Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
twfish

Which WR's do we keep?

Who's your 6 WR?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. With so many WR's showing up right now who do you see being the final 6?

• Hilton, Funchess, Campbell, Rodgers, Johnson, Cain
    • Hilton, Funchess, Campbell, Rodgers, Cain, Fountain
    • Hilton, Funchess, Campbell, Cain, Fountain, Hogan
    • Hilton, Funchess, Campbell, Cain, Johnson, Pascal
    • Hilton, Funchess, Campbell, Rodgers, Johnson, Pascal
    • Hilton Funchess, Campbell, Rodgers, Cain, Pascal
    • Hilton, Funchess, Campbell, Rodgers, Fountain, Johnson
    • Other
  2. 2. Do we keep 5 or 6 Wrs?

This is going to be a incredibly difficult task for the coaches and I haven't seen this much talent in awhile. Cain and Fountain would not last on the practice squad and Hogan has used up all practice squad eligibility and i really think these guys are making to big of plays to want to cut. I get the thinking of keeping Rogers for PR duties but I believe his ceiling is below these 3's floors and surely between the three and Hines someone can return punts. 

You think there are more scenarios where Marcus Johnson makes the team than Fountain? I think Fountain is higher up the depth chart than most think.

• Like 1

Just now, shastamasta said:

You think there are more scenarios where Marcus Johnson makes the team than Fountain? I think Fountain is higher up the depth chart than most think.

There are plenty of Scenarios but my head started hurting after 6... haha

I hope we keep 6.  Fountain definitely is outplaying Pascal.  I'd be surprised if they keep Pascal over Rogers.  I guess we will find out in couple of weeks.

What I want it to be: Hilton, Funchess, Campbell, Rogers, Cain, Fountain

What I think will happen: Pascal makes it over Fountain.

• Like 1

I'm thinking it will be 

Hilton, Funchess, Cain, Campbell, Fountain, and Pascal.  

I think the fact they're still trying others out at PR signals they might be thinking Rogers is odd man out. 

• Like 1

Pascal decked Moore in practice today. Can’t underestimate his blocking.

We need to keep Hilton, Funchess, Cain, Campbell, Fountain. Fountain or Cain would get claimed immediately and we would look foolish giving away such a good WR. 

We never keep 6 WRs but always have a good one or two on the PS.

• Like 1

Pascal and Rogers are what Parcells would call 'JAGs. Just A Guy. 

They aren't bad players but there is nothing special or unique about them that require a roster spot. There are 50 guys out there that are about to get get cut or placed on PS that can do what they do.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

We need to keep Hilton, Funchess, Cain, Campbell, Fountain. Fountain or Cain would get claimed immediately and we would look foolish giving away such a good WR. 

Really agree with you.  I really like Rogers, but he hasn’t had any WR moments like the rest have.  PR abilities will only get him so far, given that he’s not much of a threat for PR TDS...

27 minutes ago, Archer said:

Really agree with you.  I really like Rogers, but he hasn’t had any WR moments like the rest have.  PR abilities will only get him so far, given that he’s not much of a threat for PR TDS...

That is what a WR 5 does though.

There is a possibility we trade somebody like Fountain.  Just saw a tweet they are not looking to trade but are getting calls.

I agree Csmopar...Hilton,Cain,Funchess, Campbell are the locks, Fountain very close to be locked himself.  Think Pascal takes final spot, wouldnt be shocked if Hogan or Johnson sticks.  Dulin now above Hart in pecking order, hearing good things on Veasey not much on Roger Lewis so far (Had great college stats winning Paul Warfield trophy and semifinalist for Biletikoff) and his pro career hasnt been impressive.  I could actually see Rogers get traded because he would bring draft pick in return unlike others and a team starved for WR would be usebale (Giants come to mind).

Hilton, Funchess, Campbell, Rodgers, Cain, Fountain

I belive we may end up going with Campbell at PR and Hines at KR.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Iron Colt said:

Pascal and Rogers are what Parcells would call 'JAGs. Just A Guy. 

They aren't bad players but there is nothing special or unique about them that require a roster spot. There are 50 guys out there that are about to get get cut or placed on PS that can do what they do.

Yep. You are absolutely correct.

Campbell should way down on the depth chart seeing what he has accomplished so far in camp compared to the other WRs. 

Yes, he is injured but INJURIES MATTER. If you can't stay healthy then football is not for you. Every player we get from Ohio State seems to be injured a lot. It almost makes me believe that Ohio State is another Juicer U.

Shades of Anthony Gonzalez.

4 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

Campbell should way down on the depth chart seeing what he has accomplished so far in camp compared to the other WRs. 

Yes, he is injured but INJURIES MATTER. If you can't stay healthy then football is not for you. Every player we get from Ohio State seems to be injured a lot. It almost makes me believe that Ohio State is another Juicer U.

Shades of Anthony Gonzalez.

I would love to hear your opinion on Andrew Luck! 

8 hours ago, csmopar said:

I'm thinking it will be 

Hilton, Funchess, Cain, Campbell, Fountain, and Pascal.  

I think the fact they're still trying others out at PR signals they might be thinking Rogers is odd man out. 

They are trying out more people at KR, than PR. Dulin took KR snaps in the Bill game. Hines took first team reps today.

7 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

We kept 6 WRs several weeks last year per the depth chart. Keep in mind the 53 fluctuates all year.

9 hours ago, ManningGM said:

Hilton, Funchess, Campbell, Rodgers, Cain, Fountain

Too easy.

I agree, but what if we only keep 5... yikes; tough choices.

At 6, who goes to the PS?

I think these are going to be the toughest cuts made this year.

(CB right behind)

Next few weeks gonna be fun.

• Like 1

I'd prefer they keep 6 WRs to start the year. They can cut it back to 5 after a few weeks when they are comfortable with the rotation.

Ideally, I'd want them to keep 2Xs (Funch/Cain), 2 slots traditional slots (Rogers/Campbell), and 2 Zs (Hilton/Fountain).

At Slot (we kept 1 last year, but that might change this year)

1) Campbell

- Lock by way of draft spot

- Has been out like 10 straight practices, and just had a recovery "set back"

- Might this end up being an IR situation? Protects his spot, allows the Colts to keep another.

2) Rogers

- Very likely a lock with Campbell's "setback", probably a lock regardless.

- Having PR, and Z back-up duties make his case pretty strong

- OC and HC have gushed about him

THE REST)

-Penny Hart - hurt

At Z - (we only kept one last year, Rogers served as backup)

1) TY - no brainer lock

2) Fountain

- Making a strong case for the 53 vs Bills and at camp

- Looks to have refined his route running

- Won't last is waived, would be claimed, and doubt he'd be cut... 

- Has the measurables to move to X if needed. Really could play any position.

THE REST) 

- Ishmael - placed on IR

- Veasy - really should be in the X stack IMO, but regardless, don't see him making it regardless.

At X (we kept 3 last year due to the mediocre play, injury, musical chairs, etc.)

1) Funchess

-Lock

2) Cain

-Pretty close to a lock if not a lock

-No PS potential as he'd be claimed pretty quick

-He the most high potential X we have, so no way we trade him

-IR is a small possibility if he has a relapse 

3) Pascal

-Sitting right on the line. Not sure we'll keep 3 Xs this year with Funch and a healthy Cain

-His biggest pro right now is probably his experience at KR. 

-Giving KR reps to Dulin vs the Bills, and 1st team reps to Hines this week, not a good sign...

-Very possible he could be waived, claimed, and then cut by another team, potentially ending up back on our PS. 

THE REST) 

-Johnson - has had some flashes, but don't see him making the cut. Ineligible for PS

-Hogan - some flashes, but like Pascal, I could see him waived, claimed, cut, and back on our PS

-Dulin - I like him for the PS. Raw and high ceiling. This year's Fountain.

-Lewis - not going to happen

Stack Rank  (taking into account current injuries, our scheme and positional value)

1. Hilton Z(a)

2. Funch X(a)

3. Rogers Slot(a) + PR

4. Cain X(b)

5. Fountain Z(b) (and slot back up as long as Campbell is hurt)

6. Campbell Slot(b)  (injured)

--------cut line-------------

7. Pacal X

8. Hogan X

9 Johnson X

10 Dulin X/Z/Slot

11 Ismael Z IR

12 Veasy Z

13 Hart Slot

14 Lewis X

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Pascal decked Moore in practice today. Can’t underestimate his blocking.

Moore is the smallest guy on our defense, this isn't a game changer.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Moore is the smallest guy on our defense, this isn't a game changer.

not the smallest, but yes, there's a 5 inch and  25lb difference.

funny-gif-kitten-fighting-big-cat-hit1.g

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Archer said:

What WR moments has Cain had?  

55 minutes ago, MPStack said:

What WR moments has Cain had?  

About every other practice we hear about how fantastic Cain looks.  And he’s now celebrating one straight game without an injury!  ;)

• Like 1

Is Funchess really a lock to make the squad? I would trade him in a heartbeat if anyone was interested. Fountain and Cain have soo much potential and Rogers and Pascal are currently vital to special teams. TY and Campbell along with the other four mentioned above I think is the guys we go with. Campbell may start out on the PUP if he can't shake the hammy.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Is Funchess really a lock to make the squad? I would trade him in a heartbeat if anyone was interested. Fountain and Cain have soo much potential and Rogers and Pascal are currently vital to special teams. TY and Campbell along with the other four mentioned above I think is the guys we go with. Campbell may start out on the PUP if he can't shake the hammy.

he is a lock, his dead cap hit pretty much ensures it.  not likely to be traded, he was just a free agent a few months ago

anyone that wanted him would have signed him, rather than wait for us to do it and then trade for him 

7 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

I'd prefer they keep 6 WRs to start the year. They can cut it back to 5 after a few weeks when they are comfortable with the rotation.

i doubt we have room for that considering our depth across the board

when it comes down to it i say cut Rogers and figure out who else can return punts.  would be nice to hang on to Pascal also, but i dont think KR is worth a roster spot.

I feel like Fountain's ceiling is much higher than Rogers. 

I like Pascal, and his blocking is dang good. 

Cain is the wild card for me. 

8 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Ideally, I'd want them to keep 2Xs (Funch/Cain), 2 slots traditional slots (Rogers/Campbell), and 2 Zs (Hilton/Fountain).

At Slot (we kept 1 last year, but that might change this year)

1) Campbell

- Lock by way of draft spot

- Has been out like 10 straight practices, and just had a recovery "set back"

- Might this end up being an IR situation? Protects his spot, allows the Colts to keep another.

2) Rogers

- Very likely a lock with Campbell's "setback", probably a lock regardless.

- Having PR, and Z back-up duties make his case pretty strong

- OC and HC have gushed about him

THE REST)

-Penny Hart - hurt

At Z - (we only kept one last year, Rogers served as backup)

1) TY - no brainer lock

2) Fountain

- Making a strong case for the 53 vs Bills and at camp

- Looks to have refined his route running

- Won't last is waived, would be claimed, and doubt he'd be cut... 

- Has the measurables to move to X if needed. Really could play any position.

THE REST) 

- Ishmael - placed on IR

- Veasy - really should be in the X stack IMO, but regardless, don't see him making it regardless.

At X (we kept 3 last year due to the mediocre play, injury, musical chairs, etc.)

1) Funchess

-Lock

2) Cain

-Pretty close to a lock if not a lock

-No PS potential as he'd be claimed pretty quick

-He the most high potential X we have, so no way we trade him

-IR is a small possibility if he has a relapse 

3) Pascal

-Sitting right on the line. Not sure we'll keep 3 Xs this year with Funch and a healthy Cain

-His biggest pro right now is probably his experience at KR. 

-Giving KR reps to Dulin vs the Bills, and 1st team reps to Hines this week, not a good sign...

-Very possible he could be waived, claimed, and then cut by another team, potentially ending up back on our PS. 

THE REST) 

-Johnson - has had some flashes, but don't see him making the cut. Ineligible for PS

-Hogan - some flashes, but like Pascal, I could see him waived, claimed, cut, and back on our PS

-Dulin - I like him for the PS. Raw and high ceiling. This year's Fountain.

-Lewis - not going to happen

Stack Rank  (taking into account current injuries, our scheme and positional value)

1. Hilton Z(a)

2. Funch X(a)

3. Rogers Slot(a) + PR

4. Cain X(b)

5. Fountain Z(b) (and slot back up as long as Campbell is hurt)

6. Campbell Slot(b)  (injured)

--------cut line-------------

7. Pacal X

8. Hogan X

9 Johnson X

10 Dulin X/Z/Slot

11 Ismael Z IR

12 Veasy Z

13 Hart Slot

14 Lewis X

Which would suggest that we keep 6 as long as Campbell is nursing a leg.  Then we cut or trade Rogers in favor of Campbell after he's healthy and we need the space.  I'm assuming Funchess and Campbell were added in the offseason to immediately upgrade the #2 and #3 ranks, (Grant/Inman and Roger's positions) and Cain and Fountain are the developmental guys, leaving Rogers on the bubble when things settle down in a few weeks.

• Like 1

It would be my preference to go with Hilton, Funchess, Campbell, Cain, Fountain, Pascal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

i doubt we have room for that considering our depth across the board

when it comes down to it i say cut Rogers and figure out who else can return punts.  would be nice to hang on to Pascal also, but i dont think KR is worth a roster spot.

If you're hoping for a Rogers cut, as it looks now, you're going to be disappointed. His only true competition thus far was Campbell, who has been out 10+ practices and just had a "setback". And.. he's still taking all the 1st team PR reps in the pre season and practice.

I wouldn't be shocked if they hang on to Pascal, but they've been giving KR reps to others. Dulin (who I don't see as a big threat) took them vs Bills, and Hines (who is a big threat) took 1st team reps in practice this week.

We kept 6 WRs several weeks last year, so it's not like the 53 doesn't fluctuate. And you typically overload on positions where you have weak depth (not solid 2 deep), injuries, or positions where you're injecting new players to the starting lineup. 

Also.... Deciding who to keep is a game of chess in terms of waiving players you want to keep on your PS. You try not to waive a guy you know will get snatched up quickly. And you try to time those waives to disadvantage other teams. 

20 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

If you're hoping for a Rogers cut, as it looks now, you're going to be disappointed. His only true competition thus far was Campbell, who has been out 10+ practices and just had a "setback". And.. he's still taking all the 1st team PR reps in the pre season and practice.

I'm just hoping Fountain makes it, if that means cutting Rogers then I'm for that too.  Cant bet against Pascal either, he is the best blocker and ST player in this group 

I think they want Hines to be the PR so its easier to cut Rogers, but he hasnt been good enough yet

also not reading much into reps and depth charts while Campbell is out with a hamstring.  he could be the PR too

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Which would suggest that we keep 6 as long as Campbell is nursing a leg.  Then we cut or trade Rogers in favor of Campbell after he's healthy and we need the space.  I'm assuming Funchess and Campbell were added in the offseason to immediately upgrade the #2 and #3 ranks, (Grant/Inman and Roger's positions) and Cain and Fountain are the developmental guys, leaving Rogers on the bubble when things settle down in a few weeks.

It's not just about Campbell.

First thing, I wouldn't keep 3 Xs like we did last year. We kept 3 because talent sucked and we had injury issues there. I was a mess of musical chairs all year long at X..... And keeping only one slot and one Z hurt us long term. We ended using X at slot too much, and we had to use Rogers at Z when he got hobbled and shift an X over to slot. Just not a good situation as we saw late in the year.

On Campbell specifically, if he's not back by the week before our final preseason game, I'd put him on IR (return designation). That will keep him out 8 weeks, but protects him and allows for return.

I'd keep Fountain as a Z back-up, but also cross train him as a 3rd X. Long terms, and ideal 5 for me is TY (primary Z), Cain (primary X), Campbell (primary slot but can bounce outside as Reich suggested), Funch (co-X or possession X, and plays a lot at big/bully slot), and Fountain (back up primarily to Z and slot, but can also develop at X).

• Like 1

I think they will end up dropping Pascal.  You can keep Fountain and have Hines and or Fountain return the kickoffs.  Have Rogers and Campbell do the punt return.

Hilton

Campbell

Funchess

Cain

Fountain

Rogers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

I'm just hoping Fountain makes it, if that means cutting Rogers then I'm for that too.  Cant bet against Pascal either, he is the best blocker and ST player in this group 

I think they want Hines to be the PR so its easier to cut Rogers, but he hasnt been good enough yet

Hines is getting reps at KR lately, not PR. Pascal is losing his hold on returns lately, not Rogers.

Rogers isn't getting cut unless Campbell comes back pretty quick (he just had another "setback") and shows he can take slot 100%, and they find a PR. Tall order....

That all could change, but you'd have to see several things occurring over the next couple weeks for Rogers to be cut. 1) Fountain would need to start taking reps at slot, not Z like he has. 2) Other guys getting 1st team reps at PR. or 3) Campbell comes back quickly and takes control (not likely).

It's killing me that Hines isn't looking too hot on KR. So much potential right there and he could kill the opposing defense with that speed. 

While Rogers and Pascal do good on returns, I just don't have faith in them making big, impact plays on em. 

To me it will be the easiest to waive Pascal.  He's probably even got some Practice Squad eligibility in there somewhere.  I could be wrong, but I know there won't be a large demand for his services.

• Like 1