Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chargers are moving on from Rivers

LOL.  Big surprise.

I think Rivers moved on from them when he moved to Florida.  And he probably decided he was going to move on from them when the team decided to move on from SD.  He didn't like that move at all.

Welcome to the LAC, Mr. Herbert.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

LOL.  Big surprise.

I think Rivers moved on from them when he moved to Florida.  And he probably decided he was going to move on from them when the team decided to move on from SD.  He didn't like that move at all.

Welcome to the LAC, Mr. Herbert.

You never know what could happen in a trade. Colts have the picks to try and move up.

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I agree with this that the Chargers are very close.  I have always had Brady going there.  Dalton also makes sense.  If they get either one then they are a trade back candidate.  Could be a perfect spot for the Colts.  

I would think with the talent they have they would want more of a veteran. They are in a win now mode. A rookie sets them back. They are not on a rebuilding mode. They have more talent then the colts I think. Go after a tackle in the first and get a veteran. They are getting ready to play in the new stadium so maybe they want a young exciting QB. So much can change after FA starts. If they get Brady they have to take a tackle at 6 though.

53 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Bridgewater said that it would need to be the right situation if he was going to leave NO. Chargers would be since they are set up to win. This QB situation in the draft isn’t close to being finalized.

The right situation, aka a starting job and a starters contract.  Lol

• Like 2

Rivers to Indy would buy us a couple of more years to build the rest of the team until its time to draft a decent QB.   IMO this is a very bad draft for QB's beside Burrow Tua and maybe in the 2nd round Herbert.    The rest are just backups in the makings

19 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

Rivers to Indy would buy us a couple of more years to build the rest of the team until its time to draft a decent QB.   IMO this is a very bad draft for QB's beside Burrow Tua and maybe in the 2nd round Herbert.    The rest are just backups in the makings

I disagree.  I think it is as good as 2004 qb class burrow,  tua,herbert, love, and fromm  could all be good starters. Gordon  and Eason could also become good starters  if drafted by right team

39 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

This is a young team. This is the time to go get that guy in the draft when the team is still young. Not when you have a bunch of old guys.

I'd take a look at rivers... He'd probably want a two or three yr contract.  Wouldn't strap the team long term cap wise, and he'd be behind a serious OL with a hopefully upgraded skill position group on O....  I'm down, do this, have him mentor Kelly and a rookie QB from this, or next draft... Still draft a big stud DT or OT at 13 in April...

3 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

I'd take a look at rivers... He'd probably want a two or three yr contract.  Wouldn't strap the team long term cap wise, and he'd be behind a serious OL with a hopefully upgraded skill position group on O....  I'm down, do this, have him mentor Kelly and a rookie QB from this, or next draft... Still draft a big stud DT or OT at 13 in April...

That would be to long  of a contract for me. By that time our team is getting older and then getting a young QB would be a waste of this young teams talent.  One year is all I would want.  All the old QB are on their way out. Time to get a young one to compete with Mahomes and Watson and soon burrow.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Would rivers sign just a one year deal? I wouldn’t want it if it was for more then that. It doesn’t advance this teams future unless we still draft a QB. It would be a waste of a young team for anymore then one year. 

Think of how good Hines would be with Rivers. He is so similar to Ekeler.

I think you could do two or three structured to be a two year deal in reality .... With this OL, I'd be fine with two years. .. the guy has never missed a game in his career, threw for 4600 yards, 67%, and 23 TDs last yr.... He'd hopefully get the 20 int down, but he's always thrown them... The 34 sacks would be reduced you'd think

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That would be to long  of a contract for me. By that time our team is getting older and then getting a young QB would be a waste of this young teams talent.  One year is all I would want. 

You cut him after yr two, or sign him to two.  I am not sure the team will add a rookie QB this year.  You'd need rivers to bridge the new guy in year two I'd think.  And this team won't be getting older in two seasons.... Guys will just be entering their primes.  This is o e of the youngest teams in the league, if not THE youngest 

KC had plenty of vets when they drafted Myhomey..... Works just fine if your building a team correctly.... From the lines out.

6 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

You cut him after yr two, or sign him to two.  I am not sure the team will add a rookie QB this year.  You'd need rivers to bridge the new guy in year two I'd think.  And this team won't be getting older in two seasons.... Guys will just be entering their primes.  This is o e of the youngest teams in the league, if not THE youngest 

Entering their primes is why you don’t want a rookie. You want that guy now so when they are in their primes we have the QB playing his best. I am fine with Rivers for one year and draft a QB. Rivers is fiery though and might be the veteran he is looking for.

Getting Rivers though might allow us to draft Eason at 34 or maybe even Fromm and develop them. I don’t like either of them as much as Herbert or Love though.

17 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Would rivers sign just a one year deal? I wouldn’t want it if it was for more then that. It doesn’t advance this teams future unless we still draft a QB. It would be a waste of a young team for anymore then one year. 

Think of how good Hines would be with Rivers. He is so similar to Ekeler.

IMO, only Burrow, Herbert, and possibly Tua are ready to start day 1 (I would say probably Fromm too but nobody would agree with me).  Rivers can sign a two year deal.  Its just a matter of structuring the contract to limit the cap hit in year 2.

Not sure what Irsay will have to pay JB in cash beginning with the new league year, and through next season, but it could be a wash if he paid Rivers the same cash he would have paid JB.  The only issue would be the salary cap implications, and the Colts have plenty of room to handle it.

41 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Lol. Here is Dan talking about it. I am laughing. That doesn’t sound like anything but someone thinking it could be a possibility. 

His source texts him in the middle of the segment to give him his hot news on a Rivers Colts connection.  Dan and his guys consider the Colts as being in a win now mode and Rivers makes sense for the Colts.  I'm sure Rivers would want a team in a win now mode.  Can you see Ballard trying to convince him that we are?  Can you see him telling Rivers he is going to go all in this year in FA and will get him the help he needs to get it done?  After all Rivers doesn't have many years left.  I am having a hard time seeing this scenario as a possibility.  Now if it was a younger QB in their late 20's or early 30's I can see Ballard being interested in a more longer term upgrade.   But this older QB route doesn't seem like the best solution to our problem.  It would create a lot of excitement in Indy though.  

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

His source texts him in the middle of the segment to give him his hot news on a Rivers Colts connection.  Dan and his guys consider the Colts as being in a win now mode and Rivers makes sense for the Colts.  I'm sure Rivers would want a team in a win now mode.  Can you see Ballard trying to convince him that we are?  Can you see him telling Rivers he is going to go all in this year in FA and will get him the help he needs to get it done?  After all Rivers doesn't have many years left.  I am having a hard time seeing this scenario as a possibility.  Now if it was a younger QB in their late 20's or early 30's I can see Ballard being interested in a more longer term upgrade.   But this older QB route doesn't seem like the best solution to our problem.  It would create a lot of excitement in Indy though.  

It does makes sense if we also draft the future. Only on a one year deal though.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Entering their primes is why you don’t want a rookie. You want that guy now so when they are in their primes we have the QB playing his best. I am fine with Rivers for one year and draft a QB. Rivers is fiery though and might be the veteran he is looking for.

Getting Rivers though might allow us to draft Eason at 34 or maybe even Fromm and develop them. I don’t like either of them as much as Herbert or Love though.

How often in NFL history do you think teams had a great QB In his prime, and the majority of their roster was the same age?  It doesn't matter, it's not like the team will stop bringing in talent every year after they find a QB.... You have to get the QB when he is available, not before.... Not after.... Aka don't reach, and don't give up too much for one.... You take him when he comes along, rest of the roster age be damned.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

It does makes sense if we also draft the future. Only on a one year deal though.

So why bother for one year.   That kills the win now situation that they were talking about in the segment.  I would rather have JB than a QB who is only committing to one year and who just wants one more big payday.  Spend the money somewhere else. 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

So why bother for one year.   That kills the win now situation that they were talking about in the segment.  I would rather have JB than a QB who is only committing to one year and who just wants one more big payday.  Spend the money somewhere else. 

I actually agree with you. I think you just role with Jacoby a year if you draft a guy and think they need to sit. I think we have too many QB on our roster right now making to much money to cut if we brought Rivers in and drafted. But I do see how it could help a rookie out who would sit a year. Rivers would also provide that edge Ballard says is  missing on the team.  I am not for it though if we do nothing in the draft. That just delays the inevitable.

If you draft a QB this year, and you think he is talented, you want a *great veteran* to be able to teach him.

Jacoby, for all the things he does well, is not the guy I'd want mentoring the future QB.  Not enough experience.  Hoyer would not be that guy either.

This is the only path that makes sense (signing a proven veteran and drafting a QB) if the Colts are serious about upgrading QB for now, and the future, this year.

• Thanks 1

This is the ideal approach...replace the QB room...wash the stink off from last season...move on the from Luck era entirely...and try to win in the short and long-term. I am not sure what Rivers has left...but he has the Reich connection and is only a year removed from a very good season. The Colts have the resources to afford this strategy.