Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Miller's Final Mock- NFL sources say Colts are really wanting Jonathon Abram

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

As tight lipped as Ballard and Co are... aint no way, no how this "source" knows anything about who the colts want.  Heck, Ballard has Irsay's tweeting under control even. 

I agree 100%.... My thought on this though is it's just his Mock Draft. He doesn't have to list NFL sources in it. A mock draft is what he thinks will happen. I wouldn't be surprised though. Abram has said before the Colts have been one of the top teams that has spent the most time with him.

2 minutes ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

I agree 100%.... My thought on this though is it's just his Mock Draft. He doesn't have to list NFL sources in it. A mock draft is what he thinks will happen. I wouldn't be surprised though. Abram has said before the Colts have been one of the top teams that has spent the most time with him.

Yup.  And Burns and Jacobs have been saying the same thing.  

42 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I must say Im not a fan of taking a Safety round 1, but then I saw us getting Sweat at 34 overall so that helped me cope lol. 

I would hate it if the Titans got Simmons at 19 though. 

Miller said he would bet anything that Simmons doesn't make it past the Titans. After really watching Simmons, I get why he's so highly rated, and if the medical and character check out, I can make my peace with drafting him if he makes it to us, but he might now.

I'm not a fan of Abram at #26 either. He's basically a weakside backer who can't cover. He can't play single high, is a liability in man coverage, etc. I'm passing on Abram, but that's just me. If we draft him, I'll go back and really look at him, but I'm not a fan as of right now. 

Sweat at #34 would be intriguing, but if he drops that far, teams must really be concerned about his medical. That's tough to reconcile. And passing on him at #26 would mean we're concerned about his medical, too; I definitely have him ahead of Abram, and feel like there are other safeties who would be available at #34 (in Miller's mock, Gardner-Johnson goes #58). 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

Miller said he would bet anything that Simmons doesn't make it past the Titans. After really watching Simmons, I get why he's so highly rated, and if the medical and character check out, I can make my peace with drafting him if he makes it to us, but he might now.

I'm not a fan of Abram at #26 either. He's basically a weakside backer who can't cover. He can't play single high, is a liability in man coverage, etc. I'm passing on Abram, but that's just me. If we draft him, I'll go back and really look at him, but I'm not a fan as of right now. 

Sweat at #34 would be intriguing, but if he drops that far, teams must really be concerned about his medical. That's tough to reconcile. And passing on him at #26 would mean we're concerned about his medical, too; I definitely have him ahead of Abram, and feel like there are other safeties who would be available at #34 (in Miller's mock, Gardner-Johnson goes #58). 

Agree 100%. However, I don't believe we'll take Abram with the large tier of safeties in the late 1st/early 2nd range. We might at 34 though.

• Like 1

Just now, Superman said:

At #6, Nelson was basically a lock.

yup, but what were folks saying about 36 and 37. 

i can't remember. thought a lot of the buzz was DE, WR, and OT (I know nonsense is a T now, but I don't think that was our intention) for early second.

A while back, Baldinger said the Eagles and Colts want the same player.  Just now on the NFL Network mock draft Baldy mocked Abram to the Eagles.  If he knows something, Abram might be gone at 26.  

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

At #6, Nelson was basically a lock.

I am glad we had the key. :number1:

I have no clue who it comes down to. I just remember last year once we got past Nelson there no one who knew who Ballard was going to take. Once the smoke cleared and everyone got to actually check those players out most were OK with them on a wait and see bases.

Naturally there were those that said players were taken at a reach or complained about there was this player that should have been taken. That comes with the territory.

This year at where we pick there are no clear cut players and or what direction Ballard will go.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, same. Just not a big fan, especially not at #26. I think if we take him it's partly because Ballard's fallen for his character and "tone setter" quality. Just seems like a Ballard guy. 

43 minutes ago, Superman said:

Sweat at #34 would be intriguing, but if he drops that far, teams must really be concerned about his medical. That's tough to reconcile. 

I agree Sweat falling to 34 would raise concerns & be a risk.  But considering the value already received from that Jets trade, I think you could justify gambling a bit with that pick.  (Just a thought, and FWIW, I don't think he falls to 34).

1 minute ago, TonyBungee said:

I agree Sweat falling to 34 would raise concerns & be a risk.  But considering the value already received from that Jets trade, I think you could justify gambling a bit with that pick.  (Just a thought, and FWIW, I don't think he falls to 34).

If the Colts have enough concerns about the medical to pass on him at #26, why gamble on him at #34? Those picks are basically the same.

Related, Rapaport is teasing something big right now about Sweat...

• Like 3

I hated when the Eagles took Barnett in front of us, even though it worked out for us quite alright. That'd be kinda nice if they took Abram in front of us this time, leave us with a possibly solid DL. Eagles love their linemen too though, I won't be surprised if they take somebody I really like right before us once again.

8 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

i can't remember. thought a lot of the buzz was DE, WR, and OT (I know nonsense is a T now, but I don't think that was our intention) for early second.

At #6, you had Nelson, obviously, but people were still hoping Chubb would drop to #6 and many were still looking for another trade down with the Bills at #11.  You also had a lot of Roquan Smith chatter.  Polian was saying Smith, leading up to the draft.

Early in the second, many were looking at Will Hernandez and hoping for Harold Landry, after he dropped 

• Like 1

Now Rapaport is saying teams believe Sweat was initially misdiagnosed, and there's no reason to be concerned about his medical...

What a mess. We'll see if this is true. If Josh Allen and Brian Burns go ahead of Sweat, I'll start thinking teams are still not confident in Sweat's medical...

Edit: By the way, I still have concerns about Sweat's fit in the defense. I think he's a better stand up rush prospect.

19 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I don't remember. I know I wanted Christian Kirk.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Now Rapaport is saying teams believe Sweat was initially misdiagnosed, and there's no reason to be concerned about his medical...

What a mess. We'll see if this is true. If Josh Allen and Brian Burns go ahead of Sweat, I'll start thinking teams are still not confident in Sweat's medical...

Same kind of misdiagnosis they did on Maurice Hurst last year it seems.

59 minutes ago, Superman said:

If I'm the GM, I don't care what other teams think. Unless we think the same thing as the other teams, then I'd welcome Sweat in with a cheerleading outfit on!

Just now, krunk said:

Same kind of misdiagnosis they did on Maurice Hurst last year it seems.

No one ever said Hurst was misdiagnosed. He has a heart condition and has known about it for years.

This report about Sweat is indicating there's nothing there at all.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

If the Colts have enough concerns about the medical to pass on him at #26, why gamble on him at #34? Those picks are basically the same.

The picks aren't the same because there's less talent to choose from at #34 compared to #26, making the best alternative to not picking Sweat less attractive

1 minute ago, BigQungus said:

If I'm the GM, I don't care what other teams think. Unless we think the same thing as the other teams, then I'd welcome Sweat in with a cheerleading outfit on!

Right, as the GM, my team has done all the diligence and has a clear standing on the player. I'm saying from my perspective as a fan, if teams really are concerned about Sweat, enough that he drops from top ten to late 20s, then I don't know how I feel about the Colts taking him.

And since then, more conflicting info has come out. As a fan, I don't have any idea what's true and what isn't. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

The picks aren't the same because there's less talent to choose from at #34 compared to #26, making the best alternative to not picking Sweat less attractive

The only real difference between #26 and #34 this year is the fifth year option. The players ranked from 20-ish to 40-ish are going to be very closely ranked.

But the point is if you don't like his medical at #26 enough that you won't take the risk, there's not enough difference in value at #34 to take the risk. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

I get your point, I just kinda see the 34th pick as almost playing with house money.  And yes, with this latest news, it's probably a moot point now.  

Just now, Superman said:

The only real difference between #26 and #34 this year is the fifth year option. The players ranked from 20-ish to 40-ish are going to be very closely ranked.

But the point is if you don't like his medical at #26 enough that you won't take the risk, there's not enough difference in value at #34 to take the risk. 

i agree, but if you get what you want at 26 and it's a critical need, and sweat is still available at 34, the risk is a bit diminished.

if you wanted to roll the dice and take simmons and sweat at 26 and 34, you could win the lottery.... or get fired.

1 minute ago, TonyBungee said:

I get your point, I just kinda see the 34th pick as almost playing with house money.  And yes, with this latest news, it's probably a moot point now.  

The bolded is what I don't agree with. I wouldn't take anymore risks with #34 than I would with #26, it's still a very valuable pick and I want to maximize my opportunity to hit on that pick. Not be haphazard with it because it's not our original pick. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

If you don't like his medical, then you'll consider him a risk, and depending on how bad you think it is, you'll push him further and further down your draft board, but it doesn't necessarily mean you won't draft him at all.

I guess if what you mean by "not liking his medical" is thinking he'll have a heart attack every time he breaks into a sprint, then I see your point.

20ish-40ish is closely ranked, but it could still make the difference. It all depends on how bad you really think that medical report is.

Anyways, this is kind of irrelevant now with the latest news