Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts working on Extending Mack

PeterBowman

I guess my question would be...why extend him a year early? He plays a position that is notorious for injuries...and he is no stranger to injuries himself. Recent history hasn't been kind to teams paying RBs either...so that should give the Colts even more pause to do it early.

I am not against keeping Mack...but I don't really see how extending him now benefits the Colts in a tangible way...unless it's structured in a very team-friendly way.

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I guess my question would be...why extend him a year early? He plays a position that is notorious for injuries...and he is no stranger to injuries himself. Recent history hasn't been kind to teams paying RBs either...so that should give the Colts even more pause to do it early.

I am not against keeping Mack...but I don't really see how extending him now benefits the Colts in a tangible way...unless it's structured in a very team-friendly way.

I'm going to bet the idea is to get a team friendly deal earlier rather than wait when there is less leverage. Or, float a team friendly deal now, and if it doesn't work, you can entertain drafting a RB in 2021. Regardless, I don't see a big time contract.

In terms of Mack's health, I'd say he was pretty healthy this year all things considered. He only missed 2 games, and that was due to a broken hand which isn't something you look at as a health issue for a RB. He also ended the year top 10 in attempts, and averaged 17ish runs per game.

I'm not for paying big bucks for a big name RB, and think teams/Os can do just fine running a good (not elite) RB behind a good OL, especially if you have a decent passing game that can keep Ds honest. Teams keyed on our run this year because our passing game stunk, and Mack still hit 1000. Had we had a better passing game, Mack's AVG would have been substantially better, 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Hes on a 4th round rookie contract and was near the top of the league in carries.  Wasn't really fair for him to be making a few 100k while putting up 1000 yards and lots of carries

Plus rbs have been holding out.  macks agent would probably push for this if the team didn't first

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Hes on a 4th round rookie contract and was near the top of the league in carries.  Wasn't really fair for him to be making a few 100k while putting up 1000 yards and lots of carries

Plus rbs have been holding out.  macks agent would probably push for this if the team didn't first

Yup, Mack is making less than Wilkins, Wilson, and Hines lol... 

Thems the breaks though when you're drafted mid/late. I definitely don't see him holding out this off season. 

I'd bet they floated a 4-6M/year offer with decent guarantees, which would put him in the 8-15th rank. I'd rather pay him enough to get into the top 10ish, than pay Funch 10M a year... 

3 hours ago, shastamasta said:

You would always do an extension before his contract runs out. So do you mean don't extend him but rather "resign him" after his contract runs out ?

6 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i doubt you will even know who these guys are based on what you said in your other comment

i think Dandre swift will be better than mack right away.  this is comparing a fourth  round pick to the best runner in this class, hes better man

taylor from wc should be good, he runs with more power than MM does

moss from utah is looking pretty good with a few injury concerns.

im not spending more time on  this since you will just dismiss it anyway, have a good day 

It will be interesting to see how many top 1,000 yards next year. I wouldn't waste.a pick when we already have three good running backs.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

It will be interesting to see how many top 1,000 yards next year. I wouldn't waste.a pick when we already have three good running backs.

Yup. There's really no reason to use early draft capital on a position we're already top 10 at (and would have been higher had we had a more competent passing game). 

I have no problem though using a late round pick on a thumper like AJ Dillon though. If he's there in the 6th or 7th (we should have 4 picks in that space) I'd take him in a heartbeat.

18 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Chud had him for one year and Reich has had him for two years. Two different coaching staffs...and both don't use him in the passing game. There is obviously something to it.

Actually under Chud, 18.5% of Mack's TDs were receptions, which is right up there with the numbers seen by Elliot, Barkley, etc.  Basically most 3 down backs not named Alvin Kamara.

21 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Actually under Chud, 18.5% of Mack's TDs were receptions, which is right up there with the numbers seen by Elliot, Barkley, etc.  Basically most 3 down backs not named Alvin Kamara.

I assume you meant touches. Yeah...Chud definitely used him a bit more as a pass catcher...because Mack was the RB2 to Gore being the early down back. Still...it was only 31 total targets. 

But it was a start...and had me really excited for him going forward...especially with Reich coming onboard. But for whatever reason...he just never really used him that way. Hines being drafted that year has had an impact...but I think there must be something they see in practice.

8 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I assume you meant touches. Yeah...Chud definitely used him a bit more as a pass catcher...because Mack was the RB2 to Gore being the early down back. Still...it was only 31 total targets. 

But it was a start...and had me really excited for him going forward...especially with Reich coming onboard. But for whatever reason...he just never really used him that way. Hines being drafted that year has had an impact...but I think there must be something they see in practice.

Yes I meant touches.

I just went by receptions, looking at targets then it was closer to 25%.

The issue with Mack as a pass catcher is, he likes to keep his shoulders square to the endzone and if a pass forces him off of that he is slow to adjust to the pass and he's slow to then get his shoulders square to the endzone again.  But, he seems to have soft, reliable hands and if he is hit in stride, he can make something happen after the catch.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

It will be interesting to see how many top 1,000 yards next year.

will be interesting to see if mack does too?  he was 11th in rushing yards this year, not bad but not unbeatable 

macks ypc was 4.4, that is average these days not great 

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

will be interesting to see if mack does too?  he was 11th in rushing yards this year, not bad but not unbeatable 

macks ypc was 4.4, that is average these days not great 

I think you can attribute this to the opposing defense being able to key on the run due to are lack of a passing game. 

On 2/5/2020 at 4:18 PM, shastamasta said:

It's very simple.  

Negotiate your extension now, Mack has 16 games to play in before he can cash in on a big payday.  Given that in any one of those 16 games he could take an injury that would end his career or heavily reduce the number at which he will sign for.  Tear an ACL and he goes from a 3 or 4 year deal worth a couple million a year to a 1 year prove-it deal at min salary.  That's the difference between being set for life and having to find a career after the NFL is over.

Wait til the end of the season he has no more games to play in.  With no injury risk left and the ability to just wait til FA and he can negotiate with everyone he is going to be trying to get the biggest deal he can get and you are going to have to outbid everyone.

This is why you extend now.  Mack will take less just on the sheer insurance of having received his payday before he starts getting hit again.  On top of that the Colts don't have to outbid other teams who might be trying to sign Mack.  

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

It's very simple.  

Negotiate your extension now, Mack has 16 games to play in before he can cash in on a big payday.  Given that in any one of those 16 games he could take an injury that would end his career or heavily reduce the number at which he will sign for.  Tear an ACL and he goes from a 3 or 4 year deal worth a couple million a year to a 1 year prove-it deal at min salary.  That's the difference between being set for life and having to find a career after the NFL is over.

Wait til the end of the season he has no more games to play in.  With no injury risk left and the ability to just wait til FA and he can negotiate with everyone he is going to be trying to get the biggest deal he can get and you are going to have to outbid everyone.

This is why you extend now.  Mack will take less just on the sheer insurance of having received his payday before he starts getting hit again.  On top of that the Colts don't have to outbid other teams who might be trying to sign Mack.  

its also the right thing for the team to do as far as player relations go

you dont really want a guy on a 4th round contract near the top of the league in carries while making less than his own backups

you want to be known as a team that rewards players who have earned it, and mack has done that imo 

9 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

you dont really want a guy on a 4th round contract near the top of the league in carries while making less than his own backups

you want to be known as a team that rewards players who have earned it, and mack has done that imo 

I'm more than happy with extending early if there is value to be found. I hate that he's the least paid RB on the roster lol.

If they do though, I hope they tie as much to availability (staying on the field) and performance, instead of guarantees. 

18 hours ago, aaron11 said:

18 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I'm more than happy with extending early if there is value to be found. I hate that he's the least paid RB on the roster lol.

If they do though, I hope they tie as much to availability (staying on the field) and performance, instead of guarantees. 

It should be known that if he was making less than his backups previously he is not anymore.  Because of his extended use he got a bump in his 4th year salary that is written into the contract.  He's at 2 million next year. 

https://overthecap.com/player/marlon-mack/5729/

I believe it's something written into the contract of every player 3rd round and lower.  Basically if you play a certain percentage of team snaps the first 3 years, your 4th year salary see's a small but significant bump.  

6 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

It should be known that if he was making less than his backups previously he is not anymore.  Because of his extended use he got a bump in his 4th year salary that is written into the contract.  He's at 2 million next year. 

https://overthecap.com/player/marlon-mack/5729/

I believe it's something written into the contract of every player 3rd round and lower.  Basically if you play a certain percentage of team snaps the first 3 years, your 4th year salary see's a small but significant bump.  

Glad he got a little bump. Still leaves him outside of the top 25 though. 

I'd like to see him in the 4-5M per year range.

I suspect the Colts are offering 3/20 or maybe 4/25.

I suspect Mack wants 4/30.    Hope it's not 5/35-40.

This has taken longer than I thought it would.

Same with AC.    Thought he'd have a decision by now.    The longer this goes,  the more I fear his final answer.....

35 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I suspect the Colts are offering 3/20 or maybe 4/25.

I suspect Mack wants 4/30.    Hope it's not 5/35-40.

This has taken longer than I thought it would.

Same with AC.    Thought he'd have a decision by now.    The longer this goes,  the more I fear his final answer.....

In the IndyStar article it said that Mack’s contract negotiations would heat up at the combine when they can talk face to face to his agent. It didn’t indicate anything was close.

21 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

In the IndyStar article it said that Mack’s contract negotiations would heat up at the combine when they can talk face to face to his agent. It didn’t indicate anything was close.

I know what the article said.  But "Heat up"?   This is not a big contract for us.  It's not like we are trying to sign Nelson or Leonard or even AC for that matter.  They could face time and get this done unless Mack is being unreasonable.  

22 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I know what the article said.  But "Heat up"?   This is not a big contract for us.  It's not like we are trying to sign Nelson or Leonard or even AC for that matter.  They could face time and get this done unless Mack is being unreasonable.  

They probably just let the agent know they want to extend him and a ball park figure. It’s a lot easier to have real negotiations face to face. That’s what I took from the article.