Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DB situation against Texans and warming up to Ya-Sin as a starter..

Chucklez

I was among the people who were questioning Ya-Sin as a starter a few weeks ago, not that he is a bad player or that he isn't going to be good, just that he wasn't warranting the fanfare he had received in the build up to the season. I just didn't think he warranted starting status...

Based on the last couple of games though, I have seen some clear progress and he is definitely moving in the right direction. If he is out tomorrow, we have some serious depth issues tomorrow against the Texans with only Desir, Moore, Tell.... and then what, Wilson? Eeesh, I hope those top 3 guys stay in the whole game because it is a serious drop off after them.

The safety position should be good starter-wise with obviously Hooker and Geathers / Odum, but if one of them goes down, depth becomes a huge issue again. We're going to miss Willis.

I hope Fuller isn't a 'go'... and if he is - that he is limited.

8 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

I was among the people who were questioning Ya-Sin as a starter a few weeks ago, not that he is a bad player or that he isn't going to be good, just that he wasn't warranting the fanfare he had received in the build up to the season. I just didn't think he warranted starting status...

Based on the last couple of games though, I have seen some clear progress and he is definitely moving in the right direction. If he is out tomorrow, we have some serious depth issues tomorrow against the Texans with only Desir, Moore, Tell.... and then what, Wilson? Eeesh, I hope those top 3 guys stay in the whole game because it is a serious drop off after them.

The safety position should be good starter-wise with obviously Hooker and Geathers / Odum, but if one of them goes down, depth becomes a huge issue again. We're going to miss Willis.

I hope Fuller isn't a 'go'... and if he is - that he is limited.

Bottomline is this.  He's a rookie, a good one. but still a rookie. He's gonna have up and down moments. He's gonna be tested in various ways. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

You're in OK shape if Wilson is your #4 CB and Milligan is #4 Safety. Also, Milligan has proven to be solid depth at CB as well. 

It could have been MUCH worse.

This is assuming Ya-Sin suits up tomorrow... he’s questionable.

52 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

This is assuming Ya-Sin suits up tomorrow... he’s questionable.

No, assuming Rock suits up then Wilson will likely be inactive again and we will be in the best shape we've been practically all year at CB.

Desir

Moore

Rock

Tell

Milligan (jack-of-trades)

13 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

They won’t roll with only 4 cbs and Milligan surely? Willis is out at safety, Milligan will be safety depth.

if we lose a safety and cb to injury in game (ver possible), we couldn’t afford another injury. Too risky surely?

At most they activate Quincy as well, but we've gone into games in a lot worse shape and Quincy was still inactive. I recall a game with just Rock, Tell, Shaq, Milligan and Quincy still inactive.

Milligan has proven capable at coming in at CB and Safety so he makes it essentially 5 CBs and 4 safeties. 

Ya-Sin had one terrible game and people were going bananas. It's not like he's a rookie or anything. I think having a terrible game is actually a blessing in disguise for a guy like Rock. He's his biggest critic and his work ethic is second to none. He followed up a bad game by putting a solid performance against the Jaguars while going against a beast in DJ Chark. Rock Ya-Sin is fine and is exceeding all expectations. Marvell Tell is another guy who looked promising at corner these past few games and has shown a ton of potential.

24 minutes ago, Perfect_Clark said:

Ya-Sin had one terrible game and people were going bananas. It's not like he's a rookie or anything. I think having a terrible game is actually a blessing in disguise for a guy like Rock. He's his biggest critic and his work ethic is second to none. He followed up a bad game by putting a solid performance against the Jaguars while going against a beast in DJ Chark. Rock Ya-Sin is fine and is exceeding all expectations. Marvell Tell is another guy who looked promising at corner these past few games and has shown a ton of potential.

Tell has alot of passes defensed for only having limited  action 

36 minutes ago, Perfect_Clark said:

To be fair:

1. It was more than just one bad game by Rock. Yes it’s expected because he’s a rookie, but you have to call it for what it is

2. The Inverse is also true. There are a lot of people who overreact to one good game or one good PFF score for a player. Neither is inherently right or wrong.

• Like 1

Rock has to stop grabbing, and work on finding the ball. He's feisty, he seems to have a resilient attitude, and he's tough, but his technique falters and he commits penalties (even when they don't get called). This goes back to his college tape. I like him but he has to clean it up.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

Rock has to stop grabbing, and work on finding the ball. He's feisty, he seems to have a resilient attitude, and he's tough, but his technique falters and he commits penalties (even when they don't get called). This goes back to his college tape. I like him but he has to clean it up.

His wrestling  background 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Perfect_Clark said:

Nice penmanship 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Superman said:

I think that's a lot easier to clean up/improve, than other deficiencies. I'm sure he is adjusting to the scheme, and speed of the NFL. When he changed schools/schemes in college, his coaches said it was a huge change and RYS was an incredibly fast learner. Given he got the fire hose treatment from the start of the year, I think he's preformed very well given the responsibility. I don't want him to lose his "stickiness", but I do want him to refine his technique and start looking for the ball. I'm confident he'll take a nice step in year two. 

• Like 1

Our secondary is on the up, although had you read some posts earlier in the season, it was more like The Legion of Doom and Gloom. Rock will improve, KW will improve. Hooker will improve. Desir will stay steady and I like Kenny. Tell is also shaping up well. 

We are looking good for the next few years I hope.....

Wilson........on the way out I fear, perhaps with Geathers.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I think that's a lot easier to clean up/improve, than other deficiencies. I'm sure he is adjusting to the scheme, and speed of the NFL. When he changed schools/schemes in college, his coaches said it was a huge change and RYS was an incredibly fast learner. Given he got the fire hose treatment from the start of the year, I think he's preformed very well given the responsibility. I don't want him to lose his "stickiness", but I do want him to refine his technique and start looking for the ball. I'm confident he'll take a nice step in year two. 

I'm more concerned with him not finding the ball than with the penalties. Actually, I think he panics when he doesn't know where the ball is, so it kind of feeds into the penalties. He's played ten games, so I'm not writing him off, but it's definitely not automatic that he'll improve in these areas.

If he cleans up his technique and gets more comfortable defending the top of the route, I think the game might slow down for him. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm more concerned with him not finding the ball than with the penalties. Actually, I think he panics when he doesn't know where the ball is, so it kind of feeds into the penalties. He's played ten games, so I'm not writing him off, but it's definitely not automatic that he'll improve in these areas.

If he cleans up his technique and gets more comfortable defending the top of the route, I think the game might slow down for him. 

I think you’re being a little tough on the Rock. No doubt he has room to improve, and you’ve properly pointed out where that has to be. But he’s a rookie and will get better. I think he has the foundation for a solid starting CB and I’d look for a big improvement next year on the holding and ball location. 

49 minutes ago, Superman said:

Agreed. We also have to really hope that all his bad habits are coachable. There aren’t a lot of collegiate DB coaches who teach NFL technique, especially at the level he played at. In a lot of cases, who I guy is in college is who he is in the pro’s.

21 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Agreed. We also have to really hope that all his bad habits are coachable. There aren’t a lot of collegiate DB coaches who teach NFL technique, especially at the level he played at. In a lot of cases, who I guy is in college is who he is in the pro’s.

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

I think you’re being a little tough on the Rock. No doubt he has room to improve, and you’ve properly pointed out where that has to be. But he’s a rookie and will get better. I think he has the foundation for a solid starting CB and I’d look for a big improvement next year on the holding and ball location. 

I said I like him, but I think the issues I presented are legitimate.

I also think people sometimes assume young players automatically get better, and that's not the case. Some of these "minor" issues never improve for certain players, and it limits their potential. That's not a prediction about Rock, just a general statement.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Superman said:

I also think people sometimes assume young players automatically get better, and that's not the case. Some of these "minor" issues never improve for certain players, and it limits their potential. That's not a prediction about Rock, just a general statement.

Quoted for truth. Not every player improves, and not every player that improves does so drastically either.

• Thanks 1