Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Potential FA Targets prior to Draft

I don't have a crystal ball or tea leaves, but Ballard is consistent in his approach. 

I believe there are a few players that are still young enough to add to our core that may be acsending (in skill) or were otherwise buried on the depth chart elsewhere.

My thoughts turn to the following:

Shane Ray - was a DE in college and supposedly had the quickest first step in the 2015 draft. The Broncos converted him to an OLB and it didn't take that well all things considered. He did have an 8 sack season though.

https://www-milehighreport-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2015/5/1/8526993/2015-nfl-draft-scouting-broncos-edge-rusher-shane-ray?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.milehighreport.com%2F2015%2F5%2F1%2F8526993%2F2015-nfl-draft-scouting-broncos-edge-rusher-shane-ray

Darius Philon - DT - likely wouldn't start but would be an excellent rotation piece with 4 and 4.5 sacks the last two seasons.

Marcus Brown - DT - The anchor of the Patriots DLine. We'll need a replacement for Al Woods and this guy is 7 years younger and brings the experience and locker room presence of 2 Super Bowl wins with him.

Rodney Gunter - DT - much like Philon he would offer some pass rush skills while holding up in the run pretty well.

There are virtually 2 safety's left that could help us.....bring back Geathers on a modest contract or try Tre Boston who can actually man half a field. Both are 27 but Boston doesn't have the injury history. Judging by his scathing comments about his visit last year, I doubt he'd play for us or Ballard would even call?

I think Ray and one of the DT's would give us depth on the dline and use one of our top 3 picks on a Safety if one of those two aren't signed.

Has anyone heard of any standout defensive players from the AAF that could be signed?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I don't have a crystal ball or tea leaves, but Ballard is consistent in his approach. 

I believe there are a few players that are still young enough to add to our core that may be acsending (in skill) or were otherwise buried on the depth chart elsewhere.

Shane Ray - was a DE in college and supposedly had the quickest first step in the 2015 draft. The Broncos converted him to an OLB and it didn't take that well all things considered. He did have an 8 sack season though.

https://www-milehighreport-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2015/5/1/8526993/2015-nfl-draft-scouting-broncos-edge-rusher-shane-ray?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.milehighreport.com%2F2015%2F5%2F1%2F8526993%2F2015-nfl-draft-scouting-broncos-edge-rusher-shane-ray

Darius Philon - DT - likely wouldn't start but would be an excellent rotation piece with 4 and 4.5 sacks the last two seasons.

Marcus Brown - DT - The anchor of the Patriots DLine. We'll need a replacement for Al Woods and this guy is 7 years younger and brings the experience and locker room presence of 2 Super Bowl wins with him.

Rodney Gunter - DT - much like Philon he would offer some pass rush skills while holding up in the run pretty well.

There are virtually 2 safety's left that could help us.....bring back Geathers on a modest contract or try Tre Boston who can actually man half a field. Both are 27 but Boston doesn't have the injury history. Judging by his scathing comments about his visit last year, I doubt he'd play for us or Ballard would even call?

I think Ray and one of the DT's would give us depth on the dline and use one of our top 3 picks on a Safety if one of those two aren't signed.

Has anyone heard of any standout defensive players from the AAF that could be signed?

I could be wrong but I think the Saints already signed Marcus Brown

and I would love to have Tre Boston but I vaguely remember us hosting him last year and he detailing how offended he was w out visit. I could be remembering wrong or confusing him w another of our visits, but if it was him and I remember correctly he complained about being low balled contractually and not getting to meet with anyone of importance In our leadership. I remember something about him having lunch and playing basketball but having nobody of importance bother to meet w him. Shortly after Arizona wooed him and signed him. So not sure if he’d bother with us again or us with him either. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

and I would love to have Tre Boston but I vaguely remember us hosting him last year and he detailing how offended he was w out visit. I could be remembering wrong or confusing him w another of our visits, but if it was him and I remember correctly he complained about being low balled contractually and not getting to meet with anyone of importance In our leadership. I remember something about him having lunch and playing basketball but having nobody of importance bother to meet w him. Shortly after Arizona wooed him and signed him. So not sure if he’d bother with us again or us with him either. 

Don't go away mad. just go away. haha

I had forgotten about that incident. I guess he wasn't shown the attention he so desired?

16 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

You are correct on both points.

Brown has signed, and Boston had a poor experience with us last week.  

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

I sure would like to know how his wrist injury turned out.  Looks like he lost his starting job to their new phenom rookie when he finally got back.  Shame.

I'm interested.

Looks like news out of Denver is that he's gonna want to start wherever he goes, and we're not gonna be able to guarantee him that.

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

What about any standout OFFENSIVE players from the AAF or  Offensive players in Free Agency?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I sure would like to know how his wrist injury turned out.  Looks like he lost his starting job to their new phenom rookie when he finally got back.  Shame.

So you’re saying it’s a shame about ray?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

What about any standout OFFENSIVE players from the AAF or  Offensive players in Free Agency?

I imagine the trouble is that offensively there is not much out there better than what we have. 

We are already kicking the tires on Ajayi who is the best remaining back out there.

I wish we would go after another WR. Doubt we plan to. If we did there are some older guys who could be nice on 1 year deals. Guys out there like Crabtree, Dez Bryant, Cobb, Inman could all take up a roster spot over some of the bottom of the order WRs we have if we truly wanted the best guy available out on the field. I think we will develop our young guys more and that will limit that.

TE is picked clean other than Jared Cook who is older and we don't need and ASJ who has underachieved his whole career essentially.

OL-wise we are fairly set but all of the backup talent is older unless you take a flier on a guy like George Fant as a swing tackle. But I am not sure he is much better than our backups we currently have anyhow.

I think offensively if we do anything it'll be to try to get Ajayi on a reasonable deal and maybe kick the tires on another WR (though that is unlikely).

I am much more interested in some of the defensive line talent still out there that is young and has upside:

T.Jernigan (26)

D.Philon (25)

M.Wilkerson (29- older and coming off injury but used to be a game-wrecker)

S.Ray (26)

A.Lynch (26)

I still hope we make a handful of moves to strengthen our depth and add competition for starting spots before all is said and done.

7 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm interested.

Looks like news out of Denver is that he's gonna want to start wherever he goes, and we're not gonna be able to guarantee him that.

I think CB will not promise anyone coming in a starters position, however he will promise a fair chance to win the starting job over guys who are currently on staff or picked in the draft. He has consistently preached competition and the coach now isn’t squishy Chuck who chose many spots based on how buddy buddy he was with them vs their play on the field. I feel like Shane could get plenty of snaps but ultimately, he would go wherever the team will pay him the most over being named a “starter” imho. 

13 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

That is the story I recall as well....we shall see what happens I guess. 

Hooker and Boston covering the deep halves would be great to imagine though....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm interested.

Closest Ballard would do is offer the opportunity to earn it....which I would think every team would/should the same thing?

Could he start over Turay or Lewis.....its possible....

12 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Honestly, I think Ballard will let the development of our young stable of running backs come to fruition first and see what we have in Cain and Fountain before adding free agents to the offense.

Just my opinion of course.

• Like 1

I did find what could be a hidden gem that is a safety in the AAF. I think AAF players can be signed on draft day weekend when their season is over, if I am not mistaken?

Some of you may remember his name from the draft last year:   Kameron Kelly 

He was a hybrid S/CB for San Diego State.

There are plenty of highlight videos of him and A LOT of articles wondering why he went undrafted. 

He currently is leading the AAF in interceptions with 3 so he may be a 'gamer' and not a 'tester'?

6'2" and 204 with decent cover skills but so-so tested speed at 4.6. No reason why he couldn't play the Geathers role? Or perhaps he stays deep and Farley plays the Geathers role?

Google him, there is a ton of info on him!

From what your saying about this ray person that could be the kind of guy Ballard is looking for. Sounds like he played out of position. Put him back where he belongs and he could flourish. 

I dont think we really need anything on offense. People are  going to be disapointed when we don’t draft a WR until late. Only way we draft one early is if one of the studs is there. Ballard will let the three guys on rookie contracts develop first. We could still sign Inman for depth but that is all I see.

I liked Ray as a prospect and I thought he would have been perfect  DE but Denver, of course, had to move him to LB.  He would interest me now but I thought he also had injury issues at Denver.  Not sure about that though.  I think there is a good chance we sit tight and wait for more players to be cut.  Ajai being the exception.  I am expecting us to sign him if he passes the physical.  We haven't made any trades yet and I am expecting we will.  Ballard has always been active using that resource.