Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby and the future

HectorRoberts

11 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

It sucks to see Andrew go but what is the expectation for us now? Jacoby is our qb now, do we view him as a franchise guy, stop gap guy, or a complete bust and we find a new qb in next years draft.

Well, let’s see how Jacoby performs this year.  Generally speaking, most NFL personnel people haven’t viewed him as a viable permanent starter.  But now’s his opportunity to prove them wrong.  He’s going to be surrounded by a pretty good coterie of supporting talent — on the line, in the backfield, and down the field.

If it doesn’t work out, then of course we’re going to be joining the long line of teams on the hunt for “the one.”  And that, of course, is what we all fear...we thought we already him and we’ve seen what other teams have had to go through to find the right guy...often coming up short.

We know Ballard loves to move down the draft board.  Maybe he’ll be using those same skills to go the other way in the next draft.

It sucks that we’re in this position.  But it’s where we’re at and we just have to make the best of it.

2 minutes ago, coltsfanej said:

Jacoby has got this! Go COLTS! 

After sleeping on it, I think I may be more excited for the season than I was before.  

Back to the underdogs baby. No one expects us to be relevant now after this blow. Let's prove them wrong!!

I’m not going to join the gloom brigade.  I do think a lot of people are overreacting.

But, realistically, I don’t think it’s wrong to expect that our likely final record will go down a few Ws.  There’s a reason Andrew was expected to start and Jacoby was expected to be the #2.

That said, we are where we are and we move forward the very best we can.

Having Brissett under center may change our offensive strategy a bit.  It’ll be interesting to see if we make any adjustments.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I don’t know if JB is good enough to carry a bad team.  He’s probably good enough to manage the game & get us some wins though.  Maybe the best thing that can happen is that this becomes the Maniac’s team (ala Ray Lewis).  That would mean we’d perennially have a top rated defense & JB won’t have the pressure to carry the load (kinda like a young Brady did early on & got 3 quick Super Bowls).

This is not a bad team that is crap 2017 was a horrible team so we couldnt really see how good Brissett can be I hope he can show he can be just as good as Luck.

• Like 1

I think there might be ten teams in the league who have top quality qb's. The other 22 starters are interchangeable amongst each other. I wouldn't want Goff but he went to the sb last year-he sucks. I don't want Trubisky, Jackson, Carr, Dalton, and many many others. This defense can carry this team, all the qb has to do is not turn the ball over and make some great throws occasionally. My opinion on this subject I'm sure differs from most people on here, but again, it is just my opinion. We can play Raven football as they have for the last 20 years, defense and way below average qb play. A they have 2 sb's, one for Modell and one for current owner Bisciotti. Don't throw the towel in yet people!

7 hours ago, krunk said:

I just wish I could get a closer look at Kelly vs starting level defenders.  I'm not going to lie but the kid looks pretty damn good.  He's got a real nice arm, he's accurate, aggressive, poised, he's faster than Brissett, seems to have a good working knowledge of what's going on out there.  Also he seems to have a little bit of moxie about himself.  I'd really like to get a couple more looks at him because we might have something there.  He's a bit more than an Orlovsky or a Painter that much I'm certain of.  I don't think he's a scrub.

He’s not a scrub at all. Not even close to it. Ever since we picked him up I’ve been looking at his film and stats from college. I’m unsure about his head, but I’m totally sure about his immense talent.

In two games against Alabama, he put up 762 yards, 7 TDs and 0 INT’s, with a mediocre (at best) supporting cast at Ole Miss and they scored 88 freaking points in those two games. 

The only other QB to ever throw for that many yards against Nick Saban? Drew Brees at Purdue.

In 2015, he had the third most total yards in a single season in SEC history.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

You realize we have 52 other players who are pretty great.

you realize that all our offense is talking a hit cause we now have to play a worse QB all year long. the D is improved but i doubt its one of the best in the league like you seem to think.

I’m moving on. Luck is no longer with us.  Jacoby is the leader now.  He has talented players all around him.  He isn’t Luck but he has some ability and talent of his own.  Time for players and fans alike to rally around Jacoby. We are underdogs once more. That’s a role that this franchise and its head coach relishes even thrives in.  Let’s get it! 

To be honest...Jacoby right now is probably better than the version of Andrew Luck we would have gotten to open the season.  Luck would be a broke down, heart not really in it version of himself and likely rusty from seeing little to no on field action in the preseason.  At least the players have been playing with Jacoby all off season long.  So we start the season with more chemistry than we would have with a gimpy Andrew Luck.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Two_pound said:

I think there might be ten teams in the league who have top quality qb's. The other 22 starters are interchangeable amongst each other. I wouldn't want Goff but he went to the sb last year-he sucks. I don't want Trubisky, Jackson, Carr, Dalton, and many many others. This defense can carry this team, all the qb has to do is not turn the ball over and make some great throws occasionally. My opinion on this subject I'm sure differs from most people on here, but again, it is just my opinion. We can play Raven football as they have for the last 20 years, defense and way below average qb play. A they have 2 sb's, one for Modell and one for current owner Bisciotti. Don't throw the towel in yet people!

I love what Ballard and Eberflus have done with the D.  We’ve got some very promising young talent over there.  We’ve long been considered a mid-to-low Defensive team.  But last year, it was actually respectable.

But let’s not overstate it.  Our D isn’t exactly the ‘85 Bears or the Lewis-era Ravens.  There’s a reason you didn’t see our D up in the top 5 of your fantasy draft cheat sheet.

That said, it doesn’t mean we’re going 4-12.

13 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I don’t know if JB is good enough to carry a bad team.  He’s probably good enough to manage the game & get us some wins though.  Maybe the best thing that can happen is that this becomes the Maniac’s team (ala Ray Lewis).  That would mean we’d perennially have a top rated defense & JB won’t have the pressure to carry the load (kinda like a young Brady did early on & got 3 quick Super Bowls).

You realized you just called him Trent Dilfer.  :default_20smile:

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

To be honest...Jacoby right now is probably better than the version of Andrew Luck we would have gotten to open the season.  Luck would be a broke down, heart not really in it version of himself and likely rusty from seeing little to no on field action in the preseason.  At least the players have been playing with Jacoby all off season long.  So we start the season with more chemistry than we would have with a gimpy Andrew Luck.  

And....he has more Super Bowl rings than Andrew Luck!:thmup:

• Like 1

I think Brissett is the guy, he should at least get this season to prove he’s an NFL starter. He’s got a very strong arm, can make all the throws, it’s just a matter of if he has the accuracy. He’s got good legs too.

With Hilton, Funchess, Campbell, Doyle, Ebron he won’t have a shortage of weapons. Unlike 2017, he’ll actually have a line that can block for him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just wanted to mention Chad Kelly.  He is the nephew of QB Jim Kelly.

He has had disciplinary problems since high school.

His most recent problems involve disorderly conduct and criminal trespassing.  The DC was about fighting with bouncers outside of a bar.  The CT was following a woman home to her residence after a party.

I'm assuming alcohol has played a big part in his behavior.

14 minutes ago, GwinnettColt said:

You realized you just called him Trent Dilfer.  :default_20smile:

And....he has more Super Bowl rings than Andrew Luck!:thmup:

Or Joe Flacco.  Or Eli Manning.  Or young Tom Brady.  Or old Peyton Manning at the end.  It’s been a lot of good QB’s carried to the top by a great defense. But just like those QB’s somewhere along the way JB or Kelly or whomever we ultimately go with will have to win big games.  How many number 1 pick QB’s have won the Super Bowl?  I bet it’s not many.  We just need a good QB that can win us some games just don’t lose us a lot of em.

5 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Or Joe Flacco.  Or Eli Manning.  Or young Tom Brady.  Or old Peyton Manning at the end.  It’s been a lot of good QB’s carried to the top by a great defense. But just like those QB’s somewhere along the way JB or Kelly or whomever we ultimately go with will have to win big games.  How many number 1 pick QB’s have won the Super Bowl?  I bet it’s not many.  We just need a good QB that can win us some games just don’t lose us a lot of em.

I think Jacoby will be better this time around and will win more games.  He's improved and we have better personnel around him, especially with the O-line but with the defense, also. 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 11:36 AM, AlanNC said:

Jacoby is one of the best back up QB’s in the NFL.  A back up will not take us to the playoffs.  We will win 6 to 8 games but that will keep us out of draft at the top of the draft.  

Tom Brady used to be a backup

• Like 1

I think Brissett will be trouble for the Colts.   The team around him is very good.   He'll have a decent season.   Then he'll be in the Dak situation.   Do the Colts give an above average QB a huge contract and lock themselves into above average, but not greatness for the next decade?

I’m thinking without Luck, we reduce our win total by 2.  I hope Brissett is better than this predicted deficit.  Glorious opportunity for him in a contract year.  This season will reveal whether he’s truly starting caliber or not.  It will be exciting to watch!

Go Colts!

• Like 1