Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did Irsay hint that we pursued Mosely and Collins? You be the judge.

JPFolks

Hi Folks, 

I looked but didn't see this discussed, please meld mine into the other if I missed it.  Today on 1070 the fan they discussed Peyton's Future with the Colts and Irsay's discussion with him among a lot of interesting stuff.  But what I didn't see discussed here is that Irsay dropped two positions they pursued by failed, Inside Linebacker and Safety and the guys in the interview said Landon Collins and CJ Mosely.   Both went for more than just about anyone here would have wanted to spend, but can you EVEN imagine having BOTH those guys plus Houston and the MANIAC all starting on D this year?  Many people are favoring us for the Super Bowl now.. imagine that lineup.  

I think All-Star teams rarely work out (didn't say "never") but man, I can't imagine all that firepower and another draft with a couple starters and more depth... can any of you? 

It is discussed from about the 11 minute mark forward and restated directly (for you impatient types) at 12:03 in the talk.  But if you haven't heard the entire discussion, it's full of info you will like including stuff about Ballard's intent to bring the last great Colt's era players back into the fold, beyond Mathis and Manning.  They named Saturday specifically but his young kids mean the timing isn't right NOW, but it was more than implied that once he is more settled, that's likely to happen.  Here's the link.  

The topic I would love to hear from you all is imagine we added Mosely and Collins to what we have plus the draft.   Discuss... 

I think it seemed clear on the first day of FA we tried to get both. There were enough tweets that it seemed like we did. In the end Collins wanted to play in WA. and the bidding got  to high. Same with Mosely.

I don’t think ballard had a problem with the amount per year but no way was he signing them for that many years and that much guaranteed.

30 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think it seemed clear on the first day of FA we tried to get both. There were enough tweets that it seemed like we did. In the end Collins wanted to play in WA. and the bidding got  to high. Same with Mosely.

I don’t think ballard had a problem with the amount per year but no way was he signing them for that many years and that much guaranteed.

I get all that.. it didn't happen.  But for fun (while very little is happening) I thought it would be interesting to mull over what a difference it would make had we signed both of those guys on top of what we have?  Would it mean Super Bowl or bust? Would it be marginal? Would it be too many stars in the mix that would upset the culture? I think it's an interesting topic.  I haven't heard anything about how these guys would or wouldn't fit our "culture" even though we discussed others like the two Pittsburgh players and their baggage to death.   Who would EVER want to go over the middle with these guys lurking? Who could run against them? Who could do much of anything against them.  Not only would it have brought in the firepower, it would have lazer focused the draft picks on the DL, OL, WR, TE, CB with far less worry about the rest of the D.  

It's slow out there.. just thought it would be fun to kick around the interesting interview crumbs.  

39 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I assure you,  I promise you,  Ballard had real problems with both the amount per year and the number of years.     Both went way, way over the previous high mark for their position.    We inquired...   we may have even put in a bid,   but once the price and the terms went insane,  Ballard dropped out....    Those were two of the most egregious contracts of this FA season.  Collins 6/84.  Mostly 5/85.    No one in the NFL likes them.   Bad for business.   In the years to come,  all teams will have to deal with those ridiculous contracts.

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I assure you,  I promise you,  Ballard had real problems with both the amount per year and the number of years.     Both went way, way over the previous high mark for their position.    We inquired...   we may have even put in a bid,   but once the price and the terms went insane,  Ballard dropped out....    Those were two of the most egregious contracts of this FA season.  Collins 6/84.  Mostly 5/85.    No one in the NFL likes them.   Bad for business.   In the years to come,  all teams will have to deal with those ridiculous contracts.

When I saw the reports that we were in on Collins and then the contract, I assumed that 6th year and guaranteed (related), were what put them over the top of us. Nothing to substantiate that thought; just my assertions. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Phil is better actually :funny:

In the air tonight:

I can feel it coming in the air tonight, oh Lord
And I've been waiting for this moment for all my life, oh Lord
Can you feel it coming in the air tonight, oh Lord, oh Lord

Well if you told me you were drowning, I would not lend a hand
I've seen your face before my friend, but I don't know if you know who I am......

I remember hearing it on a Miami Vice episode. ....good stuff. :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

In the air tonight:

I can feel it coming in the air tonight, oh Lord
And I've been waiting for this moment for all my life, oh Lord
Can you feel it coming in the air tonight, oh Lord, oh Lord

Well if you told me you were drowning, I would not lend a hand
I've seen your face before my friend, but I don't know if you know who I am......

I remember hearing it on a Miami Vice episode. ....good stuff. :D

Tonight Tonight Tonight Tonight Oh Oh, Take me Home, Lonely Man on the Corner, Don't Care Anymore, Let it Rain - great stuff.

• Like 1

I don't mind this at all.  Before, we wouldn't even attempt to sign guys.  Now, we actually go out and bid.  I rather the team go out and bid and pull out then to not try at all.  Ballard is right, we have guys to resign before we think about splurging in FA.  I think we'll see more splurging once our core guys are mostly resigned.

But all in all, glad to hear we weren't stagnant.  I understand it's FA and you'll overpay to get what you want, but those guys went for a lot.

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It's like paying 10 bucks for a Big Mac just cause it's right there amd you're starving. Or you can walk a few blocks over and get it for 3. 

More like you can go to 7-11 for some Ice Cream and pay $7 for a pint (or pint-size performance), or go to the grocery store (the draft) and get a gallon (an all pro) for the same price. FA is a horribly expensive way of getting the same production in the draft a great GM can get regularly.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

More like you can go to 7-11 for some Ice Cream and pay $7 for a pint (or pint-size performance), or go to the grocery store (the draft) and get a gallon (an all pro) for the same price. FA is a horribly expensive way of getting the same production in the draft a great GM can get regularly.

I'm getting hungry with all this food talk heh

considering Mosely is now making considerably more than Kuechly and Bobby Wagner... I'd say Ballard was very smart there. Would have it been nice to get both Collins and Mosely? Yep. Would they have made the team better? Absolutely.  Would they have been worth busting your long term cap with those insane contracts? Hell no. 

Theres a lot of hand wringing about the length of these contracts but both of them are realistically only 3 year deals.

Mosley might have got a couple of million more than I thought but like all free agents the success or failure of the signings will be judged purely on how they play, not necessarily whether the team paid a million or two too much.

Theres no trophies given out for having the most money in the bank.

On 3/27/2019 at 9:14 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That Collins contract is outrageous, thank God Ballard didn't sign him for that. He is overrated anyone as a player. 

Mosley's was as well.

But the reporting was that we were bidding on both.  

I doubt Ballard will win too many bidding wars.  He just refuses to over pay.