Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

50 years ago today...

Dingus McGirt

9 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

The Baltimore Colts were beaten by the New York Jets in Superbowl III.  A dark, dark day in the life of then 13 year-old me.

Same here as well.  I was 9 at the time.  Everybody else had a favorite team, but I didn't.  Colts were heavily favored, so why not choose them as my favorite, right?

Needless to say it was a tough game to watch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

The Baltimore Colts were beaten by the New York Jets in Superbowl III.  A dark, dark day in the life of then 13 year-old me.

What is worse I live in NY Metro area (die hard Jet fan buddy lived next house over ). Everyone in my high school class knew I was ONLY Colts fan in the whole school......Major...….MAJOR crow eating was part of my life for quite a while !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Tahoe said:

Didn't the outcome of that Super Bowl end up being the catalyst for the NFL that we have today? Instead of AFL and NFL

That started the movement....

Then,  the next year,  Kansas City upset Minnesota in SB 4.    So, the upstart AFL had upset the established NFL back to back years.     That pushed things over the top.

And the rest is history......

• Like 3

I was 5 years old that day but didn’t know about the loss until I picked  the Colts as my team in Super Bowl 5 against the Cowboys.  They would show highlights of Namath and his prediction for years and J would get mad.  But good news is the Colts have been my team ever since.