Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Statue Or No Statue?

shakedownstreet

138 members have voted

1. 1. will there be a statue?

• yes
    • no

i think yes. i have talked to some people who think i am nuts. i think irsay would spearhead it & pay for it if necessary. this city has way too few statues honoring our hometown greats. the fact there is no kurt vonnegut statue is criminal

it would be like a tourist attraction, and add to the interesting sights to see in our beautiful city. any football fan from anywhere knows who peyton is. and most admire him deeply

i think right in front of lucas oil stadium seems most appropriate, but i could also see it near the convention center on the nuetral ground of georgia street. it would be a lot more accessible to foot traffic there

the man brought us our first major league sports championship. and the lombardi is by far the biggest of them all. he built lucas oil stadium (with his bare hands), and the drop dead gorgeous jw marriot hotel and expanded convention center. he brought a super bowl to the city and instilled a great sense of civic pride in our fine citizens. we used to be offended by the term naptown. now we embrace it. that all goes back to peyton. this city has changed for the good forever

of course this won't be appropriate until he actually retires

If the Colts don't build it for him the city should. That man IMO has done more for this city than any athlete has ever done for a city. People who quesiton that should really watch from Naptown to Super City. Peyton Manning had so much to do with Indianapolis becoming a major player for major events and that would have never have happened without him. Yes other players helped take us from Naptown to a good sports city but Peyton helped take Indianapolis to the next level.

someone was arguing with me that if we have a peyton statue, then we should have a reggie (miller) statue. yes reggie was a great personality and player. but he never won a championship and he was never the best overall player in the league. plus the nba doesn't have the financial footprint that the nfl has, not remotely close

someone was arguing with me that if we have a peyton statue, then we should have a reggie (miller) statue. yes reggie was a great personality and player. but he never won a championship and he was never the best overall player in the league. plus the nba doesn't have the financial footprint that the nfl has, not remotely close

I love Reggie Miller but even Reggie Miller didn't do for this city what Peyton Manning did. Reggie Miller said so himself the other night when asked about Peyton Manning leaving the city of Indianapolis.

you do realise that we the colts that is will have the first team to have a colt statue erected in 2 different cities. manning in indy and unitas in baltimore each with horseshoe helmets.

Ah, But our horseshoe will be better than theirs

i still worry peyton won't want it. he's too darn humble, just the opposite of the arrogant unitas

Well it's probably not Peyton's call. If Irsay wants to build one what is Peytong going to do lay down on the sight and say no statue? I mean I can see it going like this:

Peyton: Gezz Jim I really wish you wouldn't I don't want that or I don't deserve that

Irsay: Peyton, it's my money and for everything you did for this team and city you more than deserve it. Hang on let me tweet real quick, where was I? Oh yeah the statue, we just want to say thank you.

I have a feeling it put to Peyton like that Peyton will be deeply humbled by it and like everything else in his life handle it like a professional even if it's not what he wants.

Well it's probably not Peyton's call. If Irsay wants to build one what is Peytong going to do lay down on the sight and say no statue? I mean I can see it going like this:

Peyton: Gezz Jim I really wish you wouldn't I don't want that or I don't deserve that

Irsay: Peyton, it's my money and for everything you did for this team and city you more than deserve it. Hang on let me tweet real quick, where was I? Oh yeah the statue, we just want to say thank you.

I have a feeling it put to Peyton like that Peyton will be deeply humbled by it and like everything else in his life handle it like a professional even if it's not what he wants.

it's more for the pride of the city than it is for peyton. we want visitors to see it and say 'yep, there's the greatest of all time'. that's why peyton should be on board with it

but i do believe if peyton seriously requested it not to happen, then the wishes would be respected

This is a tough one in my opinion on one hand you have a man that brought us a championship, lets not all act like he single handedly brought the colts to eing relevant or popular in indiana, anyone remember that dropped pass in the endzone against the steeelers in the Harbaugh days? Manning however did bring the popularity or attention to the colts to a whole new level, Im not ready to say yes right now as I dont even know dor sure if he is going to retire a colt AFTER ALL, he didnt seem to willing to take a pay cut for the better of the team, with that said business is business and despite him not taking a pay cut (in My opinion he should have) if he retires a colt I will vote yes on the statue, also Reggie was a kid out of UCLA who no one wanted here in Indiana, He became at one the all time leader in three point field goals made, is the Pacers ALL TIME leading scorer, in My opinon made the Pacers popular and provided us with 20 great years of STAYING WITH ONE TEAM, took us to the finals and flat out captured the hearts of nearly all of us in Indiana, provided us special moments back in the rivalry days of likes the NBA hasnt seen since especially the new look pacers who are still trying to find themselves as a team, long story short, Im holding off on My judgement for a statue on Manning, but REGGIE, thats a no brainer in my book, he should get his statue

This is a tough one in my opinion on one hand you have a man that brought us a championship, lets not all act like he single handedly brought the colts to being relevant or popular in indiana

The success we've enjoyed is 100% because of him. No, he couldn't of done it alone, but in the 13 years he spent here, there was only one other player on any of those rosters that was irreplaceable.....#88. Mqanning was the only constant, the only one that could not have been replaced.

he didnt seem to willing to take a pay cut for the better of the team.....(in My opinion he should have)

It isn't even about the money. Irsay cut him because of the conflict that would've arouse with the drafting of Luck. Frankly, I think it would have been an insult to Manning to take one cent less than the money he agreed to last year.

This is a tough one in my opinion on one hand you have a man that brought us a championship, lets not all act like he single handedly brought the colts to eing relevant or popular in indiana, anyone remember that dropped pass in the endzone against the steeelers in the Harbaugh days? Manning however did bring the popularity or attention to the colts to a whole new level, Im not ready to say yes right now as I dont even know dor sure if he is going to retire a colt AFTER ALL, he didnt seem to willing to take a pay cut for the better of the team, with that said business is business and despite him not taking a pay cut (in My opinion he should have) if he retires a colt I will vote yes on the statue, also Reggie was a kid out of UCLA who no one wanted here in Indiana, He became at one the all time leader in three point field goals made, is the Pacers ALL TIME leading scorer, in My opinon made the Pacers popular and provided us with 20 great years of STAYING WITH ONE TEAM, took us to the finals and flat out captured the hearts of nearly all of us in Indiana, provided us special moments back in the rivalry days of likes the NBA hasnt seen since especially the new look pacers who are still trying to find themselves as a team, long story short, Im holding off on My judgement for a statue on Manning, but REGGIE, thats a no brainer in my book, he should get his statue

If you think that is the reason he isn't a Colt you are mistaken.