Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offseason Discussion

LuckyHorseShoe§

On 12/2/2019 at 12:04 AM, GoColts8818 said:

I agree with QB and I think Jacoby would be the bridge guy to get the new guy ready which is fine.  

Id add a secondary WR who can stay healthy to the list of needs too.  I am fine with drafting one high but let’s remember that’s what they did with Campbell too and as we have seen this year even when he plays he hasn’t made a big impact.  So the Colts might have to explore a trade or free agency again to address that spot.  They might even do a one year do over again with Funch.  

Id look for a guy who you think can be the future at right guard in this draft as well.  It doesn’t have to be a top pick but most of the Colts line problems this year have involved Glow.  A mid round pick that the Colts like wouldn’t be a bad plan.  

Id look careful at the Norte Dame tightend.  He might be too high of a pick to invest in a tightend right now but if he’s isn’t a top pick he’d do pretty well at tightend I think.  Id also bring back Doyle and let Ebron walk unless they can keep Ebron on the cheap.

I am with you about the dline.  I am in the minority here but I don’t think DT is a huge need for the Colts.  Can it be upgraded?  Sure.  Do the Colts have bigger problems to worry about?  IMO yes.  The Colts have invested heavy draft capital the last three years on defense, and rightfully so, at some point you have to let those young kids play and trust in them.  I think the defense has performed well enough this year that you don’t need to overhaul it.  Maybe tweak it a little here or there in free agency but I think they have their core in place with Leonard, Walker, Rock, Willis, Hooker, Moore, and, Houston.  It’s really a shame Turey got hurt because he was starting to come on.  I am also excited to see what Banogu can do with another offseason under him.

You can get a starting kicker in the seventh round or even undrafted.  Id expect a repeat of the punter situation when McAfee retired.  Sign a vet and bring in a kid you like and let them compete for the job in the pre-season and keep the one you like the best.  

Still like you I don’t think this team is going anywhere without a long term answer at QB.  That should be priority one this off-season.  If they have to move up in the draft to get one fine.  If you take a kid that needs to be groomed for part of the year that’s fine.  Jacoby can be a transitional QB.  He just can’t be the long term answer.

A problem is that the team won't be enjoyable to watch with Brissett playing QB. It is painful watching the game.  I end up channel surfing through the other games and not coming back to the Colts game until the final score.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

So let's say there are roughly four tiers of QBs in the NFL:

Elite- Rodgers, Wilson, Mahomes, etc

Good- Cousins, Stafford, Brady (at this point in his career), etc

Mediocre- JB, Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, etc

Bad- Jameis Winston, Trubisky, Flacco, etc

Now, regardless of where you think those guys actually fit, if we were to trade draft capital from only this year and snag a QB that could end up at least in the good tier, I would consider that completely worth it. I haven't watched the QBs in college too much this year, but from what I've seen only Burrow is elite, but there are a lot of good options. I would trade our second round picks if we could snag one of them, and then we could have JB and Hoyer tutor them their first year. Plus, they would have a great OL, a good RB room, and at least one elite WR and an excellent TE (assuming we resign either Doyel or Ebron) as well as a stout D. If we could achieve this in the draft, we could absolutely be competing for the AFCS with the cows next year.

I agree. It’s just hard to predict if any of the QB’s in the draft (Burrow included) will pan out. I do agree however that the risk is worth taking. Otherwise, the Colts will be stuck in mediocrity. 

9 hours ago, Restored said:

I agree. It’s just hard to predict if any of the QB’s in the draft (Burrow included) will pan out. I do agree however that the risk is worth taking. Otherwise, the Colts will be stuck in mediocrity. 

It was not long ago a team with the #3 overall pick traded up one spot to #2, while giving up their 3, 67, 111, and the following year 3rd round pick.

Their choice?  Mitchell Trubisky

Mahomes went 10th, Watson went 12th. No other first rounders were QB.  In the 2nd round, only Deshone Kizer.  Davis Webb and CJ Beatherd in the 3rd.

For #2 overall, I expected more. Maybe Trubisky turns the corner at some point, but he is stuck at the light presently. And shows how easy it possibly is to feel great on draft day, and then scratching your head almost 3 years later.

On 12/3/2019 at 8:17 AM, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

No kicker? Man you must be an even bigger AV fan than me lol

Just kidding

That need is a given. I only listed picks for the first 4 rounds so...
 with the 5th rd pick i choose future hall of Famer... LOL 
  And yes i am feeling real bad for Vinny. No way it should have ended this way.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

It was not long ago a team with the #3 overall pick traded up one spot to #2, while giving up their 3, 67, 111, and the following year 3rd round pick.

Mahomes went 10th, Watson went 12th. No other first rounders were QB.  In the 2nd round, only Deshone Kizer.  Davis Webb and CJ Beatherd in the 3rd.

For #2 overall, I expected more. Maybe Trubisky turns the corner at some point, but he is stuck at the light presently. And shows how easy it possibly is to feel great on draft day, and then scratching your head almost 3 years later.

You left out that same draft, KC traded up from 27th to 10th for Mahomes.

They gave up the 27th pick, a 2017 3rd and 2018 1st. I’m sure their content.  

Did anyone see Mahomes honestly going top 10? 

That’s why I don’t put stock in the mocks. They tend to program the Armchair GMs.

3 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Teams in the NFL today greatly overvalue the QB position. It's no surprise to see what the Bears did that year given that atleast one team usually makes this type of move each year.

Trubisky likely should have been taken later than he was given how he has played to this point.

The Colts could easily move up into a similar position that the Chiefs and Texans did that year to get the QB they have their eyes on. I know we like to think Ballard is all about trading back and acquiring picks but I would not be shocked to see him utilize that capital to move up and get the QB that he wants.

3 hours ago, MPStack said:

You left out that same draft, KC traded up from 27th to 10th for Mahomes.

I kiond of thought everyone knew about Andy moving up for him, even though Alex Smith was still the QB.

They gave up the 27th pick, a 2017 3rd and 2018 1st. I’m sure their content.  

Yes, as are the Texans after trading their pick No. 25 and their 2018 first-rounder in the 2018 draft to take Watson at #12.

Did anyone see Mahomes honestly going top 10? 

That’s why I don’t put stock in the mocks. They tend to program the Armchair GMs.

And mocks don't foresee trades which happen more and more each year.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

The only way JB starts in 2020 is that the Colts win out and make playoffs, otherwise we a QB regardless.

There is no Qb who is going to come here and play for just a year. A rookie is most likely sitting a year. Fans are just going to have to realize Jacoby is most likely the starter next season while a rookie waits a year. IF we stay healthy on offense it will be better then this year. 2021 will be the start of the new QB. Unless Luck comes back we are going to go with Jacoby. Think of how close the games have been this year. Just a few plays here or there and a kicker and we have a very good record despite everyone trashing Jacoby.

10 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

That just goes to show how dumb the Bears are then. Trubisky was a bigger question mark than Watson or Mahomes and they still wasted picks on him. And they’re still paying for that mistake

9 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

That need is a given. I only listed picks for the first 4 rounds so...
 with the 5th rd pick i choose future hall of Famer... LOL 
  And yes i am feeling real bad for Vinny. No way it should have ended this way.

Yeah, I feel bad for Vinny. He’s done a lot for this team and this state, and he is a legitimately good guy. It sucks it had to end like this for him, but I hope in a year or two this year is forgotten and we can remember Vinny for the GOAT and the legend he is.

Also, as soon as AV retires number 4 needs to be retired as well, or plans need to be made to do it at a game.

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am excited that we will probably have a young offense next season to go along with the young defense. That is going to be fun to watch. I look at teams like the ravens who are young and exciting. I think we can be the same next year.

And just who may these young guys on offense be. I believe the OL will return intact, TY will be back as will Doyle and Mack. You have stated more that once that JB will be the QB, and I expect Paschal will be back and all a year older. Would not be surprised if Funchess or Campbell returns as well. That is at least 9 or 10 returning from this year.

On 12/1/2019 at 3:24 PM, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Idk man, these last few weeks have really made me doubt Justin Herbert and Eason, but Fromm has looked legit. Hell, he's essentially what people wanted JB to be, an above average game manager. He could likely be had with a 2nd rounder too, and he's NFL ready. 

Best case scenario would be Tua falling to us. 

Alabama really didnt miss a beat offensively without him. He basically has a legit O line and possibly all 3 receivers will go in the 1st round

On 12/1/2019 at 4:03 PM, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

This isn’t a game day thread, so I’d appreciate it if it wasn’t locked.

Regardless of whatever, I thought we could start discussing the offseason a little early. The way I see it, we need (in order of need)

-Kicker

-QB

-WR(s)

-DB(s)

-Another pass rusher

All in all, we have some holes to fill, but we’re still in better shape than after the 2016 season.

Thoughts?

i also think we could upgrade at safety, we need game changers at that position, our current ones seem to be late to the party and make a too late tackle

13 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Alabama really didnt miss a beat offensively without him. He basically has a legit O line and possibly all 3 receivers will go in the 1st round

Tua has bust written all over him imo, especially with his injuries.

But they said the same thing about Frank Gore so what do I know

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

i dont see an elite qb in this draft, but only hoodie saw brady so what do i know

Belichick actually had little to do with Tom getting drafted. 

Outside of Burrow and Tua if he makes a full recovery, I just see a bunch of project guys. I wouldn't mind landing Herbert, Love, or Eason if they can do it without selling the farm, preferably in the 2and round. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Outside of Burrow and Tua if he makes a full recovery, I just see a bunch of project guys. I wouldn't mind landing Herbert, Love, or Eason if they can do it without selling the farm, preferably in the 2and round. 

ballard traded for jb, kept walker around a long time, signed kelly, i hope he can do better picking our next qb

32 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I’d use our first on any of those three, but I wouldn’t want to trade up for Eason or Love at all really.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

ballard traded for jb, kept walker around a long time, signed kelly, i hope he can do better picking our next qb

To Ballard’s credit, the JB trade was very good. We got one of the best backup QBs in the league, and the deflators got Dorsett. Say what you will about JB now, but he was a good backup and has still gotten us six wins. He’s definitely worth the price of Dorsett.

Also, on the Walker point, he looked very good the last two preseasons but was just bad this preseason. Really wasn't much harm in keeping him around for a couple of years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

I’d use our first on any of those three, but I wouldn’t want to trade up for Eason or Love at all really.

Yeah, most mocks I've seen have Herbert going around 8-10, so if that holds we would have to trade up but Love or Eason should fall to us. It's gonna be interesting to see it play out, see if Ballard gets spooked and trades up, or has the nuts to wait and see if they fall...or even ballsier to wait and see if someone falls to the Redskins 2nd.

Hell, he may not go QB in the 1st, if they don't I'm really hoping they get a guy like Lamb, Higgins, or Shenault, a big bodied X receiver to compliment the speed of TY and Campbell. 

1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Yeah, most mocks I've seen have Herbert going around 8-10, so if that holds we would have to trade up but Love or Eason should fall to us. It's gonna be interesting to see it play out, see if Ballard gets spooked and trades up, or has the nuts to wait and see if they fall...or even ballsier to wait and see if someone falls to the Redskins 2nd.

Hell, he may not go QB in the 1st, if they don't I'm really hoping they get a guy like Lamb, Higgins, or Shenault, a big bodied X receiver to compliment the speed of TY and Campbell. 

I don't pay attention to the Redskins, so maybe Haskins is the worst QB of all time, but I think they'll at least give him another year to develop. I completely expect Bengals to take Burrow at one, Redskins take Young at two, and then Dolphins take either Tua or maybe Herbert at three. Dolphins can easily trade up for the guy they want if they aren't number three, considering the bumblebees and cows gave them two more first rounders this year. I don't see the Jets wanting a QB, but the Bears will be chomping at the bit. We're lucky that most crap teams this year are seemingly ok with their QB situations

If the season ended today they would b picking round 17th.  There r possibly 8 teams ahead of them that could b looking at a qb. They will have to trade up to  most likely  get the guy they covet. Chargers Dolphins Raiders Jags Tampa Denver  Carolina and Bengals. There will b some coaching changes and we all know the coach wants to bring in his own guy. I know it sounds stupid but Dak maybe on a short leash.  He bet on himself and it appears to have blown up in his face. Say a Lincoln Riley goes to Dallas next year.  He will want his own guy. Should make for an  interesting draft

On 12/1/2019 at 3:24 PM, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Idk man, these last few weeks have really made me doubt Justin Herbert and Eason, but Fromm has looked legit. Hell, he's essentially what people wanted JB to be, an above average game manager. He could likely be had with a 2nd rounder too, and he's NFL ready. 

Best case scenario would be Tua falling to us. 

I'm an SEC fan and living in Alabama right now and watch Fromm every Saturday.  I'll pass on him. Comparison, Trubisky like....  Not much of an upgrade from JB....  Could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time....

On 12/3/2019 at 5:37 PM, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Thanks for the explanation, I haven’t tuned in to anything NFL after our game Sunday. Not sure I will at this point either

Why not watch other games?  It is more enjoyable than watching Brissett running the Colts.  I have been watching the games featuring the top teams and it is far more enjoyable then the Brissett/Colts games.

23 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

Why not watch other games?  It is more enjoyable than watching Brissett running the Colts.  I have been watching the games featuring the top teams and it is far more enjoyable then the Brissett/Colts games.

Other than my two teams, I couldn’t give a rats * about the NFL. If the Colts and Bengals didn’t play in the NFL I wouldn’t watch it. I’m sure this is just my perspective, but I get no enjoyment out of watching other teams do well. It does nothing for me. If my teams aren’t winning, then I don’t care. I barely even watch the SB at this point

Sorry if that seems mean, just trying to explain my own thought process

I respect watching the other games for the fun of it and I hope you enjoy it, it’s just not for me