Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Some initial draft thoughts...........

1) Jerry Tillary MAY be a good choice for us at 26, if the top 4-5 DEs and 3techs are already gone

Watch the highlights AND the game tape.......  the guy penetrates and splits double teams.... just what is needed

2) Jachai Polite, may actually slide to the 26th spot (I still like him over Tillary)

Every year, a talented person slides due to rumors, or a poor combine performance. This years slider may be Polite

The guy can play. Watch the highlights and game tape. ....... the guy has some great closing speed

He interviewed poorly.  If he is on the CB radar, and he interviews better.......  he would be a great pickup IMHO

His measured 40 times were not consistent with his game tape (I think he actually WAS injured)

His pro day and future interviews, will tell if he is late 1st or a mid second pick

3) I continue to see folks that want us to get a CB in round one

First off.  This defense is NOT predicated on having a shut down, man to man Corner. The vast majority of the time, a CB in this defense

is in a zone scheme.    This means they must keep the action in front of them, and have the ability to tackle.

The FS, is to cover a receiver, when he starts to  get past the LBs and the CBs (This is why you need an excellent FS, to play this defense)

A man to man, shut down corner is in very high demand, and is very expensive. They go in round one. They get paid 10-12Mil Plus per year

To survive, they have to run at (or better) the speed of the WRS.......  a 4.55 to 4.6 forty, usually means a CB CANNOT play this defense

The number of 4.4 CBs are much smaller vs the number of 4.5 to 4.6 40 CBs .........  They are at a premium

This cover 2 (or 1) defense can actually SHINE with CBs that you can find in round 2-5...... or a player that makes 4-6 million.

This is why the choice of a first round CB, FOR THIS CURRENT DEFENSE, at this time.......  isnt a great choice

If we had a team that was very solid with depth, we could consider, drafting a CB at 32....... it might make sense.......

but this team has ENORMOUS holes to fill (Our defense is short 2-3 desperately needed playmakers in the front 7) 

4) I continue to see folks that want us to get a WR in round one

This is a tougher one, as I see that we actually NEED a WR.

It really comes down to this...... Is a pass rush (we had almost none the second half of the season) more important than a second WR?

We have a single star in Hilton, and a decent player in Inman.  Our pass offense, is a top 10 with what we already have

We also use the TEs as slot receivers more than most teams

I think (hopefully) that one of the rookies will improve enough to play the game (Cain), as well as one of the other guys that came in 2018.

BUT.... an additional an additional WR is STILL a need.........  There are some great talents that should be available in round 2

Butler, Campbell, to name a couple

A point to consider....... this zone defense fails miserably without a pass rush...... no zone defense can survive, if the QB has all day to throw

Lastly........ and maybe most importantly, in an interview, CB stated the FANs want a WR.........While he continues to talk about the need of DL

He also continues to spout the mantra of "BUILD THE LINES FIRST".......  I think we saw his FOCUS on OL, last year.....  I would be very surprised if

he didnt go DL (and maybe an OL pick) early and often in rounds 1-4.

CB..... so far... is a man of his words

So to me........  with the excellent 2nd round available WRs to pick......  we choose DL over WR

5) I may be in a minority here, but I do think we need some help at SS

Geathers had some decent games near the end of last year. He played the part.

However, he does have clunker games, and is not available due to injury..... WAY TOO MUCH

I think Hooker will continue to get his elite speed back and go back to the player that we saw before his injury. I think FS is good for now.

There are some great talents that you will see run today in the combine......  Keep your eyes on Adderly, Rapp, or Gardner Johnson..... these 3 could be a great fit for this defense.

I think Deonte Thompson will also one to consider. He didnt have a great year as a FS, and was torched by a few.  But...... watch his 2017 tape.  He played some in the box and it looked like a perfect fit, he was a very sure tackler.

6) I HOPE that we grab a FA on S, DL, AND WR......... 

This makes the holes less deep, even if a rookie needs some time to develop (Most do)

I continue to hold out hope for Collins.  

• Like 4

Round 1 - Tillery or Polite would be great. We need pass rush. WR would be fine early in Round 2 with either a safety or corner (that can play some man defense) later in the round. That said, I still would like Landon Collins, if possible.

4 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

First off.  This defense is NOT predicated on having a shut down, man to man Corner. The vast majority of the time, a CB in this defense

is in a zone scheme.    This means they must keep the action in front of them, and have the ability to tackle.

The FS, is to cover a receiver, when he starts to  get past the LBs and the CBs (This is why you need an excellent FS, to play this defense)

A man to man, shut down corner is in very high demand, and is very expensive. They go in round one. They get paid 10-12Mil Plus per year

To survive, they have to run at (or better) the speed of the WRS.......  a 4.55 to 4.6 forty, usually means a CB CANNOT play this defense

The number of 4.4 CBs are much smaller vs the number of 4.5 to 4.6 40 CBs .........  They are at a premium

This cover 2 (or 1) defense can actually SHINE with CBs that you can find in round 2-5...... or a player that makes 4-6 million.

This is why the choice of a first round CB, FOR THIS CURRENT DEFENSE, at this time.......  isnt a great choice

If we had a team that was very solid with depth, we could consider, drafting a CB at 32....... it might make sense.......

but this team has ENORMOUS holes to fill (Our defense is short 2-3 desperately needed playmakers in the front 7)

Your CB in the first round comment isn't exactly accurate. Yes this defense is about playing zone, however that is not the case when playing against the top wr on the team. Desir and Moore were basically playing man against Hopkins because if we let him run against our zone, he'll find the opening every time. The idea of drafting a CB in the first round is to supplement the very real scenario that a top DL or EDGE won't fall to us. There is more then one way to get pressure on a QB and playing coverage is one of them. Getting a shut down CB means one half of the field is gone and the other half has rolled coverage.   

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Your CB in the first round comment isn't exactly accurate. Yes this defense is about playing zone, however that is not the case when playing against the top wr on the team. Desir and Moore were basically playing man against Hopkins because if we let him run against our zone, he'll find the opening every time. The idea of drafting a CB in the first round is to supplement the very real scenario that a top DL or EDGE won't fall to us. There is more then one way to get pressure on a QB and playing coverage is one of them. Getting a shut down CB means one half of the field is gone and the other half has rolled coverage.   

I would be willing to wager 3 to 1 that they DONT go CB with round 1 pick

You are correct.....There IS some man-to-man, in many cases, when we force a blitz........   Moore and Desir were good enough and DID cover Hopkins on the times they led with man to man coverage.  I see both guys coming back. Desir is good ZONE CB...... he shouldnt get 10-15million

I dont see a CB being brought in (And I think we NEED to add a CB from this draft)...... but not in round one

Again........  I'm willing to bet on it

8 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

You are correct.....There IS some man-to-man, in many cases, when we force a blitz........   Moore and Desir were good enough and DID cover Hopkins on the times they led with man to man coverage.  I see both guys coming back. Desir is good ZONE CB...... he shouldnt get 10-15million

I dont see a CB being brought in (And I think we NEED to add a CB from this draft)...... but not in round one

I don't think they make any pick in the first round. I think they trade down and I also think the colts let Desir walk.

6 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

1) Jerry Tillary MAY be a good choice for us at 26, if the top 4-5 DEs and 3techs are already gone

Watch the highlights AND the game tape.......  the guy penetrates and splits double teams.... just what is needed

2) Jachai Polite, may actually slide to the 26th spot (I still like him over Tillary)

Every year, a talented person slides due to rumors, or a poor combine performance. This years slider may be Polite

The guy can play. Watch the highlights and game tape. ....... the guy has some great closing speed

He interviewed poorly.  If he is on the CB radar, and he interviews better.......  he would be a great pickup IMHO

His measured 40 times were not consistent with his game tape (I think he actually WAS injured)

His pro day and future interviews, will tell if he is late 1st or a mid second pick

4) I continue to see folks that want us to get a WR in round one

This is a tougher one, as I see that we actually NEED a WR.

It really comes down to this...... Is a pass rush (we had almost none the second half of the season) more important than a second WR?

We have a single star in Hilton, and a decent player in Inman.  Our pass offense, is a top 10 with what we already have

We also use the TEs as slot receivers more than most teams

I think (hopefully) that one of the rookies will improve enough to play the game (Cain), as well as one of the other guys that came in 2018.

BUT.... an additional an additional WR is STILL a need.........  There are some great talents that should be available in round 2

Butler, Campbell, to name a couple

A point to consider....... this zone defense fails miserably without a pass rush...... no zone defense can survive, if the QB has all day to throw

Lastly........ and maybe most importantly, in an interview, CB stated the FANs want a WR.........While he continues to talk about the need of DL

He also continues to spout the mantra of "BUILD THE LINES FIRST".......  I think we saw his FOCUS on OL, last year.....  I would be very surprised if

he didnt go DL (and maybe an OL pick) early and often in rounds 1-4.

CB..... so far... is a man of his words

So to me........  with the excellent 2nd round available WRs to pick......  we choose DL over WR

5) I may be in a minority here, but I do think we need some help at SS

Geathers had some decent games near the end of last year. He played the part.

However, he does have clunker games, and is not available due to injury..... WAY TOO MUCH

I think Hooker will continue to get his elite speed back and go back to the player that we saw before his injury. I think FS is good for now.

There are some great talents that you will see run today in the combine......  Keep your eyes on Adderly, Rapp, or Gardner Johnson..... these 3 could be a great fit for this defense.

I think Deonte Thompson will also one to consider. He didnt have a great year as a FS, and was torched by a few.  But...... watch his 2017 tape.  He played some in the box and it looked like a perfect fit, he was a very sure tackler.

6) I HOPE that we grab a FA on S, DL, AND WR......... 

This makes the holes less deep, even if a rookie needs some time to develop (Most do)

I continue to hold out hope for Collins.  

Trust me you're not alone on wanting a SS honestly I want that position upgraded more than anything. being one of the worst teams at covering TEs is horrible.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Dear God!    What us the matter here?   How many times must Chris Ballard say the same thing over and over again?

Cornerback is NOT a premium position in his defense.   He has said we do not have to use a premium draft pick to field the position.   

Carolina has had good defenses for years.   Play zone.   Most of their cornerbacks have been drafted in Day 3.

All this other nonsense is a lame attempt to justify the ridiculous... drafting a corner in the first round.  It’s crazy talk.

Flat!   Out!    Crazy!

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dear God!    What us the matter here?   How many times must Chris Ballard say the same thing over and over again?

Cornerback is NOT a premium position in his defense.   He has said we do not have to use a premium draft pick to field the position.   

Carolina has had good defenses for years.   Play zone.   Most of their cornerbacks have been drafted in Day 3.

All this other nonsense is a lame attempt to justify the ridiculous... drafting a corner in the first round.  It’s crazy talk.

Flat!   Out!    Crazy!

Lets calm it down. I have mentioned a number of times we'll trade down. 

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Polite threw up some red flags with his attitude. 

Polite is one of my least favorite players in the draft.   He is NOT a scheme fit.

Polite is small, 6’2” and 240-ish.  He’s got short arms.   He’s a 3-4 OLB.   Ballard wants someone long, with first step quickness.   I’m not even worried about putting on bad weight and running slow.    He’s not a fit in this defense.    Square peg; round hole.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Polite is one of my least favorite players in the draft.   He is NOT a scheme fit.

Polite is small, 6’2” and 240-ish.  He’s got short arms.   He’s a 3-4 OLB.   Ballard wants someone long, with first step quickness.   I’m not even worried about putting on bad weight and running slow.    He’s not a fit in this defense.    Square peg; round hole.

Not to mention he tested horribly at the combine and blew his interviews. I'm not seeing him in a Colts uniform. 

If you're looking for an impact  pass rusher that could fall to #26, Brian Burns fits that bill. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Flat!   Out!    Crazy!

This defense evolved over the course of 2018.  I suspect both Eberflus and Ballard came to a few realizations during the course of the season.  Ballard himself said we have to get better in man, especially on 3rd down.   

Doesn't mean he'll draft a corner in the 1st, but I wouldn't rule out any position.  I'm fairly certain Ballard doesn't look at things or operate like that.  

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thank you. Yeah there's no way I see Ballard drafting him. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

I have a feeling Jalen Collins is the wildcard here.

I was definitely against taking a WR in the first round but there are some wideouts in this draft with some freak traits.  Size, speed, hands and other things.  If one of them is there at 26 and it's a fit.  I mean a guy with a high score on him more so than the DE or DT that's on the board I might be down with it.  Reich said they were looking for a "Dog" #2 receiver so I wouldn't put it past them to take one high this time around.

42 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Not to mention he tested horribly at the combine and blew his interviews. I'm not seeing him in a Colts uniform. 

If you're looking for an impact  pass rusher that could fall to #26, Brian Burns fits that bill. 

And it's really too bad about Polite, as you'd like as many guys, as possible, who you're not interested in, to be picked ahead of you. Push more of real interest down to us.

• Like 2