

OK, what dose is needed to treat an arthritic pinky? How about someone with SARS-CoV-2?

People should not try to self medicate, especially prophylactically, for this.

She has had it over a year. It’s just been in the cabinet. We were just laughing how we had the goods if we got sick. And no don’t worry we would never take it without calling the doctor first. 

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

She has had it over a year. It’s just been in the cabinet. We were just laughing how we had the goods if we got sick. And no don’t worry we would never take it without calling the doctor first. 

Even if I had 'the goods' I would not ever take it without the results from the ongoing trials and direction of a physician. I would completely isolate, treat symptoms with OTC remedies and water, and hope I was in the 85% that recover in 2 weeks or so and do not need 911.

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Even if I had 'the goods' I would not ever take it without the results from the ongoing trials and direction of a physician. I would completely isolate, treat symptoms with OTC remedies and water, and hope I was in the 85% that recover in 2 weeks or so and do not need 911.

It’s already been prescribed to her by the doctor. She already knows the side effects. Like I said we aren’t stupid and would never take it unless we consulted with a doctor. 

48 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s already been prescribed to her by the doctor. She already knows the side effects. Like I said we aren’t stupid and would never take it unless we consulted with a doctor. 

Yeah, and the shelf life likely isn't forever, also.

This. We can find the balance.

Apparently in Italy they aren’t testing the elderly until after they die. The ones that have died have had very bad health issues and over 80. So if someone had a  heart attack  and dies  and tests positive after they die it goes down as a virus death. That seams to be why the fatality rate is so high. Germany rate is .3. I thought I heard this morning there is not one case in Italy of anyway under 30.

Do you not get why this gets listed as a death due to Covid? Genuine question. 

You're spouting a lot of things that just aren't substantiated or informed. It's irresponsible. 

Suggesting things will be opened up again a few weeks... like do you not get how much this is the calm before the storm. At the moment it's trying to buffer the inevitable infection. Then the mortality rate will kick up. You can't really pull back on measures right now, as damaging to society and the economy as that is. 

Currently you're tracking 10-11 weeks behind Italy in growth. Probably looking at a lower mortality rate due to less disparate age demographic, but also America has a scary rate of co-morbidity. 

You're also putting a lot of faith into a drug that hasn't been robustly tested in this use case. If it was the silver bullet do you not think WHO would be screaming at the entire Western Pharma infrastructure to flip production? Currently they're looking at 4 drugs in various combinations, again small trials and not to the usual standards. 

Remember too a treatment is not a cure, may well take the mortality rate down but I doubt it will be too effective in those already at high risk. 

I professionally can't share, yet, the content of conversations here, but I urge you not to take this thing lightly, and to stop throwing around uniformed "it will all be fine". This is very a much a case of rather overreact then risk the undereaction. 

To quote a historical analogy... it doesn't help when your CIC pretty much tells everyone the "war will be over by Christmas". Uhuh. 

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Given my profession, and even with social distancing, there are circumstances where I still have to come into contact with people who by degrees of separation will have been in acute environments. 

I'm fairly sure I will be exposed at some point. All you can do is hope you either don't become symptomatic (dangerous to others), and ride it out like a bad case of the flu. It's a weirdly fatalistic feeling.

More worried about the parents, I live far away, both at in at risk cohorts and obviously now we're in a soft lock down can't go to them if anything happens. Remote management is stressful!

How many times have I said I don’t take it lightly. All three in my house are considered higher risk. No one is coming into our house right now. Not even the grand kids.

Yes I think things are a little overhyped by the media. I am not personally taking it lightly.

The point about Italy is that some of those people might not of even been known to have Covid and may not of even had symptoms. They die of say a heart attack and then they are tested that seems wrong. Germany is testing so we know the deaths when they die are from covid.

Your not going to change anyone’s mind in what they believe. You believe what you want to believe and that is fine. We all do our own research and come to our own conclusions.

Telling people to not to  be hopeful is just wrong. 

6 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

You're also putting a lot of faith into a drug that hasn't been robustly tested in this use case. If it was the silver bullet do you not think WHO would be screaming at the entire Western Pharma infrastructure to flip production? Currently they're looking at 4 drugs in various combinations, again small trials and not to the usual standards. 

6 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Remember too a treatment is not a cure, may well take the mortality rate down but I doubt it will be too effective in those already at high risk. 

These things go through trials for reasons.  I will bet nobody slamming their fist down for Chloroquine, or especially the Chloroquine/Z-Pak cocktail know about serious potential cardiac effects.  The fact I'm on a betablocker (Sotalol for SVT/AFib) with a top borderline cardiac QT prevents that cocktail from being administered to me except in life or death situation.  And might prevent death in one area and possibly cause it in another.

"According to the Food and Drug Administration, chloroquine has also been known to cause “life-threatening” hypoglycemia, “irreversible” damage to the retina and neurologic disorders. And, in the hands of children, even small doses may be lethal.

Anecdotal evidence has suggested a combination of hydrochloroquine and the antibiotic azithromycin (also known as Z-Pak) may have “potential for benefit in patients who are hospitalized with coronavirus, DiNicolantonio and other physicians warn that the drug cocktail could be lethal for patients with underlying heart conditions.

“When you combine both those medications, you get an increase in QT prolongation (heartbeat repolarization time), and a potential increased risk of arrhythmias,” DiNicolantonio tells The Post. “Thus, at a minimum, a baseline EKG [electrocardiogram] should be performed prior to prescribing the combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin.”

Drug-induced QT prolongation and Torsades de Pointes - the facts-

https://www.medsafe.govt.nz/profs/PUArticles/DrugInducedQTProlongation.htm

Note the Drugs in table 2 and Table 3. 

(Chloroquine, Azithromycin)

The supposed COVID-19 cocktail.

My mom has maculate degeneration in her eyes. She consulted her eye doctor before she started it. They told her ir was fine short term.

There are going to be people that can’t take it. Just like every other drug. I take s biologic. Have you ever seen the side effects listed for those. Luckily I have had none. The one I am on now has been the only one that has worked for me. Every drug has a possibility of side effects.

This country was built on hope. We always come through things like this. What’s the point of being scared and panic all the time That’s a sad way to live your life. Protect yourself and have hope and be happy. 

40 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Given my profession, and even with social distancing, there are circumstances where I still have to come into contact with people who by degrees of separation will have been in acute environments. 

I'm fairly sure I will be exposed at some point. All you can do is hope you either don't become symptomatic (dangerous to others), and ride it out like a bad case of the flu. It's a weirdly fatalistic feeling.

More worried about the parents, I live far away, both at in at risk cohorts and obviously now we're in a soft lock down can't go to them if anything happens. Remote management is stressful!

my mom is alone in a third floor condo and was all alone on her birthday.  We group face timed her and that's as good as it gets

I staggered gifts to arrive via amazon over the course of the week and cautioned her to leave them sit for a day and then wash her hands immediately.

My sister had been making spaghetti sauce for mom when she came down with the virus.  Today she supervised her husband in finishing the sauce so they could get it to mom.

Not sure how they are going to get it to her. I guess wash their hands and then put it in a container, leave it outside and ring mom to come down and get it.

Having a parent all alone is stressful right now.

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

How many times have I said I don’t take it lightly. All three in my house are considered higher risk. No one is coming into our house right now. Not even the grand kids.

Yes I think things are a little overhyped by the media. I am not personally taking it lightly.

The point about Italy is that some of those people might not of even been known to have Covid and may not of even had symptoms. They die of say a heart attack and then they are tested that seems wrong. Germany is testing so we know the deaths when they die are from covid.

Your not going to change anyone’s mind in what they believe. You believe what you want to believe and that is fine. We all do our own research and come to our own conclusions.

Telling people to not to  be hopeful is just wrong. 

Feel free to share your “research” that shows this will all be good in a month. Seriously, I think a lot of people would be bloody interested in it right now. 

Hope is fine, but offering false hope isn’t. 

5 minutes ago, Nadine said:

my mom is alone in a third floor condo and was all alone on her birthday.  We group face timed her and that's as good as it gets

I staggered gifts to arrive via amazon over the course of the week and cautioned her to leave them sit for a day and then wash her hands immediately.

My sister had been making spaghetti sauce for mom when she came down with the virus.  Today to supervised her husband in finishing the sauce so they could get it to mom.

Not sure how they are going to get it to her. I guess wash their hands and then put it in a container, leave it outside and ring mom to come down and get it.

Having a parent all alone is stressful right now.

I currently have both ends of the extreme. One hand washing so badly to cause acute dermatitis, the other already saying he refuses admission and just wants to die at home and if he’s not letting anyone take his “freedom”. 

Weird things get you, I normally do the local 10K as it sits the weekend between my birthday and my Mum’s. Even though it’s June I doubt that I will be able to go see them. Maybe things change if we have a good April. Just strange realising things that are very much taken for granted are missed hugely when you can’t do them suddenly. 

I’m lucky in at least they have a each other. Can’t imagine the stress of a parent alone.

17 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This country was built on hope. We always come through things like this. What’s the point of being scared and panic all the time That’s a sad way to live your life. Protect yourself and have hope and be happy. 

Hope is fine as long as it's informed.

People who are not all sunshine and roses right now are smart.  It's not panic, it's caution.  As pence said 'don't be scared, be vigilant'

VIGILANT is NOT at all the same thing as panic

adj.

On the alert, as for danger or error; watchful. synonym: careful.

Watchful, as one who watches during the hours for sleep; ever awake and on the alert; attentive to discover and avoid danger, or to provide for safety; circumspect; cautious; wary.

Indicating vigilance.

No one is talking about living their life this way.  The expectation is that we deal with this as well as we can.

People who are not vigilant can be the weakest link and we all need to be strong links

17 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

There are going to be people that can’t take it. Just like every other drug. I take s biologic. Have you ever seen the side effects listed for those. Luckily I have had none. The one I am on now has been the only one that has worked for me. Every drug has a possibility of side effects.

Chloe, there's a process, and very good reasons for the process to test the efficacy and safety of treatment medications. I'm hopeful it works that many can benefit once large scale trial results are tabulated.  It takes time. 

This country was built on hope. We always come through things like this.

We will again. In time. But I'm not believing within in a couple weeks.  I just hope the infection rate gets spread out so the peak rate doesn't ever outstrip healthcare facilities ability to administer care over time.

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

I currently have both ends of the extreme. One hand washing so badly to cause acute dermatitis, the other already saying he refuses admission and just wants to die at home and if he’s not letting anyone take his “freedom”. 

Weird things get you, I normally do the local 10K as it sits the weekend between my birthday and my Mum’s. Even though it’s June I doubt that I will be able to go see them. Maybe things change if we have a good April. Just strange realising things that are very much taken for granted are missed hugely when you can’t do them suddenly. 

I'm so sorry.

Hopefully both evolve to something more sustainable.

I know what you mean about taking things for granted.

My mom lives far from me and I had planned on visiting in march when all this broke.  Also planned on visiting my husbands 'cousin' she's 92 and living alone. 

Now I wish I had gone in February

My mom keeps 'popping out' to the store.  I don't even want to think about what will happen if she gets sick.  Maybe it's a good thing my sister has this virus.  I wish they had a test so we could know for sure that she's had it.  Then she could spend time with mom

@ColtsBlueFL

It really is a no win choice right now. Prolong the economic disruption to try and and save the health services.

2 minutes ago, Nadine said:

I'm so sorry.

Hopefully both evolve to something more sustainable.

I know what you mean about taking things for granted.

My mom lives far from me and I had planned on visiting in march when all this broke.  Also planned on visiting my husbands 'cousin' she's 92 and living alone. 

Now I wish I had gone in February

My mom keeps 'popping out' to the store.  I don't even want to think about what will happen if she gets sick.  Maybe it's a good thing my sister has this virus.  I wish they had a test so we could know for sure that she's had it.  Then she could spend time with mom

I’m so sorry to hear this.

22 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Hope vs scared is different than smart vs reckless.  You need to separate the two.

People can be smart and have hope that this will be over sooner rather than later.  But saying "this will be over in a month" isn't smart, it's reckless.  And on the flip side, saying "this might take 12-18 months" isn't being scared, it's being smart.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.  :thmup:

27 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Feel free to share your “research” that shows this will all be good in a month. Seriously, I think a lot of people would be bloody interested in it right now. 

Hope is fine, but offering false hope isn’t. 

Apparently Trump said today that he plans to "have the country opened back up by April 12" which seems completely arbitrary. Some people are assuming this means that everything will be good by this point, but there's literally zero evidence to suggest that.

15 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

@ColtsBlueFL

It really is a no win choice right now. Prolong the economic disruption to try and and save the health services.

It can't be an easy decision-making process by leaders trying to balance the two, but I don't see the value in "going back to normal" too soon, getting a short-term boost to the market, then shutting it all down again when the virus has continued to spread, literally starting this whole process over again and most likely with overwhelmed health care services.

As Bill Gates said:

“There really is no middle ground, and it’s very tough to say to people, ‘Hey, keep going to restaurants, go buy new houses, ignore that pile of bodies over in the corner. We want you to keep spending because there’s maybe a politician who thinks GDP growth is all that counts.’ It’s very irresponsible for somebody to suggest that we can have the best of both worlds.”

Archived