Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which WR's do we keep?

twfish

Who's your 6 WR?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. With so many WR's showing up right now who do you see being the final 6?

• Hilton, Funchess, Campbell, Rodgers, Johnson, Cain
    • Hilton, Funchess, Campbell, Rodgers, Cain, Fountain
    • Hilton, Funchess, Campbell, Cain, Fountain, Hogan
    • Hilton, Funchess, Campbell, Cain, Johnson, Pascal
    • Hilton, Funchess, Campbell, Rodgers, Johnson, Pascal
    • Hilton Funchess, Campbell, Rodgers, Cain, Pascal
    • Hilton, Funchess, Campbell, Rodgers, Fountain, Johnson
    • Other
  2. 2. Do we keep 5 or 6 Wrs?

2 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Hogan has jumped Johnson IMO, question is do we keep only 5 and if so Rogers or Hogan or Pascal ? Hilton and Funchess are 1-2. Cain close behind at 3 and expect him to play a lot early and Campbell isnt going anywhere.

Hogan has most upside compared to the other two.

After today's game, the guy who catches balls for the QB in warmups may have jumped Johnson.

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I’d agree with that.  Like I said who you play with in the pre-season matters and Pascal is still playing with the ones while the other guys he’s competing with, except for Cain (who I think is well ahead of him right now), aren’t.  So right now I think he has the edge if the Colts keep six.  

Something else to remember is Campbell’s injuries might force them to keep another WR as well.

Has Pascal done anything so far to warrant that last wr spot? I was a big fan of what Johnson could bring but can’t bring bricks for hands to any game when competition is so tight. Hogan had his A game today in catching. 

I want to find any way possible to keep #86 though. If that means sacrificing Travis, so be it. That dude has massive potential. Great blocker and it appears, he can catch. Doyle’s replacement after next season? 

9 minutes ago, coltsva said:

After today's game, the guy who catches balls for the QB in warmups may have jumped Johnson.

Agreed. Johnson loses out on his spot today. Has two games to redeem self. 

Still seeing "ifs" around Rogers. Unless Campbell comes back tomorrow and kills it at both slot and PR,  Rogers is a lock. Even if Campbell comes back and kills it, Rogers is still very likely to on the 53. He's running with the ones, he hasn't screwed up, and he still looks to be the best bet at PR given the snaps and performance thus far. The biggest threat to Rogers IMO was having both Campbell and Fountain balling out. Since Fountain is out of the conversation and Campbell is still gimpy, pretty clear.

It's probably more of a conversation between keeping a 6th WR and 4th TE right now. Pascal isn't making a lot of noise for the 6th spot, but Hentges is making a lot of noise. Not sure Hentges would pass waivers at this point and make it to the practice team. So long as Cain looks 100%, and Funch doesn't get hurt, I think they'll likely stay with 5 WRs. I can see Hogan and Dulin on the PS.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CanuckColt said:

We should put Campbell on PUP.

He is so far behind the other WRs that he cannot make up the lost ground before Game 1...another injured Ohio State guy...good chance he is in and out of the lineup for his whole career...reminds me of Anthony Gonzalez.

Campbell is not eligible for PUP since he started camp. He is a rookie and was going to be limited anyway. I bet he is back at practice this week.

5 hours ago, twfish said:

I am really pulling for Hogan. I would take him over Johnson and Pascal all day personally. Ive got a feeling we will see him alot against the bears.

If we do keep 6, he'd be my 6th over Pascal. Johnson seemed to hurt his stock last week.

However things turn out, it's simply awesome to have so much competition at the position this year. Really hate what happened to Fountain. He might have been the primary reason that the coaches were thinking about 

Another interesting tidbit I saw in the article, is that the coaches have had him playing primarily from the slot. Not sure if that's because they've got a bunch of Xs to look at, or they just needed another primary slot for camp. They always rotate Xs to slot especially in RZ or short yardage situations, but it sounded to me like it was more than that. He's a little tall (6-3) to be a traditional slot, but who knows.

If he doesn't make the 53, I'd love to have both him and Dulin on the PS.

30 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

If we do keep 6, he'd be my 6th over Pascal. Johnson seemed to hurt his stock last week.

However things turn out, it's simply awesome to have so much competition at the position this year. Really hate what happened to Fountain. He might have been the primary reason that the coaches were thinking about 

Another interesting tidbit I saw in the article, is that the coaches have had him playing primarily from the slot. Not sure if that's because they've got a bunch of Xs to look at, or they just needed another primary slot for camp. They always rotate Xs to slot especially in RZ or short yardage situations, but it sounded to me like it was more than that. He's a little tall (6-3) to be a traditional slot, but who knows.

If he doesn't make the 53, I'd love to have both him and Dulin on the PS.

He wont make the practice squad since his eligibility is used up. The article is talking about a bully slot. Essentially instead of using a speedster as a slot to get open you use a large body receiver matched up against a slot cornerback or a safety and use the large body of the receiver to abuse them. 

I like my odds of 6'3 220 vs 5'10 190 a whole lot more than I like 4.4 vs 4.5. Ebron played the position alot and funchess will too. IMHO Hogan fit the tradition X receiver prototype the best of the other receivers. I would certainly hate to be the one making the cuts this year

33 minutes ago, twfish said:

He wont make the practice squad since his eligibility is used up. The article is talking about a bully slot. Essentially instead of using a speedster as a slot to get open you use a large body receiver matched up against a slot cornerback or a safety and use the large body of the receiver to abuse them. 

I like my odds of 6'3 220 vs 5'10 190 a whole lot more than I like 4.4 vs 4.5. Ebron played the position alot and funchess will too. IMHO Hogan fit the tradition X receiver prototype the best of the other receivers. I would certainly hate to be the one making the cuts this year

He still has one year of eligibility left for the PS.

I'm very familiar with the different types of WRs, concepts, etc.. Funch will play a lot of big or bully slot. I envision that role increasing as Cain takes more snaps at X. The TE position and alignment in general is very similar to slot, so not sure I'd say Ebron is playing from the slot. He's just a TE in normal alignment playing a detached role. 

In terms of prototype, I think Cain is a more well rounded X option. Only an inch shorter, but faster and with better vert IIRC. Can run speed routes inside or deep, and has the size and vert to grab contested catches where ever he is.

Since Fountain is on the IR I reserve the right to make new selections!

Hilton

Funchess

Campbell

Cain 

Rogers

I think they now decide to carry 5 WR's and 4 TE's with either Ross or Hentges.

Hines or one of the new RB's (presuming Wilkins or Williams end up on the IR or PuP) in Young or Boobie Williams....

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Agree on the 5.

I like Boobie...

Can't speak for everyone, but, I like his name and his game! Fits this type of offense to a T - even if he is sorta redundant. 

However, with as much as they played Hines in the slot last year, a combo of both of them on the field with their receiving skills would bamboozle A LOT of linebackers!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

He still has one year of eligibility left for the PS.

I'm very familiar with the different types of WRs, concepts, etc.. Funch will play a lot of big or bully slot. I envision that role increasing as Cain takes more snaps at X. The TE position and alignment in general is very similar to slot, so not sure I'd say Ebron is playing from the slot. He's just a TE in normal alignment playing a detached role. 

In terms of prototype, I think Cain is a more well rounded X option. Only an inch shorter, but faster and with better vert IIRC. Can run speed routes inside or deep, and has the size and vert to grab contested catches where ever he is.

Ahhh he was on IR last year therefore did not use his second year of PS eligibility correct? The way i interpreted your first post was as someone who was use to the traditional small fast slot so my bad on that part bud. 

I could be off. But I feel like players who were on the team last year either have to get blown away by competition in camp to lose it. For example, Pascal and Wilkins. 

I agree Pascal isnt having a great camp, but the fact that no one has completely outplayed him and the fact he returns kicks, I could see him sticking around. 

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

Williams was cut this morning, he didnt stay long.

No more Boobie?

We are hurting at RB.  I think we are counting on Hines as the 2nd RB a bit too much.   I'm not sold on the guy.   Mack has injury history.    

Hopefully Mack stays healthy, runs for 1200 yards and the others pitch in well.   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Myles said:

No more Boobie?

We are hurting at RB.  I think we are counting on Hines as the 2nd RB a bit too much.   I'm not sold on the guy.   Mack has injury history.    

I guess they're clearing space for Zeke. :D

1 hour ago, Myles said:

No more Boobie?

Or maybe they think Wilkins will be ready to go for game one. I still like Wilkins alot, think hes being underrated a bit on here cause he hasn't been in training camp. Guy averaged 5 yards a carry last year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

Or maybe they think Wilkins will be ready to go for game one. I still like Wilkins alot, think hes being underrated a bit on here cause he hasn't been in training camp. Guy averaged 5 yards a carry last year.

I'm hoping Wilkens could be back soon.   I'm also hoping Ware can continue to improve.

6 hours ago, twfish said:

Ahhh he was on IR last year therefore did not use his second year of PS eligibility correct? The way i interpreted your first post was as someone who was use to the traditional small fast slot so my bad on that part bud. 

Hogan got drafted in 2017, so he's only been in the league 2 years. Teams can have up to 4 players on the PS with 2 previous years of service. 

The way I read the article (more like "read into it"), was that he was playing most of his snaps from slot (rather than X). Since he's not a traditional slot, I was wondering if it was because of either 1) the logjam of Xs, and/or 2) we have so few traditional slots at camp (Rogers getting only the few starter's reps, and Campbell hurt) and needed to stick someone there.

9 hours ago, Myles said:

No more Boobie?

Agreed. This unit is far from being the top 5 rushing team that Frank desires, as Mack can only carry so much (and you only want him to carry so much.)

• Like 1